Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,472 of 62,434
hey guys, believe it or not I don't have a measuring tape, I need to know the bore size for the earin m-2, I'm thinking of trying those symbio mandarinE tips. Anyone can clue me in on the bore size.

NVM: I checked the spinfits i got for them and its 3.8mm for anyone else that wants to know.
I got some Symbio W and they fit M2 perfectly.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,473 of 62,434
Whats the average price for the M2s? Ive seen them from $250 to $450. Ive been watching reviews on these and they seem like a good BT.

A lot of us got them for the $175 after Christmas sale price. I assume they will drop to that level or lower again in the near- to mid-term. Right now they're $250 but black is OOS.

I personally think the black Earins with the case for the white ones (raw aluminium color) would sell well. I just think the plain aluminum case looks cooler.

I got the white and they're more noticeable when worn - which is generally a good thing when people talk to you since the're so small.

@WesennTony says they're a step down SQ wise from the MW07, which makes sense because they're also a step down from the MTW. But I think they're far better than the IconX or the Jabras, so at $175 they're worth it. Agree that at $249, not so much.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4,476 of 62,434
So, my Mavin Air-X arrived today. I returned the Sennheiser MTW a few days ago and sold my Jabra Elite 65t, so this is my only TW pair right now.

I bought directly from Mavin's website, which was a little janky of a process (the site itself feels very Chi-Fi-ish and not very professional). I hope they find a better distribution network in the US. It took them roughly 6 days total to ship (and I also emailed their sales department after a few days as they hadn't shipped out on Friday as the order confirmation page had promised), but the shipping itself was very quick (FedEx International Priority) and took only 2 days from Taiwan upon receiving my tracking number.

The packaging is compact but feels decently high-quality. The case is slightly larger than an AirPods case, so about the size of a pack of dental floss except a bit thicker. It's made of glossy plastic so it's not the most attractive or luxurious item, but it feels sturdy and the magnetic lid is satisfyingly tight. The lid opens easily by tilting it back, but it is easily to do with 2 hands.

I'm only a few songs in but WOW, these sound really good. The frequency response is mostly neutral, clean and natural. There's a tasteful bass lift which gives the Air-X some toe-tapping ability but everything else feels pretty neutral across the spectrum with well-defined mids and a sparkly treble. There is no obvious audible distortion or grain, although they're not as clean in absolute terms as the Sennheiser MTW or Bose SoundSport Free, and the resolution is on par the better TW sets I've heard, albeit not the absolute best. I actually prefer the SQ of these to the MTW, which were a tad on the aggressive side for my taste. The only real downside to the sound quality is the fact that there's some slight hiss in quieter songs. It's not enough to bother me when the music is playing, but it's there. EDIT: Hmmm... I'm trying some better-recorded tracks and actually don't notice as much hiss as earlier. Perhaps I was hearing the noise floor from the recordings themselves when listening earlier?

I haven't had them long enough to test battery life claims, but if they're anywhere near the quoted specs they're going to have more than enough juice to keep me happy.

My initial impression (and keep in mind this is still early) is that these are among the best TW IEMs available today. They're not the absolute best in terms of sound quality, but they're not far off. I'm excited to see what living with them is like.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #4,477 of 62,434
I have a pair of Sennheiser MTW with power drain issues. Bought them directly with Sennheiser 3 weeks ago. Today service reply from Sennheiser that this is due to a known firmware bug and that update to fix this will be released soon. SQ is excellent, with more Bass in comparison with the Beoplay E8 that sound more neutral.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4,478 of 62,434
@hifi80sman - I'll c ur Comexion and raise you a CUFOK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFHJ6MX - The only reason I got these aside from the IPX7 is the seller claimed it had Airoha AB1526P with AAC but upon receiving it, I'm not able to connect in AAC. In hind-sight, it's nearly identical to the Comexion aside from the better WR rating and the charging case that can also act as a portable USB charger.

