Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #19,337 of 62,086
Hmm... great point people are making on Codec’s. Although the HiBy supports LDAC, that’s not very important if you don’t have earbuds or headphones that have LDAC, like Sony’s

Although I do plug my HiBy into my Nvidia Shield in USB-DAC mode and transmit audio using LDAC to my EarStudio ES100 and plug my IEM’s into the ES100. Kind of an obscure use-case though

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #19,338 of 62,086
Bit of a side question, but what other sources than your phones are ppl using here for their TWS?

I have a few DAPs that do BT, I'd say the Shanling M3s would be the top of the line (of my humble circus), but I end up not using it a lot because it is quite cumbersome to handle, starting with reconnecting a TWS (after i made the phone forget it) then to selecting music ... it is not very intuitive ... I tried the hiby link, but that was also more prone to hit/miss/fail/disconnect ... I also got a cheapo Benjie K1 which is ok, but BT connection is eeehhh at best ... so, I found myself browsing around and wanted to ask what other's here use. Stable connection, ease of use, maybe a working touchscreen (not only by name) ... came across the Tempotec V1 (and V1A, if only BT, I could save 20$ and take the non analog version) and the JWD-JWM 115 ...

Please chime in with your suggestions.

I plug this into my laptop at work.
I have this connected to the sound card in my PC at home so I can use my AKG K702s wirelessly through my Fiio BTR3 or my Liberty Pro 2s (whatever suits my fancy at the time).
Everything else is through my Galaxy S9+.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #19,340 of 62,086
These looks good with a long nozzle and kind of different form factor. Graphics are chinese tho so I don't really get the specs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32960997975.html

I got the dual driver (BA/DD) version of those from Amazon (now only $19.99). They're not bad but very mid-forward. Was planning on providing a consolidated update of all the budget ones I've been trying this past month. More to come...

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #19,341 of 62,086
My onyx definitely doesn't sound harash, trebles are pleasant and detailed. They are not for bassheaders, but with the right eartips, I can't complain about the lack of bass. They just like some lowrange BAs don't go too deep into the sub bass area.
Just out of curiosity, what version of spunky beat do you compare with onyx? Tronsmart releases a new version every month :)
v1 - no volume control and blinks during playback
v2 - with volume control and blinks
v3 - with volume control and no blinks

edit: For example Massive Attack - Angel without any eq the bass line sounds amazing on my onyx neo. I don't really want hear more bass here. Maybe some QC issue on your pair of onyx, or some driver batch difference.
I have all three versions of the Spunky Beat and one Onyx Neo. I see people that also have both, share similar impressions.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #19,342 of 62,086
does he compare the ANC to the APP?
Kinda not in the mood for another 10min dose of Jim right now :D

(ok, I ended up scrubbing through it ... solid ANC but not APP / XM3 level)
If the ANC isn’t as good as the Apple AirPods Pro, can it still be entitled good?

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #19,343 of 62,086
Bit of a side question, but what other sources than your phones are ppl using here for their TWS?

I have a few DAPs that do BT, I'd say the Shanling M3s would be the top of the line (of my humble circus), but I end up not using it a lot because it is quite cumbersome to handle, starting with reconnecting a TWS (after i made the phone forget it) then to selecting music ... it is not very intuitive ... I tried the hiby link, but that was also more prone to hit/miss/fail/disconnect ... I also got a cheapo Benjie K1 which is ok, but BT connection is eeehhh at best ... so, I found myself browsing around and wanted to ask what other's here use. Stable connection, ease of use, maybe a working touchscreen (not only by name) ... came across the Tempotec V1 (and V1A, if only BT, I could save 20$ and take the non analog version) and the JWD-JWM 115 ...

Please chime in with your suggestions.
I mainly use my phone but I have a 128gb iPod touch filled (almost) with Tidal for offline listening. I use the iPod at the gym a lot or if my phone is low.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #19,344 of 62,086
From a sound quality perspective, there should be no difference, assuming both devices (DAP and phone) support the same BT standards. Main difference is from a convenience perspective and having a dedicated tool for the job.

