Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,366 of 62,747
So you would say that the 65t's passive isolation is > Sony+ANC? When you think of the battery life (already low on the Sonys) penalty it's a bit of a problem...

@WCDchee - interesting, will try to track them down

@Firevortex - what tips did you use? I get a good seal with the stock L tips but walking around with them (or eating!) let alone running is terrible, a kind of stéthoscope effect. Maybe different tips would help.

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #1,367 of 62,747
@webvan i used some generic tips that came with my Sony xzp. you can see from the photo its more rounded and taller than the largest Jabra tip next to it. the Jabra tip was hurting my ear for prolong use especially when i tap it for different functions.
the Havit G1s are on special at Joybuy atm if ppl are interested in trying.

jkW75aE.jpg

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,368 of 62,747
Thanks, I'll try to find some that look like that in my stack of tips !

About the Havit G1s, I looked around on the web and came across quite a bit of negative feedback. Not that it really matters but they look a LOT like the Jabra Elite Sport (including the "wings") and people complain about bassy spound, lag (only a problem for videos), left/right disconnections, lack of volume control. Also the battery life seems to be poor at 2/3 hours, dunno but it doesn't look like there's a lot to get excited about ?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,369 of 62,747
ah, the havit or hgroov kickstarter, if I remember correctly they could be had for 350yuan before kickstarter people got theirs. A lot of issues with them stop functioning.

looks like the mavin x failed their funding. Could be ok, but there where so many red flags like never answering emails before campaign started,no communication on indiegogo. Pretending to be a company in usa, when they are based in taiwan. Also looks like "agency 2.0" is behind everything, like indiegogo,facebook and homepage. Think I sent them 4 emails with simple questions, and got 1 answer weeks later that It was available at comingsoon-tech.com\agency 2.0 with other such great tech as ReGrow helmet.

Wating for reviews on the audio technica ones.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #1,370 of 62,747
Thanks, I'll try to find some that look like that in my stack of tips !

About the Havit G1s, I looked around on the web and came across quite a bit of negative feedback. Not that it really matters but they look a LOT like the Jabra Elite Sport (including the "wings") and people complain about bassy spound, lag (only a problem for videos), left/right disconnections, lack of volume control. Also the battery life seems to be poor at 2/3 hours, dunno but it doesn't look like there's a lot to get excited about ?

Battery life isn’t fantastic in the IEM, 3.5h as you said, but for my uses, and a lot of people I feel, that’s not too big an issue. The good thing is that the case does quite a little bit in terms of reserve power.

Connectivity is actually really pretty solid, no issues there for me.

In terms of the sound. As I mentioned, you need to get the right tips. The thing about many of theses cheaper earphones is that they tend to come with pretty crappy sounding tips. And a quick swap to the right tips make a massive difference.

With the right tips (spiral dot) the bass remains boosted, but the tone across the spectrum is balanced out. A boosted bass isn’t always a bad thing especially when used outdoors.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,371 of 62,747
@webvan i used some generic tips that came with my Sony xzp. you can see from the photo its more rounded and taller than the largest Jabra tip next to it. the Jabra tip was hurting my ear for prolong use especially when i tap it for different functions.
the Havit G1s are on special at Joybuy atm if ppl are interested in trying.

jkW75aE.jpg

do you use adapter for that eartips or do they just fit perfectly? i tried most of my eartips but it seems they fit rather loose on the Jabra

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,372 of 62,747
In terms of the sound. As I mentioned, you need to get the right tips. The thing about many of theses cheaper earphones is that they tend to come with pretty crappy sounding tips. And a quick swap to the right tips make a massive difference.

With the right tips (spiral dot) the bass remains boosted, but the tone across the spectrum is balanced out. A boosted bass isn’t always a bad thing especially when used outdoors.

Does the spiral dot fit on the jabra or are they a bigger profile? i'm interested in getting them but only see single size models online like 6xM 6xL etc... know where you can get S,M,L in a single package?

been using the jabras every day for the past week. now i got some time to sit and enjoy my main rig. oh boy....it reminded me what music fidelity is lol maybe i should just buy a Airpod for calls and be happy with it.

