Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 24, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,471 of 62,419
Sadly no, my 40+ year old ears cannot pick out the difference between SBC, AAC, or AptX. I've tried with LG 770, AKG y50bt, and now these RHA TrueConnect. Can anyone recommend something in particular to listen to, and to listen for? Yes I know ignorance is bliss.

At high enough bitrate, you'll be hard-pressed to pick out a difference between SBC and other codecs.

http://soundexpert.org/encoders-320-kbps

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,472 of 62,419
Just got my Spiral dot today. after 2 hrs of solid A/B testing with the spiral dot, stock L tips and soundpeats tips. I can definitely say JVC Spiral Dot + Jabra elite 65t = warm smooth Wooden Audio Technica sound. It gave it a similar smoothness and warmth to vocals that the wooden series was able to color. however, if you have experience with the wooden AT sounds you'll know it excels as particular genres but the colouration will make genres such as classical or piano poor (one might have to redo their EQ).

65T sits flush at the bottom of the long Spiral dot tube (see pic) so it fits the 65t perfectly for the Spiral dots to do its job. it was able to give characteristics of a horn like effect (due to the deep tube). It tamed the peaking highs and the low-end bass fray(pretty sure it is the dot design inside the tubes that was able to iron out those high low peaks). by doing so it was able to bring out the mid-frequency dip for vocals. Thus more detail can be heard from the mids balancing out the whole frequency curve. which gave it a less fatiguing listening experience.

The material is a bouncer thicker silicon than my soundpeat tips and about 3 times thicker than the stock L tips. It feels very rubbery so it grips more when putting it in your ear making it secure. they are the most comfortable of all the tips I've tried due to the slightly soft bouncy and grippy characteristic of its silicon.

Spiral dot vs stock Tips = night and day difference both from comfort to sound.
Spiral dot vs Soundpeats Tips = warmer sounding with an increase in detail of the mids and ironing out the low/high peaks.

Spiral dot Tips needs to be modded like the Soundpeads with tape. jabra driver clip tip is 4.5mm wide, those tips have 5mm inner tube width with 4mm tube insert width. the 0.5mm grip of the inner tube is not going to clip on the tip securely if it's pulled hard. So a choker is needed. worked perfectly with tape no fall outs. unfortunately with the longer tube its now harder to charge. you'll have to press hard on the charging case to jam the earbuds in.

would highly recommend those tips to Jabra owners. my 65ts now sounds Good :)

Mounts perfectly at the bottom
0BWLAUY.jpg

Spiral dot has the largest inner tube width compared to the rest with the stock been the narrowest
ecd3b4I.jpg

Longest Tube out of the 3 with again stock been very short and thin
dr9dmAA.jpg

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #1,473 of 62,419
I have been using the WF1000x since launch but am back in the market looking for something better. It was an impulse buy at an airport when it was first launch and WF1000x was the first true wireless with a SQ than I find marginally acceptable. A lot of resolution and clarity (AAC mode) with enough warmth and bass for most music. ANC also a bonus and works quite well. However the right channel drop off issue has been a big let down since day 1. Later firmware (now 2.0) does seems to improve but still too annoying. Changing to SBC doesn't really improve the right channel drop out. Also don't like the fact that voice call audio only comes in left channel.

Starting to research again I bump into this thread. Would seek your recommendations for something with at least similar level of SQ as the sony, and preferably with AptX HD or better codec. Cost is not really a concern but sound quality (1), connection stability (2) and ergonomics including the box (3) are my key considerations.

thanks in advance for your inputs!

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,474 of 62,419
I have been using the WF1000x since launch but am back in the market looking for something better. It was an impulse buy at an airport when it was first launch and WF1000x was the first true wireless with a SQ than I find marginally acceptable. A lot of resolution and clarity (AAC mode) with enough warmth and bass for most music. ANC also a bonus and works quite well. However the right channel drop off issue has been a big let down since day 1. Later firmware (now 2.0) does seems to improve but still too annoying. Changing to SBC doesn't really improve the right channel drop out. Also don't like the fact that voice call audio only comes in left channel.

Starting to research again I bump into this thread. Would seek your recommendations for something with at least similar level of SQ as the sony, and preferably with AptX HD or better codec. Cost is not really a concern but sound quality (1), connection stability (2) and ergonomics including the box (3) are my key considerations.

I'm still a WF-1000X user, but have also tried some other true wireless earbuds. Sony's SQ is what keeps me going back to them. Think the closest I heard that could compete SQ-wise is the BE Free8, but it has more connection problems than Sony. I haven't heard the 65t.

I had a chance to try Sennheiser's upcoming offering at this IFA and it sounded great. Didn't get much time with them (crowded exhibit), so can't comment on things like connection reliability, but on sound alone, I'm keeping my eye on them.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,476 of 62,419

do you still have dropouts after switching the ANC/ambient off? i never have dropouts after i turn it off. the annoying thing is it keeps going into ambient mode each time i remove it from the case so i have to toggle them each time

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #1,477 of 62,419
yes, I'm able to adjust volume using my phone and my watch. I rarely will adjust volume using the earbud button.

