Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,381 of 63,208
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,382 of 63,208
I just got the Jabras. Sound is good to me. Isolation is on par with regular IEMs. I was surprised with how secure the fit was, and very impressed with connection quality. From an ease of use perspective they were great, take them out of the case and they turn themselves on and pair. Totally seamless.

There are only two things I don't like - they don't have ANC, which I didn't realize when I bought them. And they have a ~1/4 second latency with video from certain sources. On my TV it was noticeable but didn't really bother me. On my phone it was better.

I'm debating returning them for one of the two Sony models, either the WF1000X or SP700N. 75% of the time that I use these, I'm going to have a fan on in the room, and if they truly do cancel out fan noise like was stated previously, that's a game changer.

Honestly you should buy both. I have a few sets of two and i rotate them. There is no perfect true wireless iems yet. The jabras, Sonys and samsungs all have strengths and weaknesses but those 3 get awfully close though.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,383 of 63,208
i wish someone make make something like the PSB TW1, but only the dongle parts, and use mmcx/2pin so that we can use any iems/earbuds that we already have.it would be a more convenient solution compared to using something like the Fiio BTR or Radsone ES100

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,384 of 63,208
Is there any detail on whether the audio components are upgraded? Or are these just a waterproof sp700 with a MP3 player?

See specs below for sp900. Not sure but I think this might be the first truewireless with balanced armatures. This maybe why sony could not make it longer lasting in the battery department, but I'm no expert in this. The case looks better, USB-C, volume control, on board memory, completely water proof, sony sound I'm in! Are these coming to the U.S.?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-sp900/specifications

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,386 of 63,208
My RHA TrueConnects are here. My first impressions are fairly good from a sound standpoint, although I haven't done any critical listening yet. Fit is excellent, and rests securely in my ears.

No "ear detection" is problematic - the music keeps going instead of pausing like all my other IEMs. There are also some fairly questionable decisions on button functions (e.g. 2 taps on the right for vol up, 3 taps on the right for vol down... who decided this is a good idea?). Case is awfully big as well (vs. AirPods or my B&O E8 IEMs).

Much to like and much that bothers me right now. It's definitely not a home run... sigh. Let's see what I tend to reach for over the next few weeks... E8 or TrueConnect. Guess I'll keep my hopes up for the forthcoming Sennheiser IEMs.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #1,387 of 63,208
My RHA TrueConnects are here. My first impressions are fairly good from a sound standpoint, although I haven't done any critical listening yet. Fit is excellent, and rests securely in my ears.

No "ear detection" is problematic - the music keeps going instead of pausing like all my other IEMs. There are also some fairly questionable decisions on button functions (e.g. 2 taps on the right for vol up, 3 taps on the right for vol down... who decided this is a good idea?). Case is awfully big as well (vs. AirPods or my B&O E8 IEMs).

Much to like and much that bothers me right now. It's definitely not a home run... sigh. Let's see what I tend to reach for over the next few weeks... E8 or TrueConnect. Guess I'll keep my hopes up for the forthcoming Sennheiser IEMs.

Would be interested in your thoughts on sq compared to the e8. Lack of aac still holding me on the fence.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,388 of 63,208
There are also some fairly questionable decisions on button functions (e.g. 2 taps on the right for vol up, 3 taps on the right for vol down... who decided this is a good idea?).

let me get this right...you'll have to tap 9 times just to get the volume down 3 steps etc...??

Oct 21, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,389 of 63,208
Is there any detail on whether the audio components are upgraded? Or are these just a waterproof sp700 with a MP3 player?

Someone earlier said they're BA drivers instead of DD? Very curious, though. I love my Sony for gym only but they're definitely not "general use" by any stretch of the imagination.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #1,390 of 63,208
Off topic a bit but can anyone recommend a good set of "wired" BT headphones for times when I want better SQ than TW is currently offering? Must for me would be some level of sweat resistance. I've tried the MA750 wireless and VModa neckband. Both have great SQ but neither are really suitable for the gym.

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,391 of 63,208
Off topic a bit but can anyone recommend a good set of "wired" BT headphones for times when I want better SQ than TW is currently offering? Must for me would be some level of sweat resistance. I've tried the MA750 wireless and VModa neckband. Both have great SQ but neither are really suitable for the gym.
BeatsX, it's well balanced, but can't be certain if it's better than a Jabra. No harsh highs and linear bass than what you expect from Beats. Can be had for $100 or less I think. Connection stability and of course the 7-8 hr battery life combines to be a big draw. Only problem is, it's not rated for water resistance or proof, but I don't forsee sweat getting on it to a degree to require it, but you might have to watch it in the rain (there is a large opening charge connection they should have sealed off). Believe me, I tried the cheap lower end stuff and realized, they weren't worth it due to treble peaks, mids incoherency, or bass bloat.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,392 of 63,208
BeatsX, it's well balanced, but can't be certain if it's better than a Jabra. No harsh highs and linear bass than what you expect from Beats. Can be had for $100 or less I think. Connection stability and of course the 7-8 hr battery life combines to be a big draw. Only problem is, it's not rated for water resistance or proof, but I don't forsee sweat getting on it to a degree to require it, but you'd have to protect it in the rain. Believe me, I tried the cheap lower end stuff and realized, they weren't worth it due to treble peaks, mids incoherency, or bass bloat.
Completely agree on the cheap stuff. Beats x are pretty decent. I had a pair when they first came out. Might put them on my list particularly since I’m using an iPhone these days. Maybe an upgraded version this week? Keep the suggestions coming!

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,393 of 63,208
I'll definitely try out the LIVEIQ with ANC from nuheara when it's out in a month or so.

Yes that seems to be the one to look forward to for something "new" in the TWE area. I hope the pricing won't be through the roof like their current model that is likely priced high because of the "hearing aid" aspects.

In the meantime I'm going to be enjoying the 65t that check all the boxes...except if I'm moving around, due to their excellent isolation and resulting "thumping" of the air compressed in the ear canal.

Will see if the Comfort Complys I have coming in tomorrow will help with that. Someone mentioned on another forum that activating HearThrough helped with that problem but it puts such a hit on the SQ that it's not very appealing.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,394 of 63,208
I heard the Nuheara IQbuds Boost thinking perhaps it adapts the frequency response based on it's hearing test. Nope. I think it's for ambient sound pass-through mode. It is marketed as an hearing aid as well. As far as sound, I expected more from this high priced earphone, but the sound was pretty shrill like, and not smooth. It didn't sound largely peaky, but in a way I suspect it has the wiggle type response like you see on Bose QC 35, which creates a shrill type treble sound. It's not pleasant sounding although not like an iem with a large peak up to or bloated bass.

I will be holding out for better codecs (BT 5.0 LDAC 990 kbps, not the 660 or 330 LDAC, or a better one that comes along), connection stability, and battery life with a form factor of IconX. I liked the look and fit of those the best, but not the connection stability.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,395 of 63,208
**** TRN BT3 Wireless available in a number of connection types. I have them with mmcx for some shure 535s. functionally bt but no bells and whistles. the neck wrap is memory vinal, stays exactly where you put it. large buttons on one side +,- and pause/restart. battery life is good, aptx, keeps the phone unlocked as a trusted device.

and now back to (once again) true wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back