Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,442 of 63,208
This seems to be the case. I've been watching this thread for a long time and it seems that everything comes back to the Jabra. They may not be the best, but they seem to make most people happy. These seem like a baseline that people turn to until the next thing comes out. I'm super interested in the Sennheisers, but at that price point, I'd likely have to pass. For me, the decision is coming down to Jabras and the Samsun Gear Icon X, but with a heavy bias toward the Jabras from what I've read here.

I personally use the sp700n for the gym but the Jabra make a good launching-off point. Sorta like how one's impression of the HD650 makes a good indicator of where to go after that.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,443 of 63,208
Thanks for your replies. I have tried the BO E8 at my gym (someone was having it on). I found them very uncomfortable... and even the guy said, he would be replacing the buds. So is the the link for the senn's iem you are talking about?
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/momentum-truewireless

Any other suggestions?

if you got that much to spend and can wait a little, see how the Sennheiser and Audio Technica sound. i wouldn't jump in on the Jabras or E8s just yet. they might be the top pick for TWE atm but the SQ is still not there yet.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,444 of 63,208
Oct 23, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #1,446 of 63,208
Have you looked Earin M-2? They’re very small and stay in my ears when I’m on the treadmill. They have a 20% rebate until 24th Oct & free 14 day return. Worth a try imho.

I've tried the Earin M-2 for a few days. Overall pretty decent connection and sound quality, despite their diminutive size.

Sadly, the software / firmware has a very annoying bug that makes the earpieces lose gain and/or phase synch, which means that suddely one channel will start playing louder than the other and/or 180 degrees out of phase. One can get both earpieces back to correct gain/phase synch via the app, but it's a tedious procedure and therefore I've decided to return them.

However, if they fix this bug, I might buy them again in the future, since I loved pretty much everything else about them.

Just chiming in since I heard the M-2. Just listened a few minutes, but enough to say not great sound quality. Sounded muddy to me. Better options out there.

I had the exact same initial impression. Bass level is a bit elevated and highs are a bit subdued, so overall they don't sound all that clear at first listen.

But having used them in mobile surroundings, I must say that the tuning is actually pretty clever. Bass tends to get drowned out by noise, so the tasteful boost is very welcome. And whereas brighter IEMs tend to become thin and fatiguing in noisy surroundings, the Earins sound always pleasant and enjoyable, even at higher volume when you're out and about.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,447 of 63,208
Indeed, they look rather massive though and the molding doesn't seem to work for everyone based on reviews of their earplugs on Amazon...

I just got off a flight with the Jabra Sport Elite and the 65t and...3M Optime earmuffs. The JSE gave me better noise reduction using the stock L foam tips than the 65t with the stock L tips. The other problem is that my right ear isn't sealed as well as the left one with the 65t, not a huge deal in a quiet environment but quite noticeable there. I tried hard to find replacement tips in my stack yesterday but found nothing that sealed while preserving SQ, let alone fit in the case.

With the 3M earmuffs the rumbling was pretty much inaudible at the cost of some extra pressure of course!

I also had some TaoTronics ANC headphones and IEMs and the NR was somewhat similar as with the JSEs with the bonus of no ear pressure of course. As a side note the headphones did a better job than the IEMs since they provide very little passive isolation, by design apparently since the idea is to avoid ear canal pressure and make up for it with ANC. Not sure there are IEMs with ANC that don't work like that?

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,448 of 63,208
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,449 of 63,208
idk but i'm thinking for airplane use I would stick with headphones, I have used iem on a plane in the past not so good, train yes, plane is different. head phones work better, I have used bose, sony, plantronics headphones on planes, great success. maybe cabin pressure idk.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,450 of 63,208
I wonder when ultimate ears is gonna jump in the truewireless ring? Plantronics need to bring a newer truewireless into the market, they always make good stuff, the last one was half baked.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,451 of 63,208
I want a reasonably priced true wireless custom. I find noise isolation comparable to ANC with customs, and would want something I can get wet and beat around for the gym. Because I'm not risking anything expensive for workouts.

It's going to be a long long time before we get a good battery life one.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,452 of 63,208
What are you calling expensive? The highest end "gym" TWEs are less than $200 and the odds of getting high battery life and good SQ with a custom fit for less than that is really damn low.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,453 of 63,208
Yes no AAC or aptx per rha. Rbh sound makes ldac bt iems but reviews are mediocre on sound and ergonomics.

Source?

I know the packaging doesn't seem to mention any codecs, nor does the manual they include. But I've been using them and when streaming audio from my S9+ I can see AAC is being used by checking with developer options "Bluetooth Audio Codec".

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,454 of 63,208
Source?

I know the packaging doesn't seem to mention any codecs, nor does the manual they include. But I've been using them and when streaming audio from my S9+ I can see AAC is being used by checking with developer options "Bluetooth Audio Codec".

RHA PMd me on this forum and said no APTx or AAC. It would be nice to get a final answer on this point. AAC would move the needle for me.

Here was the response:

Thanks for your message! I can confirm that the TrueConnect does not support the aptX or AAC codecs, instead uses SBC codecs.

When designing the TrueConnect we did lots of customer research and the majority of TrueConnect users use music streaming services to listen to true wireless products and almost all music streaming services are not aptX compatible and so it wasn’t a priority feature. The chipset that the TrueConnect uses is optimised for connectivity and battery life, which was a driving factor in the design of the earbuds.

Kind regards,

Dante

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,455 of 63,208
RHA PMd me on this forum and said no APTx or AAC. It would be nice to get a final answer on this point. AAC would move the needle for me.

Here was the response:

Thanks for your message! I can confirm that the TrueConnect does not support the aptX or AAC codecs, instead uses SBC codecs.

When designing the TrueConnect we did lots of customer research and the majority of TrueConnect users use music streaming services to listen to true wireless products and almost all music streaming services are not aptX compatible and so it wasn’t a priority feature. The chipset that the TrueConnect uses is optimised for connectivity and battery life, which was a driving factor in the design of the earbuds.

Kind regards,

Dante

There's a pitiful irony in an audio company deciding that implementing a higher quality codec isn't a "priority feature."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back