Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #7,352 of 62,801
Thanks to @actorlife, I have both the Anbes 359 and Syllable 101. Following are my first thoughts:
1. I prefer the Syllable sound for most music. The soundstage is about the same as my Ety 4P and 4XR, so not great. The Anbes has better soundstage but even with that, I still prefer the Syllable.
2. Whilst I can get AptX on my Mac, it doesn't work on my Android where whatever I do it ends up at AAC. I'm going to dig a bit deeper to find out why, but the Syllable does definitely tell Android it has AptX...
3. AptX uses significantly more power than AAC on the Syllable. I'd guess somewhere around 20-25%. I don't think there's that much difference that it warrants the power suck so now force the Mac to AAC for it.
4. Agree with the comments on the Syllable Tips, though don't buy the Spinfit CP240s as they are just too big for the case unless you use an elastic band to close it.
5. I find the Anbes slightly more comfortable, prefer the shape and the stock tips work for me.
6. I prefer the Anbes for the podcasts I listen to.
7. The Anbes case is lighter, more fun and more convenient for me than the Syllable. OTOH the Syllable case is friendlier to different tips, as even the stock Anbes large tips occasionally cause the phones to not connect with the case properly.
8. The battery life of the Syllable is so good that I just keep them out and connected. The Anbes is good enough though and the battery in the case is good enough as well. The Syllables are just way better on battery life of the phones and case which means they will likely last me longer.
9. Call Quality. I have used both of them to call a lot since that's a big part of my job. Anbes in a quiet environment is clearer but the sensitivity to noise to greater as it picks up almost any noise around you including even your breathing sometimes. The Syllables in a quiet environment sound acceptable, aren't anywhere near so sensitive so you need to speak louder, but can work in a car and with some wind, which the Anbes can't. Neither work acceptably when walking by a busy suburban street: The Anbes picking up everything around, whilst the Syllable's try and suppress the background sound but also sometimes suppress your voice too. At home it is the Anbes, outside it's the Syllables, but there are lots of places outside and inside where neither are really acceptable to me.
10. On my Android phone I use volume at about 40% with the Syllable, whilst on my iPhone 8 it is about 2-3 notches from minimum (so maybe 15%?). It is more with the Anbes.
11. I prefer the USB-C that the Anbes uses though you can't power it directly from a USB-C PD charger, you need a USB-A to C cable, which isn't a problem for me.
12. If I compare to my AirPods v1, I prefer to use either the Anbes or Syllable, as both are as convenient and I couldn't really live with the fit and outside noise the AirPods let in.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #7,354 of 62,801
That’s how I charge mine. The nice thing is that I no longer have to worry about pushing the micro USB plug into the shell.

I use 2 separate magnetic cables, and plug them into an old USB hub.

One of these days I’m gonna cut the cable apart and make a splitter cable like the stock one. But for now the hub gets the job done.

which type of magnetic charger do you use? can you post a picture of it on the BT20?

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #7,355 of 62,801
Jun 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #7,356 of 62,801
which type of magnetic charger do you use? can you post a picture of it on the BT20?

I don’t have my BT20 currently. I lent it to my brother as he’s thinking of buying one. I’ll post a picture when I get it back. It might be a few weeks though.

As far as the cable, I’m using the PZOZ 90 degree one.

76DD8629-5947-4BA2-90BE-3247A159C2D9.jpeg

The reason why I like the 90 degree ones is that they don’t pull out the little charge piece when you unplug it.

8527BBD1-D7C0-422D-9FD9-CCBCF64E64AD.jpeg

I used to have a different brand for my phone (called X-something, or something-X), and because of the magnet usually when I would unplug it post charging the adapter piece would pull out of the phone too. So I used to unplug it by using a perpendicular motion to get the magnet to release but not pull out the piece. You can see an example of the perpendicular unplugging motion here:

FB0155BB-527A-4DF4-B9CF-CAE8E91A2B56.jpeg

As far as a photo, it looks just like this (picture the BT20 instead of the phone):

5E8DB00D-D150-41D2-80B9-A52CFE76686B.jpeg

The little adapter piece is very small, and you can barely see it when it’s installed. It is silver though (be the black BT20 body). You could hit it with a light coat of black spray paint if you wanted, but I don’t care.

Here’s the dimensions of the little piece, so you can get an idea of the size of the adapter:

69D5375B-912A-4A68-AD7B-3B26DC589160.jpeg

I will also mention that some of the magnetic cables are round instead of rectangular, but I would think those would be more noticeable when installed on the BT20.

Another cool thing about the PZOZ is that an optional case is available for the little adapters. They are easily misplaced, so the case is nice to store them in. The cable can also be used with multiple types (such as lightning and microusb), so the case could be used to carry one of each so you always had what you’d need.

2A0A1BE8-0C34-4559-93F5-ABA1F1E64F2F.jpeg

I’ll also mentioned that I wish I had got the red one, because it has an LED light that shows you it’s connected and charging. The black one didn’t come with the built in LED.

