Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 7, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #21,182 of 62,145
So, I've been really enjoying my N6 (regular) and I use NT01AX for my laptop and my new N6 for my phone. None of the new TOTL devices are calling me - the MTW2 not being able to be used independently for calls and case size (and price) make it not for me....

but the itch has come back and I'm eyeing the WF-Xb700 that Sony is coming out with. Anyone have any idea what wired model they'd compare the driver to? I have and love the EX-800ST and if the xb700 is rocking a 12mm DD that has sound at all similar....

I'm thinking about pre-ordering at Bestbuy but that's not super convenient for me - anyone have any idea of where else the XB700 might be carried online when it's released? I can't find it on Amazon (my default). Anyone else planning on trying these out? @hifi80sman ?
Not right now, unfortunately. I've been on a binge of portable AMP/DACs and over-ears. Once the gym opens back up, then I'll probably give them a try.

Based on past experience, the XB line will sound decent, but it won't have the same SQ as their higher end models. They do look nice, but I don't think they are going to sound better than the XM3 (although, they may fit better).

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #21,183 of 62,145
Based on past experience, the XB line will sound decent, but it won't have the same SQ as their higher end models. They do look nice, but I don't think they are going to sound better than the XM3 (although, they may fit better).

Depends on how they made them. They may sound sweet with the right tips that balance them out some. The right EQ perhaps. If they they took their solid previous 12mm and shoved some foam in the nozzle behind the screen that we can take out we could have a very very good sounding result. I'd say a pretty good chance they are XB due to some physical means like vents or foam that we can mod w/o much trouble. The 12mm is a good sign and makes them more desirable IMO.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #21,184 of 62,145
True the Flames S cable may not be ideal from the looks of it. If you get the right cable they don't bother me and are more convenient. Leave in hanging on the neck. 3 seconds to insert and done. Compared to open case put in right bud switch hands put in left than close case and have to put case somewhere. TW is not the most easy to get along with for sports for me than a well designed single light cable. Even right now, I was thinking about the Sony XB700 but I have also wanted the Elecom GB41 BT model. 14 grams weight for the Elecom even with a cable while the Sony buds are 8 each for 16 grams, Elecom has aptX and aptX LL, and flat/Bass1/Bass2 on board settings. Both are 5.0 class 1, Elecom does have three buttons on one side to control everything a bit easier with no two button press for FF and three for rewind like the Sony. Both have 12mm drivers. Sony wins in battery life but is $78 more atm. I have the older Elecom RH1000BT version which is also 14 grams and I just wear them on my neck and quite a few times I say, crap, I forgot to bring earphones cause I forget they are there. Leaning towards the Elecom since they are designed for sound with a three layer diaphragm, dual chambers, and a semi-open design not having the others components in the housing.

There are also aftermarket battery cases which will recharge many more times than the Sony's one time. So, charging on the go is addable but out playing sports with no pockets sometimes it is great to take a break and take out your in-ears and wipe the sweat off your face and head and where do you put a TW. Take them out put in one hand, grab towel with the other... not as convenient as let them hang on your neck and hands are free to do whatever. Might be nice if the Sony had a leash but only the SP900 comes with one.

There is the Astrotec S90 Pro which has dual Knowles with AptX... https://www.linsoul.com/products/astrotec-s90-pro

Funny you should mention Elecom, my last neck-cable pair I bought were the HPC40 'Grand Bass' ... and yes, they were very nice (i think they died by now, overuse followed by neglect) ... but I never could deal with how that dangling remote creates imbalance. That's another of those 'look right, look front again, cable snags bud out and seal is gone' moments

Totally agree though that sometimes opening cases is cumbersome, for running I tend to have to leave the case in the car and on occasion I run into glitches which can be easily fixed by 'just pop it back in the case' ... well, tough luck when you don't have that on you.

In doubt, have a few of each flavor :) On occasion I still run with my Sony WS623 because I can carry them easily around my neck, and they come preloaded with music. Also, marathon spanning battery life.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #21,185 of 62,145
Depends on how they made them. They may sound sweet with the right tips that balance them out some. The right EQ perhaps. If they they took their solid previous 12mm and shoved some foam in the nozzle behind the screen that we can take out we could have a very very good sounding result. I'd say a pretty good chance they are XB due to some physical means like vents or foam that we can mod w/o much trouble. The 12mm is a good sign and makes them more desirable IMO.
I agree the 12mm driver, which you know is going to be quality from Sony, is a major selling point. Indeed, probably some tip rolling and removing foam from the nozzle could give you a nice result. I know some people may not want to mess with the foam, just in case they don't like the result.

I've also seen rumors that the WF-1000XM4 earbuds may be coming out for Holiday 2020, which supposedly will have low bitrate (330 kbps) LDAC.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #21,186 of 62,145
I agree the 12mm driver, which you know is going to be quality from Sony, is a major selling point. Indeed, probably some tip rolling and removing foam from the nozzle could give you a nice result. I know some people may not want to mess with the foam, just in case they don't like the result.

I've also seen rumors that the WF-1000XM4 earbuds may be coming out for Holiday 2020, which supposedly will have low bitrate (330 kbps) LDAC.

With the new more efficient Qualcomm chips and the new models we will see at CES with them and using aptX adaptive it would be wise for them to get them on the board for Black Friday holiday shopping time. Like Fraunhofer making LC3/LC3plus and aptx adaptive Sony really should be trying to make the codec more efficient and switchable bit rate to keep up. 330 bitrate is the best your line's flagship can do by end of 2020 is really not all that impressive.

