Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 6, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #21,166 of 62,025
I am pretty sure not too long ago i was sharing my search for an ear hook style TWS with AptX and that all I could find was the Soundcore spirit X, which only seems to be out in very limited numbers. (And somehow I can’t find my own post) ... now I am finding another ‘odd one out’, the Mpow Flame Pro!!! Look nice! Bit hefty at 70$, but yes: AptX.
36A66BB1-72B9-4E74-8F0E-4486F7F9D897.jpeg
now, in another mystery: this is currently only available in SPAIN on AE.

in other ‘not really released’ news, Anker also has / had some called Spirit Dot in the pipeline, which didn’t look too shabby either.

You have to put up with one little wire but the Flame S has aptX HD and is less than half the price and 50% more battery.

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #21,167 of 62,025
mentioned before in this thread, i also used macrodroid before to change it.
1. Change the codec to aptX in development version
2. Rename the TWS device, by adding "_NOAAC" (no quotation) at the end of the name.

I guess some people were able to get the NOACC thing to work, I tried and it did nothing for me.

I should also add my macro is based on something I saw at xda, but I changed it because I couldn't figure out how he did the scrolling.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #21,171 of 62,025
You have to put up with one little wire but the Flame S has aptX HD and is less than half the price and 50% more battery.
I have cycled through a bunch of these kinds of earphones .. and this neck band / cable can be super irritating ... like when turning head, then turn back and it got stuck by sweat to the neck and now gently pulls out the earphone ... hence I have pounced on the TWS thing as soon as it became affordable.

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #21,172 of 62,025
Also, now that I’m listening for it, I think this emphasis in the MTW2s actually helps with vocal detail on more organically recorded tracks. Take a listen to Vulpeck’s “Birds of a Feather, We Rock Together”. Vocals have similar tension but sound excellent imo.

For an example with female vocals, check out Emily King’s “Down.” The MTW2s add some great emotion to her voice.
How about El Chepe from Vulfpeck or heres one i love to listen to on the 1st gen mtw marooned from pink Floyd. Love everything going on in that song.

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #21,173 of 62,025
I finally got my L2Ps. Coming from my TRN V90+BT3S setup, I'm pretty surprised... these aren't bad at all. Not on par of course but hell, it's not as bad as some parts of the net make it out to be.
xJIsWVe.jpg
Highs are a bit hot with my HearID EQ + Sony Hybrids (especially when you pump the volume up) but it's a lot airier and less congested to my ears compared to the more laid back Signature one so I'm probably keeping it there. I'll probably switch EQs around once in a while, it's a good thing the app makes this trivial.

The bass and imaging is pretty good too, at least to my easily pleased ears. Not bad at all for what is pretty much my very first TWS pair. A bonus is that the case isn't as gigantic as I was made to imagine either.

So, anybody know how to figure out what L2P HW Revision I have BTW? I've been hearing numbers being thrown around, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Of course, after living through the hiss-hell that was my old BT3 + TRN V80s, I can barely perceive any hiss going on at all on my L2Ps, if there is even any on my unit right now.

Finally, anybody know how to check if the L2Ps are running on TWS+? Or if they just do if you're running a Snapdragon 845 device (mine's an OP6).

Oh, also these just arrived as well for "backup" (aka exercise and stuff) purposes:
SnMl7wj.jpg
Haven't tried those yet tho, still very much engrossed in the L2Ps.

EDIT: Tested the COAs, they were OK but yeah, the imaging on the L2Ps are something else completely as far as first impression comparisons go. The COAs do go louder, even if the L2P is pretty sufficient enough as it is (heard the latest update pushed max vol down).

Also, the buttons on the COA are incredibly stiff and their location makes using them a complete PITA, and I'm actually thankful they're not gonna be my daily drivers.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #21,174 of 62,025
Has anyone been able to obtain EPZ S350? I recall one Malaysian audio store said they're similar to Sabbat E12 (AptX + Qi + Type-C) but more detailed-sounding. I can only find the Standard edition (Realtek) on Aliexpress. I see it listed on some other Chinese shopping sites like JD.

Same seller who had only the standard version now also has the QC3020 / AptX Pro version at 99$
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000891437908.html

EPZS350S.jpg

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #21,176 of 62,025
I finally got my L2Ps. Coming from my TRN V90+BT3S setup, I'm pretty surprised... these aren't bad at all. Not on par of course but hell, it's not as bad as some parts of the net make it out to be.
xJIsWVe.jpg
Highs are a bit hot with my HearID EQ + Sony Hybrids (especially when you pump the volume up) but it's a lot airier and less congested to my ears compared to the more laid back Signature one so I'm probably keeping it there. I'll probably switch EQs around once in a while, it's a good thing the app makes this trivial.

The bass and imaging is pretty good too, at least to my easily pleased ears. Not bad at all for what is pretty much my very first TWS pair. A bonus is that the case isn't as gigantic as I was made to imagine either.

