Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #24,482 of 62,454
I have tried both.

Unfortunately, I can only base my view of the Sony on the firmware they released them with. I understand they've improved them with a subsequent release.

Microphone quality is better on the Sony, I assume due to the shape.

Sound quality and latency is, on Android, far superior on the Apollo. On iPhone, they sound about the same. On Windows, they also sound the same. Objectively, the FR is close to identical.

Connectivity was rock solid on the Sony, I've had a few minor issues with the Apollo but they are being ironed out and were 'teething problems' that I think are now being sorted.

ANC is I think marginally stronger on the Sony but there's very little in it, and the SQ on the Apollo is better when ANC is on.

If it were me, I would, and have decided to, keep the Tronsmart, but I haven't tried the Sony since they released the new firmware so bear that in mind. The shape of the Sony is something they can't sort with the firmware and that was one of my biggest bug bears.
Cheers for that mate, Tronsmart definitely shot up to number 1 so far. Still gonna have few more weeks for them to refund my 1more ANC, APP just don't do it for me in SQ.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #24,483 of 62,454
I haven't checked the codec being used but I can't imagine it would make a difference, when ANC is turned on there is a massive bass boost that makes them pretty much unusable, I'm pretty sure others had commented on that too. Maybe there are different hardware/firmware versions...
I do notice a huuuge bass bump w the apollos in ANC, and a sound with ambiant that is hard to describe. it's not bothersome, but it is different from anc and passive. Passive sounds best with these imo, and it's quite good. still putting my thoughts together on these but they're a great offering by Tronsmart.

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #24,485 of 62,454
Got these to keep my buds in when my ears are getting sweaty and the buds slowly loose it’s grip. Saw these $6.99 ones I was curious about and put them in my cart awhile ago and recently decided to get them. I got the medium size and they fit good and don’t hurt. The bass and high are great with the Kissral that I just got recently and seal really well. Will test with bike riding and let you know how they fare. Edit I had a great with these they never got sweaty too much. Had them on for 3hrs and I’d say 90 percent seal. I could actually not hear too much of my environment. Tested with my ofusho TWS. Squish them and they go in the case great.
Added a couple on new overviews to my sig. Just in case you missed them since this thread goes by pages so rapidly. 😉

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #24,486 of 62,454
Really? Damn- tempted to upgrade from my panny's now. Must resist, must resist...
The Technics are supposed to sound better, but is don’t have the Pannies to compare :).

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #24,487 of 62,454
Was I greedy this summer?
The 10 on the left are the ones I brought with me. The 15 on the right are new :wink: I know, I look like a h̶o̶a̶r̶d̶e̶r̶ collector.

204AEDFC-0D8D-4E5D-9B6C-64C17FFB4AA5.jpeg

But I am not sure when I can get new stuff once I travel back to my regular residence in the Indian Ocean. AliExpress has switched to pretty much only high price shipping options on tech after probably doling out tons of dispute money for items never reaching the island. My annual winter trip to Japan is very much surrounded by a lot of question marks ... so ... what else should I get? :wink:really tempted to get the Samsung beans ... but I fear Amazon will screw up the date again ...

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #24,488 of 62,454
Back to the Tronsmart Apollo, I got them to multipoint this weekend!
Not really sure how, but they do!
There is something funky going on with the connection to devices. I ran into trouble when I tried to connect them to my TempoTec V1, it worked for like 5 minutes, then a beep and then I had a hard time to get into anything resembling a pairing mode, eventually I got it to connect to phone again. But now every time I take them out of the case they say ‘looking for devices’, it does NOT auto connect to last device in my case. I am hoping it will sort itself out once the app comes (maybe that has to do with allegedly 2 diff FWs out there)

If sometime they could multipoint like my QC35, that would be so awesome and could easily make them my go-to buds

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #24,489 of 62,454
Hi,that is incredible @Caipirina, it am surprised:
The 10 on the left are the ones I brought with me. The 15 on the right are new :wink: I know, I look like a h̶o̶a̶r̶d̶e̶r̶ collector.

