Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #19,321 of 62,439
Another Indiegogo launch, Pearl Buds with solar charging. They use QCC5121. Not sure if there is a complete ambient sound mode as it says there's 2 ANC modes, one is "quiet mode" that lets some sounds in. I would have preferred a full ambient mode as well as a reduced one as Sony first did on the MDR-1000X.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pearl-ai-powered-earbuds-with-solar-charging?utm_source=Pre-Launch&utm_campaign=c106c89a11-IGG+Launch+-+Launch+Day+(Resend)&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_03f2312857-c106c89a11-184049293&mc_cid=c106c89a11&mc_eid=b418e07c5d#/comments
If you check the videos, the people’s testimonials look scripted/fake and why is in the “factory” video are they working on “AirPod clones”?
If their tech really works, the Chinese will copy it in no time and make it available for cheaper. Fake AirPods Pro were available on the 2nd or 3rd day after Apple officially released them.
My personal experience with Indiegogo/Kickstarter is: if you don’t lose your money, you will get a half-baked product.
Anything that was a hit was later always available on Amazon cheaper then “early bird” crap.
The only reason to back any of the “tech” projects is if you feel bored...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #19,322 of 62,439
They adjetives you use to describe the ssk and the Mpow don't mention cold/warm/dark. You called the T1x warm in it's comparison to the TWS6, but in my exp. the T1x is as cool as a cucumber compared to the MPOW M5.So I guess what i'm asking is in your definition of cold do you mean lacking low and mid bass? because while the T1x on bass eq has a good amount of low end, it's never what I would consider warm. Sorry if this is just semantics, just trying to understand. Would you also compare the Tevi pre beta firmware as cold as well?
Ah, I see. I think a warm tonality is sort of the standard. It’s what you see on most TWS, IEM’s, headphones and speakers. When a TWS sounds less warm than average, that’s when I describe it. I agree that the T1X sounds on the colder side - and the Edifier TWS6 sounds even colder. I do consider the pre-beta sound of the Tevi cold too, indeed. Less mid-bass/ lower-mids warmth, more emphasis on vocals. It’s still one of the hardest bits to put my finger on, though.

:frowning2:
I have the Tronsmart Spunky Beat. I like them alot, except for the very sensitive touch controls.
Is the Onyx Neo even better than the Spunky Beats?
No. It sounds too harsh and has less bass definition.

If you check the videos, the people’s testimonials look scripted/fake and why is in the “factory” video are they working on “AirPod clones”?
If their tech really works, the Chinese will copy it in no time and make it available for cheaper. Fake AirPods Pro were available on the 2nd or 3rd day after Apple officially released them.
My personal experience with Indiegogo/Kickstarter is: if you don’t lose your money, you will get a half-baked product.
Anything that was a hit was later always available on Amazon cheaper then “early bird” crap.
I stay away from Kickstarter/ crowdfunding audio projects. The ones I got sent over for reviews, were some of the worst earphones I received (Pamu Slide, a big sporty model of iKonex with horrible touch controls and a mode that combined good sounding earbuds with a terrible smart watch).

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #19,323 of 62,439
No. It sounds too harsh and has less bass definition.
My onyx definitely doesn't sound harash, trebles are pleasant and detailed. They are not for bassheaders, but with the right eartips, I can't complain about the lack of bass. They just like some lowrange BAs don't go too deep into the sub bass area.
Just out of curiosity, what version of spunky beat do you compare with onyx? Tronsmart releases a new version every month :)
v1 - no volume control and blinks during playback
v2 - with volume control and blinks
v3 - with volume control and no blinks

edit: For example Massive Attack - Angel without any eq the bass line sounds amazing on my onyx neo. I don't really want hear more bass here. Maybe some QC issue on your pair of onyx, or some driver batch difference.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #19,324 of 62,439
Bit of a side question, but what other sources than your phones are ppl using here for their TWS?

I have a few DAPs that do BT, I'd say the Shanling M3s would be the top of the line (of my humble circus), but I end up not using it a lot because it is quite cumbersome to handle, starting with reconnecting a TWS (after i made the phone forget it) then to selecting music ... it is not very intuitive ... I tried the hiby link, but that was also more prone to hit/miss/fail/disconnect ... I also got a cheapo Benjie K1 which is ok, but BT connection is eeehhh at best ... so, I found myself browsing around and wanted to ask what other's here use. Stable connection, ease of use, maybe a working touchscreen (not only by name) ... came across the Tempotec V1 (and V1A, if only BT, I could save 20$ and take the non analog version) and the JWD-JWM 115 ...

