Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #19,351 of 62,036
You may be alluding to two conflicting sets of requirements here, I'm afraid. Higher sound quality requires more bandwidth, which means it'll be more susceptible to interference/dropouts at the same distance as a lower bandwidth/lower sound quality connection.

This page has some info on quality of various BT codecs and their connection quality / range, but I'm not sure that there is a clear winner, or "consensus":
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

It looks like AAC may be a good compromise between sound quality and connection quality; however, I've read that AAC implementation on Android devices isn't as good as on iOS, so that may not help you with respect to your Samsung phone.
If you have access to "Developer Options," search for "Bluetooth Audio Codec" option to see what's available to you. Granted, just because your phone may support it does not mean your TWS does, too.

Thanks for your reply. Options for Bluetooth Audio Codec are SBC, AAC, aptX, LDAC, scalable, all and default. SBC was default and is selected. On Trigger Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec selection: Playback quality, I have Optimized for Audio Quality (990kbps); Balanced (660kbps); Optimized for Connection Quality (330kbps) and Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate), with the latter being the selected default.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #19,352 of 62,036
Just got my Echo Buds! Man, i'm excited. impressions to come...

first impressions. the fit is awesome, passive noise isolation excellent! excellent at +5 it's almost as good as the APPs. ANC it's really good, not as good as the APPs, but better than the Sony's. They keep failing the ear tip test. hmm.. more to follow.

Good thumpy bass, crisp highs but overall pretty heavy V shape sound even when I bump the eq on the mids. they are still thin, but overall they are really enjoyable to listen to, still way better in SQ than the APPs. I've got to say, overall i'm SUPER impressed. I love the alexa app integration. I'm heavily invested in the Alexa ecosystem, so i'm familiar with it and the integration is beautiful. I'm going to spend some more time with them and do some burn in, but wow. For $90 these are keepers.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #19,353 of 62,036

first impressions. the fit is awesome, passive noise isolation excellent! excellent at +5 it's almost as good as the APPs. ANC it's really good, not as good as the APPs, but better than the Sony's. They keep failing the ear tip test. hmm.. more to follow.

Good thumpy bass, crisp highs but overall pretty heavy V shape sound even when I bump the eq on the mids. they are still thin, but overall they are really enjoyable to listen to, still way better in SQ than the APPs. I've got to say, overall i'm SUPER impressed. I love the alexa app integration. I'm heavily invested in the Alexa ecosystem, so i'm familiar with it and the integration is beautiful. I'm going to spend some more time with them and do some burn in, but wow. For $90 these are keepers.

Glad you like the Echo Buds — so do I, for many of the same reasons. They’re a steal at $90. They seem much more durable than my AirPod Pros, which keep failing the ear tip test after about a week of use. (I’ve replaced the APPs several times due to the fit test issue, and my current pair are now failing the tip test — so there seems to be a design flaw. All pairs passed the tip test for the first week or so.)

Also, the new firmware update for the Echo Buds adds volume controls. They’re great for phone calls too. I’m also enjoying the Libratone Track Air+. There are going to be lots of terrific options for great TWS earphones going forward.

And I’m curious to see what happens when the new “LE Audio” standard is implemented. Unfortunately, it will make all of our current equipment obsolete — but it should allow better audio quality and much longer battery life.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #19,354 of 62,036
Glad you like the Echo Buds — so do I, for many of the same reasons. They’re a steal at $90. They seem much more durable than my AirPod Pros, which keep failing the ear tip test after about a week of use. (I’ve replaced the APPs several times due to the fit test issue, and my current pair are now failing the tip test — so there seems to be a design flaw. All pairs passed the tip test for the first week or so.)

Also, the new firmware update for the Echo Buds adds volume controls. They’re great for phone calls too. I’m also enjoying the Libratone Track Air+. There are going to be lots of terrific options for great TWS earphones going forward.

And I’m curious to see what happens when the new “LE Audio” standard is implemented. Unfortunately, it will make all of our current equipment obsolete — but it should allow better audio quality and much longer battery life.
I'll have to grab that firmware. I haven't had any issues with my current APPs and I do like the transparency mode better, but I also feel like they are much better made than the APPs.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #19,355 of 62,036

Well I hate :wink: to be the one who told you so but I'm glad others are getting to enjoy this excellent performer ! You're happy with the passive isolation with a "failed ear test", wait till you improve the fit (the L stock tips work best for me with a slight "rotation" towards the front after being put into place). As for the ANR (why do you mention +5, it's either on/off for me, do you mean ambient ?) it really needs to be evaluated in light of the overall isolation. The APPs (or LTA+) have little passive isolation to speak of so their ANC has/will be impressive when turned on.

