Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #14,373 of 62,385
Ok guys. I'm 99,9% sure that if you enable AptX in MacOS Catalina, you actually get AptX. Even if it shows SBC when using the "hold Alt and press bluetooth device to see codec in use" method.

You remember I was talking A LOT about the SBC noise with the Senn' MTWs (NFMI)? (the "metallic" noise, almost like something is loose inside the headphone/bud with deep punchy bass?)

Lypertek Tevi (AptX/AAC) and BeatsX (AAC) were used to test.
- First I disabled both AptX and AAC: SBC noise in both headsets, no doubt about it.
- I then disabled AptX and enabled AAC: Catalina shows both use/support AAC, and no noise what so ever in either headset.
- And the exciting bit. I enabled Force use of AptX and disabled AAC: The Tevi plays compact and punchy bass with NO SBC- or other noise at all! Clean as a whistle.
The BeatsX have the same amount of SBC noise as in the first test with both disabled. (that proves that it's not AAC in use.)

The test song where I hear this very easily: (You need high volume to hear the "clinking metallic noise" clearly.)

You also hear it when using low frequencies with this: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I confirmed it now, that Catalina supports AptX, using the Sony WH-1000XM3. MacOS Catalina still says SBC, but the Sony Headphones app says I have AptX.

My ears didn't fail me this time either.
It's a bit strange that I've never read that other people have identified this SBC-noise I've found/been talking about.
But again, I solved a case with my hearing :)

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #14,374 of 62,385
Oct 29, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #14,377 of 62,385
Just received the Tiso i5, well in their Arespark AP-05 incarnation and they're...garbage. The SQ is poor with a huge emphasis on bass, so much so that they distort ! Enough said but I'll add that while they look "cute" (as in being tiny) they're so small that they're actually hard to tuck in my ear securely so that they don't move and lose the seal if I yawn or chew.

As a side note I also tried the wired Final E2000 a friend had lying around and...wow, the sound is fabulous compared to any of the TWSs I've tried (or even my open ATH AD1000 cans). All the right frequencies are there and the stereo picture is wide and accurate with the different parts being easy to pick up. Has anyone else here tried them ?

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #14,378 of 62,385
Using an iPhone 11 Pro with WF/XM3 and absolutely no such problem. Both the phone and the IEM’s are in their respective latest software updates.

Just tested it and I’m on the JR Yamanote line in Tokyo, probably the most Bluetooth unfriendly environment on the planet. Rock solid performance.

Can you connect your iPhone to a Mac via lightning, run Console, and check the Bluetooth connection speed for the XM3s? My connection speed drops almost immediately from 256 to 127kbps.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #14,379 of 62,385
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #14,380 of 62,385
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #14,381 of 62,385
A note for those of you with an iPhone 11:

I just "upgraded" my iPhone 11 Pro Max from iOS 13.2 beta 4 to the final release of 13.2, connected my Sony WF-1000XM3s to my iPhone 11 Pro Max, and tried to record a voice memo -- and the Bluetooth connection dropped almost immediately. And a second time ... and a third time. This is a problem that happened with some regularity before I upgraded last week to 13.2 beta 4, when it seemed to get better -- but with the final release of 13.2 the problem is worse than ever.

The problem is persistent but happens randomly. If I record a few voice memos, the Bluetooth connection will eventually drop -- and the Bluetooth connection will randomly drop during phone calls too, making these earphones essentially useless on this phone. So whatever seemed like Apple fixed in 13.2 beta 4 is now certainly broken again in the final release of 13.2. I've been having the same problem with the Liberty 2 Pros.

Also, when I connect Bluetooth earphones to my iPhone and check the connection speed on my Mac via Console I find that the earphones are generally connecting at very low connection speeds -- 160kbps or 192kbps (in the case of the Soundcore Liberty 2 Pros) or even as low as 127kbps (in the case of the Sonys). (The Jabra 65t's connect at 256kbps, so not all headphones have horrible connection speeds.) The effect of these low connection speeds on the sound quality is very noticeable -- Apple Music sounds like it's transmitting 128kbps MP3s from 2004.

To demonstrate that the problem is with the iPhone 11, I connected the same earphones to my 10.5" iPad Pro and the connection speed is generally rock solid at 244kpbs or 256kpbs. Also, about a week ago I exchanged my iPhone 11 Pro Max for a second iPhone 11 Pro Max because the first was just as bad -- so something is very wrong with Apple's Bluetooth implementation on the iPhone. Frankly, I'm not optimistic that this can be fixed with an OS update -- since these problems have persisted through several iOS updates, it feels more like the problem might be a hardware flaw in the iPhone's Bluetooth implementation. Ugh.

I have the new AirPod Pros coming on Thursday, and I'll bet the connection on Apple's own earphones is rock solid -- but we'll see. Unfortunately, I have numerous pairs of non-Apple bluetooth earphones that are essentially borked at this point. Very disappointed in Apple.

Are others with an iPhone 11 having any of the same issues?

How do you check the connection speed?

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #14,382 of 62,385
Hi, I've read through several last pages of this thread but coming into the running discussion, I'm lost with my question. Hope somebody could help as I've always got great info here.
I'm currently using Magaosi K3 Pro (2017 model) with Samsung Note 9 phone. The resulting sound is sufficient for my needs, however I'm thinking of going wireless. My questions are:
1. Are there currently wireless in-ears available that would produce the same quality as my Magaosi K3 Pro? And if so, what's the price level?
2. Is there a way to turn my current phones wireless? I can see BT headbands with MMCX connectors but I have no clue about the quality of the sound produced by these.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back