Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #19,666 of 62,680
I got them out again yesterday for another try - they did well, still 80% charge after a good few months of sat in the drawer. They are rather open, and pretty much don't provide any seal at all. At the time, I gave up on trying to quiet down the hubbub in the office, for better sound quality when I was in a quiet spot. Out and about, in the office or down the gym isn't exactly when I'm looking for audiophile delivery tbh

In comparison, the likes of the 1More have a reasonable seal, which helps cut some of the ambient noise, but that total seal kind of thing you get with the likes of the T1 X is just too much for me, I can't stand the thud thud when you are walking or running.

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #19,667 of 62,680
For a long while ago we talked about the NFMI transmitter in Sennheiser MTWs.
B&O E8 2.0 also did use this tech for transferring signals from right to left bud.

What about the chi-fi models? What tech do they use to transfer signals from one bud to the other?

I'm interested in trying the new E8 3.0, with BT 5.1, but I'm afraid of the NFMI. Because of the use of SBC from right to left speaker/bud.

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #19,668 of 62,680
For a long while ago we talked about the NFMI transmitter in Sennheiser MTWs.
B&O E8 2.0 also did use this tech for transferring signals from right to left bud.

What about the chi-fi models? What tech do they use to transfer signals from one bud to the other?

I'm interested in trying the new E8 3.0, with BT 5.1, but I'm afraid of the NFMI. Because of the use of SBC from right to left speaker/bud.

Did the MTW do the pair one side then allow pairing to the other side when a message pops up?

I get that on the Spunky Beats, Air-XR and other buds that connect individually with TWS+ via BT. If it does show that in the instructions, that may be a good sign it doesn't use NFMI.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #19,669 of 62,680
Did the MTW do the pair one side then allow pairing to the other side when a message pops up?

I get that on the Spunky Beats, Air-XR and other buds that connect individually with TWS+ via BT. If it does show that in the instructions, that may be a good sign it doesn't use NFMI.

The MTWs don't pair each side individually (not TWS+) so you dont get that popup and cant use the left side independently.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #19,670 of 62,680
I have the USB-C one from the Note10 and the bass is a little too much for my taste, hopefully that's not the direction they're going with the new galaxy buds.

Hmm, as a basshead, this is the kind of comment that piques my interests - I hope that IS the direction they go with the new galaxy buds! :)

I've been waiting for the release of the Galaxy S20 Ultra (currently using a hand-me-down iPhone 6, after my 950XL Windows Phone stopped supporting WhatsApp!), so quite likely that I will be getting a Samsung phone! So this interests me greatly! :)

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #19,671 of 62,680
Nobody here has tried Klipsch T3? Costco Canada has them for 109$ now, and other dealers 129$

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #19,672 of 62,680
Nobody here has tried Klipsch T3? Costco Canada has them for 109$ now, and other dealers 129$
I wish. Sadly, they're not avail in the USA yet. I've only tried the S1 and the T5's.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #19,673 of 62,680
That's what I am experiencing with my 1more ANC too.
Maybe I got a bad pair? I never saw the youtube videos before I noticed the muddyness with ANC. I noticed it within 30 seconds of trying them. If you are saying that you can't tell a difference with anc on then clearly something was wrong with mine. They were literally awful. I couldn't stand it. So I'm beginning to think it was my set. While reasonable minds can disagree about sq this was night and day different.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #19,674 of 62,680
On a brighter note, I repurchased the mw07 plus for like the 10th now that I'm back to android. I really think these are still the gold standard for sq notwithstanding crinnacles trashing of them (and I pay to subscribe to him). The ANC is weak sauce but it's better than nothing. Takes the edge off the hum.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #19,675 of 62,680
IPX2? That's the lowest rating I have ever seen on TWS, but hey, at least they are honest about it and not like others with no official rating just casual 'should resist some sweat' statements ...

"IPX1 – Offers protection from some water drops to an extent of at least 10 minutes.

IPX2 – This adds on to IPX1, however, this ranking requires that the product can survive being rotated while having water dripped on for at least 10 minutes."
Yikes. That's shameful Samsung. Hoping they come free with the soon to be mine s20 ultra...

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #19,677 of 62,680
Yikes. That's shameful Samsung. Hoping they come free with the soon to be mine s20 ultra...
Oh my I've been salivating over the S20 Ultra for the last month. I'm really hoping they include the Buds+ as a pre-order bonus!

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #19,679 of 62,680
Oh my I've been salivating over the S20 Ultra for the last month. I'm really hoping they include the Buds+ as a pre-order bonus!

There's probably a good chance seeing that we've seen some rumours that it will be, and where i live, they did bundle the Galaxy Buds with the S10. But may vary depending on regions of course. Or they might eventually just go on discount shortly after like the current ones did. So far Samsung has been doing a pretty decent job with audio looking at the AKG tuned earbuds they've been doing, and how capable the current Galaxy buds are. So have high hopes for them.

TWS has come a really long way. I remember how bad things were on the IconX back in 2016. lol. If i recall I got less than 1.5 hours of music playback on them through bluetooth. :beyersmile:

wtWLzOy.png

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #19,680 of 62,680
So did some more listening to my Mavin Air-XR.

They are a slightly L-shaped signature, quality bass and it reaches deep. Fortunately it is not muddy sounding and does not bleed into the mids. Despite the slightly elevated bass quantity, it is quality and enjoyable. I prefer a more balanced signature and after burn in, this is very good. The mids and highs are also very good and aren't too far back due to the slightly elevated bass, no sibilance and vocals are good.

The overall detail and sound is a good step ahead of the Tronsmart Spunky Beats. Battery life for me is around 5.5-6hrs APT-X, 6hrs AAC & SBC on an Android phone.

I also got some foam tips that fit correctly, as I prefer foam and fortunately they fit the case too.
Link's here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/post-15454166

IMG_20200205_202638.jpg

Note: I do use EQ and bring 31/62hz -4db and 125hz -2db and that makes them keepers for me.

Also I've done some mods on my X12 Pro's, figured I'd share here.

I reshaped my X12 pro's for a better fit (for me), using a file. Hard to photograph but I kind of un-shroud the main opening and give it a larger radius. This lets it sit a little more forward and takes enough pressure off that I'm no longer feeling a hotspot in my ear canals. I also use a small razor around the small openings to give it a bevel.

IMG_20200205_174904.jpg

IMG_20200205_175033.jpg

I previously posted this but I do use them with earbud foams that I mod with a hole I make using a 3mm punch. Keeps more bass in and makes it a more stable fit, without needing to use the provided 'wings' that do not fit the charging case. The foams do fit fine in the case, just have to lightly press the earpieces into place.

IMG_20200205_175434.jpg

I spent some time today modding my 'brand-used' X12 Pro case with the Qi wireless charger taken from a bad E12 set.

The X12 & E12 have different circuit boards and retainers as the charging posts are aligned differently. You can't use an X12 in an E12 case and vise versa.

Once I had the cases apart I saw the circuit board had the input provision to for the wireless charger.

IMG_20200205_165432.jpg

It was necessary to remove the original thicker double sided foam from between the battery and circuit board holder. That was replaced with 3m double sided foam, the automotive stuff that is grey. I actually stretch it so it's thinner as well.

To fit everything I filed the bottom of the cupped areas that the earbuds point down into for a little more room inside.

The Qi coil from the E12 also uses a thicker double sided black foam, which I replaced with the stretched grey 3m stuff as well. The E12 case has more room inside as the cups are not as deep. No idea why as the X12 is a much shallower fit.

IMG_20200205_170558.jpg

IMG_20200205_163927.jpg

IMG_20200205_182055.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back