Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #226 of 62,419
I have an interesting story to share for those of you who experience the audio dropouts when using bluetooth earphones. Shall we begin.........

On Christmas day, i received the Sol Republic Amps Air (on sale for $75 CA) and let me tell you, these things are AMAZING!. However, just using them around the house, i was experiencing the dropouts. Not a ton but enough to cause me to go online and check into it. And man, did it appear to be a common issue. Especially for Android users and specifically for Samsung Smartphone users (I have a Galaxy Note 3).

Three days after Christmas, i decided to spend the day shopping for deals as i prefer to avoid the Boxing Day Madness and this was to be the first big test (open air environment, much more interference) for my Amps. And man, what a disappointment. They were used for the next 3 hours until a recharge was needed, on public transit (buses, subway) and walking to/from and through a large Mall. "Constant Dropouts" were happening (right bud, both buds) and when i entered the Food Court to have lunch, they became almost "Unusable"!.

I had already tried 2 fixes that supposedly helped the odd user (cleared cache in anything bluetooth related in the phone apps section) and (rebooted into recovery and wiped the cache partition). Neither of these helped my situation.

While back on the bus travelling to another Mall, and my Amps still charging, i remembered a third fix that i hadn't tried yet. Needed "Root" (already had it!). Installed the "No-frills CPU Control" App from the Play Store and increased the minimum clock frequency to 883 MHz (a poster tested moving one step up at a time from 300MHz and no difference was seen until 883MHz was reached) . Now just had to wait for the Amps to finish charging. And Boy, was it ever worth the wait!

Inserted my Amps, connected to my phone and began listening to Spotify. Stepped off the bus and walked into a Staples store for 5 minutes. Left and walked over and into another large mall and i was just amazed. Not a single dropout yet. But here came the "Big Test" : 20 minutes spent inside a huge Best Buy store (major interference in here) and "Not A Single Dropout"! Nadda! I was impressed to say the least. By the time i got home, the Amps needed recharging again which meant i just went 3 hours without a dropout.

Yesterday, i used the Amps another 4 hours (public transit commute, walking around the busy downtown of a large city) and again, No Dropouts. Just so happy now with the Truly Wireless Experience!!!

Hope this helps.......

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #227 of 62,419
To me the Sony sounded better than the Samsung. The Sony had more detail, and separation in the sound, they were very nice, but I stuck with Samsung because of better battery life, nice touch controls, sweat proof and no drop outs. I noticed in the latest firmware update for the Iconx 2018 my sound quality changed, it is better even though they do not mention anything about sound quality changes in the firmware. I never tried the Bose, too big and I like my ear buds with a full seal for better sound so I didn't even bother with them.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #228 of 62,419
I bought some Zolo Liberty from Amazon recently for £50 - I'm pleasantly surprised by them. So far no real issues with connectivity to my Pioneer 30R, Sound is acceptable for commuting. I had some cheapo chinese ones in the past that were pretty rubbish, also had the Trinity Air from Kickstarter which were unusable. For something as cheap (in this game at any rate) as these, I'm happily impressed.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #229 of 62,419
I bought some Zolo Liberty from Amazon recently for £50 - I'm pleasantly surprised by them. So far no real issues with connectivity to my Pioneer 30R, Sound is acceptable for commuting. I had some cheapo chinese ones in the past that were pretty rubbish, also had the Trinity Air from Kickstarter which were unusable. For something as cheap (in this game at any rate) as these, I'm happily impressed.

Did you send the Air back to Trinity?
A close friend received 2 pairs and they are both garbage.

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #230 of 62,419
Did you send the Air back to Trinity?
A close friend received 2 pairs and they are both garbage.

Didn't bother sending them back - I emailed back and forth a few times when it looked like they were going to rectify the issues but it never happened, I think I ended up throwing them in the bin. I ended up calling it a day with Trinity after that. As you said, Air was just garbage and unfit to be sold - I didn't like the excuses that came from Trinity once they did eventually get sent out either (some nonsense about water content in people's bodies). I realise BT earphones have shortcomings, but the Air was a waste of money and complete cr@p.

