Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #14,491 of 62,300
So I picked up the AirPod Pros on the way to work this morning. I echo the comments above about them being extremely comfortable and fitting very well. My ears are usually difficult to fit, but with the large tips these are so comfortable that I find it easy to forget I’m wearing earphones.

The ANC seems excellent so far. I’ll wear them on the subway this afternoon and know for sure how good the ANC is — but walking around the office with ANC is a surreal experience. The ANC is definitely closer in effectiveness to the Sony WF-1000XM3s than to the M&D MW07+.

The sound also seems very good. They sound accurate and pleasant (no sibilance or harshness in the treble whatsoever), and the bass is present — although these are not bass monsters, like the Liberty 2 Pros, for example. (I think the Liberty 2 Pros are more enjoyable to listen to, except in loud environments, like the subway, because they don’t isolate well and they obviously don’t have ANC.)

I’ve only taken one call with them, and (although it was a business call so I didn’t ask how I sounded) the person on the other end didn’t ask me to repeat myself — so that’s good. I recorded a voice memo, and based on that recording the microphone seems terrific.

The case is really small. I didn’t have the earlier iterations of the AirPods, so the case feels particularly small to me — small enough so that I can slip it into a pocket and (like the earphones, when I’m wearing them) forget I have it on me.

For the nerds among you (all of you?), I connected my iPhone to my Mac at work and used Console to check the connection speed of the AirPod Pros, and, as expected, they maintain a completely solid 256kbps connection. (In contrast, the connection speed of the Sony WF-1000XM3s deteriorates quickly to 127kbps — on my iPhone 11 Pro, at least — although Sony support tells me they’re working on a firmware update that should address that issue — and the Liberty 2 Pros connection speed quickly drops to 192kbps and stays there.)

Coincidentally (or not?), the Amazon Buds are arriving this afternoon. I’ll compare them tonight. I’ve promised myself that I’m not keeping all these earphones — but we’ll see :wink:.
Very detailed and helpful review. One question, how is the sq of the pro comparing to mw07+?

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #14,492 of 62,300
Yes they seem to have got it right this time. Equally, the pressure vent seem to be helping for me. You don’t feel like you’re in a vacuum which you find with some ANC headphones/earphones.

So I picked up the AirPod Pros on the way to work this morning. I echo the comments above about them being extremely comfortable and fitting very well. My ears are usually difficult to fit, but with the large tips these are so comfortable that I find it easy to forget I’m wearing earphones.

The ANC seems excellent so far. I’ll wear them on the subway this afternoon and know for sure how good the ANC is — but walking around the office with ANC is a surreal experience. The ANC is definitely closer in effectiveness to the Sony WF-1000XM3s than to the M&D MW07+.

The sound also seems very good. They sound accurate and pleasant (no sibilance or harshness in the treble whatsoever), and the bass is present — although these are not bass monsters, like the Liberty 2 Pros, for example. (I think the Liberty 2 Pros are more enjoyable to listen to, except in loud environments, like the subway, because they don’t isolate well and they obviously don’t have ANC.)

I’ve only taken one call with them, and (although it was a business call so I didn’t ask how I sounded) the person on the other end didn’t ask me to repeat myself — so that’s good. I recorded a voice memo, and based on that recording the microphone seems terrific.

The case is really small. I didn’t have the earlier iterations of the AirPods, so the case feels particularly small to me — small enough so that I can slip it into a pocket and (like the earphones, when I’m wearing them) forget I have it on me.

For the nerds among you (all of you?), I connected my iPhone to my Mac at work and used Console to check the connection speed of the AirPod Pros, and, as expected, they maintain a completely solid 256kbps connection. (In contrast, the connection speed of the Sony WF-1000XM3s deteriorates quickly to 127kbps — on my iPhone 11 Pro, at least — although Sony support tells me they’re working on a firmware update that should address that issue — and the Liberty 2 Pros connection speed quickly drops to 192kbps and stays there.)

