Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 9, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #10,396 of 62,307
I just want to love the KZ T1 so, so much. But I can’t. It’s sound quality only. :frowning2:

D129F8D2-762C-408A-BE8E-C507C894ACD5.jpeg

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #10,397 of 62,307
my favorite eartips that I use and think sounds best with them is the tennmak /KZ whirlwind, as it can go quite flush with the nozzle and can still fit in the charging case

Got a link to those for me? Preferably AliExpress. I thought I was done buying stuff, but I guess I could be convinced if they're a significant upgrade from the stock tips :wink:

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #10,398 of 62,307
I just want to love the KZ T1 so, so much. But I can’t. It’s sound quality only. :frowning2:

Thanks I'll wait for the 2nd revision. Hopefully they will fix the volume controls. So these are comparable to the mpow t5. Whoa.

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #10,399 of 62,307
Do the Beats have ambient mode? I thought about getting a pair for cycling, but I assumed the ear hook arm things would cause hella wind noise.

I actually went a different direction for bike riding, to a set of Bose Soundwear (recently on sale for half price). After many close calls over the years, I’ve tried many different solutions and was never really happy with any of them. The Soundwears are everything I could have ever hoped for, with regards to maximum situational awareness PLUS good sound.

I've been thinking of getting TWS for cycling as well. Been thinking of picking up the Jabra Elite Active 65t. Wondering how those would be for cycling (would probably just use the right ear). Also, does anyone have experience with the new JBL Reflect Flow?

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #10,400 of 62,307
I've been thinking of getting TWS for cycling as well. Been thinking of picking up the Jabra Elite Active 65t. Wondering how those would be for cycling (would probably just use the right ear). Also, does anyone have experience with the new JBL Reflect Flow?
Good! Low wind noise as far as I tested.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't try the active version, just the ’regular’ Elite.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #10,401 of 62,307
I'm selling my Jabra elite active 65t, pm if interested.

This BT is really starting to pick up. This time last year there was so little to choose from and now its hard to decide what to get.

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #10,402 of 62,307
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #10,403 of 62,307

Well, don't get me wrong, I had been using the QCY QS1 for cycling and absolutely loved them. They fit flush in the ear so they're comfortable with helmets, there is virtually zero wind noise (which is horrible on many earphones due to the wind catching certain edges of the shell), and the wireless freedom is something I've been waiting decades for. I had no problems with sweat or the occasional rain storm, although I have no clue what their IPX rating is.

My personal reason for switching to the Soundwear is because I value my life much more than other people apparently value my life. I need 100% open situational awareness when cycling on an open road, and I'm willing to trade great sound quality for it. There's just too many crazies out there. I do still use the QCY QS1 for cycling on closed paths (not 1 ear but both ears).

Speaking of which, like you indicated, I did the 1 ear thing while cycling for a long time (going all the way back to Walkman and Discman days). Sadly (and I have no way to prove this), I am convinced that's why I have mild hearing loss in 1 ear moreso than in my other ear.

Anyways, I'll be curious what TW you decide on and how it works out for you while cycling. Keep us posted :)

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,404 of 62,307
Well, don't get me wrong, I had been using the QCY QS1 for cycling and absolutely loved them. They fit flush in the ear so they're comfortable with helmets, there is virtually zero wind noise (which is horrible on many earphones due to the wind catching certain edges of the shell), and the wireless freedom is something I've been waiting decades for. I had no problems with sweat or the occasional rain storm, although I have no clue what their IPX rating is.

My personal reason for switching to the Soundwear is because I value my life much more than other people apparently value my life. I need 100% open situational awareness when cycling on an open road, and I'm willing to trade great sound quality for it. There's just too many crazies out there. I do still use the QCY QS1 for cycling on closed paths (not 1 ear but both ears).

Speaking of which, like you indicated, I did the 1 ear thing while cycling for a long time (going all the way back to Walkman and Discman days). Sadly (and I have no way to prove this), I am convinced that's why I have mild hearing loss in 1 ear moreso than in my other ear.

Anyways, I'll be curious what TW you decide on and how it works out for you while cycling. Keep us posted :)
The Bose Soundwear looks like it's been discounted 50% off pretty much everywhere at $149. Not a bad deal. A few trials with it were actually quite satisfying for what it was. I'm tempted to grab one for TV, movies, etc.

