Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #23,311 of 62,422
Depends, are you treble or peaky mid-high sensitive? If you are it may be better to get the regular buds that are closer tuned to the older harman curve iirc. I EQ'ed my buds+ down a bit for shoutiness/harshness on some tracks.

The battery life is compelling, ambient was neat but too treble focused. Sound was ok to good but not enough for me to keep them. I much more enjoy my Air-XR's SQ even at about half the battery life (6hrs).

They do have AAC. It's the SBC when used with older phones, devices without AAC like windows laptops where sound an issue. Afaik.
Although if I have a good bluetooth transmitter that also supports AAC, I should be fine, right?

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #23,314 of 62,422
Can anyone recommend a good EQ app for apple and Android? I ended up with the mw07+ they sound great just want to play with the sound a bit
For Android, power eq. Saves something like 15 profiles.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #23,315 of 62,422
Looking for recommendations: :L3000:

I am currently testing Jbuds Air Icon & Phaiser Fusion One. In Past, I have tested Senn Momentum 1 & my ears don't settle with anything that says 'Sony', so those aren't an option for me.

Here are my criteria for selection:

Must-haves:
  1. Best TWS sound quality possible with deep bass, clear mids & exciting highs, pretty much a U-shaped signature.
  2. Must be able to get loud enough. (for reference: something like Phaiser Fusion One)
  3. Acceptable call quality.
  4. Decent battery life.
  5. App controls like eq etc. (this can slide to the nice to haves for a deserving pair)
Nice to haves:
  1. USB-C
  2. Multi-device connection
  3. IPX5 or above.
Thanks in advance. :gs1000smile:

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #23,316 of 62,422
No AAC transmitters for windows that I know off. They all seem to be based on Qualcom chipsets
Unfortunately not. The Hagibis X2 claims to have AAC but it connects to 3.5mm and thus needs to be charged separately with microUSB.

SBC on the Buds+ is pretty awful in my experience. Unless your Bluetooth driver is somehow able to force a high bitrate the treble can be very distorted.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #23,318 of 62,422
I think what I will do is I will wait for the new Galaxy Buds (Live). Hopefully they have ANC, and maybe spatial audio, and they retain the $150 pricepoint, small case size, great battery life, etc. I just hope that they don't mess things up with this rumored bean style. If they do, then I will just grab the Buds+, which should be discounted by $30-60.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #23,319 of 62,422
Looking for recommendations: :L3000:

I am currently testing Jbuds Air Icon & Phaiser Fusion One. In Past, I have tested Senn Momentum 1 & my ears don't settle with anything that says 'Sony', so those aren't an option for me.

Here are my criteria for selection:

Must-haves:
  1. Best TWS sound quality possible with deep bass, clear mids & exciting highs, pretty much a U-shaped signature.
  2. Must be able to get loud enough. (for reference: something like Phaiser Fusion One)
  3. Acceptable call quality.
  4. Decent battery life.
  5. App controls like eq etc. (this can slide to the nice to haves for a deserving pair)
Nice to haves:
  1. USB-C
  2. Multi-device connection
  3. IPX5 or above.
Thanks in advance. :gs1000smile:
Nuarl n6 edit: As my fellow headfi'ers kindly reminded - only IPX4
Akg n400 - got a lot of frills, I'm getting them for the sound, worried the case is a little big - but I think it hits all of your other requests.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #23,320 of 62,422
What about this Monoprice AAC transmitter/reciever?
Sadly no, if you look at the spec sheet, AAC is only supported when used as a receiver, not as a Bluetooth transmitter.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #23,323 of 62,422
I think what I will do is I will wait for the new Galaxy Buds (Live). Hopefully they have ANC, and maybe spatial audio, and they retain the $150 pricepoint, small case size, great battery life, etc. I just hope that they don't mess things up with this rumored bean style. If they do, then I will just grab the Buds+, which should be discounted by $30-60.

You can already find them for $120 or less new on eBay. Just get a 'US' version for samsung warranty reasons.

Nuarl n6
Akg n400
Thanks & how about soundcore liberty pro?

I'd avoid the L2P's. Mids are recessed IMO. Granted they can be EQ'ed. Battery life barely made what is average now (4-4.5hrs) on my pair, although 8 hours is claimed (may require Qualcomm TWS+).

I'd add the Air-XR's to the list (despite no app). They're my current favorites. Unsure on call quality, I've only used them for calls maybe twice. They have micro usb but I got the Qi version, so I wirelessly charge them.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #23,325 of 62,422
Was just cleaning a bit of wax from my MTW 2s (sorry, gross I know) using a pin, and managed to pull out the little foam filter in the earpiece. It came out easily, so I figured I would remove the other one too and see how that affected the sound.

Loving it! Your mileage my vary of course, but I feel (with the eq set to neutral on the Senn app) that the treble clarity which was a little bit lacking has now been resolved.

Ace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back