Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #14,521 of 62,300
  • I find the sound quality quite good. (Perhaps not as good as the M&Ds or the Liberty 2 Pros, but I’m still acclimating to the AirPods.)
  • The design is a matter of taste. (I hated the original AirPods when I first saw them, but they have become so ubiquitous that others don’t seem to mind — and these are smaller and less obtrusive than the OG AirPods.)
  • They are exceedingly comfortable. (They just disappear, once you put them on, and I can get a good seal — unlike with the PBPs.)
  • The mic quality is superb — better than “decent.” (This is important to me, since I’ve been looking for TWEs that I can actually use for work calls.)
  • The ANC is surprisingly good. (There aren’t a lot of options for ANC earphones — and ANC really makes a difference for my use cases.)
  • The H1 chip provides lots of convenience when changing devices. (I often go from my iPhone to a Mac to an iPad, and back — so easy switching is a real bonus for me.)
  • The connection is rock solid, and the connection speed is as good as it gets. (See my posts above re relative connection speeds.)
All in, I think the sum of the parts make these compelling, but tastes may reasonably differ. For example, for someone not invested in the Apple ecosystem, some of these advantages will be lost. Sound quality and design are, of course, subjective, as is fit. Perhaps I should have said “They tick all MY boxes.” The price is high, no doubt about it. But compared to the Sonys (at $230) or the M&Ds (at $300), these don’t feel overpriced for what they offer. As they say, YMMV.

I like some iPhones and that is what I use, but have always been disappointed in the design and sound quality of AirPods. Give the Sony 1000XM3 a try if ANC is important or even the LibraTone Track Air+, I doubt either will disappoint.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #14,522 of 62,300
Just got my airpod pros about 5 hours ago. I basically agree with the other apple sheep (jk) on here. They aren't too bad as far as sound, I don't think they are as good as the mw07 (first version) and sony wf-1000xm3, but much better than the jabra Elite Active 65t. And I do think that sony has better ANC. The airpod pros are ok, but the sony's win this one. Where these shine and why I might keep them are because of how well they work seamlessly with my iphone and mac. If you've never owned the original airpods and used them with other apple products, I don't think you can truly appreciate how nice this is. Non of the other ones I've owned have been able to answer calls and/or reconnected as efficiently or as accurately as the original or new airpods can. I'm not sure if this matters if you have an android. The other great thing with these is transparency. Most might not care about this, but for my use case, it's more important than ANC. While mostly on par with sony, the thing I like with transparency on these is now I can hear my voice which is something I've never liked with other true wireless. It basically feels like I have the old airpods or the sabbats in my ears. I used to hate talking on the phone with any of the others, because I felt like I had to yell for people to hear me. One last thing I should mention and I hope that this isn't a potential issue down the road, is the way they designed the ear tips. I worry that they may wear out too quickly. It only happened once, and it may have been my fault, but I already had a ear tip stay in my ear as I took out the bud. I'll see how it goes, but if this looks like it might be an issue they are going back.

I forgot to add that wireless charging works pretty good. I tried it on a cheap Seneo and a mophie.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #14,523 of 62,300
Just got my airpod pros about 5 hours ago. I basically agree with the other apple sheep (jk) on here. They aren't too bad as far as sound, I don't think they are as good as the mw07 (first version) and sony wf-1000xm3, but much better than the jabra Elite Active 65t. And I do think that sony has better ANC. The airpod pros are ok, but the sony's win this one. Where these shine and why I might keep them are because of how well they work seamlessly with my iphone and mac. If you've never owned the original airpods and used them with other apple products, I don't think you can truly appreciate how nice this is. Non of the other ones I've owned have been able to answer calls and/or reconnected as efficiently or as accurately as the original or new airpods can. I'm not sure if this matters if you have an android. The other great thing with these is transparency. Most might not care about this, but for my use case, it's more important than ANC. While mostly on par with sony, the thing I like with transparency on these is now I can hear my voice which is something I've never liked with other true wireless. It basically feels like I have the old airpods or the sabbats in my ears. I used to hate talking on the phone with any of the others, because I felt like I had to yell for people to hear me. One last thing I should mention and I hope that this isn't a potential issue down the road, is the way they designed the ear tips. I worry that they may wear out too quickly. It only happened once, and it may have been my fault, but I already had a ear tip stay in my ear as I took out the bud. I'll see how it goes, but if this looks like it might be an issue they are going back.

