Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #4,501 of 62,423
I'm curious if AptX codec is better than AAC in Air-X. Past reviews with ACC seems not that impressive. Have you tried them with AAC?

Haven't tried them with AAC yet as my phone defaults to AptX. I'll give it a shot when I have some time and report back.

You have peaked my interest. $129 isn't exactly cheap for these. Can you elaborate abit on SQ. Have you compared them to Jabra, Bose or MTW?

Sure. I've owned the Senn MTW, Jabra 65t, B&O E8, Audio Technica CKR7TW, Bose SoundSport Free. Unfortunately none of those I owned at the same time as the Mavin Air-X, but the memory of all of those units is fairly fresh in my mind except for the E8 (which I returned within a day because my units sounded terrible), but take that with a grain of salt. I'm not going to mention the B&O and Audio Technica much as they're just not worth buying from my experience (the caveat being that a lot of people seem to love the E8 and there are reports of variability in sound quality).

The Mavins are probably closest to the Bose in sound signature: a downward-sloping frequency response that's mostly neutral with a tastefully elevated bass. I expect the Air-X closely align with the Harman curve in terms of frequency response, perhaps with a tad more bass. There are no obvious jarring peaks or troughs in the frequency response like there are with the Jabra 65t's ridiculous treble spike (unsurprisingly coincident with a large rise in distortion) or the entirety of the E8's bizarre frequency response. The Air-X feels natural to me in how it presents music, but keep in mind it seems to nail my personal preferred sound signature. While the MTW are also quite good, I find their sound signature to be much more aggressive, particularly in bass and treble, and on the forward side. The MTW I liked but never was able to truly sink into the music and let it carry me away like I am with the Air-X. The Mavins are more laid back in comparison, but aren't laid back in absolute terms.

In terms of other sound technicalities, the Bose have the largest soundstage since they don't actually insert into the ear canal, with the MTW in second and the Mavin in third in size of soundstage. I'd argue the MTW and Mavin have the best layering, separation and imaging, with the Bose not far behind from memory. The Air-X also sound very clean, clear and airy with excellent detail. They just sound "open" for lack of a better term and have a tonality and timbre that is "just right", not thick or thin. The Jabras in general sounded muffled with a thick tonality and an oddly thin and hashy treble, and they sound intimate and mid-forward and are lacking in clarity, soundstage and imaging. They're by far the worst in terms of SQ compared to the Mavin, Bose and Sennheiser.

I think what really struck me was how resolving the Mavin can be. I'd argue these provide the best detail of any TW model I've heard, rivaling even decent wired IEMs. This is the first time I've actually been impressed with the level and quality of detail in any TW IEM, as the Bose and Sennheiser seemed to be a bit lacking in terms of ultimate resolution in comparison, although they're still quite good compared in this regard compared to the rest of the TW space. This is most noticeable with inner detail like instrument and vocal textures, as well as the recording space. This is true resolution and not just juiced up treble or a thinner tonality creating a false sense of detail. As a result, I listened for 4 hours in a row yesterday without any fatigue, just a full involvement in the music.

The big downsides to the Mavin are mostly feature-specific and not related to the sound quality. There is a bit of a noise floor, with some minor hiss at the beginning of tracks, and a very faint "electronic" noise when they're on. When music is playing this isn't an issue, however, but they're not as quiet as the MTW or Bose, and probably on par with the Jabras. It's a little bit of a bummer that it doesn't have an app or adjustable EQ (although I don't have need for one in this case), and it doesn't appear the firmware can be updated OTA by the user as a result. However, the sound quality is excellent and the battery life seems to be living up to the billing although I can't test that entirely as I don't have time to let them play for 10 hours straight. Connectivity has also been rock solid, although it sounds like no phones support Qualcomm's TrueWireless Stereo Plus yet, which these can utilize.

I'm trying to temper these impressions so as not to sound overly enthusiastic about the Mavin, but they're pretty spot-on in terms of hitting my personal sweet spot for sound preferences. I don't think these would offer enough bass quantity and slam for hardcore bassheads, and probably not enough excitement for people who like an aggressive V-shaped signature. But for those of us who like a Harman curve-like response, I don't know that you could do better in the TW space, especially when you consider the feature set, battery life and connectivity.

Oh, on a random note: it does annoy me that the LEDs on each earpiece are on the outside so the intermittent blinking is visible to everyone around you while you're wearing them, which feels dorky. The MTW I thought had the best design where they had LEDs facing inside, so they were hidden when wearing them.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #4,503 of 62,423
Haven't tried them with AAC yet as my phone defaults to AptX. I'll give it a shot when I have some time and report back.

