Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 8, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #24,451 of 62,439
this is how the mtw 1 looks on mine.
are the technics larger?

IMG_20200809_091320~3.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #24,454 of 62,439
thanks. so it's big then😅
am having 2nd thoughts.
i didnt realize it was gonna be that huge
The Technics are longer, not wider. The MTW2 have a wider circumference. For me, the Technics fit better than the MTW2. They are more rounded at the base. Sadly, I don't have my MTW2's anymore to take a pic of them together for you. Someone might soon.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #24,455 of 62,439
The Technics are longer, not wider. The MTW2 have a wider circumference. For me, the Technics fit better than the MTW2. They are more rounded at the base. Sadly, I don't have my MTW2's anymore to take a pic of them together for you. Someone might soon.
I have read MTW2 are more bassy than Technics, did you have the same experience?

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #24,456 of 62,439
IMG_1083 (1).jpg

Panasonic RZ-S500W vs. Sony WF-1000XM3

First Impressions (50+ years old ears): used iPhone XS with Xelastec M tips (both S500 and XM3).
• S500s have clear vocals with good bass- smooth sounding with no fatigue. Enough sparkle.
• Wider and deeper sound stage than XM3- better instrument separation.
• Less bass slam than the XM3. However, the music from XM3 feels closed in and bloated in comparison. XM3 vocals suffer in comparison.
• Using the Bass Enhancer in app brings bass closer to XM3 levels (but not quite all the way) without affecting the rest of the spectrum.
• When changing from Noise Canceling to Ambient Sound to Off there is no perceptible change in the music- not the case with the XM3s (slight differences).
• Both protrude however the S500s are more comfortable and didn't require much adjustment on a exercise walk once I figured out their proper placement in my ears.
• Knowing the S500s have an IPX4 rating is reassuring for using them when working out. No IPX rating for Sony's.
• All of S500 functions can be accessed from the touch sensors where you are required to choose which functions can be accessed from the touch sensors of the XM3s (Ambient Sound Modes vs Play/Pause/Skip vs. Volume Control- limited to two of them).
• No auto-pause when removing the S500s.
• S500 case much small than XM3 case. Sony’s snap right in while you have to play with S500s to get them to sit properly.

Noise canceling:
• Vacuum running- equally effective
• XM3 more susceptible to wind noise when walking- so much so, I prefer having Noise Canceling/Ambient Sound off while walking. Not the case with the S500s- some wind noise but acceptable.
• Lawn mower- S500 does a terrific job blocking out most of the lower frequency sound of the mower leaving some higher frequencies. Did not have to raise the volume of the music at all. Very pleasant experience!

So far- I actually like listening to music with the S500s vs. XM3s where the music is acceptable. Mind you the differences are not huge but I prefer the S500 overall for my needs.
Does the LED lights on the Panasonic blink when in use? I downloaded the user manual from Panasonic's website and it mentions the LED light blinks 2 times every 5 seconds when music is playing. If they do blink, are they bright?

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #24,457 of 62,439
I do have something strange to report. So I was out walking with my toddler around the neighborhood and decided to test the GBL’s outside. My Bluetooth connection was horrible. I was passing by apartment buildings and then crossing the street in open areas where the Bluetooth signal cannot bounce off anything and the music kept fading in and out. I’m using a new 2020 iPhone SE. That’s said, I’m on iOS 14 beta so maybe that has something to do with it. I’m curious if anyone else has any issues while out and about walking. My phone was in my front left pocket facing down, Which is usually how I always carry my phone.
I've read a few online reviews that the buds live has poor connection outdoors too. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #24,458 of 62,439
I have read MTW2 are more bassy than Technics, did you have the same experience?
Yes. Technics aren’t as muddy. I’m enjoying them :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #24,459 of 62,439
I've read a few online reviews that the buds live has poor connection outdoors too. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it.
That would s great. Debating if I should keep them until they work out the issues.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #24,460 of 62,439
I must admit that the sound character of the Apollo Bold's has changed considerably since I first got them.

same here. and with the right eq I find these Apollo very enjoyable

With ANC off then because that mode boosts the bass way more than even a basshead can stand!

umh.... I'm not hearing any difference with ANC on or off.... both with aptX and AAC (which I prefer)

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #24,461 of 62,439
Yes. Technics aren’t as muddy. I’m enjoying them :)
Also, right now in the US they’re $199 (reg $250). I’m going to get my $50 :)

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #24,464 of 62,439
I want to collect more wireless IEMs, but reluctant since it's like you're "renting" them for about 5 years before the lithium batteries deteriorate.

That's why I like bluetooth adapters like TRN BT20S, TRN BT20 and the iBasso CF01, they allow one to use an existing detachable IEM with it, so battery life and bluetooth tech ain't the limiting factor. Plus one is already familiar with the sound signature of the detachable IEM.

Although in this hobby, 5 years is a very long time! I think in all likelihood we might have another CHIFI IEM or wireless gear coming in the mail within a few weeks, so the old gear might be forgotten in a drawer way before the battery dies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back