I forgot to add that wireless charging works pretty good. I tried it on a cheap Seneo and a mophie.
Shockingly, per CNET, they sell replacement tips at the Apple store for...wait for it...$3.95!

I was expecting Apple gouge for a pair, like say $9.99 or $14.99.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #14,525 of 62,300
Shockingly, per CNET, they sell replacement tips at the Apple store for...wait for it...$3.95!

One thing to add, I had in the large tip which I think might be a little too large for my ears. At the time that this happened I was tilting it up, so as not to turn the tip inside out (like the spinfits will do sometimes) as I pulled it out and that may have been part of the problem. Hasn’t happened after using the medium tip, so I hope it’s a nonissue.

Oct 30, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #14,526 of 62,300

that is certainly unexpected. i too, thought they'd be $15. $4 is totally reasonable even thou its 1000% markup

mine just arrived. time to give them a go!

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #14,527 of 62,300
whoa! these just may be the ones! the ANC and transparency modes are fantastic. considerably smaller than the OG airpods. the ANC is really good. like, way better than i had imagined for something this small. i turned on my amazon echo and had it up way louder than i would like to listen to it at my desk and put them in and could barely tell it was on. transparency mode let it in real quick but ANC was great.

plenty of bass (perfect amount for me) and mids are pretty good. i like treble and there is enough here.

these are going to be one of those kinds that every other set out there does 1 thing better...better ANC thru the Sonys, or more bass in the MW07, or smaller and better fit in the mifi 05 or volume controls on the ______ so and so on.....

but few will be able to match the complete package. if you want the best in your requested specific desires, look elsewhere. if you want the best, convenient, best all rounder....these are it until further notice, imo.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #14,528 of 62,300
$4.00 for one pair of silicone tips? To me that is a price gouge. That's about the same price as a pair of spiral dots shipped from Japan.
In a vacuum, yes, that's a rip, for Apple, that's like WalMart Clearance Price!

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #14,529 of 62,300
whoa! these just may be the ones! the ANC and transparency modes are fantastic. considerably smaller than the OG airpods. the ANC is really good. like, way better than i had imagined for something this small. i turned on my amazon echo and had it up way louder than i would like to listen to it at my desk and put them in and could barely tell it was on. transparency mode let it in real quick but ANC was great.

plenty of bass (perfect amount for me) and mids are pretty good. i like treble and there is enough here.

these are going to be one of those kinds that every other set out there does 1 thing better...better ANC thru the Sonys, or more bass in the MW07, or smaller and better fit in the mifi 05 or volume controls on the ______ so and so on.....

but few will be able to match the complete package. if you want the best in your requested specific desires, look elsewhere. if you want the best, convenient, best all rounder....these are it until further notice, imo.
Did you order from Amazon? Mine still has not shipped...

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #14,532 of 62,300
CNET also saying the sony sound better. That's disappointing. I guess you trade sweat proofing for a little sq. I was not wowed by the sony but I was having fit issues and gave up on them quickly.

In this class, especially with Bluetooth, sound quality is going to take a hit. Compared to my iSine 20, both sound worse, but also it costs 2-3x the price. And the Layla I’m considering costs 10x this (JH does have a BT option though.)

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #14,533 of 62,300

So am I correct in reading that you have compared the amazon Echo versus the AirPod Pro, and the Pro are the clear winner?

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #14,534 of 62,300
So am I correct in reading that you have compared the amazon Echo versus the AirPod Pro, and the Pro are the clear winner?
i have not compared them to the amazon echo. i tested the ANC in the Airpods Pro vs the echo turned up, really loud in front of me. the ANC worked really well with music coming from the echo as background noise.

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #14,535 of 62,300
I will be picking up the Airpod Pros tomorrow. I also have an order in for MW07+ but I might have to cancel if the Airpods impress me enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back