Sure. I've owned the Senn MTW, Jabra 65t, B&O E8, Audio Technica CKR7TW, Bose SoundSport Free. Unfortunately none of those I owned at the same time as the Mavin Air-X, but the memory of all of those units is fairly fresh in my mind except for the E8 (which I returned within a day because my units sounded terrible), but take that with a grain of salt. I'm not going to mention the B&O and Audio Technica much as they're just not worth buying from my experience (the caveat being that a lot of people seem to love the E8 and there are reports of variability in sound quality).

The Mavins are probably closest to the Bose in sound signature: a downward-sloping frequency response that's mostly neutral with a tastefully elevated bass. I expect the Air-X closely align with the Harman curve in terms of frequency response. There are no obvious jarring peaks or troughs in the frequency response like there are with the Jabra 65t's ridiculous treble spike (unsurprisingly coincident with a large rise in distortion) or the entirety of the E8's bizarre frequency response. The Air-X feels natural to me in how it presents music, but keep in mind it seems to nail my personal preferred sound signature. While the MTW are also quite good, I find their sound signature to be much more aggressive, particularly in bass and treble, and on the forward side. The MTW I liked but never was able to truly sink into the music and let it carry me away like I am with the Air-X. The Mavins are more laid back in comparison, but aren't laid back in absolute terms.

In terms of other sound technicalities, the Bose have the largest soundstage since they don't actually insert into the ear canal, but the Mavins and MTW probably tie for second in size of soundstage. I'd argue the MTW and Mavin have the best layering, separation and imaging, with the Bose not far behind. The Air-X also sound very clean, clear and airy with excellent detail. They just sound "open" for lack of a better term and have a tonality and timbre that is "just right", not thick or thin. The Jabras in general sounded muffled with a thick tonality, and they sound intimate and mid-forward and are lacking in clarity, soundstage and imaging. They're by far the worst in terms of SQ compared to the Mavin, Bose and Sennheiser.

I think what really struck me was how resolving the Mavin can be. I'd argue these provide the best detail of any TW model I've heard, rivaling even decent wired IEMs. This is the first time I've actually been impressed with the level and quality of detail in any TW IEM, as the Bose and Sennheiser seemed to be a bit lacking in terms of ultimate resolution in comparison, although they're still quite good compared in this regard compared to the rest of the TW space. This is most noticeable with inner detail like instrument and vocal textures, as well as the recording space. This is true resolution and not just juiced up treble or a thinner tonality creating a false sense of detail. As a result, I listened for 4 hours in a row yesterday without any fatigue, just a full involvement in the music.

The big downsides to the Mavin are mostly feature-specific and not related to the sound quality. There is a bit of a noise floor, with some minor hiss at the beginning of tracks, and a very faint "electronic" noise when they're on. When music is playing this isn't an issue, however, but they're not as quiet as the MTW or Bose, and probably on par with the Jabras. It's a little bit of a bummer that it doesn't have an app or adjustable EQ (although I don't have need for one in this case), and it doesn't appear the firmware can be updated OTA by the user as a result. However, the sound quality is excellent and the battery life seems to be living up to the billing although I can't test that entirely as I don't have time to let them play for 10 hours straight. Connectivity has also been rock solid, although it sounds like no phones support Qualcomm's TrueWireless Stereo Plus yet, which these can utilize.

I'm trying to temper these impressions so as not to sound overly enthusiastic about the Mavin, but they're pretty spot-on in terms of hitting my personal sweet spot for sound preferences. I don't think these would offer enough bass quantity and slam for bassheads, and probably not enough excitement for people who like an aggressive V-shaped signature. But for those of us who like a Harman curve-like response, I don't know that you could do better in the TW space, especially when you consider the feature set, battery life and connectivity.

Oh, on a random note: it does annoy me that the LEDs on each earpiece are on the outside so the intermittent blinking is visible to everyone around you while you're wearing them, which feels dorky. The MTW I thought had the best design where they had LEDs facing inside, so they were hidden when wearing them.
Great review! They're available now on Amazon. Just ordered a pair to see if they can really rival MW07 in SQ. Even they sound as good as earin M2, for their great batter life I'm happy enough to keep them for long-time listening, like in office or on plane.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4,505 of 62,423

The Mavins are probably closest to the Bose in sound signature: a downward-sloping frequency response that's mostly neutral with a tastefully elevated bass. I expect the Air-X closely align with the Harman curve in terms of frequency response. There are no obvious jarring peaks or troughs in the frequency response like there are with the Jabra 65t's ridiculous treble spike (unsurprisingly coincident with a large rise in distortion) or the entirety of the E8's bizarre frequency response. The Air-X feels natural to me in how it presents music, but keep in mind it seems to nail my personal preferred sound signature. While the MTW are also quite good, I find their sound signature to be much more aggressive, particularly in bass and treble, and on the forward side. The MTW I liked but never was able to truly sink into the music and let it carry me away like I am with the Air-X. The Mavins are more laid back in comparison, but aren't laid back in absolute terms.