Coincidentally (or not?), the Amazon Buds are arriving this afternoon. I’ll compare them tonight. I’ve promised myself that I’m not keeping all these earphones — but we’ll see :wink:.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #14,493 of 62,300
@n20nine - a runner even said that the vent removed the "thump" that you get with IEMs each time you hit the ground.

@rhsauer - Thanks for the feedback, sounds good, especially the ANC since you owned the WF-1000XM3 previously, I wouldn't have said that the ANC experience with them (or the Libratone Track AIR+) felt "surreal" at all, OK yes, QC-25, now we're talking :wink:

In other news I received my 26.99£ MPOW T5 or should I say M5 since that's how they appear to be called now, not sure what the difference might be : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WJRW2FB

Pretty happy with them, here are some comments :
- There is a slightly annoying noise floor, mostly in the right ear, it stays for 1/2 second after a tracks ends.
- The stock tips don't work for me at all, the SpinFit CP160 work ok, the Final E too, using these right now but the deeper fit is a bit less comfortable.
- Regardless of the tips they stick out a lot but unlike the Anbes 359 they reach the back of my ear so have something to rest against
- They sound really good, the whole range of frequencies is there with some good bass for a pleasing experience. The soundstage is good too, maybe not as wide as on the Anbes 359 but it was almost too wide on these creating some sort of "hole in the middle".
- No AAC but using @BigZ12 's test file I was able to hear the difference between SBC and AptX

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #14,494 of 62,300
A quick (relative, dirty, etc.) comparison of my current tws with imm6. I like what I hear and what I see :wink:
Forgot to include the Jabra. Now Jabra 65t, Airpods Pro, Shanling MTW100, MEE X10 and Sony XF1000M3.

That's interesting. I guess I might like the Jabra also. I like the Shanling, but not guessing I would like the others with the recessed mids as much.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #14,495 of 62,300
Very detailed and helpful review. One question, how is the sq of the pro comparing to mw07+?

It’s hard for me to compare sound quality meaningfully because (i) the AirPod Pros fit my ears better, and fit is so important to how the sound quality is perceived, (ii) the MW07+s don’t have AAC, so I had the feeling I wasn’t experiencing all they had to offer, and (iii) I’ve returned the MW07+, so I can’t A/B them. (When they fix the AAC issue on the MW07+, I’ll reconsider buying them — but the field is starting to get crowded.)

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #14,496 of 62,300
@n20nine - a runner even said that the vent removed the "thump" that you get with IEMs each time you hit the ground.

@rhsauer - Thanks for the feedback, sounds good, especially the ANC since you owned the WF-1000XM3 previously, I wouldn't have said that the ANC experience with them (or the Libratone Track AIR+) felt "surreal" at all, OK yes, QC-25, now we're talking :wink:

In other news I received my 26.99£ MPOW T5 or should I say M5 since that's how they appear to be called now, not sure what the difference might be : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WJRW2FB

Pretty happy with them, here are some comments :
- There is a slightly annoying noise floor, mostly in the right ear, it stays for 1/2 second after a tracks ends.
- The stock tips don't work for me at all, the SpinFit CP160 work ok, the Final E too, using these right now but the deeper fit is a bit less comfortable.
- Regardless of the tips they stick out a lot but unlike the Anbes 359 they reach the back of my ear so have something to rest against
- They sound really good, the whole range of frequencies is there with some good bass for a pleasing experience. The soundstage is good too, maybe not as wide as on the Anbes 359 but it was almost too wide on these creating some sort of "hole in the middle".
- No AAC but using @BigZ12 's test file I was able to hear the difference between SBC and AptX

Are you sure there’s no AAC on the MPOW M5s? I’m pretty sure my MPOW T5s have AAC.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #14,498 of 62,300
Ok so I got my AirPods pro first thing this morning.

what I love about them:
- very small and light (both case and earbuds)
- comfortable to use and you don’t realise you have it on
- good battery life and very convenient to use especially with the iphone. Pairs super fast and rock solid connection
- ANC actually is good for earphones.
- sound quality is good but probably not as detailed or wide as the Sennheiser momentum true wireless which I still have.

what I don’t like about them:
- not a match for my Sennheiser MTW but only by a small margin

All in all, it’s a very good unit. Just that the senn’s outdo them marginally in terms of sound stage, details etc. Given the Sennheiser’s quirks I much rather keep the AirPods Pro.

