Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #19,681 of 63,214
P1030976.JPG

Here's my review of the Sabbat E12 Ultra TWS: https://www.antdroid.net/2020/02/sabbat-e12-ultra-true-wireless-review.html

Overall
The Sabbat E12 Ultra is priced at $79 and I find it quite serviceable at this price point. It’s quite a bit cheaper than the other True Wireless in-ears I own and it’s biggest drawback is that it’s resolution and imaging aren’t on the same level, and that it’s bass can be a little dominating at times, however I found it very warm and enjoyable for the most part.

The comfort along with it’s wireless charging case make this stand-out and I am mostly surprised and enjoyed using these during the past month carrying these around for reviewing instead of my normal Galaxy Buds I use for on-the-go usage. (I still prefer Galaxy Buds over E12 Ultra)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #19,682 of 63,214
Ok - I have four sets in rotation right now. A quick summary of where my listening is at, and tips that have worked for me

1. Nuarl 6P - by far these are the most natural, enjoyable set to listen to for extended period, regardless the source. I find myself loving the sound,
Connectivity : Rock Solid.
Comfort & Fit: Surprisingly easy and comfortable to wear despite the large form factor and relative heft. The provide excellent passive isolation.
Tips : Spinfit CP 360s provide a good fit for me

2. Maven Air-Xr Qi - these are heavy on the bass, but provide an enjoyable soundstage. If they had an app, I'd EQ down the lows.
Comfort & Fit : Super lightweight, great isolation. Easy to grab and go on the bike.
Tips : After trying spinfits, foams, I settled on the oval silicon tips they ship with, which provided the best isolation and sound for me

3. Libratone Track Air + - once I got a good fit they sounded very aggressive, perhaps a bit metallic, definitely bass forward even with the neutral EQ setting. The isolation even with the best tips I found is quite poor though so it sort of requires ANC. The app is bizarre in how you dial the ANC in and out - Smart mode works well except when you are walking when it detects and puts in too much passthrough
Connectivity: Prone to occasional dropouts compared to my other units
Comfort & Fit : These were a nightmare for me to find something that worked. The tips they ship with provided bad isolation and given the strange shallow connection point they tended to smoosh against the surface of my ear, so I looked for something with a little longer interior barrel. Once in, they are so light you can forget about them though
Tips : Spinfit CP 100z's -- after trying 360s', foam, shipped tips, the tips I had accumulated from my other IEMs, these are the only ones that stayed attached, and went deep enough to provide reasonable bass and isolation. All other tips for me sounded flat. I wonder if this is why the default sound signature feels like it has overly boosted lows when you use a good 3rd party tip

4. Mifo O7 - I've written of these before. Want to like them but the bass distortion is absolutely horrible even at low volumes, much worse than others. I am trying a replacement and I'll report back with what I found ( try Mona Lisa by De Staat for almost constant clipping in my unit)
Connectivity : Totally solid
Comfort & Fit : More comfortable than the Track Air +s as they have a more rounded form factor despite being slightly heavier. No complaints
Tips : Same tips work on this as with my Nuarl 6Ps - the CP 360s are fine. Good isolation, no complaints

So in order of goodness :

Nuarl 6P >> Mavis Air-Xr Qi > Libratone Track Air +

all are perfectly good sets but the only one I think that even approaches regular IEM sound is the 6P. The Xr is a terrific compromise set, the track air + is skewed mass consumer sound for pop I think, and the jury out on the O7s until I get a replacement.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #19,683 of 63,214
2. Maven Air-Xr Qi - these are heavy on the bass, but provide an enjoyable soundstage. If they had an app, I'd EQ down the lows.
Comfort & Fit : Super lightweight, great isolation. Easy to grab and go on the bike.
Tips : After trying spinfits, foams, I settled on the oval silicon tips they ship with, which provided the best isolation and sound for me

So in order of goodness :

Nuarl 6P >> Mavis Air-Xr Qi > Libratone Track Air +

all are perfectly good sets but the only one I think that even approaches regular IEM sound is the 6P. The Xr is a terrific compromise set, the track air + is skewed mass consumer sound for pop I think, and the jury out on the O7s until I get a replacement.

Agreed.

Fortunately, I have rooted my Android phone and have viper4android which is a system level EQ, so I'm able to lower the bass to a more balanced level.

In any case still considering either the N6 or N6 pro for my next set.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #19,684 of 63,214
Fantastic review! Now if only I could convince you to try the Nuarl N6 Pros.. :D
I can't get them with return option from Amazon and they're a bit out of my review scope, so that's why I'm holding back at this point...

I definitely understand there may be some manufacturing variances with Chi-Fi, so my impressions are not in disagreement with yours, simply a different experience.

I also found the ANC was effective, but ambient mode on mine was off, as the open mic on the L earbud was WAY sensitive and let in a lot of noise, while the R earbud open mic was hardly picked up anything. Was your set like this?

I thought the bass was great, but the treble sounded very metallic and artificial, definitely more than the L2P, which is not necessarily natural.
Wow, if anything, I find the L2P sounds way more metallic and artificial. There's a clear audible hiss on the L2P when upper-mids kick in, whereas the Edifier actually rolls the highs off quick, delivering a more smooth sound. Did you up the Edifier treble in an equalizer?

