Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #19,711 of 62,385
This is my full and final review (maybe) of the Urbanista Athens earbuds.

Basics:
As you may (or may not) know, Urbanista is a relatively small technology company based out of Sweden. They specialize in a variety of headphones and earbuds. Their style tilts toward ‘urban’ use, hence the name. One of their newer models, the Athens, is meant for athletic use.

Battery: 8 hrs.
Case: 32 hrs.
IP67 Rating
USB-C
Bluetooth 5.0

Delivery:
I purchased these back in October of last year, directly from Urbanista. They finally showed up some time in early-January. Urbanista isn’t exactly the best at communication, so I was largely in the dark during this time on the reasons why the slow delivery. Emails sent through their website and messages on Facebook go to Sweden and seem to take a minimum of 48 hours to get a response. In short, they arrived, but Urbanista could do quite a bit better job of keeping customers informed of the status of their package. Of note, you can now purchase them on Amazon as well, so many of the issues with dealing directly with Urbanista should be alleviated.

Function:
Battery life seems to be approximately as indicated, getting around 8 hrs. of use before needing a recharge. The case is easy enough to use. The case uses magnets, and the earbuds slide into place with a nice click. There is no doubting that they were placed properly. Have not had any issues with proper placement in the case. The case is very small and has a slightly textured finish that is very soft to the touch.

When ready to place them in your ears, the earbuds are easily removed from the case. These are some of the smallest earbuds on the market but are easy to hold. They have a slightly rubberized finish. When pairing or conducting various commands, an led circle lights up. No worries though, this turns off soon after the command is complete. When in normal use, there are no lights on the earbuds.

Placing them in your ears is easy. You simply push it into your ear and give it a slight twist which locks in in place. I used the default tips, though they come with various wings and tips to suit a variety of ears.

The earbuds themselves use physical buttons that you press in order to change tracks, volume, etc. The button pressure required is moderate. I did not experience any discomfort with using them at any time. Also, the general controls are intuitive and largely standard across the industry.

I have had some connectivity issues that a can’t fully explain. When using them at the gym, I encounter a few dropouts. I don’t think this is the fault of the earbuds though, but more the fault of my phone. I currently use an iPhone SE which is a somewhat older phone and is not able to take advantage of Bluetooth 5.0 as it is only capable of Bluetooth 4.2. I will likely be getting a new phone in March though and will provide an update to this aspect then. For reasons I can’t explain though, when using the earbuds in my office and the same phone, range seems to improve greatly. I am able to go around 50 ft. away from my phone without issue, even going through walls an partitions before any dropouts are experienced.

Sound:
I really like how these sound. I am not an advocate for a ‘flat’ sound curve. No artist intended their music to be heard that way. These are slightly geared toward bass lovers. I wouldn’t say they thump as hard as a Sony XB90, but they have plenty of bass, instrument separation, with slightly recessed highs. The sound signature is very pleasing and ideal for a gym environment with songs ranging from rock, to pop, to techno.

The only complaint I have in the sound department is volume. I don’t know if it is a product of Bluetooth or an attempt by Urbanista to save battery, but volume doesn’t get quite as loud as I want it to. I would prefer they give me the option to turn the volume up higher even if that did cost me my hearing or battery life.

Also worth noting, these are a sound isolation design, meaning no active or passive noise cancelling. These try to block out everything around you, and do fairly good job at it.

Design:
As noted above, the earbuds are some of the smallest on the market. That was a big reason why I bought these. They don’t stick out of your ears very much at all.

Another reason why I bought these was battery life. Their battery life is better than most others out there and will last around 8 hrs. before needing a charge.

Also, they are waterproof. You can go swimming in these if you want to, but I’m not sure why you would as Bluetooth doesn’t travel through water.

Summary:

The Good
- Great battery life
- Compact design
- Waterproof
- Nice bass response
- Price

The Bad
- Experienced a few dropouts (but may be my phone’s fault)
- Could be louder

Would I recommend these over other options out there? Yes, but only if the dropouts are my phone’s fault. Dropouts are a dealbreaker, even one is too many.

Below are few pictures. I will update my review once I get a new phone.

IMG_5451.jpg
IMG_5454.jpg
IMG_5456.jpg
IMG_5459.jpg
IMG_5460.jpg
IMG_5461.jpg
IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #19,712 of 62,385
For those wondering if there will be an app created for the Cleer Ally Plus. Here’s their response to me:

There will not be a companion app for Cleer Ally Plus.

To explain, while most of our competitors like Bose and Jabra have companion apps to customize EQ settings or NC levels, we chose to have a longer battery life.

In the current chipset market, you have to choose either added app functionality or longer battery life (low energy bluetooth)- no chipset maker offers both.

While this will certainly change in the future, we currently have chosen to launch the Ally Plus with industry leading battery life (5 hours more than Bose or Jabra per charge).”

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #19,715 of 62,385
For those wondering if there will be an app created for the Cleer Ally Plus. Here’s their response to me:

There will not be a companion app for Cleer Ally Plus.

To explain, while most of our competitors like Bose and Jabra have companion apps to customize EQ settings or NC levels, we chose to have a longer battery life.

In the current chipset market, you have to choose either added app functionality or longer battery life (low energy bluetooth)- no chipset maker offers both.

While this will certainly change in the future, we currently have chosen to launch the Ally Plus with industry leading battery life (5 hours more than Bose or Jabra per charge).”
Thanks — Interesting! I guess that (no app) is also why the MW07+ has such long battery life, even with (weak-sauce) ANC. And I guess this is why we really can’t, at this point, have it all. I suppose in a year or so, when Bluetooth LE Audio becomes standard, we will be able to have it all — but by then there will be other specs we want and expect.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #19,716 of 62,385
I’ve seen a few folk say this but I really have to disagree. There is an awful lot of time spent in the studio getting the track just right. Artists have no control, however, over the equipment used to reproduce what was meant to be heard.

just a thought :)
I think this argument is really a non-argument, since we all have our preferences and will EQ here & there to hit our sweet spot. I'm sure the Beatles didn't intend for me to add some monster sub-bass to any of their tracks, but that's what I fully intend to do. In fact, I'm going to add even more just because they didn't intend for me to do that. :yum:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #19,718 of 62,385
What's weird, is I asked them on Amazon and they said it does, or at least they suggest it does. I tend to believe you more than them. :)
I can't figure it out. I rarely skip tracks when I'm cranking Maiden. But I did figure out how to summon Siri. That isn't in their manual either. Tap/hold triggers Siri. Odd they didn't put that in the manual or maybe I just missed it.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #19,719 of 62,385
I’ve seen a few folk say this but I really have to disagree. There is an awful lot of time spent in the studio getting the track just right. Artists have no control, however, over the equipment used to reproduce what was meant to be heard.

just a thought :)

Music is produced in such a way that will allow it to play well across a variety of speakers and formats, which has little to do with how it was intended to be listened to. If you want to hear how an artist means for a song to be heard go to their concert. At most concerts you will find the bass is cranked up and the highs rolled off to avoid creating sounds that most consider undesirable if not painful.

Feb 7, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #19,721 of 62,385
Did you test battery life with ANC on ?
Not really. I've had them out of the case for 4 hours so far and they're at 70%. ANC has been on and I've taken a 30 minute phone call outside and the caller didn't have any issues hearing me.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #19,722 of 62,385
Just dropped to 60%

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #19,724 of 62,385
It'd be cool if they had track forward/back be swipe forwards/backwards. Since they already got volume as swipe up/down...
Agreed but it will never happen if they do not have firmware updates. Maybe in the next gen! They do sound damn good though.

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #19,725 of 62,385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back