Sadly it was the same story with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9P6CLQ (no AAC either despite seller claims). Really wish these guys would get a grip on their product specs. I wonder if somehow they didn't enable it (I don't see why they wouldn't given it's a selling point) or if perhaps there may be a bait-n-switch with the OEM's promising the 1526B but utilizing a cheaper chipset instead. The connection isn't great with this one; a simple test I always do right after getting a TWE is to just cup my hands over each one while worn to see if the signal cuts out between them. If it does, it's USUALLY (though not always) a VERY good indicator I'll encounter connection issues as I did with the MPow T5's which failed that test badly. Not so with the Aermoo B3's which are rock solid connection-wise.

I'm done chasing... decided to give in and grab a MW07 just so I have a high-end reference point to qualify when I say something sounds good or bad.

P.S. Aside from the first, some other more interesting mfr names of TWEs I found on Amazon:
REFURBISHHOUSE <- while I'm all for getting discounts on refurb's, not really sure they realize this has a negative connotation for new products
G-WACK
Mebuyz
Tiamat < 80's D&D cartoon anyone?
Qjuxron - is the Q or the J silent?
ZFKJERS - Qjuxron? Not impressed! I'll see your double-consonants at the start and double that :)
I ended up ordering this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JF95846

It looks identical to a more expensive version here (both models noted as “i11) that the seller indicates has AAC but not aptX. 10 mm graphene drivers, BT 5. I haven’t received it yet, but it looks compelling. If they are as good as the claim to be for $25.99, I may return the MW07. Just kidding.

My hope is that they sound good without any major compromises that are common with budget sets.

Speaking of the Comexion, I’m actually listening to them right now and think they are very solid after EQ. I’m streaming Spotify (Extreme Quality), and using the in-app Spotify EQ over my iPhone, which oddly, I think works better than the Android EQ (I have an s8 as well). Even though they are only SBC, the sound is smooth, bass is textured, and the highs don’t sound “cheap”. They also feel quality built and have good battery life.

I think you’re right, they may just boxing glove the keyboard for Chi-Fi names, and in between, they’ll grab long names like “refurbished” or “telekinesis” and make that their company name. Get ready for the Telekinesis Moov T1.

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #4,479 of 62,434
Question for anyone that uses the Mavin Air-X with a TrueWireless Stereo Plus-capable phone connected:

I'm using a Google Pixel 3 XL, so I should be able to use TrueWireless Stereo Plus. I went through the phone pairing process where the Left earpiece connects first, then pops up a dialogue box asking to pair the Right earpiece. The pairing process seemed to work fine, but my phone only shows the L bud connected. Is this normal? Does that mean TrueWireless Stereo Plus is not working?

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #4,480 of 62,434
I have a pair of Sennheiser MTW with power drain issues. Bought them directly with Sennheiser 3 weeks ago. Today service reply from Sennheiser that this is due to a known firmware bug and that update to fix this will be released soon. SQ is excellent, with more Bass in comparison with the Beoplay E8 that sound more neutral.
I'm beginning to think these were rushed out for the holiday buying season and we're all just beta testing them.

Although to be fair the E8 had a pretty significant firmware update roughly six months into their lifespan.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #4,481 of 62,434
Question for anyone that uses the Mavin Air-X with a TrueWireless Stereo Plus-capable phone connected:

I'm using a Google Pixel 3 XL, so I should be able to use TrueWireless Stereo Plus. I went through the phone pairing process where the Left earpiece connects first, then pops up a dialogue box asking to pair the Right earpiece. The pairing process seemed to work fine, but my phone only shows the L bud connected. Is this normal? Does that mean TrueWireless Stereo Plus is not working?

Same thing on my lg g7, did think it was because im still waiting for pie. But that pixel should have android 9. Contacted qualcomm and they said
Our QCC3026 does support TrueWireless Plus (you can learn more at https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc3026) but it's up to each manufacturer on if or how they implement it in their products. We recommend you contact LG directly for any additional technical questions. We appreciate your interest in Qualcomm.