04681854-AEC7-4CF3-9BB3-F556F8B561D4.jpeg

Finally, as far as cost, you can buy just the little adapter pieces. Since you need 2 pieces to charge the BT20, that saves you $$.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #7,357 of 62,801
I don’t have my BT20 currently. I lent it to my brother as he’s thinking of buying one. I’ll post a picture when I get it back. It might be a few weeks though.

As far as the cable, I’m using the PZOZ 90 degree one.

The reason why I like the 90 degree ones is that they don’t pull out the little charge piece when you unplug it.

I used to have a different brand for my phone (called X-something, or something-X), and because of the magnet usually when I would unplug it post charging the adapter piece would pull out of the phone too. So I used to unplug it by using a perpendicular motion to get the magnet to release but not pull out the piece. You can see an example of the perpendicular unplugging motion here:

As far as a photo, it looks just like this (picture the BT20 instead of the phone):

The little adapter piece is very small, and you can barely see it when it’s installed. It is silver though (be the black BT20 body). You could hit it with a light coat of black spray paint if you wanted, but I don’t care.

Here’s the dimensions of the little piece, so you can get an idea of the size of the adapter:

I will also mention that some of the magnetic cables are round instead of rectangular, but I would think those would be more noticeable when installed on the BT20.

Another cool thing about the PZOZ is that an optional case is available for the little adapters. They are easily misplaced, so the case is nice to store them in. The cable can also be used with multiple types (such as lightning and microusb), so the case could be used to carry one of each so you always had what you’d need.

I’ll also mentioned that I wish I had got the red one, because it has an LED light that shows you it’s connected and charging. The black one didn’t come with the built in LED.

Finally, as far as cost, you can buy just the little adapter pieces. Since you need 2 pieces to charge the BT20, that saves you $$.

nice! thanks for the detailed explanation! :ksc75smile:
i also browsing for the angled version because i want to make a glorified charging stand for the BT20, but I'm on the fence whether i choose the more flattened version like the ones you use or round one like this:

-961365466-947619637.jpg

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #7,358 of 62,801
What is the battery life like on the syllable? Is it 8-10hrs including case recharges or per recharge?
I got about 7hrs battery with 50-70 percent volume.

Jun 6, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #7,359 of 62,801
No such problems with the syllable for me. I don't have an issue with the stock tips either. The thing is they open up significantly after burn in. I wouldn't try to change anything or evaluate them until.at least 100hrs of playing.
Thanks I will give them time. They are good but like I said the clarity is a issue for me. Since my Cayin N3 has aptx I had better expectations.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #7,360 of 62,801
On the iPhone, at the low volume I use, playing AAC, I seem to get somewhere around nearly 9. If I use APTX on Android it is somewhere around 7.5, perhaps less. It is difficult to tell as I rarely have pure music all that time, and 9 hours continuous is really difficult for me. I haven't managed to cycle the battery case yet so can't say for sure, at the moment it looks like at least 3 whole charges but probably more.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #7,361 of 62,801
No stereo problem with syllable and lg g7 here. The soundstage is narrower than mavins, but I have no problem with the sound. Little boomy maybe, but 30$ for apt-x and qualcomm qcc3020..no brainer.

They fit fine, and case and buds take selection of eartips.
I wonder what the issue is with my phone and Syllable? Everything I've thrown at it works(my android box, firestick, Cayin N3, etc.), but not on those apps on my phone. It's so weird that the call was Stereo and not working on the left side when watching YouTube. I'm gonna contact the seller to see if he has a resolution. I don't want to return them cause even with the issues they are good.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #7,362 of 62,801
On the iPhone, at the low volume I use, playing AAC, I seem to get somewhere around nearly 9. If I use APTX on Android it is somewhere around 7.5, perhaps less. It is difficult to tell as I rarely have pure music all that time, and 9 hours continuous is really difficult for me. I haven't managed to cycle the battery case yet so can't say for sure, at the moment it looks like at least 3 whole charges but probably more.
I'm gonna try them without aptx and see if the battery life is longer. My Cayin/Hidizs are the only ones with aptx.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #7,363 of 62,801
I wonder what the issue is with my phone and Syllable? Everything I've thrown at it works(my android box, firestick, Cayin N3, etc.), but not on those apps on my phone. It's so weird that the call was Stereo and not working on the left side when watching YouTube. I'm gonna contact the seller to see if he has a resolution. I don't want to return them cause even with the issues they are good.

what phone? Sure its not set to mono mode?

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #7,364 of 62,801
I wish Bose would get HiRes Bluetooth organised.

I love their StayHear ear tips - they (or custom molds) are the only thing that can keep earbuds / iem's in my ears. (short of using a hammer & duct tape - I have tried em all)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #7,365 of 62,801
@actorlife
Any reason to go for the Syllables over the Anbes?
No the Anbes 359 has Better instrument separation, Great bass and not boomy, Crystal clear treble without being fatiguing and a big plus for me large soundstage, which I love with music, audio books and movies. To be honest it's my favorite sound sig on my most of my headphones. If you've got/heard the Sivga SV007 you'll love the Anbes sound sig. This is my humble opinion only and I know some people may prefer the roll off treble and no soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back