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #21,188 of 62,145
Thanks! I hadn't seen that those S90s were released. Anyone have them to comment on SQ? I like everything about the design and specs. Might have to take a flyer on them.

They don't look half bad. Just maybe some info on the Knowles models used would be helpful. Though it might(should?) be out there if you look.

edit: Says and ED bass and a treble armature but not specific...
1586293587701.png

..but good to see one of the bass armature instead of both smaller trying to save space.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #21,189 of 62,145
With the new more efficient Qualcomm chips and the new models we will see at CES with them and using aptX adaptive it would be wise for them to get them on the board for Black Friday holiday shopping time. Like Fraunhofer making LC3/LC3plus and aptx adaptive Sony really should be trying to make the codec more efficient and switchable bit rate to keep up. 330 bitrate is the best your line's flagship can do by end of 2020 is really not all that impressive.
They don't look half bad. Just maybe some info on the Knowles models used would be helpful. Though it might(should?) be out there if you look.

edit: Says and ED bass and a treble armature but not specific...
1586293587701.png
..but good to see one of the bass armature instead of both smaller trying to save space.
Looks like it may be along these lines:
http://www.seltech-international.com/bax/ED

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #21,190 of 62,145
I tried those Creatives. The sound was good, not great and not in the same league as L2P or N6 Pro, but better than a lot of others I tried at the same price-point - a little bass- and mid-forward without sounding boomy or hollow, a little dull sounding between 4 and 12khz but not unpleasant. I sent them back because the buttons on mine were the same - I couldn't press it without jamming the bud deeper into my ear. They also didn't fit well and kept falling out on their own (even though they are super light). Those were tolerable issues, but mine also had massive connection issues. I'd get dropouts just sitting in my office with my phone on my desk. Wearing them out on the street in D.C., they were stuttered "off" more than they were "on." But YMMV on that, if what I've read is accurate, not all of these have the same drop-out problems.

Haven't used the COA enough to notice connection issues in 2.4Ghz saturated areas yet, but yeah I can see fit being an issue for many on them. Especially with those super tiny tips.

Thankfully, they fit securely enough for me, though I haven't taken them out for a jog to test or anything (not that I could considering the local situation right now).

On the flipside though, the L2P connection stability is proving to be pretty amazing TBH, at least compared to my experiences with previous gen BT4.1/4.2 stuff. Left my phone on a table at ground floor on my 2-storey house, went back up to my room to take some stuff and the L2P never missed a single beat, not for even a split second.

Maybe it's nothing to you folks used to BT5 but it sure was an eye opener for me.

That said, the mic - as I had been expecting - was rather disappointing. The cVc noise cancelling feels a tad overzealous to me TBH, and I've seen similar short-stem TWS with equivalent chipsets and configurations do better.

But eyyy, I've seen (and used) worse too *shrugs*

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #21,191 of 62,145
Hi guys!

I have two TWS's:
- One Moore Stylish
- Lypertek Tevi

I need something with an "in-between" sound sig. I like the OneMore's quite a bit, but find them a bit boomy at times.

The Lypertek's I just can't like them. Even after the firmware update, to me, they still sound too bright on the upper midrange. Prefer the One More's, even if they aren't as detailed or have as much resolution and soundstage.

As a side note to the sound... I also HATE the controls on the TEVI's. The buttons are hard and pressing them into your ear is stupidly painful. The OneMore's have a neat button on the top of the earbuds that presses easily.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #21,193 of 62,145
Same seller who had only the standard version now also has the QC3020 / AptX Pro version at 99$
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000891437908.html

Looking great but unfortunately that translates to 140$ CAD. Not sure if 3026 has the choppy bud-switching like the 3020 does. Couldn't find any reviews except one saying "the bass is a bit soft."

There is the Astrotec S90 Pro which has dual Knowles with AptX... https://www.linsoul.com/products/astrotec-s90-pro
Sounded like they wanted people on their Facebook group to test them out but they never got around to it. Next I saw them sold at marked-up prices on Aliexpress until I saw that Linsoul listing. At that price I'm hoping they no longer use a faux USB Type-C port (as on the S60 and S80, only charges Type-C-to-A cables).

Also I don't get what's so hard about making third-party cases for leading products with more charges, USB-C and Qi charging if the original product didn't have these. I see a charging cradle for the Galaxy Buds but no case with multiple charges. The Buds+ case gets depleted within the first day (~6-7 hours of use).

Meanwhile on Amazon.ca I'm seeing markup on budget TWS from third-party dealers. Not sure if they're blatantly ripping off or if there's another reason (I recall reading sellers sometimes introduce products at huge prices to ensure they show up on search results). Sabbat E12 Ultra for 1000$ anyone?

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #21,194 of 62,145
Hi guys!

I have two TWS's:
- One Moore Stylish
- Lypertek Tevi

I need something with an "in-between" sound sig. I like the OneMore's quite a bit, but find them a bit boomy at times.

The Lypertek's I just can't like them. Even after the firmware update, to me, they still sound too bright on the upper midrange. Prefer the One More's, even if they aren't as detailed or have as much resolution and soundstage.

As a side note to the sound... I also HATE the controls on the TEVI's. The buttons are hard and pressing them into your ear is stupidly painful. The OneMore's have a neat button on the top of the earbuds that presses easily.
Sounds like you would like the Nuarl N6 (non-pro).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back