Awesome. Sounds like the ones to beat.

Do Airpods ever get a discount for Black Friday? Wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait a few weeks?

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #14,500 of 62,300
Are you sure there’s no AAC on the MPOW M5s? I’m pretty sure my MPOW T5s have AAC.

Yep certain, the AAC setting does not "stick" when I select it in the Android 9 Developer Options. That's really the only way to be certain a codec is enabled or not, at least on Android.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #14,501 of 62,300
Why not trade in the Note 10, get the iPhone, then pick up an LG V30 or V35 for a couple of Benjamins (aptX, aptX HD, LDAC). It will also have the Hi-Fi Quad DAC if you ever want to go wired.

Shoot, LG V30 (renewed) is dirt cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-V30-H932-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07DL11YRX/

just wanted to 2nd this as well, as this feature is available on both my LG V40, and Xiaomi mi mix 2S, both of which have the snapdragon 845, and are running builds of android 9. Both support APTX, APTX-HD, LDAC, AAC AND SBC. Also; FWIW, the mi mix does really steller with devices that are SBC and or AAC only. my QC35's sound so much better on that phone than they do with the V40, or did with the V20 or V30.

Dang, that's a great deal. How does the BT sound on it? @bronco1015 says the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 sounded really good via BT, but Redditors mentioned the DAC in didn't push wired devices very well. Bronco, have you tried any other BTs with the MI Mix 2?

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #14,502 of 62,300
30th October is also when the Amazon Echo buds come out, also with ANC... The reviews are mixed:
CNet: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/amazon-echo-buds-review/
PCMag: https://www.pcmag.com/review/371519/amazon-echo-buds

Would be really pleased if someone who gets them today can comment on how good they really are...

From PC Mag : "The active noise reduction on the Echo Buds indeed reduces noise, but doesn't produce silence. The Echo Buds won't quiet make office chatter sound like a distant whisper, but they reduce it quite a bit, as well as the loud rumble of trains and other vehicles. In testing, I found it to be about on par with Sony's $230 WF-1000XM3 earphones, which is impressive. This is partly due to the excellent, secure fit of the Echo Buds; Sony's ANC circuitry might be capable, but I couldn't get the fin-free WF-1000XM3 earpieces to fit securely enough to ensure consistent noise isolation."

Interesting, I don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer "fins", they do wonders for stability !

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #14,503 of 62,300
Awesome. Sounds like the ones to beat.

Do Airpods ever get a discount for Black Friday? Wondering if I should pull the trigger or wait a few weeks?

I agree — the AirPod Pros are the ones to beat. They tick all the boxes except, perhaps, battery life. Ideally, they’d last 9 hours like the PBPs. The solution, I guess, is just to buy two pairs of AirPods :wink:. (Don’t tempt me!)

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #14,504 of 62,300
I agree — the AirPod Pros are the ones to beat. They tick all the boxes except, perhaps, battery life. Ideally, they’d last 9 hours like the PBPs. The solution, I guess, is just to buy two pairs of AirPods :wink:. (Don’t tempt me!)

I’m also VERY curious how the ANC on the AirPod Pro compares to that of the new Google Buds.

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #14,505 of 62,300
Dang, that's a great deal. How does the BT sound on it? @bronco1015 says the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 sounded really good via BT, but Redditors mentioned the DAC in didn't push wired devices very well. Bronco, have you tried any other BTs with the MI Mix 2?
I have the LG G6 Quad DAC International version, which is obviously a lesser device, and it's great. I purely use it for music when I need aptX HD or I go wired. Samsung is nice, but they build in some price premiums and they lack aptX HD in favor of their proprietary codec (which nobody will ever use). Both Samsung and LG sound the same to me over BT (assuming the codec is the same).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back