So, anybody know how to figure out what L2P HW Revision I have BTW? I've been hearing numbers being thrown around, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Of course, after living through the hiss-hell that was my old BT3 + TRN V80s, I can barely perceive any hiss going on at all on my L2Ps, if there is even any on my unit right now.

Finally, anybody know how to check if the L2Ps are running on TWS+? Or if they just do if you're running a Snapdragon 845 device (mine's an OP6).

Oh, also these just arrived as well for "backup" (aka exercise and stuff) purposes:
SnMl7wj.jpg
Haven't tried those yet tho, still very much engrossed in the L2Ps.

EDIT: Tested the COAs, they were OK but yeah, the imaging on the L2Ps are something else completely as far as first impression comparisons go. The COAs do go louder, even if the L2P is pretty sufficient enough as it is (heard the latest update pushed max vol down).

Also, the buttons on the COA are incredibly stiff and their location makes using them a complete PITA, and I'm actually thankful they're not gonna be my daily drivers.
I tried those Creatives. The sound was good, not great and not in the same league as L2P or N6 Pro, but better than a lot of others I tried at the same price-point - a little bass- and mid-forward without sounding boomy or hollow, a little dull sounding between 4 and 12khz but not unpleasant. I sent them back because the buttons on mine were the same - I couldn't press it without jamming the bud deeper into my ear. They also didn't fit well and kept falling out on their own (even though they are super light). Those were tolerable issues, but mine also had massive connection issues. I'd get dropouts just sitting in my office with my phone on my desk. Wearing them out on the street in D.C., they were stuttered "off" more than they were "on." But YMMV on that, if what I've read is accurate, not all of these have the same drop-out problems.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #21,177 of 62,025
i haven't been following the field, are there any well regarded pairs of TWS that have apt-x and a multi driver all BA setup? (i'm also used to the rock solid connection the galaxy buds have, so that's also preferred).
Dual BA with aptX would be the Mifo O7 or identical (and often cheaper) TFZ X3. I'm not aware of any other dual BA + aptX sets.

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #21,178 of 62,025
So, I've been really enjoying my N6 (regular) and I use NT01AX for my laptop and my new N6 for my phone. None of the new TOTL devices are calling me - the MTW2 not being able to be used independently for calls and case size (and price) make it not for me....

but the itch has come back and I'm eyeing the WF-Xb700 that Sony is coming out with. Anyone have any idea what wired model they'd compare the driver to? I have and love the EX-800ST and if the xb700 is rocking a 12mm DD that has sound at all similar....

I'm thinking about pre-ordering at Bestbuy but that's not super convenient for me - anyone have any idea of where else the XB700 might be carried online when it's released? I can't find it on Amazon (my default). Anyone else planning on trying these out? @hifi80sman ?

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #21,180 of 62,025
I have cycled through a bunch of these kinds of earphones .. and this neck band / cable can be super irritating ... like when turning head, then turn back and it got stuck by sweat to the neck and now gently pulls out the earphone ... hence I have pounced on the TWS thing as soon as it became affordable.
True the Flames S cable may not be ideal from the looks of it. If you get the right cable they don't bother me and are more convenient. Leave in hanging on the neck. 3 seconds to insert and done. Compared to open case put in right bud switch hands put in left than close case and have to put case somewhere. TW is not the most easy to get along with for sports for me than a well designed single light cable. Even right now, I was thinking about the Sony XB700 but I have also wanted the Elecom GB41 BT model. 14 grams weight for the Elecom even with a cable while the Sony buds are 8 each for 16 grams, Elecom has aptX and aptX LL, and flat/Bass1/Bass2 on board settings. Both are 5.0 class 1, Elecom does have three buttons on one side to control everything a bit easier with no two button press for FF and three for rewind like the Sony. Both have 12mm drivers. Sony wins in battery life but is $78 more atm. I have the older Elecom RH1000BT version which is also 14 grams and I just wear them on my neck and quite a few times I say, crap, I forgot to bring earphones cause I forget they are there. Leaning towards the Elecom since they are designed for sound with a three layer diaphragm, dual chambers, and a semi-open design not having the others components in the housing.

There are also aftermarket battery cases which will recharge many more times than the Sony's one time. So, charging on the go is addable but out playing sports with no pockets sometimes it is great to take a break and take out your in-ears and wipe the sweat off your face and head and where do you put a TW. Take them out put in one hand, grab towel with the other... not as convenient as let them hang on your neck and hands are free to do whatever. Might be nice if the Sony had a leash but only the SP900 comes with one.

Dual BA with aptX would be the Mifo O7 or identical (and often cheaper) TFZ X3. I'm not aware of any other dual BA + aptX sets.

There is the Astrotec S90 Pro which has dual Knowles with AptX... https://www.linsoul.com/products/astrotec-s90-pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back