But I am not sure when I can get new stuff once I travel back to Sri Lanka. AliExpress has switched to pretty much only high price shipping options on tech after probably doling out tons of dispute money for items never reaching the island. My annual winter trip to Japan is very much surrounded by a lot of question marks ... so ... what else should I get? :wink:really tempted to get the Samsung beans ... but I fear Amazon will screw up the date again ...

Based on all your collection and my previous post, ¿what would you recommend me?.

Hi,

I wish you are fine!!! I have been following this thread about one year (more or less) but I had never written, hello everyone!. I love the freedom that TWS give you but I also know that the sound quality is low in comparison with wired ones although I think everything is improving. My iems, that I use everyday, are the CA Andromeda and some other on rotation (Blon BL03, 1 more triple...).

I would like to buy the best possible sounding TWS, and I have read all the recent posts, reviewed the Scabir web but I am a bit confused. I have a Cambridge Audio Melomania and I have tested extensively the Creative Outlier Gold from my wife. Last week I ordered a pair of Sony XM3 and I have been testing them yesterday. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I don't find them better sounding than my Melomania, might be only marginal. I have tried different tips, Comply, SpinFit and I find that the best sound is with the SpinFit 360. I am thinking about returning them.

What do you suggest? I live in Spain and some models are not easy to buy, for example, the Nuarl ones. I was wondering if some other models would be only a small improvement over my Melomania or the Sonys or if there is something significantly better. I use Android as OS.

Thanks in advance and all greetings from Spain!!!.
Thanks in advance!!!

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #24,490 of 62,454
Hi,that is incredible @Caipirina, it am surprised:

Based on all your collection and my previous post, ¿what would you recommend me?.

Thanks in advance!!!

You can't ask a hoarder which ONE to recommend! That's like asking a parent which child he likes best.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #24,491 of 62,454
You can't ask a hoarder which ONE to recommend! That's like asking a parent which child he likes best.

Haha, I am still smiling, well, in fact, I doubt about sending back my Sonys and buying another pair, or continuing with my Melomenia. I cannot access to review and test so many TWS and your experience is so valuable for me...moreover, in Europe it is more difficult than in US or other countries.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #24,492 of 62,454
There is something funky going on with the connection to devices. I ran into trouble when I tried to connect them to my TempoTec V1, it worked for like 5 minutes, then a beep and then I had a hard time to get into anything resembling a pairing mode, eventually I got it to connect to phone again. But now every time I take them out of the case they say ‘looking for devices’, it does NOT auto connect to last device in my case. I am hoping it will sort itself out once the app comes (maybe that has to do with allegedly 2 diff FWs out there)

If sometime they could multipoint like my QC35, that would be so awesome and could easily make them my go-to buds
Yeah I haven't been able to replicate it since sadly :frowning2:

