Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 24, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #4,516 of 62,071
Yes, they fit in the case, even better than the sponge. But I'm still unlucky to let the right earbud stay in my ear securely, unless with the fin. I may have to give them up.
Sorry to hear that, well you will have tried everything !

It's unrelated but am I the only one still using the WF-1000x here ? In spite of their shortcomings (battery life, connection issues of the right earbud in "hostile" areas) I keep coming back to them. They just have that deep bass (I've activated the +7 bass setting) that just grabs me !

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,517 of 62,071
Ah I was wrong they have a smaller footprint than I thought. I think the design enables them to fit a much larger battery - do you know the mAh?

They look more comfortable than the MW07 and MTW, I may actually order a pair. What are the touch controls like?
The review I read says they are large and huge in your ear canal. That stopped me from buying. I can’t stand large iems. I have no issues with MTW and MW07. Neither are large in your ears.

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #4,518 of 62,071
Ah I was wrong they have a smaller footprint than I thought. I think the design enables them to fit a much larger battery - do you know the mAh?

They look more comfortable than the MW07 and MTW, I may actually order a pair. What are the touch controls like?

The touch controls are... just OK. They're easy to figure out, but they're physical buttons and are a little too hard to press. You end up pushing it the earpiece in your ear a bit. It's a bit harder to push than the Jabra, which I thought had a softer actuation.

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #4,522 of 62,071
BTW, I just received the airpods sleeves and tried them on the Sabbat X12 pro. I need to cut a little bit on the bottom to make a perfect fit, but it's an easy job. They add a bit more friction and comfort to me. Still not enough for working out, though.

Will you still be able to fit them in the case though ? I no longer wear the X12 by tucking them behind the ridge in the back of my ear so I was able to put the spongy "covers" and they really help with comfort, no more contact "harsh" plastic. These are really great if you don't need isolation and are perfect for running or bike riding.

i also use that airpod silicone cover. adds more friction to the ears and slightly warms up the sound by adding a bit midbass, but not to the point making it sound different/bad. also the plus side it can still be used inside the charging case. it also solve the finicky charging with my older sabbat (charging pins become unaligned when i close the case cover, so i have to charge them in open lid position). with the silicone sleeve, now it can charge fine with the lid closed)

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #4,524 of 62,071
I have the Mavins, the MTWs and the Sabbat E12 and they are all fantastic. This new batch of true wireless earphones represents a signficant leap forward from last year’s offerings (the Jabra, the Bose, the E8).

The MTWs are probably my favorites, sound wise — but not by much (and not by 2-3x, which is the cost differential). Their sound is engaging and full, the dual microphones seem very good for outgoing sound on calls, and I haven’t had the microphone issue others have noted (which will apparently be fixed in an upcoming firmware update anyway). They also have a transparency feature, which is useful. I also like the touch controls, which makes it relatively easy to switch paired devices. The four hour battery life is a bummer, however. I haven’t yet suffered from the battery drain issue that others have complained about — but I tend to plug in the case when not in use.

The Sabbat’s have an amazingly full sound and a really terrific lower end. It’s a really fun sound. Their literature says that Sabbat tried to replicate the Sennheiser sound curve, and I think they did a very good job of that. They’re not quite as detailed as the MTWs, but their ridiculously good bass makes them more fun to listen to at times (particularly in loud environments like the NYC subway). They also have four microphones (like the Jabra) for great outgoing call clarity. The only downside I’ve experienced with the Sabbats is an occasional right or left dropout while walking around NYC streets. That’s a bummer, because if the connection was more reliable the Sabbat’s might be my favorite of the three models. They also purport to have a six to eight hour battery life, which is terrific. My understanding is that these are using a new Realtek chipset that gets battery life almost comparable to the QCC3026. I haven’t had time to confirm the battery life, but based on partial usage it seems about right. (For those who haven’t noticed the Sabbat E12’s, they look almost exactly like the X12’s, but with a silicone tip rather than a hard Air Pod like tip that the X12’s have.). The Sabbats are also the most comfortable of the bunch — I have honestly forgotten they were in my ears.

