Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #616 of 62,324
Well I don’t technically know if I would prefer the E8 to any of the others as I have not tried any of them.

There we go. IMO there is no absolute definition of thin/warm/bright/transparent, etc. They are all comparative, and that's the point of doing a comparison review. Maybe to you the others really are absolutely stellar out of this world. That's how big of a difference I am hearing right now.

perhaps you simply don’t have a good fit and isolation which your statement about them falling out when you move the jaw also indicated

Agreed. I cannot get a good, firm fit and isolation with the E8 after trying out all the silicon tips at my disposal. But the fit it good enough and my room is quiet enough to evaluate the sound. I know exactly when the fit is too bad to give a sound review, and this is not the case here.

May 30, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #617 of 62,324
I used to follow this thread then well lost pace, I’ve just got the Bose Soundsport free but wondering if the the Sony would have been the better option, these will be primarily used for weight training if that matters.

May 30, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #618 of 62,324
I used to follow this thread then well lost pace, I’ve just got the Bose Soundsport free but wondering if the the Sony would have been the better option, these will be primarily used for weight training if that matters.
You made a good choice with the bose. They are very good for your stated purpose. I literally just received the wf-sp700n. I’ll report back with my thoughts in a day or two and within your return window for sure.

May 30, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #619 of 62,324
That’s perfect thank you! The issue I’m finding is the isolation is poor and I’m getting the gyms eurobeat garbage bleeding through at times, and although the fit of the Bose is immaculate imo, the fact they stick out the sheer weigh makes them move, never near to fall out but the sensation is odd when trying to concentrate.

May 31, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #620 of 62,324
Well my Bose Soundsport Free are sadly goon back after only a week, I’ve used them exclusively in the gym and imo the sound is more than acceptable, in fact I fully enjoy the sound, of anything I’d like the bass a bit stronger.

The fit to me is fantastic, but the way they stick out leaves a feeling of a downwards dragging which although they’ll never come lose or free just feels very awkward to me.

Connection wise, they’ve been impeccable, never a loss, blip anything so on that front I’m super impressed.

Now the kicker...

If you’re a runner where hearing ambient noise ie cars beeping etc then the design is pretty genius actually as it’s the best of both worlds BUT for actual gym use imo they’re terribly flawed. At anything less than full blast the environment sound they let in is totally unnaceptable and unfit for purpose, I want to love them as they do so much right but the weight hanging outside the ear and the poor isolation means for me and I suspect many others they’re just not a true gym headphone.

Will be buying the new Sony when it’s available and report back with a comparison.

May 31, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #621 of 62,324
That’s perfect thank you! The issue I’m finding is the isolation is poor and I’m getting the gyms eurobeat garbage bleeding through at times, and although the fit of the Bose is immaculate imo, the fact they stick out the sheer weigh makes them move, never near to fall out but the sensation is odd when trying to concentrate.

If your gym is loud, that is a problem. It forces you turn them up to unsafe levels.
Well my Bose Soundsport Free are sadly goon back after only a week, I’ve used them exclusively in the gym and imo the sound is more than acceptable, in fact I fully enjoy the sound, of anything I’d like the bass a bit stronger.

The fit to me is fantastic, but the way they stick out leaves a feeling of a downwards dragging which although they’ll never come lose or free just feels very awkward to me.

Connection wise, they’ve been impeccable, never a loss, blip anything so on that front I’m super impressed.

Now the kicker...

If you’re a runner where hearing ambient noise ie cars beeping etc then the design is pretty genius actually as it’s the best of both worlds BUT for actual gym use imo they’re terribly flawed. At anything less than full blast the environment sound they let in is totally unnaceptable and unfit for purpose, I want to love them as they do so much right but the weight hanging outside the ear and the poor isolation means for me and I suspect many others they’re just not a true gym headphone.

Will be buying the new Sony when it’s available and report back with a comparison.

I got the Sony's yesterday and was able to give them a spin at the gym. Initial impressions are as follows:

1. SQ is very nice but it requires use of the App which likely is a battery drain. The app has two components: (1) an equalizer but with presets only (no manual mode) and (2) a selection of whether to use best sound quality or stability. I didn't love any of the presets but settled on Bright and Vocal as my favorites. Any bass boost is overwhelming and many of the presets boost the base. The sound signature is V shaped and fun clearly tuned for an exercise crowd. Plenty of punch and energy. Not much in the way of soundstage but that's to be expected. I do think the Bose present a little more open soundstage with some width. The Sony's are in between your ears only. I have tested the Bose, Beoplay, Jaybird, PSB, Onkyo, Erato, and Jabra (Elite Sports) and I would rank the Sony's at the upper middle of the ranks. I personally prefer the Bose SQ but it's not a huge difference. The Sony's are an upgrade to Jaybird in terms of SQ. Perhaps slightly below the PSB but again very close. Overall, these sound very good but are not game changing.

2. Fit. Rock solid. Not much more needs to be said. I think these would survive a sweaty run no problem without slippage.

3. Connection. I didn't wander far from my phone so I can't comment on this yet. I did get one slight drop/shift when walking from the machine to the water station. It was brief but it surprised me because the Bose have virtually never dropped out on me.

4. Features. The app, ANC and transparency mode are all nice features to have. I did test the ANC and found that it works but it is nothing like the ANC offered by Bose on other models. Also, compared to the Bose, they seal so much better I really didn't even need the ANC in the gym. I probably will leave this off in hopes of saving batter life.

5. Battery Life. This could be a trouble spot. Advertised for 3 hours. Well, after 30 minutes of cardio, the meter was down 1/3 but that may just be a software issue. I will rarely use this for more than an hour but if they don't get at least 3 hours, that could be an issue for many of you. The ANC would be nice on a flight but if battery is only 2-3 hours, it defeats the purpose.