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #234 of 62,419
Gents

Are there wireless headphones which are "always on" and ready to be connected. When i'm in the office and close to the headphones, i want them to connect automatically to my phone and when i leave and come back, they should reconnect automatically.
I guess this is science fiction as it would require some massive battery :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #235 of 62,419
Well, this isn't going well with the PSB. I can't get them both to play together. Apparently, zero customer support as well. They are supposed to connect to one another automatically but I can't seem to make it happen. They will each pair with the phone separately but they won't pair with each other. Quick start manual offers virtually no help. Just wasted an hour of my life trying to get these to work.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #236 of 62,419
Well, this isn't going well with the PSB. I can't get them both to play together. Apparently, zero customer support as well. They are supposed to connect to one another automatically but I can't seem to make it happen. They will each pair with the phone separately but they won't pair with each other. Quick start manual offers virtually no help. Just wasted an hour of my life trying to get these to work.

Oh, sorry to hear that.
In order you get support you will need to log in to their website and create a ticket online.
That was my experience with them and they were quick to reply.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #237 of 62,419
Thanks. Really frustrated. The "Quick Start" guide is garbage. There is no explanation as to how to reset them. Both are trying to connect to the phone and they both do connect but only 1 plays music at a time. Also, there is no charging case, just a USB with a Y selector. Expected more for $149. I have tried calling and leaving messages but no call back yet. I attempted to start a ticket and got a "experiencing a high amount of delays" message. Not acceptable.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #238 of 62,419
Well, this isn't going well with the PSB. I can't get them both to play together. Apparently, zero customer support as well. They are supposed to connect to one another directly but I can't seem to make it happen. Will report back

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #239 of 62,419
Quick update: finally got a person at PSB to call me back. The headphones had to be reset to get them to pair which of course makes perfect sense but wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manual. So their customer support was great. Called me back twice. Had to check with the actual designer on how they work (manual is still "in development"). First impressions are very solid. Sound is sweet. Nice and clear and punchy with some bass boost. I'd call it a very fun sound signature with plenty of volume. Similar to the Bose. Light years ahead of the Jaybird Run which I sold on ebay today. Fit seems stable and secure but I haven't tried exercising yet. I'd put the SQ up there with Bose and the Beoplay. Very impressed and these isolate fully so they will have different usages than the Bose. Will report back as I use them to run and to see if there are any cutouts. I still think the lack of a charging module sucks a bit but maybe that's the tradeoff to keep the cost down. And the pairing process is very finicky.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #240 of 62,419
Quick update: finally got a person at PSB to call me back. The headphones had to be reset to get them to pair which of course makes perfect sense but wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manual. So their customer support was great. Called me back twice. Had to check with the actual designer on how they work (manual is still "in development"). First impressions are very solid. Sound is sweet. Nice and clear and punchy with some bass boost. I'd call it a very fun sound signature with plenty of volume. Similar to the Bose. Light years ahead of the Jaybird Run which I sold on ebay today. Fit seems stable and secure but I haven't tried exercising yet. I'd put the SQ up there with Bose and the Beoplay. Very impressed and these isolate fully so they will have different usages than the Bose. Will report back as I use them to run and to see if there are any cutouts. I still think the lack of a charging module sucks a bit but maybe that's the tradeoff to keep the cost down. And the pairing process is very finicky.

That’s awesome. PSB sound signature is mostly natural, musical and boosted bass. Usually they try to mimic a loud speaker type of sound. These guys know what they are doing, it’s too bad you had to go through the frustration of the initial setup.
I’m planning to place an order as well and pick mine up on Saturday or Sunday.
Just a thought, can you get a small power bank for on the go charging? If it’s possible it might be the cheapest and easiest way as a workaround.
The rep at Best Buy told me that they don’t have a charging module because the battery it much better than Sony or Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back