Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #24,467 of 62,454
same here. and with the right eq I find these Apollo very enjoyable

umh.... I'm not hearing any difference with ANC on or off.... both with aptX and AAC (which I prefer)

I haven't checked the codec being used but I can't imagine it would make a difference, when ANC is turned on there is a massive bass boost that makes them pretty much unusable, I'm pretty sure others had commented on that too. Maybe there are different hardware/firmware versions...

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #24,469 of 62,454
I must admit that the sound character of the Apollo Bold's has changed considerably since I first got them. To the point where I feel compelled to amend my review (which I will do when time permits). Whilst I still find them a little too bassy for my tastes, they are really beginning to show some interesting qualities. Whilst I still prefer the sound of the Sony WF1000XM3's by a long way, I have found that they make for good low-volume listening.

I was the same. I've had to go and change all my reviews.

I played a reference track by St Etienne in FLAC I use to determine whether it's worth even bothering doing the acoustic tests etc. They didn't just pass, they performed in a way that every stellar set of overear headphones should, let alone TWS.

Since I've done all the tests, the only thing I noticed ironically is the treble notches a touch early. This is why sound is so subjective. I think it's from years of damaging my ears playing my HD25SP'S too loud over the monitors when djing.

Otherwise, they are fantastic. I never, ever thought a set of wireless earbuds would move out of the 'consumer quality' space. Tronsmart Spunky Beats, Boltune BT-BH024, Tronsmart Onyx Free, Soundpeats True Dot...these are all 'consumer quality sound'

Fiil T1X, Sabbat (can't remember the part number, something 12 I think), possibly the Edifier NB & Ugreen Hitune...well they're the top end of consumer quality.

The Apollo defy all logic. They're borderline audiophile quality, if not audiophile quality with the right tips.

Yes, they use the new Qualcomm chip and of course that gives you an advantage, but you still have to get the drivers right.

If you play a badly produced house track at full volume it may clip. The track I played that clipped when I first reviewed them stuck with me so I played it through two sets of studio speakers- my own trusty old Behringer Truths and my friends far better professional setup. The track still clipped. This is a track supposedly produced by a well-known Scottish dance music producer and the song IIRC got in the top 10 of the UK charts!

The point is in line with everyone else's point on the Apollo so far. Not that they need wearing in - I don't actually believe in that phenomena - but that after a greater set of reference tracks and a broader comparison across a more varied set of receivers, you can better judge the true quality.

Getting multipoint to work on them this weekend was another nice surprise. Don't ask me how, but after 3 days of trying and failing I suddenly heard my phone interrupt my webinar! I was like...ummm...What!

I still think these have a bit of work to be done. The tear shape ends are uncomfortable if you use the buds the way the manual tells you to. And the ikko tips are good, but still not the most comfortable. We need some custom tips for these without a doubt. After 1 day of solid use I had a bit of discomfort in one ear, nothing unusual, but an area for improvement.

I have also put the tips from the Apollo on the Onyx Free and wow, they are now super comfy! The onyx Free are too small to suit foam tips so quality silicone ones make all the difference.

I've got the True Engine 3se and a few others on the way, will be interesting to see how they fare, but this was definitely a lesson learned for me, don't write a set of earbuds off so quickly...something I would never do with over ear headphones. I think I've been indoctrinated with the assumption BT5 makes good wireless sound impossible..well, I was wrong

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #24,470 of 62,454
Apollo bold or Sony xm3 anyone got both of them? Which one would you recommend?
I have tried both.

Unfortunately, I can only base my view of the Sony on the firmware they released them with. I understand they've improved them with a subsequent release.

Microphone quality is better on the Sony, I assume due to the shape.

Sound quality and latency is, on Android, far superior on the Apollo. On iPhone, they sound about the same. On Windows, they also sound the same. Objectively, the FR is close to identical.

Connectivity was rock solid on the Sony, I've had a few minor issues with the Apollo but they are being ironed out and were 'teething problems' that I think are now being sorted.

ANC is I think marginally stronger on the Sony but there's very little in it, and the SQ on the Apollo is better when ANC is on.

If it were me, I would, and have decided to, keep the Tronsmart, but I haven't tried the Sony since they released the new firmware so bear that in mind. The shape of the Sony is something they can't sort with the firmware and that was one of my biggest bug bears.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #24,472 of 62,454
I feel that at $80, the original Galaxy Buds aren't going to fall farther in price anymore, but the Buds + should be dropping to 100-120 sooon now, I think...
Like so? :wink:
C7D63E2F-91E8-4C4E-9969-DE464448D4CA.jpeg

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #24,474 of 62,454
Back to the Tronsmart Apollo, I got them to multipoint this weekend!
umh... I have tried to connect to a different source, and with a new pairing it worked flawlessy, but you need to pair again to the other source in case of switching. is this you mean by multipoint?

edit: don't mind, have read your comment above... I will try tomorrow since I have seveal zoom calls :D

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #24,476 of 62,454
I ordered 2 pair of Tranya T10's 08/02 - one from Tranya - $58.78 shipped, and one from Amazon UK $42.23 - both had promo discounts. Today I received the Tranya T10 from Amazon Uk 08/05, and also received the shipping notice from Tranya today.