The Mavin’s also have terrific sound, albeit a very different sound signature than the Sabbats — more detail, less (but good) bass — generally, a more neutral and accurate sound than the Sabbats, but perhaps not as fun. Their microphones seems fine, but I haven’t had an opportunity to use these much for calls. My understanding is that the Mavins have another dual mic setup with the advanced noise cancelling provided by the QCC3026 chip. The connectivity and range are both terrific. (Both the MTW and the Mavin are Class 1 Bluetooth devices, so they get up to 3x the range of most Bluetooth headphones, which are Class 2.). I don’t think I’ve had a single drop-out with these. The purported battery life is, of course, crazy, stupid — 10 hours, with another 40 hours in the case. It’s a paradigm changer, and I’d be comfortable bringing them along on a several day trip without worrying about a charging cable. (For some reason, the Mavin’s still use micro USB, while the others are USB-C — but I’m not sure I care too much about that.)

Oh, I also bought the Mpow T5’s, another new earphone that uses the QCC3026 SOC. They have a purported seven hour battery life, and they sound pretty darn good for a $60 earphone — but they don’t quite compete, sound wise, with the three other models above. I’ve also had some connection dropouts with the T5’s — not many, but enough to annoy. They’re also IPX7, so I’ve actually worn them in the shower, which is fun. (The others are all IPX4 or IPX5, I think.)

One general frustration with all these earphones is the loss of multipoint connectivity — so, several steps forward and at least one step back in that regard. Only the MTW’s make it relatively easy to switch input devices (from my iPhone to a Mac, for example) while using them. I wish all Bluetooth earphones used an app like Bose’s that makes switching input devices easy. I also had to do a lot of tip-rolling with each of these ‘phones to get the right fit, because I apparently have freakishly large ears. Only the T5’s had a case that didn’t permit larger tips — which is a design choice that really annoys me.

In summary, it feels to me like truly wireless earphones have turned a corner this year, with better sound, better battery life, better mics — and there are several decent options (and probably more to come). There are still a few rough edges, but maybe those edges will be smoothed over by CES 2020.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #4,525 of 62,071
I wish all Bluetooth earphones used an app like Bose’s that makes switching input devices easy.
Just to clarify you mean hitting the single button on left-ear piece and not by using an app right? If so, I absolutely agree, other than ones that have multipoint (which limits it to two devices max), with the Bose and the left button, you can easily cycle through the seven remembered devices.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #4,526 of 62,071
The Sabbat’s have an amazingly full sound and a really terrific lower end. It’s a really fun sound. Their literature says that Sabbat tried to replicate the Sennheiser sound curve, and I think they did a very good job of that. They’re not quite as detailed as the MTWs, but their ridiculously good bass makes them more fun to listen to at times (particularly in loud environments like the NYC subway). They also have four microphones (like the Jabra) for great outgoing call clarity. The only downside I’ve experienced with the Sabbats is an occasional right or left dropout while walking around NYC streets. That’s a bummer, because if the connection was more reliable the Sabbat’s might be my favorite of the three models. They also purport to have a six to eight hour battery life, which is terrific. My understanding is that these are using a new Realtek chipset that gets battery life almost comparable to the QCC3026. I haven’t had time to confirm the battery life, but based on partial usage it seems about right. (For those who haven’t noticed the Sabbat E12’s, they look almost exactly like the X12’s, but with a silicone tip rather than a hard Air Pod like tip that the X12’s have.). The Sabbats are also the most comfortable of the bunch — I have honestly forgotten they were in my ears.

It's been so hard to find reviews of the E12 so thank you so much for this!

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #4,528 of 62,071
Just to clarify you mean hitting the single button on left-ear piece and not by using an app right? If so, I absolutely agree, other than ones that have multipoint (which limits it to two devices max), with the Bose and the left button, you can easily cycle through the seven remembered devices.
If I recall correctly, the Bose QC35 app gives you an easy way to specify what paired device you wanted to connect to, which I thought was very handy. There may also be a way to cycle through paired devices using a button on the headphones, but I don't think I've ever used that.

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #4,530 of 62,071
some size comparison with the mavins. As mentioned they may miss the premium feel like some of the big names, but the sound is good. I did not expect much from them, that why I probably was more surprised. Other thing is support seems very random with mavins, after a few questions they did upgrade their manual and send it to me.

What I miss is some ambient feature, so use the 65t when thats needed.

ccc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back