Please chime in with your suggestions.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #19,325 of 62,439
Bit of a side question, but what other sources than your phones are ppl using here for their TWS?

I have a few DAPs that do BT, I'd say the Shanling M3s would be the top of the line (of my humble circus), but I end up not using it a lot because it is quite cumbersome to handle, starting with reconnecting a TWS (after i made the phone forget it) then to selecting music ... it is not very intuitive ... I tried the hiby link, but that was also more prone to hit/miss/fail/disconnect ... I also got a cheapo Benjie K1 which is ok, but BT connection is eeehhh at best ... so, I found myself browsing around and wanted to ask what other's here use. Stable connection, ease of use, maybe a working touchscreen (not only by name) ... came across the Tempotec V1 (and V1A, if only BT, I could save 20$ and take the non analog version) and the JWD-JWM 115 ...

I just use my LG G7 for all audio needs

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #19,326 of 62,439

I have a few DAPs that do BT, I'd say the Shanling M3s would be the top of the line (of my humble circus),
I use the Liberty 2 Pro with Shanling M3s almost exclusively. I have no complaints with M3s. If I have any complaints, it would be with L2P - they still sound too bright/shouty to me, even after turning the highs all the way down in custom EQ.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #19,327 of 62,439
for those that have used the wired Etymotics, are there any tips out there that would get me a similar seal as one could get with the Ety tips for my Shanling MTW100? even with the smallest tips after insertion it slides back out a few seconds later, not enough to fall off, but that seal is gone

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #19,328 of 62,439

Does a DAP provide any benefit when using bluetooth given the limited bandwidth of BT? I would think for TWS, it should not really matter as it is more convenience than listening critically to hi-res music.

I just use my TWS and other bluetooth IEMs/receivers with my phone (UAPP/QoBuz and Amazon Music) or with my good old (and slowly dying) Surface Pro 4 at the office since out IT policy does not allow us to install applications on our desktops. I also have my Senn MTW paired to my Fire TV.

EDITED: I realized after I posted that this may come across the wrong way. I ask the first question mostly out of curiosity since I was considering upgrading an extra phone line I have to use for music streaming but am now wondering if I should be looking at DAPs instead.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #19,329 of 62,439
Does a DAP provide any benefit when using bluetooth given the limited bandwidth of BT? I would think for TWS, it should not really matter as it is more convenience than listening critically to hi-res music.
The idea is to have a more dedicated music device and lots more space to lug music around (I barely do streaming other than mixcloud)
This Tempotec comes in 2 flavors, with DAC (100$) and without DAC (80$) ... and I like the whole hiby link idea, maybe this has become more stable since I last played with it.

I also really really like the idea that a phone call CANNOT interrupt my music :D

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #19,330 of 62,439
The idea is to have a more dedicated music device and lots more space to lug music around (I barely do streaming other than mixcloud)
This Tempotec comes in 2 flavors, with DAC (100$) and without DAC (80$) ... and I like the whole hiby link idea, maybe this has become more stable since I last played with it.

I also really really like the idea that a phone call CANNOT interrupt my music :D

Got it. Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #19,332 of 62,439
The only audio product that I've ever backed on kickstarter was when 1964 audio partnered with ADEL technology back then. It took about more than a year to get my product and it is a good product just takes longer to get. They were already pretty established on custom IEM world unlike many startup company back then so it was more reassuring.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #19,333 of 62,439

I use a HiBy R6 Pro. I love it... drives my Audeze LCD-2’s, has balanced port, and you can save Tidal and Qobuz offline

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #19,334 of 62,439
First full video review I’ve seen on the 1more ANC. Look solid but the battery is not great.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #19,335 of 62,439
I use a HiBy R6 Pro. I love it... drives my Audeze LCD-2’s, has balanced port, and you can save Tidal and Qobuz offline

For balanced out I am quite happy with my Shanling, for the few times I still do wired :)
Actually, while looking at things and digging up stuff, I connected my Shanling to my 1more E1026BT (AptX!) and that's such a nice pairing!

I feel like I really do not need another DAP :)

darn greed/hoarding mania!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back