Stupid question, but searching this thread for "developer options settings" provided no help: is there consensus about which settings should be changed from the default on a Samsung phone to increase Bluetooth quality without dropouts at 10 feet?

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #19,345 of 62,086
Apologies if this is off-topic but I wanted to mention that I’m seeing a significant increase in “range” with the N6 Pro’s to my iPhone 7, compared with Jabra 65t.

There’s a spot in my house where I get this annoying popping sound with the Jabra’s that I plan to test

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #19,346 of 62,086
Well, after a roughly 30 hours of breaking in my Nualr N6's the driver flex is bad. i'm listening to them now while chewing gum and it's border line unbearable. UGH..... It's not an issue if I don't use tighter type silicone buds like the stock tips and my Spiral Dots, but with my Symbio's it flexes and pops every time I move my jaw.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #19,347 of 62,086
Stupid question, but searching this thread for "developer options settings" provided no help: is there consensus about which settings should be changed from the default on a Samsung phone to increase Bluetooth quality without dropouts at 10 feet?
You may be alluding to two conflicting sets of requirements here, I'm afraid. Higher sound quality requires more bandwidth, which means it'll be more susceptible to interference/dropouts at the same distance as a lower bandwidth/lower sound quality connection.

This page has some info on quality of various BT codecs and their connection quality / range, but I'm not sure that there is a clear winner, or "consensus":
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

It looks like AAC may be a good compromise between sound quality and connection quality; however, I've read that AAC implementation on Android devices isn't as good as on iOS, so that may not help you with respect to your Samsung phone.
If you have access to "Developer Options," search for "Bluetooth Audio Codec" option to see what's available to you. Granted, just because your phone may support it does not mean your TWS does, too.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #19,348 of 62,086
You may be alluding to two conflicting sets of requirements here, I'm afraid. Higher sound quality requires more bandwidth, which means it'll be more susceptible to interference/dropouts at the same distance as a lower bandwidth/lower sound quality connection.

This page has some info on quality of various BT codecs and their connection quality / range, but I'm not sure that there is a clear winner, or "consensus":
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

It looks like AAC may be a good compromise between sound quality and connection quality; however, I've read that AAC implementation on Android devices isn't as good as on iOS, so that may not help you with respect to your Samsung phone.
If you have access to "Developer Options," search for "Bluetooth Audio Codec" option to see what's available to you. Granted, just because your phone may support it does not mean your TWS does, too.
Here's some real world bro science. On my mac I can adjust the AAC bit rate and there is a sweet spot about 70% up. Anything more and I have to be right next to it otherwise I start to get dropouts, almost no matter what TWS i'm using. I have noticed some are better than others and the Sony's, Nuarls and APPs seem to have less issues than some of the other devices I have. I also use an external BT Trackpad II and that seems to hurt the reception depending on where I have it placed and turned on. Range is worse with AptX.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #19,349 of 62,086
Well, after a roughly 30 hours of breaking in my Nualr N6's the driver flex is bad. i'm listening to them now while chewing gum and it's border line unbearable. UGH..... It's not an issue if I don't use tighter type silicone buds like the stock tips and my Spiral Dots, but with my Symbio's it flexes and pops every time I move my jaw.
Man that sounds awful.

I’m using Acoustune AET 08 tips on mine and the fit is amazing... I found out about them from a guy in the forum who recommended them for my JH Lola’s.

Stock tips and even the Spinfits pop out when I chew food, move my head, walk around. Not sure if they’d help for driver flex though

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #19,350 of 62,086
Man that sounds awful.

I’m using Acoustune AET 08 tips on mine and the fit is amazing... I found out about them from a guy in the forum who recommended them for my JH Lola’s.

Stock tips and even the Spinfits pop out when I chew food, move my head, walk around. Not sure if they’d help for driver flex though
Those look like the exact tips that come with the MPOW M5/T5 sans the memory foam. Any idea what the difference in the AET 08 and 08a is?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back