As of now I think the plus feature is just hype..

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #4,482 of 62,434
Symbio W vs Spinfit CP100 anybody???

I have the Spinfit CP100 with my M2, haven't tried the Symbio W. How do they compare?

Returning MW07, a poor fit just isn't something I can live with. It's a shame they don't fit me well. They sound great, perfect for bass-heavy music. A wide soundstage with good instrument separation.

However, I don't think the battery life, lack of an app, mirrored case (fingerprints and scratches) make it a better purchase compared to the MTW (If they weren't faulty). I prefer darker sounding headphones, so I'd go for the MTW if I had to pick between the two.

I'm incredibly happy with my earin M2 right now. With TW earphones comfort is of utmost importance since I'd only use them in the gym / shopping to block out the annoyances. The form factor and the size of the case make them feel truly special.

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #4,483 of 62,434
Symbio W vs Spinfit CP100 anybody???

I have the Spinfit CP100 with my M2, haven't tried the Symbio W. How do they compare?

I would say in terms of muffle/seal/bassy sound, Symbios are less so than comply and more so than Spinfits. They're like less comply-y complys. They isolate really well but they can also accentuate the low end. All else equal on a more bass-oriented headphone, I would go with Spinfits.

I have Spinfits on my M2 and my MTW.

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #4,484 of 62,434
Same thing on my lg g7, did think it was because im still waiting for pie. But that pixel should have android 9. Contacted qualcomm and they said
Our QCC3026 does support TrueWireless Plus (you can learn more at https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc3026) but it's up to each manufacturer on if or how they implement it in their products. We recommend you contact LG directly for any additional technical questions. We appreciate your interest in Qualcomm.

As of now I think the plus feature is just hype..

Yeah I'm running the latest Android release on my Pixel 3 XL. Hmmmm.

Y'know, I'm now wondering if despite only showing one earbud showing connected to my phone they actually are using TrueWireless Stereo Plus. I can take out one earbud and hold it several feet away from the other and still hear them both playing without any interruptions. Every TW using NFMI cuts out much sooner than that, so I think the Mavin Air-X is purely using bluetooth for both earpieces. It might just not show up as separate devices in the Android settings.

I sent an email to Mavin's sales support to check if this is expected behavior or not. Will report back when they respond.

BTW, these sound stupidly good. I couldn't be happier with the sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #4,485 of 62,434
Interested to hear your thoughts when you get 'em. The solar-power (TWEs in my 2nd link) are actually pretty good sounding and the touch controls are not super-sensitive resulting in less accidental invocations especially w/shower use. I might just end up keeping those.

I sent an email to Mavin's sales support to check if this is expected behavior or not. Will report back when they respond.

Interested to hear what Mavin has to say about this but I doubt you've invoked TWS+. The way I understand it is that each earbud will show as connected to the source thus neither one has to act as the master and you save a bit of battery this way. This would improve the connectivity vastly over NFMI intra-bud connections (you just can't beat the Tx power of a smartphone over the tiny antenna in those buds). The other benefit to TWS+ is that if it supports multi-point connection, then you can have both earbuds connected to two sources and use it seamlessly. Currently when one acts as a master, it is in fact connected to two devices (source and the other bud) thus multipoint is not possible. I suspect BT5 is the reason for your improved intra-bud connection experience.

Can you do a hand-cup test (just cover each ear bud with your hands completely, more so with the thicker part of your palm rather than your fingers) and see if connectivity drops out? The Mpow T5 which uses the same QCC3026 as in the Mavin failed this badly.

P.S. Could be a heckuva coincidence but the QCC3026 page (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc3026) as well as the entire QCC30XX product brief (https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qcc30xx-series-product-brief.pdf) are both currently inaccessible on Qualcomm's website. Wondering if in fact they goofed about the TWS+ feature and are updating the pages? ;o)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back