I just wish they added a toggling option to turn ANR/Ambient OFF so that you can ride your bike with them without pullig out the app.

As a side note mine have not gotten the latest FW update yet,

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #19,356 of 62,036
Well I hate :wink: to be the one who told you so but I'm glad others are getting to enjoy this excellent performer ! You're happy with the passive isolation with a "failed ear test", wait till you improve the fit (the L stock tips work best for me with a slight "rotation" towards the front after being put into place). As for the ANR (why do you mention +5, it's either on/off for me, do you mean ambient ?) it really needs to be evaluated in light of the overall isolation. The APPs (or LTA+) have little passive isolation to speak of so their ANC has/will be impressive when turned on.

I just wish they added a toggling option to turn ANR/Ambient OFF so that you can ride your bike with them without pullig out the app.

As a side note mine have not gotten the latest FW update yet,

Good point. I use the off on my Apps all the time. I've been trying to figure out how to update them, but it says the auto update while they are charging. What? and yes i meant the ambient/passthrough. It's much more bassy than the Apps and the XM3's but it's still better than the XM3. i'm going to do some more ANC and passive isolation tests.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #19,357 of 62,036
It turns out I had the latest 306714878 version (update process is completely transparent) but couldn't see the Volume settings because I didn't have the latest version of the app. I suppose it's a nice addition but with two controls per ear I'm not sure what I could sacrifice. Adding a triple tap would have been thoughtful !

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #19,358 of 62,036
It turns out I had the latest 306714878 version (update process is completely transparent) but couldn't see the Volume settings because I didn't have the latest version of the app. I suppose it's a nice addition but with two controls per ear I'm not sure what I could sacrifice. Adding a triple tap would have been thoughtful !
Took a while to update mine. Seems I had to update to two different firmwares. One has to happen before you get to the latest. Odd. That said, now I have volume controls. Love it. My Klipsch T5's are getting returned.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #19,359 of 62,036
Took a while to update mine. Seems I had to update to two different firmwares. One has to happen before you get to the latest. Odd. That said, now I have volume controls. Love it. My Klipsch T5's are getting returned.
Weird, i didn't have the most recent version of the Alexa app either. I thought I had iOS set to auto update my apps. hmm..

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #19,360 of 62,036
Looks like House of Marley and SOL Republic ANC true wireless are popping up on Amazon

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #19,361 of 62,036
FWIW, I have set the taps to (1) press and hold on left is ANR/Passthrough + Pause, (2) press and hold on right is Next Song, (3) double tap on left is Volume Down, and (4) double tap on right is Volume Up. That’s what works for me. I have basically the same settings on the LTA+, except it’s double taps and triple taps — and I replaced Next Song with Activate Siri (since there’s no voice activated assistant as with the Echo Buds).

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #19,362 of 62,036
You have to download it from here

http://www.mifo.hk/appdwon/

Inside the zip you will find 3 folders: one with the apk and 2 with firmware. One for dual driver pair and one for single driver version. Also you will find a video

I did it with another phone following the video and using Google translator in real-time via cam

Before I take this on...is there a way to know if mine need the update, and can you share what the update will do for me?

thanks!!!!

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #19,363 of 62,036

Yep, they are a great buy at $90. Easy to recommend at that price.

They put out a ridiculous amount of bass for dual BA's -- like dynamic driver bass levels. Here are the hybrid IEMs in my current rotation:
- RHA ma750 (Dynamic Driver only)
- fidue a83
- 1more triples
- 1more quads
- trinity delta (og version)
- trinity master (remake and og version)
- sony A3
- westone um30 (and um20) (BA drivers only)

The echo buds at the default eq setting (pre mid january firmware) in the app puts out more bass than all of these BA and hybrid BA IEMs by a mile.

While the echo buds highs are decently crisp, they fall way short of the signature BA treble clarity. The mids are the weakest part of the Echo Buds but I'm still struggling to describe what's lacking (i have an ear infection at the moment, so haven't been able to give the new firmware a good listen). I wouldn't necessarily describe the Echo bud's mids as recessed, though.

The new firmware update tames the low end a bit but I still bump the low eq down a couple notches in the app.

I think the Echo Buds are the best TWS earphones under a $100.

cc: @turbobb

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #19,364 of 62,036
Just spent a bit of time mucking around with ViPer4Android and I have to say that I remain ridiculously impressed with the Syllable S101 earbuds.

I'm a big fan of Apt-x and with a bit of EQ, Viper DDC, Viper Bass....these things are incredible. I think a big part of this is that the tips fit my ear canals near perfectly. It sounds like the music is coming from inside my brain.

APT-X and dual-drivers ftw.

I absolutely love viper4android! I always have a rooted android phone in rotation to take advantage of viper4android. It's what saves the Apple Airpods Pros for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back