@chinmie they fit tight enough when removing the jabras they come out too. Jabra's seem to have a smaller tip. proper IEM tips might not fit them well.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,373 of 62,747
I have yet to find an IEM with ANC that has great passive isolation (not even sure they exist honestly...possibly for a reason) but in my experience with IEMs with ANC once you turn on ANC you achieve about the same noise reduction in the bass department as with IEMs with great passive isolation...without having to ram them down your ear canal, which is a big bonus for some people. However it can't make it up for higher pitched and "quick sounds" as david8613 put it yesterday, here's where we were discussing that yesterday https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-89#post-14545970 with Rtings isolation comparison.

A few weeks ago while in a noisy car I did put on ANC headphones over the Jabra Elite Sport and it did help. Will try the same thing in a plane next week :wink: Actually I might take some 3M Peltor Optime I "headphones" too !
I'd be more interested in a comparison between something like Sony 1000XM3 vs ER4 (triple flanges deep insertion) or a custom iem in noise reduction. I know the ANC is limited to lower frequencies, and you can still hear the PA system well enough in a higher pitch without the lower body. I'm sure the exteme isolation iems isolates the high frequencies as well.

I have tried Fiio FH5 iem inside the XM3 (with ANC on), and in such a high noise situation in an airplane, it makes it huge difference from universal tip iem. Even a normal iem doesn't isolate enough in an airplane noise environment. ER4 and custom iems are well above this normal isolation level. Could be comparable to full-sized ANC.

I'm interested in trying out the 3M for noise isolation, but unfortunately, I wear glasses. 27dB reduction is a lot! Still, I measured airplane noise to be 80dB!

As far as wireless reliability. In certain circumstance, the Sony 1000XM3's connection broke apart, and got really staticky with LDAC 990 kbps active. I will wait a bit longer for higher bandwidth stability.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #1,374 of 62,747
Oct 20, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,375 of 62,747
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,377 of 62,747
Having paid 111€ for mine I can't argue with the "value for the buck"...the problem is that I can't walk, much less run, with them without the "thumping" in my ear canals, am I the only to have that issue ? I've seen reviews where it was mentioned but few users seem to complain :wink:

@SilverEars - I've done headphone+ANC (Bose QC15 at the time) vs IEM comparisons in the past using my Klipsch S4 with double-flange tips that provide perfect isolation (and the pressure in the canal isn't too bad with the tiny tips of the S4) and the result was really close, the Bose did very slightly better for deep bass sounds and not as well for higher pitched sounds, voices for instance. Having said that they were a lot more comfortable over time and you could just have them on to cut out the noise and relax.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,378 of 62,747
Having paid 111€ for mine I can't argue with the "value for the buck"...the problem is that I can't walk, much less run, with them without the "thumping" in my ear canals, am I the only to have that issue ? I've seen reviews where it was mentioned but few users seem to complain :wink:

@SilverEars - I've done headphone+ANC (Bose QC15 at the time) vs IEM comparisons in the past using my Klipsch S4 with double-flange tips that provide perfect isolation (and the pressure in the canal isn't too bad with the tiny tips of the S4) and the result was really close, the Bose did very slightly better for deep bass sounds and not as well for higher pitched sounds, voices for instance. Having said that they were a lot more comfortable over time and you could just have them on to cut out the noise and relax.

The thumping you will get with virtually all proper sealing iem’s and really has nothing to do with the individual make but rather the fact that they seal

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,380 of 62,747
The thumping you will get with virtually all proper sealing iem’s and really has nothing to do with the individual make but rather the fact that they seal

Ah, thanks for confirming it's not just voices in my head then :wink: I'm still a bit baffled at how people can run with the 65t's then because it is really distracting, unless of course they don't have a good seal in the first place. I wonder if using Comply foam wouldn't help, keeping the seal but possibly letting some air leave the canal and avoid the "thumping". With the foam tips of the Jabra Elite Sport (that seem "denser" than Comply foam) walking isn't a problem, running is though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back