Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 14, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #13,413 of 62,073
Wow...both those songs are horribly terrible...I don't think we can be friends.

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”

― Frank Zappa

“I will not hide my tastes or aversions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #13,414 of 62,073
“I will not hide my tastes or aversions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here, I fixed it for you:

""I will not hide my tastes or aversions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, I will offer you unsought subjective opinions, phrased as objective facts, and declare that you no longer have the option to have something you never said you wanted.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson & AtariPrime" ( :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Joking)

All told, I'm honored you went to listen to the songs - I'm just not sure why you replied since you didn't contribute anything re: the sound of the songs, TWS comparison... It is almost as if you just wanted to tell me you didn't like those two songs... and that is 100% your opinion, and you're 100% entitled to it - but not what the thread is about.

On that note, what's your favorite songs to test your TWS or other headphones @AtariPrime ? Particularly, are there any that you feel do a good job of allowing one to listen for the breadth of soundstage and allows for interesting tonal evaluation?

FWIW, I'd still be your friend - and I'm hoping we can get this thread back on track. Peace, love, and headphones, my friend. :musical_note:

Edit: If anyone else wants to share their fav test tracks for their TWS - please feel free to DM me or to share in reply - I fake want to make a crowd-sourced list and to get a better idea of what you other Degenerates like to listen to - for future testing. :D

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #13,415 of 62,073
I'm in a pickle.

In a nutshell: is there a TWS with aptx support, IPX7 rating, good value and more of a neutral sound signature?

I have the MPOW T5 and I'm quite into it. Though it's not night and day, I perceive a significant difference in audio sync using aptx when streaming media with my phone. However I'm coming from the likes of Sennheiser HD 598 and the plethora of Hifiman earphones (RE-0, -00, ZERO, 400a and possibly more) with neutral sound signature and decent soundstage... I like how the T5 sounds, but I find myself missing the way my old 'buds' – sorry – whispered sweet lullabies in my ears.

The ease of mind of being able to shower while catching up with my Up Next playlist on Pocket Casts has revealed to be a blessing too.

Sabbat E12, Shanling MTW100 BA, Tranya's, ADV M5... I've read tibits about them all but they always fall short in one or two aspects or don't seem to be that much of an upgrade to the MPOW T5

Is there a decent alternative available or soon to be released I should be locking sights on?

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #13,416 of 62,073

""I will not hide my tastes or aversions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, I will offer you unsought subjective opinions, phrased as objective facts, and declare that you no longer have the option to have something you never said you wanted.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson & AtariPrime" ( :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Joking)

All told, I'm honored you went to listen to the songs - I'm just not sure why you replied since you didn't contribute anything re: the sound of the songs, TWS comparison... It is almost as if you just wanted to tell me you didn't like those two songs... and that is 100% your opinion, and you're 100% entitled to it - but not what the thread is about.

On that note, what's your favorite songs to test your TWS or other headphones @AtariPrime ? Particularly, are there any that you feel do a good job of allowing one to listen for the breadth of soundstage and allows for interesting tonal evaluation?

FWIW, I'd still be your friend - and I'm hoping we can get this thread back on track. Peace, love, and headphones, my friend. :musical_note:

Edit: If anyone else wants to share their fav test tracks for their TWS - please feel free to DM me or to share in reply - I fake want to make a crowd-sourced list and to get a better idea of what you other Degenerates like to listen to - for future testing. :D

Well...

1) Boredom. Before anything else, there didn't seem like a lot to talk about. Most of the recent comments have focused on revisiting older chi-fi options. As that's not my cup of tea, I was twiddling my thumbs.

2) Music. I like music, of all, er most, kinds. So I sought those two artists as I had not heard of them and listened. Didn't like what I heard so joking reply ensued.

3) The thread isn't about a lot of stuff that is posted here, perhaps even most stuff posted here.

4) Favorite songs to test...hmm. Most of my earbud listening is gym related, therefore I often test earbuds with a mix of high energy electronic and rock music, maybe with a dash of what is known as 'chillstep' or 'deep house' thrown in for good measure. Also of note, I don't care about vocals in most songs, so unless an earbud causes vocals to skreech in my ear how it impacts vocals is mostly lost on me. All that said, below are a few that I use as test songs.

Far Too Loud - Firestorm (Karetus Remix)
Awolnation - MF
Flux Pavillion - I Can't Stop
Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire (Zeds Dead Remix)
Blackmill - Let it Be
Lindsey Stirling - Electric Daisy Violin
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (explicit ver. w/ Kendrick Lamar)
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Otis Taylor - Hey Joe (Recapturing the Banjo ver.)
Webb Wilder - Baby Please Don't Go

The first two songs above, Firestorm and MF, sound like poop through most earbuds so it takes a special bass heavy tune. Most drivers don't go heavy enough, and the ones that do often can't recover fast enough for the next beat that comes in rapid succession. Much better in a car with 20 speakers and a subwoofer at full volume (big surprise).