In terms of other sound technicalities, the Bose have the largest soundstage since they don't actually insert into the ear canal, but the Mavins and MTW probably tie for second in size of soundstage. I'd argue the MTW and Mavin have the best layering, separation and imaging, with the Bose not far behind. The Air-X also sound very clean, clear and airy with excellent detail. They just sound "open" for lack of a better term and have a tonality and timbre that is "just right", not thick or thin. The Jabras in general sounded muffled with a thick tonality, and they sound intimate and mid-forward and are lacking in clarity, soundstage and imaging. They're by far the worst in terms of SQ compared to the Mavin, Bose and Sennheiser.

I'm trying to temper these impressions so as not to sound overly enthusiastic about the Mavin, but they're pretty spot-on in terms of hitting my personal sweet spot for sound preferences. I don't think these would offer enough bass quantity and slam for bassheads, and probably not enough excitement for people who like an aggressive V-shaped signature. But for those of us who like a Harman curve-like response, I don't know that you could do better in the TW space, especially when you consider the feature set, battery life and connectivity.

This really makes me interested in them, especially with their amazing battery life. I'm really curious how the upcoming Mavin Air-XN, or AirX-NC (I've seen both names) will fare in terms of battery life. If they have the same sound you're describing, they might be perfect airplane earbuds, with some foam tips for passive isolation and ANC for the rest.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #4,506 of 62,423
Mavin advertises the Air-X as having an "extra-bass" speaker, and I'm sure I read many reviews which stated they were bass heavy.

Did you use different eartips?

Nope, just the stock tips so far, although I ordered some Comply foam tips to see how they fit.

Hmmm... I don't find them extremely bass heavy, but it's somewhat song dependent. There's definitely more bass than absolute neutral. I don't find them significantly bassier than the Jabra Elite 65t, but slightly less than the MTW perhaps. Maybe slightly more than the Bose? These will sound very bass-heavy if you're using to something like the DITA The Truth wired IEMs which might be the brightest IEM I've owned.

I just compared them directly to a pair of KZ ATE I keep around for watching movies and using the entertainment systems on long flights. The KZs are bassier, and it's a thicker, tubbier bass hump that comes right up to the mids. The Mavins have a more isolated bass hump that doesn't extend as far into the lower mids, and it's more articulate and tighter. There's more prominent treble on the Mavins, and the mids are more forward.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #4,507 of 62,423
I would order the mavin air-x but it was a mission to find a link to their website. I did see they are on amazon too, but the item is not in stock yet. I hope they come to europe through some disti, cuz I like the look of them, not visually, they look kinda awkward, but they sound decent, figuratively

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #4,508 of 62,423
I got impatient waiting for the Grey Terrazzo and picked a pair of the turtoiseshell today. Still having issues with the right side sealing but I places am order for the Symbio tips to see if they help. Hopefully they do, if not the M2s are really spiking my interest.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #4,509 of 62,423
This really makes me interested in them, especially with their amazing battery life. I'm really curious how the upcoming Mavin Air-XN, or AirX-NC (I've seen both names) will fare in terms of battery life. If they have the same sound you're describing, they might be perfect airplane earbuds, with some foam tips for passive isolation and ANC for the rest.

I think you nailed it. I actually buy IEMs with airplane travel specifically in mind. I need halfway decent passive isolation (my ears don't like ANC for some reason) and battery life good enough for a coast-to-coast flight (5 hour minimum or thereabouts). What's crazy to me is how the Air-X all of a sudden blew away the typical 3-4 hour battery life we were used to from all the big-name models on the market. I figured the sound quality wouldn't live up to the billing just because nothing good comes without compromises, but I'm delighted by how much I'm enjoying these.

Great review! They're available now on Amazon. Just ordered a pair to see if they can really rival MW07 in SQ. Even they sound as good as earin M2, for their great batter life I'm happy enough to keep them for long-time listening, like in office or on plane.

