Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 7, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #19,726 of 62,573
Thanks for clarifying. What's my best option for CVC in terms of TWS in-ears?
The mw07 uses cvc for music as well. It's not limited to phone calls. To answer the original question, the noise cancelling in the mw07 doesn't do much. It takes the slightest edge off the background but if you are looking for ANC I would look elsewhere. I use it on my mw07 and find it useful but only useful in the sense that it's better than nothing.

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #19,727 of 62,573
Like everyone else I've been trying to find the perfect TWS earbuds. Besides the standards (good sound, battery life, and connection quality), I really want pass-though audio, full control of all functions from the earbuds, and a smaller form factor. I was really curious about the Cleer Ally Plus, but they're a little bulky and don't have track control, not a complete deal breaker, but not ideal for me. I had the Soundcore Liberty Air 2, but I didn't realize they didn't have full controls, nor how much I needed pass-through audio with my lifestyle.

I've tried to do a lot of research and I was hoping to get some insight or opinions from you guys on a couple options. The only options I've really found are the Mifo 05 plus/ pro and the Jabra Elite 75t. If you guys have any suggestions though please let me know. I'd love to hear your opinions!

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #19,728 of 62,573
Like everyone else I've been trying to find the perfect TWS earbuds. Besides the standards (good sound, battery life, and connection quality), I really want pass-though audio, full control of all functions from the earbuds, and a smaller form factor. I was really curious about the Cleer Ally Plus, but they're a little bulky and don't have track control, not a complete deal breaker, but not ideal for me. I had the Soundcore Liberty Air 2, but I didn't realize they didn't have full controls, nor how much I needed pass-through audio with my lifestyle.

I've tried to do a lot of research and I was hoping to get some insight or opinions from you guys on a couple options. The only options I've really found are the Mifo 05 plus/ pro and the Jabra Elite 75t. If you guys have any suggestions though please let me know. I'd love to hear your opinions!
The Soundcore LP 2 are much bigger and do not fit as well as the Cleer Ally Pro. The CAP has great passthrough and decent (not Sony/APP) ANC. Passthrough and ANC are important to me. Unless you can get great passive isolation like the MTW, Beoplay and the like. Had the Jabra Elite 75t but you can’t use L or R independently and they seemed to have a L/R balance issue. Maybe I’ll revisit when the new firmware comes out. It’s supposed to upgrade them to let you use the L or R independently.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #19,729 of 62,573
This is my full and final review (maybe) of the Urbanista Athens earbuds.
Thanks for the review - which device are you using for it? I had seen these at London Drugs in Canada for 170$ and was wondering how they would sound. I had read TechRadar's review saying the audio crackles among other things which was pretty unassuring.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #19,730 of 62,573
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #19,731 of 62,573
The noble audio falcon seem to be doing well in amazon.jp

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Noble-audio-FALCON-NOB-FALCON-トゥルーワイヤレスイヤホン完全ワイヤレス/dp/B07Z8XFJXB?

EDIT: nevermind everything truly wireless seems to have good reviews on there. Probably not trustworthy.

As a frequent shopper on Amazon.co.jp, not everything does as well as the falcon seems to.
That being said, I wasn't the biggest fan of the long tips. It does sound pretty good and has a lot of the more important features, though.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #19,732 of 62,573
Received my back up pair of Sabbath X12 and I am overall very happy. At 31$ I feared I’d get some knock off or returned set. But it came factory sealed in the familiar box and works / sounds overall as expected. With 2 minor exceptions:
While I did a good 70minute run this morning with no connection drops whatsoever, when I sit at my desk, I get the weirdest BT stutter on occasion. Yes, there’s wifi and other BT sources, but that has not been an issue so far. The other thing is bizarre and amusing: the left bud’s auto-voice is English (and I swear this lady says ‘connected?’ with an audible question mark) while the right ear bud still speaks Chinese!!!!

323A4C34-8FE0-40AA-838D-5C65A1E6800C.jpeg

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #19,733 of 62,573
Received my back up pair of Sabbath X12 and I am overall very happy. At 31$ I feared I’d get some knock off or returned set. But it came factory sealed in the familiar box and works / sounds overall as expected. With 2 minor exceptions:
While I did a good 70minute run this morning with no connection drops whatsoever, when I sit at my desk, I get the weirdest BT stutter on occasion. Yes, there’s wifi and other BT sources, but that has not been an issue so far. The other thing is bizarre and amusing: the left bud’s auto-voice is English (and I swear this lady says ‘connected?’ with an audible question mark) while the right ear bud still speaks Chinese!!!!

I'd try a factory reset them so they aren't paired together (hold buttons for 10-15 seconds, should make 2 sets of tones).

If that doesn't work. Reset again, then I'd turn the right one on and tap 5x to change between English and Chinese. Then reset again, turn both on and let them pair together, and re-pair to your device. Kinda a pita lol.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #19,734 of 62,573

Nice move on having some backups, glad I have some too ! It's the USB-C version, right ? I don't think anyone here ever got the QC3020 version ?

I'm still toying with the idea of getting the GGMM T1 for when it's really windy as the X12 really "catch" the wind pretty bad. I can't see any other TWEs that would work well for running at this point. I might try to run with my Bomakers that have less "thump" it seems with the misodiko shiny foams.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #19,735 of 62,573
I'd try a factory reset them so they aren't paired together (hold buttons for 10-15 seconds, should make 2 sets of tones).

