Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #14,387 of 62,452
Yes, they popped up everywhere :) A lot of good reviews as well.
What "good" reviews did you find ? Can't say that I found any more informative than the original techradar article :wink:

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #14,390 of 62,452
Indeed they have. I actually downloaded it even before it was “officially” released, when it was quietly put on the App Store (though the App Store listing still says that it is a “beta”).

Landscape Mode is somewhat useful, though because the mics are situated on the earhook portion, such that they are pointing backwards when you are wearing it, it makes hearing people in front of you sound muffled. Still much better than the “Ambient Mode” of the Radsone ES100, which was my previous Bluetooth solution, though that’s not saying much at all.

Update on the high-pitched tone: It’s still there, and my theory is that it is due to lousy isolation between the digital and analog stages of the TM2 (see also: most onboard sound cards on laptops). You cannot hear it using the included (dynamic driver) IEMs, so I guess it serves me right for using high-sensitivity BA IEMs on this.

I’ve now isolated it to about 7810Hz. I can even get some weird binaural beat thing going on if I play a tone at that frequency and low volume using a tone generator app.

Probably the final update I’ll make on the high-pitched sound and the hiss on the Fostex TM2 when using Etymotic ER3 IEMs: I caved and bought a pair of Etymotic ER2 IEMs to replace the ER3 in hopes that its different driver (DD vs BA) and/or its lower sensitivity (96dB vs. 105dB) would suppress the tone and hiss. I’m glad to report that it has. Mostly. I can still hear it if I concentrate, but it is no longer immediately apparent.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #14,392 of 62,452
Hi, I've read through several last pages of this thread but coming into the running discussion, I'm lost with my question. Hope somebody could help as I've always got great info here.
I'm currently using Magaosi K3 Pro (2017 model) with Samsung Note 9 phone. The resulting sound is sufficient for my needs, however I'm thinking of going wireless. My questions are:
1. Are there currently wireless in-ears available that would produce the same quality as my Magaosi K3 Pro? And if so, what's the price level?
2. Is there a way to turn my current phones wireless? I can see BT headbands with MMCX connectors but I have no clue about the quality of the sound produced by these.

Thanks a lot!
1. I don't know, probably yes but not TWS
2. Yes & a bit better but not with a headband but with mini dongle BT receiver or DAP with a clip & a size of box of matches. Shanlin UP2 BT receiver around 75~80$, Shanling M0 DAP & BT transceiver around 100$~100€. Anyway anything else with at least this Sabre DAC & QC BT with support for LDAC, the phone has it but it would be nice to be able to leave phone out of equation for couple buck's more where M0 as the smallest DAP comes in.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #14,393 of 62,452
A couple of videoes with mostly positive feedback, both with features and SQ.

Please help me understand why anyone would want this or the old version.

1) They are gigantic compared to many other options on the market and you end up looking like you have straws in your ears.
2) The battery life is only 5 hours at best, which is about a 1/3 of other options.
3) The sound quality is average at best.
4) The price is near the top of the market.

The only reasons I can see to buy this is that maybe it somehow pairs quicker than other options due to the proprietary tech and maybe it has a good mic. All in all though if those are the priorities, get a Jabra 75t. I just don't get it, it feels like the only reason to buy these are because sheep like their routine. An Apple earbud has no place on an audiophile forum.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #14,394 of 62,452
Hello everyone, I tried to find a good suggestion, but I always find controversial opinions. Is there good true wireless earplugs with bt 5.0 and aptx for a price that doesn't make me want to kill myself (around 100 bucks / 80 euros)?

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #14,395 of 62,452

1) They are gigantic compared to many other options on the market and you end up looking like you have straws in your ears.
2) The battery life is only 5 hours at best, which is about a 1/3 of other options.

The only reasons I can see to buy this is that maybe it somehow pairs quicker than other options due to the proprietary tech and maybe it has a good mic. All in all though if those are the priorities, get a Jabra 75t. I just don't get it, it feels like the only reason to buy these are because sheep like their routine. An Apple earbud has no place on an audiophile forum.

also..why do every 20-25 year olds seem to have a "sleeve" tattoo?

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #14,396 of 62,452

Well with this last one's they at least integrated DAC/AMP which does get into entry lv audiophile club. Something alike Texas Instruments PCM5101 (just as reference). Needles to say neither driver's or codec follows up to those expectations. But many will copy it & some may just put things right so we may really get TWS worthy of discussion next year.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #14,397 of 62,452
How do you check the connection speed?

If you have a Mac, you can determine the codec and the connection speed that Bluetooth headphones are using to connect to an iPhone by (1) connecting the iPhone to a Mac with a lightning cable, (2) opening the Console app on the Mac, (3) clicking on the name of your iPhone on the navigation bar on the left in Console, (4) giving the Mac permissions to connect to the iPhone when it asks (by clicking “Trust” and then putting in your PIN), and then (5) filtering the results (in the box at the top right) for “Bluetooth” and “A2DP.” More detailed instructions are on this board in several other places if you search — but that’s the gist. Once you’ve done all of that, you can clearly see in the Console app what codec the iPhone is connecting with and, on a second by second basis, the connection speed in kbps. It’s a lot easier than it sounds — particularly the second time.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #14,398 of 62,452
Hello everyone, I tried to find a good suggestion, but I always find controversial opinions. Is there good true wireless earplugs with bt 5.0 and aptx for a price that doesn't make me want to kill myself (around 100 bucks / 80 euros)?
Try your luck with Edifier TWS1 for 35$.they aren't anything special but you do get more than you paid for. Or simply forget about TWS and buy a mini clip BT receiver.

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #14,399 of 62,452
The Jabra 75t got more interesting, I asked if you could use the right/left ear bud independently since there was no mention of it anywhere, here's the answer that I got.

". In early 2020, there will be a firmware update that will enable you to alternate between left and right earbuds."

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #14,400 of 62,452
Hi, I've read through several last pages of this thread but coming into the running discussion, I'm lost with my question. Hope somebody could help as I've always got great info here.
I'm currently using Magaosi K3 Pro (2017 model) with Samsung Note 9 phone. The resulting sound is sufficient for my needs, however I'm thinking of going wireless. My questions are:
1. Are there currently wireless in-ears available that would produce the same quality as my Magaosi K3 Pro? And if so, what's the price level?
2. Is there a way to turn my current phones wireless? I can see BT headbands with MMCX connectors but I have no clue about the quality of the sound produced by these.

Thanks a lot!
You might give the TRN BT20 or BT20S a try with your phone. The sound is pretty much what you will hear with your phones wired. BT20 is a bit less expensive than the BT20S...differences are longer play time and some sweat/moisture resistance on the BT20S. BT20S also has AptX. You can check them out HERE. Amazon also has them available but at a higher price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back