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #10,405 of 62,307

using the Soundwear, it's basically like putting speakers around the neck, right? does the music also sounds loud to other people around you? i personally haven't tried this form factor and a little intrigued

you might also consider the open earbuds type like Sabbat X12 and similar for alternative, but i reckon the soundwear might deliver bigger bass vibration to the body.

i also doesn't like wearing single earphone, because it will make me up the volume a bit louder than i usually using two, and (like what you have found) it's dangerous and a higher potential hearing loss on a single ear. I'd rather put both in and dial the volume really low.

i also use the QCY T1C for motorcycle driving, mainly to block wind noise. if i put music on, I'll set it with a low enough volume so i could still hear if i snap my finger outside my helmet. the Nillkin also works great, but with even bigger sound leakage because of the open back nature. i prefer the QCY because it fits my need (wind noise blocking) more

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #10,406 of 62,307
Sabbat E12 (original AAC version) arrived. Right bud was low on battery and wouldn't pair right away, so they are charging now. Quick impressions are that the right bud seems to be bassier... =/ Either way, after the Firefly Pro, I can't really get why people are calling these bass cannons.

I can also confirm once for all that Sabbat E12 supports PD charging (considering Samsung is transitioning to Type C to C cables with the Note 10, this is important!)

Anyone else with the Air UFO BE30 feel like the voice messages are so obnoxious? For example, press + hold changes the track, and there is a voice on the left side saying "forward" or "reverse", which partly interferes with your track on the left channel. Another major difference from Coolhere UFO is that both left or right earbud can be used individually (it will tell you which one is primary/secondary upon removing them from the case). The Coolhere UFO only allows the right bud to be used for mono. Is this different on Anbes 359 or Kissral R18? I feel like the right bud has a bit more mid emphasis, removing/re-adding the filters seems to have balanced it somewhat, otherwise I might try stuffing some foam into the nozzle. Overall it's a neutral sound with good detail retrieval.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #10,407 of 62,307
Picked up the "TAGRY" TWS for $39. All-in-all, I'm satisfied.

PROS
- Nice brushed metal, quality, premium feeling case. Similar to the Mifo O5, but lighter with a smaller battery (1,000 mah vs. 2,600 mah). In the top 20% of cases.
- Ergonomic, comfortable, low profile fit.
- Responsive touch controls.
- Smooth, warm sound via iPhone. SBC only, but sounds surprisingly good on an iPhone. A bit of graininess when using my Galaxy s8. Plays well with EQ via iPhone/Spotify with no distortion.
- No driver flex.
- Surprisingly, no sync issues with YouTube (wow), Amazon, or Netflix (tested only on iPhone Xs Max).
- Actually works well for calls. I was told I sound loud, clear, with only a hint of reverb. Nice.
- For those of you that enjoy blowing your eardrums out, they get very loud.

CONS
- No AAC or aptX.
- Not case friendly with most other eartips. Case will only accept low profile tips, similar to the kind I put on my T5 a few pages back.
- Annoying beep in the right earpiece when changing tracks or answering a call.
- Sound is too warm out of the box. There are some that may enjoy the default sound, but I think most would prefer to EQ. If you can't or don't want to EQ, you may want to pass if you're not a fan of a warm, laid back signature.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #10,408 of 62,307
The Bose Soundwear looks like it's been discounted 50% off pretty much everywhere at $149. Not a bad deal. A few trials with it were actually quite satisfying for what it was. I'm tempted to grab one for TV, movies, etc.

Yeah, the sale was from Bose themselves, so it also covered all Bose dealers.

As far as TV/movies, I actually started using it for that too. It is zero latency, with lips synced exactly with the videos. I'm also using them for phone calls in the car. Even on the highway at speed, callers say I sound crystal clear and I can hear them perfectly too.

BTW, I am by no means a Bose fanboy. I think their stuff is overpriced to the moon and overhyped. I own zero Bose products, although in the 90s I had some 301 speakers. I am just impressed by the Soundwear, for the niche it occupies. I am not alone either - Tyll was extremely impressed by it as well, and has a significant amount of information on it on InnerFidelity. He even dissected his just to try and learn it's secrets.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #10,410 of 62,307
Yeah, the sale was from Bose themselves, so it also covered all Bose dealers.

As far as TV/movies, I actually started using it for that too. It is zero latency, with lips synced exactly with the videos. I'm also using them for phone calls in the car. Even on the highway at speed, callers say I sound crystal clear and I can hear them perfectly too.

BTW, I am by no means a Bose fanboy. I think their stuff is overpriced to the moon and overhyped. I own zero Bose products, although in the 90s I had some 301 speakers. I am just impressed by the Soundwear, for the niche it occupies. I am not alone either - Tyll was extremely impressed by it as well, and has a significant amount of information on it on InnerFidelity. He even dissected his just to try and learn it's secrets.
I was impressed by how little someone nearby could (or couldn't) hear. Never actually thought about the call aspect. I may have to grab one and walk around the office like a big shot and look down on all those "regular workers" with their corded, stock earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back