If that doesn't work. Reset again, then I'd turn the right one on and tap 5x to change between English and Chinese. Then reset again, turn both on and let them pair together, and re-pair to your device. Kinda a pita lol.
Is that to fix the language issue? Honestly, I don't mind, I still have some sets that only speak Chinese and I think I kinda have figured out what they say (not really, but good enough) ... for that I might skip the PITA
if on the other hand this is to make BT more stable, that's worth a try.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #19,736 of 62,573
I think this argument is really a non-argument, since we all have our preferences and will EQ here & there to hit our sweet spot. I'm sure the Beatles didn't intend for me to add some monster sub-bass to any of their tracks, but that's what I fully intend to do. In fact, I'm going to add even more just because they didn't intend for me to do that. :yum:

Absolutely, it's about user preference, and that's what we should be telling the reader :thumbsup: ...mind you ..."monster sub-base" ..."Beatles" that's tantamount to blasphemy :)

Music is produced in such a way that will allow it to play well across a variety of speakers and formats, which has little to do with how it was intended to be listened to. If you want to hear how an artist means for a song to be heard go to their concert. At most concerts you will find the bass is cranked up and the highs rolled off to avoid creating sounds that most consider undesirable if not painful.

Yea, live music is a whole different dynamic, which often doesn't record well for playing back in your living room. Although, I've been to some damned awful concerts where it was maybe sounding good in their monitors but what we got I'm sure wasn't intended, lol

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #19,737 of 62,573
Absolutely, it's about user preference, and that's what we should be telling the reader :thumbsup: ...mind you ..."monster sub-base" ..."Beatles" that's tantamount to blasphemy :)

Yea, live music is a whole different dynamic, which often doesn't record well for playing back in your living room. Although, I've been to some damned awful concerts where it was maybe sounding good in their monitors but what we got I'm sure wasn't intended, lol
Trust me, 90% of sound engineer has hearing lost. If you go to a concert and the high is piercing, chances are the head engineer can't hear those spike in frequency already and to him/her, this sounds good but for normal people it is piercing af.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #19,738 of 62,573
I'm a contrarian. I rarely do what others intend for me to do. :yum:

I think the phrase "what the artist intended" has turned into a marketing ploy. First, we have no idea what the artist intended. Did they mix based on the type of gear most mainstream consumers have? What genre? Second, Dr. Dre said we're not hearing "all the music", so that's why we need to buy Beats. Not to bash Beats, because I think the Solo3 & Studio3 sound good, especially for mobile use and the gym, but clearly, if you want to hear "all the music", you're not going to be listening wirelessly and not going to be using either of those.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #19,739 of 62,573
Ok - I have four sets in rotation right now. A quick summary of where my listening is at, and tips that have worked for me

1. Nuarl 6P - by far these are the most natural, enjoyable set to listen to for extended period, regardless the source. I find myself loving the sound,
Connectivity : Rock Solid.
Comfort & Fit: Surprisingly easy and comfortable to wear despite the large form factor and relative heft. The provide excellent passive isolation.
Tips : Spinfit CP 360s provide a good fit for me

2. Maven Air-Xr Qi - these are heavy on the bass, but provide an enjoyable soundstage. If they had an app, I'd EQ down the lows.
Connectivity : Rock Solid.
Comfort & Fit : Super lightweight, great isolation. Easy to grab and go on the bike.
Tips : After trying spinfits, foams, I settled on the oval silicon tips they ship with, which provided the best isolation and sound for me

3. Libratone Track Air + - once I got a good fit they sounded very aggressive, perhaps a bit metallic, definitely bass forward even with the neutral EQ setting. The isolation even with the best tips I found is quite poor though so it sort of requires ANC. The app is bizarre in how you dial the ANC in and out - Smart mode works well except when you are walking when it detects and puts in too much passthrough
Connectivity: Prone to occasional dropouts compared to my other units
Comfort & Fit : These were a nightmare for me to find something that worked. The tips they ship with provided bad isolation and given the strange shallow connection point they tended to smoosh against the surface of my ear, so I looked for something with a little longer interior barrel. Once in, they are so light you can forget about them though
Tips : Spinfit CP 100z's -- after trying 360s', foam, shipped tips, the tips I had accumulated from my other IEMs, these are the only ones that stayed attached, and went deep enough to provide reasonable bass and isolation. All other tips for me sounded flat. I wonder if this is why the default sound signature feels like it has overly boosted lows when you use a good 3rd party tip

4. Mifo O7 - I've written of these before. Want to like them but the bass distortion is absolutely horrible even at low volumes, much worse than others. I am trying a replacement and I'll report back with what I found ( try Mona Lisa by De Staat for almost constant clipping in my unit)
Connectivity : Totally solid
Comfort & Fit : More comfortable than the Track Air +s as they have a more rounded form factor despite being slightly heavier. No complaints
Tips : Same tips work on this as with my Nuarl 6Ps - the CP 360s are fine. Good isolation, no complaints

So in order of goodness :

Nuarl 6P >> Mavis Air-Xr Qi > Libratone Track Air +

all are perfectly good sets but the only one I think that even approaches regular IEM sound is the 6P. The Xr is a terrific compromise set, the track air + is skewed mass consumer sound for pop I think, and the jury out on the O7s until I get a replacement.

Ok - received my replacement Mifo O7s - exactly the same issue as before on precisely the same songs and more - any sort of deep bass, regardless of volume, introduces metallic clipping and rattling - since bass by it's nature tends to be cyclic, this makes anything with any depth very hard to listen to. Very pleasant and comfortable to listen to folk and lighter fare. But both pairs of O7s going back, alas.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #19,740 of 62,573

that's why i always carry an earplug to concerts... because I don't trust their level of EQ and decibel level :ksc75smile:

i responded to people who wrote "just as the artist /audio engineers intended" so often in this forum that I started to get tired and just leave them be.
most who made that statement never worked in audio fields. even if they do, but still make that statement, they usually are not very adaptive to varying situations and have questionable work flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back