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #24,493 of 62,454
Heres my review of the Tronsmart apollo Bold.
packaging.
Honestly, as long as the product isn't damaged i'm happy. That said, some companies put genuine thought in to packaging, and when it's really done well i definitely appreciate it. Tronsmart nailed the unboxing experience with these.
Once the plastic is removed you see a well constructed box that opens via the front and is magnitized shut when closed.
then theres a plastic cover to remove, and another liner with the iems and case.
under the liner in the bottom of the box are some good quality stock tips, and the USB-C cable doesn't disapoint either.
These can be used in mono if you want.
by default they are in ANC mode. 3 taps on either iem from ANC mode gets you to Ambiant, 3 more taps switches to passive.
2 taps on either iem for play pause, a tap followed by a long press brings up your assistent, 1 tap on right raises; and the same on the left lowers volume; and finally a hold for 3 seconds on left rewinds while the same on right skips to the next track. The functions are well organized, and the touch controls are very precise. some True Wireless models like the MTW, i can control with more of the flat part of my finger. They aren't overly sensitive, but they respond quite well when used this way. With the Apollos i get the best results when using the actual tips of my fingers. When i do the controls are reliable 100% of the time. when i try to use them how i use the MTW, the controls work but sometimes not all of the taps are processed. it's easy to change volume this way or change a track and even play pause, so if you're walking for example and just want to reach up and casually change volume, play pause or switch songs with less thought about placement it shouldn't be an issue. Where you do want to use the tips of your fingers consistently is when switching between the various listening modes.
ANC is not bad. It does reduce the lowest of whirring noises to a degree, but i can still hear talking and other noises in similar ranges quite well with no music playing. I think the ANC is good at at least reducing the sounds of the outside world and with music playing i'm still able to enjoy what i'm listening to. Since travel is so restricted right now, i tested via loud airplane cabin noise coming from my speakers, and while at a friends i turned on ANC to see if it reduced the sound of her kids playing and talking loudly. I could still hear them, but less than i did in passive mode but only slightly.
When switching between each mode the announcement comes through the iem you tap on only. but the audio never stops at any point.
Ambiant mode is natural sounding, and at a good volume level. I can hear my birds talking down the hall quite well and it isn't faint or over powering. That plus the music is really nice to hear. i also used Ambiant at my friend's home and could easily hear the tv and carry a conversation and nothing was to distant or loud.
calls sounded just fine for me, quite good actually. but when i spoke to people with these on, they couldn't hear me as well but as one friend put it, 'I could hear EVERYTHING around you.
The sound, in ANC mode theres a bump in the bass, and i started thinking of what i would and wouldn't listen to when using them in ANC mode.
Ambiant does change the sound slightly, but i'm noticing the more i use them the less that seems to be the case. it's still a bit different but very minor, it just pulls everything back a tiny tiny bit.
regardless of what mode i listen in, i'm noticing the bass is less boomy than it was out of the box.
Treble is rolled off a bit but isn't lacking at all. There is some excessive sub bass at times, but over all everything has place and prominence when called fore. instrument separation is executed well. you really do pick up on the subtleties in whatever you're listening to. There is a sense of space as well, and a decent soundstage.
There are some things i'd change about the tuning, but it would be little alterations here and there.
As is, these are a good option to consider. When the app with eq is released and capability for use in APTXHD is unlocked it will only make these better.

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #24,494 of 62,454

But I am not sure when I can get new stuff once I travel back to Sri Lanka. AliExpress has switched to pretty much only high price shipping options on tech after probably doling out tons of dispute money for items never reaching the island. My annual winter trip to Japan is very much surrounded by a lot of question marks ... so ... what else should I get? :wink:really tempted to get the Samsung beans ... but I fear Amazon will screw up the date again ...
Should try the bean. It sounds really good in fact even better than the other gbuds. The bass is really punchy and airy, can be too much mid bass sometimes but it is easily eq able. Mid is great, pretty similar to N6P imho. Treble is not as sparkly, but again with just a little bump in the eq will fix that. I am using it right now outside and no cutting out whatsoever. It just when you are used to regular type iem, its taking a little bit of getting used to the fit.
Oh and I tried the active noise cancelling in my work place (commercial kitchen) and it definitely reduced the hump from the exhaust fan.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #24,495 of 62,454

But I am not sure when I can get new stuff once I travel back to my regular residence in the Indian Ocean. AliExpress has switched to pretty much only high price shipping options on tech after probably doling out tons of dispute money for items never reaching the island. My annual winter trip to Japan is very much surrounded by a lot of question marks ... so ... what else should I get? :wink:really tempted to get the Samsung beans ... but I fear Amazon will screw up the date again ...
IF you're willing to shell out the money for the Galaxy beans, seriously that sounds so much better than Galaxy Buds live, then what about the Technics? Though the Technics might have better ANC, i'm realizing now that as a runner, the beans might give you a sound you like with a form factor better for running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back