*Cheers to all*

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #13,417 of 62,073

Oddly (and I'm still slightly shy of 40), Mr. Neil Diamond's 50th Anniversary Collection has numerous songs that are great for testing. The instrumentation and slick production of those tracks is quite impressive.

Now, you COULD test with the Backstreet Boys, but man, those were not produced well at all...so I understand via word of mouth. Not like I've ever heard any of their songs... :p

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #13,418 of 62,073
Here's an EP I've been listening to lately. It's pretty much Musician's Music, so most of you will probably won't dig it, but the Production and Engineering in this EP is Masterful and the music changes so much it really takes you for a ride. There are very few drum kits that have been recorded this well!

Wot Gorilla?
Angel Numbers

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #13,419 of 62,073
Here's an EP I've been listening to lately. It's pretty much Musician's Music, so most of you will probably won't dig it, but the Production and Engineering in this EP is Masterful and the music changes so much it really takes you for a ride. There are very few drum kits that have been recorded this well!

Wot Gorilla?
Angel Numbers
Can't say that's my cup of tea, but as far as using it to test equipment (layering, etc.), I think those are good tracks. There's a lot (of noise) going on there! :p

Oct 14, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #13,420 of 62,073
I got the BT20s bluetooth system to pair with some Campfire Audio IEMs and I can only get one side to work at a time.
I pair both channels and it'll only play from one side, then if I press the button on one of them it'll play on that side only.. I can flip it back and forth to each side but can't get them both to play at the same time. Any ideas as to what can be going wrong here? I've tried on both an iPhone 11 Max and a MacBook Pro.

Also, is it normal that each channel has it's own Bluetooth connection with my iPhone or MacBook Pro? I've never seen that for a Bluetooth headphone, generally it's a single connection for both channels.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #13,421 of 62,073
I’ve just bought the Fostex TM2 and am using it with my Etymotic ER3XRs. Anyone else noticing some high-frequency tone when music is playing (not just the hiss; that’s at least evenly distributed across the audio range)?

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #13,422 of 62,073
I’ve just bought the Fostex TM2 and am using it with my Etymotic ER3XRs. Anyone else noticing some high-frequency tone when music is playing (not just the hiss; that’s at least evenly distributed across the audio range)?

does the tone stay stable in volume relative to the music? for example, if you turn the volume low or mute it but still let the music play, does the tone stay apparent?

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #13,423 of 62,073
I got the BT20s bluetooth system to pair with some Campfire Audio IEMs and I can only get one side to work at a time.
I pair both channels and it'll only play from one side, then if I press the button on one of them it'll play on that side only.. I can flip it back and forth to each side but can't get them both to play at the same time. Any ideas as to what can be going wrong here? I've tried on both an iPhone 11 Max and a MacBook Pro.

Also, is it normal that each channel has it's own Bluetooth connection with my iPhone or MacBook Pro? I've never seen that for a Bluetooth headphone, generally it's a single connection for both channels.

Sounds like you paired them individually vs as a unit.

You can full reset the bt20s, from 'off' hold buttons down about 8-10 seconds, until you hear a series of tones and they turn back off. Then turn them on into pairing mode (both lights blink blue), tap each button once. They will pair to each other, and one side will now blink red/blue. Re-pair to your device.

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #13,424 of 62,073
I'm testing these Utaxo's tonight. First impressions are good. great bass, brighter highs, but not quite as sharp as the bomaker, reminds me of a better sounding B530, comfy fit. Get this, one touch is volume down on the left and one touch is volume up on the right, double touch is stop and start. Pretty clever. So far i've very impressed. @hifi80sman is it you who's a sucker for a nice metal case? this has an awesome case with a 2200mah battery but only a micro usb input? i'm not sure if it has an output to charge other devices. Anyway, i'm going to spend some time with them and leave my impressions later.

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #13,425 of 62,073
does the tone stay stable in volume relative to the music? for example, if you turn the volume low or mute it but still let the music play, does the tone stay apparent?

It’s stable in volume, and continues even after I turn the volume all the way down. It only stops a few seconds after I stop playback (the hiss also cuts out).

EDIT: Using an audio tone generator app on my source (i.e. my iPhone) and A/B-ing between no audio and the tone, I’m able to narrow down the frequency to being between 7500-8000Hz (probably 7800Hz), if that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back