I've charged the T10's and connected them to my Windows 10 PC, and so far I'm liking what I am hearing - and the BT connection is stable, with no drama.

I also tried enabling the Loudness enhancement in Windows for the Tranya T10 device, and wow does it kick out solid bass. Very nice.

The rest of the range is filling out, I'll play them a few days before judging, but I think they sound great. I'm glad I ordered 2, at least right now I am :wink:

I'll update as I discover anything of interest - I do appreciate the 1-tap volume up / down, that's very nice.
These tips make everything sound better - they fit me perfectly, I'm on my 5th pair - used on the Tranya T10 and they really sound great now - good with the stock tips - amazing with these AZLA SednaEarfit ML's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GF9N81

On IEM's the size is no issue, on the KZ S2's they don't cause any fitment in the case issues, but for the Tranya T10 they keep the lid from closing - so I used a triple wrapped rubber band to keep it closed so the T10's can charge :)

I haven't yet received the pair purchased direct from Tranya, but the pair that arrived from Amazon are amazing. Great bass, great sound stage, airy, detailed and no BT connection issues at all. I haven't run them dry yet, but I'll do that soon to see how long the runtime is.

I have some SednaEarfitLight Short Low profile tips to try - somewhere, those should fit the case better...:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XQM2YP

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #24,477 of 62,454
Hi,

I wish you are fine!!! I have been following this thread about one year (more or less) but I had never written, hello everyone!. I love the freedom that TWS give you but I also know that the sound quality is low in comparison with wired ones although I think everything is improving. My iems, that I use everyday, are the CA Andromeda and some other on rotation (Blon BL03, 1 more triple...).

I would like to buy the best possible sounding TWS, and I have read all the recent posts, reviewed the Scabir web but I am a bit confused. I have a Cambridge Audio Melomania and I have tested extensively the Creative Outlier Gold from my wife. Last week I ordered a pair of Sony XM3 and I have been testing them yesterday. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I don't find them better sounding than my Melomania, might be only marginal. I have tried different tips, Comply, SpinFit and I find that the best sound is with the SpinFit 360. I am thinking about returning them.

What do you suggest? I live in Spain and some models are not easy to buy, for example, the Nuarl ones. I was wondering if some other models would be only a small improvement over my Melomania or the Sonys or if there is something significantly better. I use Android as OS.

Thanks in advance and all greetings from Spain!!!.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #24,478 of 62,454
that could be... I'm listening right now with them and can confirm I cannot hear any difference. could also be I'm defintely deaf :ksc75smile:
No difference for me at all either. Could be the receiver, the quality of the mixdown of the tracks, the natural eq of the receiver...so many variables.

I just don't hear the bass issue. Testing is showing a really nice round off at 20Hz and a gradual dip from 40Hz to 20Hz. ANC on/off they are doing exactly what they say on the specification sheet (which is usually under conditions that suit the vendor - not so here). If anything they are not quite reaching the 20KHz top end, but the bass is spot on with an aptx stream.

I don't have any tools to measure performance on iPhone but subjectively it definitely doesn't sound as good, but that's Apple for you!

BTW....I realise my sudden appearance on the forum and strong defence of the Apollo is making me sound like a Tronsmart shill :D Well I'm not, quite the opposite.

I've been reviewing earbuds on and off throughout lockdown. I use the same username on hotukdeals, where I've been a member for about 15 years.

My over-ear go-to is the Avantree Aria Pro, a super all rounder: their sq is nothing to get excited about, NC is ordinary, but they are just so clean - everything works flawlessly. Multipoint is solid, controls are intuitive, latency is the best I've ever found.

I give my kids Plantronics headphones because their sound is super flat. They're not making the same mistake I did when I was younger!

I also really like the Boltune BT-BH024, for stem-designed buds they are really smart. When I reviewed them on Amazon, I removed one star for including a voucher in the box in exchange for a 5 star review. Despite that, I still endorse the product, even if they've never responsed to any of my recommendations.

I returned two sets of early Tronsmart buds because of the controls. I never contacted them directly but I understand that my findings were in keeping with other reviews. They clearly listened. They released the Onyx Free that took all the best elements of the Spunky Beats and Neo and remedied all of their failings. They read the reviews and participate in forums...that's how to create a brand, not offer vouchers for reviews.

So there! :D

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #24,480 of 62,454
Does the LED lights on the Panasonic blink when in use? I downloaded the user manual from Panasonic's website and it mentions the LED light blinks 2 times every 5 seconds when music is playing. If they do blink, are they bright?
Yes, the LED do light up when in use. However, there is a setting in the app that allows you to turn the LED off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back