6. Design. They aren't the prettiest form factor but I think they look a little less dorky than the bose which are truly awful. This isn't a big issue for me but I am jealous of those sleek form factor of the Jabra Active 65t. These are sleeker than the Bose. The charging case is awful. Feels flimsy and likely to break. I'm a little surprised that Sony didn't do a better job here.

Overall, I think these are a very nice entry into the category. I probably still prefer the Bose due to slightly better SQ but if your intended use is a noisy environment these would definitely be the better choice. These offer a better package of features over the PSB which are very fussy to operate. I have not tried the Jabra Active 65t which is probably the next closest competitor to these but I do prefer the SQ on the Sony to the Elite Sports which I thought were very muddy and average sounding. The Sony blow the Jaybird away.

I'll post more impressions as they get more use.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #622 of 62,324
It's very pricy, but the AKG N5005 which comes with a BT cable (and I've demo'd it in-store) and has amazing SQ. It's extremely detailed and coherent and is on par with my Empire Ears Bravado + pure silver cable in terms of SQ (Bravado has more sub-bass, but the N5005 has sufficient and controlled bass) and this is with the BT cable on. I haven't even tried the wired cables it comes with (3.5mm and 2.5mm).

May 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #623 of 62,324
I never used the e8 but I always heard good things from other users. I think we are seeing a very good example of not getting proper seal with the e8. I had the same problem with the Jabra elite sport, the supplied tips sucked so bad, no seal, the sound was thin and trebly, I couldn't believe this headset cost this much and sounds like this. I went into to my box of spare tips, and I was lucky and I found the perfect set that gave me a perfect seal, wow! huge difference, nice solid bass, great mids, nice sparkly highs. believe me the slightest leak will destroy the sound of any in ear headset completely, you have to have a perfect seal. I tested this again recently, I just picked up some spinfit tips in size large to try out with my Jabra elite sport, terrible! they are just ever so slightly small in my ears, I kind of get a seal but not that locked in seal. the sound was very bad, so I put back in my other tips now the jabras are sounding wonderful again. I sometimes moistening the tips this helps with lock down, turning clockwise or counter clockwise with them in your ears helps too, comply tips work also but I feel they eat the treble frequency for breakfast, they work but I think silicone effects sound less.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #625 of 62,324
For me the Jabra 65t have been very good. Probably walking 8-10 hours a week with hearthrough enabled to max and it sounds very good. No static or strange electronic distortion that people complain about on other brands.

But was looking for some cheaper tws for use in bad weather or not be so careful about.

Stumbled on this one:

TB2EVOVdHGYBuNjy0FoXXciBFXa_!!2374125518.png

What interested me was it had skip and previous song AND volume adjustment. Minus is no multipoint and you need the case to turn them on.

Anyways ordered them so hopefully they will hold connection between them better than the crappy qcy t1 pro.

found a review here

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #626 of 62,324
I agree with tommy c, I also own the Jabra elite sport I reach for those more than my iconx 2018 because the bass and over all sound quality is much better. even though I love the touch controls on the iconx 2018. there is always a trade off somewhere. when I had the regular Jabra 65t those were tops In my rotation, a little less bass than the Jabra elite sport but with better overall sound and much better controls.

I did the firmware update (5.3.0) to the Jabra Elite Sport and the sound has changed.
Generally less bass, in tracks were bass is present it’s still slamming but much less bloated, not as warm, better imaging and soundstage with better separation.
I can now easily pickup placement, left-right, back and front. Treble has a bit more sparkle, this one is easy for me becsue I’m treble sensitive in the left ear and I can definitely feel it more now, may not be an issue for most people.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #627 of 62,324
It's very pricy, but the AKG N5005 which comes with a BT cable (and I've demo'd it in-store) and has amazing SQ. It's extremely detailed and coherent
Pre-order for August @a cool $1k! No fine tuning app?

Luv the hyperbole though

Reference Class 5-driver configuration in-ear headphones with customizable sound

"AKG N5005 is the epitome of pure and detailed studio sound reproduction"

Review: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/akg-n5005

For that kind of 'spare change', I'll wait for Audeze to make a cable BT iSine10/20...iirc iSine are pretty efficient, so should be doable...be even better if they could incorporate active NC, lol.

Till then, I wait with baited breath for the Sennheiser true wireless IEM 'Orpheus' @$50k/set (no Russian tubes though...but there is a tuning app for that AR simulation, be on the Apple App store any day now...n guess what Admn will pee his pants over it, saying how he has to have it after visiting Senn labs). n then the 'trickle' down follow up version Senn always does...the high-end MiniMe version for only $5K.

Funny how we don't hear about ppl losing/having mishaps(accidentally flushed down the toilet in the act of getting up from taking a dump), these true wireless IEM's that will soon cost more than an iphoneX+ ...need insurance like Apple Care+

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #628 of 62,324
For me the Jabra 65t have been very good. Probably walking 8-10 hours a week with hearthrough enabled to max and it sounds very good. No static or strange electronic distortion that people complain about on other brands.

But was looking for some cheaper tws for use in bad weather or not be so careful about.

Stumbled on this one:

TB2EVOVdHGYBuNjy0FoXXciBFXa_!!2374125518.png

any updates?

What interested me was it had skip and previous song AND volume adjustment. Minus is no multipoint and you need the case to turn them on.

Anyways ordered them so hopefully they will hold connection between them better than the crappy qcy t1 pro.

found a review here

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #630 of 62,324
I have ordered a set of the IQBuds Boost. I did a search and came up with info on the IQBuds but not the new Boost model. I will report back in a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back