Glad there is some workaround. If this is the only limitation, it might very well work for my use case. How about making calls? How is the quality on the other end of the call when we speak? Does it do a decent job of background noise management?

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,479 of 62,419
do you still have dropouts after switching the ANC/ambient off? i never have dropouts after i turn it off. the annoying thing is it keeps going into ambient mode each time i remove it from the case so i have to toggle them each time

I'm on the same boat. I toggle ANC off because I don't notice that much difference with it. Annoying that the earbuds reset when you shut them off. Can't say I've noticed a difference with the connection between the two modes.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #1,480 of 62,419
I try not to pay attention to graphs, they never really tell the whole story in real use. I also have the connection issues with the sony wf1000x, none with the sony sp700n. they sound very close to each other, but the 1000x does sound slightly better, bass is cleaner, highs are nicer, they are smaller, more comfortable in ears, I enjoy them very much daily.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,481 of 62,419
I try not to pay attention to graphs, they never really tell the whole story in real use. I also have the connection issues with the sony wf1000x, none with the sony sp700n. they sound very close to each other, but the 1000x does sound slightly better, bass is cleaner, highs are nicer, they are smaller, more comfortable in ears, I enjoy them very much daily.

FWIW sony sp700n refurbs in white are under 80 USD on Amazon

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,482 of 62,419
Update on my E8 journey from the prior pages (last post here ICYC: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-83#post-14533225)

The new pair of E8s has burned in and the volume is almost as loud as the Soundcore Liberty Lites that I used as a volume measuring stick. They will not make my ears bleed, but they're too loud for most purposes. The old pair couldn't be heard clearly over airplane noises, So, tremendous improvement.

However, it's also much, much warmer and "friendly" sounding - not at all clinical like the defective pair I had previously. Lots of mid-bass, recessed high-mids, the top of the highs cut off. Seems like this formula is now the go-to for most wireless headphones. Detail and separation is pretty impressive.

The app seems to make a whole lot less difference with the new pair, too. "Warm" just fuzzes everything up. "Energetic" and "Bright" don't do a whole lot, but what they do sounds a bit artificial. The widened soundstage seems to remove the details too much. Everything sounds best with it centered and the circle at its smallest.

Unfortunately, what I think I want is a pair with the sound signature of the first pair but the volume of the second pair. My dream would be wireless ER-4Ps. Sigh.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,483 of 62,419
I'm on the same boat. I toggle ANC off because I don't notice that much difference with it. Annoying that the earbuds reset when you shut them off. Can't say I've noticed a difference with the connection between the two modes.

your unit still have frequent dropouts even with ambient off? that's too bad... maybe there's more interference in your area than my home. i only have tried it once in mall situation since i bought it, and it doesn't drop out. I'll try in other crowded place later this weekend and report back.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,484 of 62,419
Update on my E8 journey from the prior pages (last post here ICYC: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-83#post-14533225)

The new pair of E8s has burned in and the volume is almost as loud as the Soundcore Liberty Lites that I used as a volume measuring stick. They will not make my ears bleed, but they're too loud for most purposes. The old pair couldn't be heard clearly over airplane noises, So, tremendous improvement.

However, it's also much, much warmer and "friendly" sounding - not at all clinical like the defective pair I had previously. Lots of mid-bass, recessed high-mids, the top of the highs cut off. Seems like this formula is now the go-to for most wireless headphones. Detail and separation is pretty impressive.

The app seems to make a whole lot less difference with the new pair, too. "Warm" just fuzzes everything up. "Energetic" and "Bright" don't do a whole lot, but what they do sounds a bit artificial. The widened soundstage seems to remove the details too much. Everything sounds best with it centered and the circle at its smallest.

Unfortunately, what I think I want is a pair with the sound signature of the first pair but the volume of the second pair. My dream would be wireless ER-4Ps. Sigh.

I love the sound signature of the E8, which is also very similar to that of the E6, or B&O in general. Too bad I felt like a dork with the E8's in my ears. I will never get used to wearing earphones that big. The E6's are basically everything I want in a wireless earphone, except for that horribly noisy connecting wire. Grrrr :xf_mad:

I don't have much hope for the RHA TrueConnect since they don't even mention the sound on the product page. Perhaps the upcoming Beyerdynamic Blue Byrd could be something, but the price is worryingly low...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,485 of 62,419
your unit still have frequent dropouts even with ambient off? that's too bad... maybe there's more interference in your area than my home. i only have tried it once in mall situation since i bought it, and it doesn't drop out. I'll try in other crowded place later this weekend and report back.

Yeah. It's actually been very hit or miss with this headphone in my experience. Sometimes I put it on and no interruption at all, and then sometimes they just don't stabilize. The problem hasn't been severe enough for me to toss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back