As for the ambient sound, I don't really notice a difference on the left and right.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #19,685 of 63,214
On a brighter note, I repurchased the mw07 plus for like the 10th now that I'm back to android. I really think these are still the gold standard for sq notwithstanding crinnacles trashing of them (and I pay to subscribe to him). The ANC is weak sauce but it's better than nothing. Takes the edge off the hum.

how does it compare to the N6p in SQ?

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #19,686 of 63,214
Got the Cleer Ally Plus last night. Going to give them a whirl all day today and see what they've got.

IMG_3037.JPG

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #19,687 of 63,214
Got the Cleer Ally Plus last night. Going to give them a whirl all day today and see what they've got.

These look awesome! Did you get them off their website? Also how are the first impressions?

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #19,689 of 63,214
I can't get them with return option from Amazon and they're a bit out of my review scope, so that's why I'm holding back at this point...

Wow, if anything, I find the L2P sounds way more metallic and artificial. There's a clear audible hiss on the L2P when upper-mids kick in, whereas the Edifier actually rolls the highs off quick, delivering a more smooth sound. Did you up the Edifier treble in an equalizer?

As for the ambient sound, I don't really notice a difference on the left and right.
I may have to try them again. Sounds like I may have received a bad pair in more ways than one.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #19,690 of 63,214
These look awesome! Did you get them off their website? Also how are the first impressions?
Amazon. They are nice. Case is aluminum and about as big as the MW07 case, but lighter. Metal is a matte finish, no fingerprints, but has a clear plastic window on the top. Headphones are very light. Love the swipe up and down for volume like my old Bragi Dash Pros. Music pauses when you take one bud out. Tap controls for play/pause, ANC and Passthrough. Still toying with tips and fit. Comply Smartcore Med seem to work best for me so far. ANC is better than the Libratone Track Air+. I can barely hear voices in my office but the hum of everything around me is gone. Love that. Still testing them out...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #19,691 of 63,214
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #19,692 of 63,214
Amazon. They are nice. Case is aluminum and about as big as the MW07 case, but lighter. Metal is a matte finish, no fingerprints, but has a clear plastic window on the top. Headphones are very light. Love the swipe up and down for volume like my old Bragi Dash Pros. Music pauses when you take one bud out. Tap controls for play/pause, ANC and Passthrough. Still toying with tips and fit. Comply Smartcore Med seem to work best for me so far. ANC is better than the Libratone Track Air+. I can barely hear voices in my office but the hum of everything around me is gone. Love that. Still testing them out...

Thanks for this! They sound promising. What's the SQ like?

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #19,693 of 63,214
Cool. I'm anxious to hear (i) what the sound signature is like, (ii) whether the fit is comfortable and the seal is good (they look substantially larger than the Libratones in the pictures on Amazon), (iii) whether there's an app (with an equalizer and a path to upgrade firmware), (iv) what the battery life is like with ANC enabled (they quote 10 hours with ANC off), and (v) what the outgoing call quality is like (since I've vowed never to buy another set of earphones that don't work well for phone calls). Enjoy them!

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #19,694 of 63,214
Some days ago I discussed about the SBC vs AAC vs APTX issue, fueled by my disappointment regarding the unsupported AAC codec on the Bomaker Sifi, which for an iPhone user is a problem because you are limited to SBC....
Weird, my bomaker sifi connect via aac to Huawei mate 20 lite fine. Is it an iPhone incompatibility problem or an older batch? I've had mine 2 weeks?

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #19,695 of 63,214
Thanks for this! They sound promising. What's the SQ like?
I'm still having a fit issue for my ears. Depending on the tips, the bass crackles, but I think it's how they're sitting in my ears. I'm back to the stock tips and I don't hear an issue. The soundstage is good, better than the
Cool. I'm anxious to hear (i) what the sound signature is like, (ii) whether the fit is comfortable and the seal is good (they look substantially larger than the Libratones in the pictures on Amazon), (iii) whether there's an app (with an equalizer and a path to upgrade firmware), (iv) what the battery life is like with ANC enabled (they quote 10 hours with ANC off), and (v) what the outgoing call quality is like (since I've vowed never to buy another set of earphones that don't work well for phone calls). Enjoy them!
In order of your asks: (i) a little wider than the Libratone. Deeper bass. Still listening... they definitely sound fuller. (ii) having a hard time with the seal/tips. But getting there. I always have a hard time with my right ear. The Libratone feel as if you have nothing in our ears, like the APP. (iii) Sadly, no Cleer app. Maybe they'll have one in the future? (iv) have not tested battery life yet. But even if they last 6 hours with ANC on, I'm happy. (v) Call quality was perfectly fine indoors. Have not done an outside call test yet. That said, I did walk outside and there were zero dropouts walking down the sidewalk or in crosswalks. I really wish the Cleer Ally Plus had a Qi charging. It does have USB-C. Will go on another outdoor trek soon!

IMG_1193.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back