Appreciate it! I hope you like them as much as I do and I'm REALLY looking forward to a comparison with the MW07 since that seems to be the consensus best SQ among several folks in this thread.

But.... I want to temper any expectations with a reminder that my impressions are just the opinion of some rando on the internet who might have wildly different hearing from your own. With that said, if I got this quality of sound in a wired IEM I'd be quite pleased.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,510 of 62,423
I would order the mavin air-x but it was a mission to find a link to their website. I did see they are on amazon too, but the item is not in stock yet. I hope they come to europe through some disti, cuz I like the look of them, not visually, they look kinda awkward, but they sound decent, figuratively

Yeah it wasn't the easiest ordering process which was frustrating. Their website does say they have a holiday sale going on right now that knocks 40 USD off the price (although you end up paying $30 in shipping). Looks like the last shipping day is 1/29 until after a 2-week holiday, which I'm assuming is Chinese New Year.

I do think the feel of the case and earbuds isn't the most premium experience. I bought the blue color and it's a glossy plastic that attracts fingerprints, but the earpieces and case feel sturdy enough to survive drops, and there was no obvious flex when I was swapping out tips and putting on the "sport stabilizers".

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4,511 of 62,423
Yeah it wasn't the easiest ordering process which was frustrating. Their website does say they have a holiday sale going on right now that knocks 40 USD off the price (although you end up paying $30 in shipping). Looks like the last shipping day is 1/29 until after a 2-week holiday, which I'm assuming is Chinese New Year.

I do think the feel of the case and earbuds isn't the most premium experience. I bought the blue color and it's a glossy plastic that attracts fingerprints, but the earpieces and case feel sturdy enough to survive drops, and there was no obvious flex when I was swapping out tips and putting on the "sport stabilizers".
Amazon will have them in stock on the 27 of this month. I might just wait, if I'm going to import them, better to do it through amazon i guess

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4,512 of 62,423
This from Qualcomm’s website

Premium listening with Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus
Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus is designed to deliver further performance improvements when a QCC5100 based device is used with a mobile phone based on the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 Mobile Platform. Consumers can enjoy a superior truly wireless listening experience and can benefit from:

• Help to reduce power consumption by up to an additional 10 percent, typically helping to deliver an extra hour of listening time before recharge is needed.
  • More evenly balanced power distribution between both earbuds resulting in longer playback time.
  • The elimination of cross-head Bluetooth transmission providing improved robustness of the signal to each ear.
  • Help to reduce latency because there is no primary/secondary role between buds, both are connected directly to the phone and then synchronized.
  • A simpler pairing experience when connecting the earbuds to the mobile device (because the earbuds are designed to connect as a stereo pair).

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #4,513 of 62,423
I think you nailed it. I actually buy IEMs with airplane travel specifically in mind. I need halfway decent passive isolation (my ears don't like ANC for some reason) and battery life good enough for a coast-to-coast flight (5 hour minimum or thereabouts). What's crazy to me is how the Air-X all of a sudden blew away the typical 3-4 hour battery life we were used to from all the big-name models on the market. I figured the sound quality wouldn't live up to the billing just because nothing good comes without compromises, but I'm delighted by how much I'm enjoying these.

But.... I want to temper any expectations with a reminder that my impressions are just the opinion of some rando on the internet who might have wildly different hearing from your own. With that said, if I got this quality of sound in a wired IEM I'd be quite pleased.

The reason they blow away the typical 3-4 hour battery life is due to the sheer size / bulk of them. They're a great deal thicker than any of the bigger name models, so there is space to fit a much larger battery. Many wouldn't mind this compromise though.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #4,514 of 62,423
The reason they blow away the typical 3-4 hour battery life is due to the sheer size / bulk of them. They're a great deal thicker than any of the bigger name models, so there is space to fit a much larger battery. Many wouldn't mind this compromise though.

Hmmm... I think these are really small by TW IEM standards, at least in my experience, but correct me if I'm wrong. Much smaller than the MTW and about the same size of the Jabra from what I remember. The only one I can think of might be the EARIN M2 but I haven't seen that unit in person. Are there others I'm missing?

Here are some pictures for comparison with other random objects. Keep in mind they have the rubberized sport stabilizers on.

UDtvhZx.jpg

bcdqapX.jpg

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,515 of 62,423
Ah I was wrong they have a smaller footprint than I thought. I think the design enables them to fit a much larger battery - do you know the mAh?

They look more comfortable than the MW07 and MTW, I may actually order a pair. What are the touch controls like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back