Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #13,171 of 62,439
Amazing news! I asked them if they are developing an app for the Tevi's and they said they are expecting to release an Android and iPhone app some time in November.

For the past couple of years I've been using my Shure SE215's and so when I decided to take the plunge on the Tevi's after I'd read here so much about them having little to no low end I was extremely pleasantly surprised when my Tevi's matched my SE2125's for bass. Delighted with these Tevi's just need some tips now!

That just goes to show how differently people hear. I think SE215's are basically all Bass and mid-range, muddy with rolled off treble.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #13,173 of 62,439
I will add several more comments on my Libratone Track Air+ since I have been using them in a variety of conditions over the last couple days.

Firstly, the ANC is outstanding. I have been using the Smart setting which adjusts the ANC automatically according the the environment. It is seamless and works like a dream. My car, which has a fair amount of road noise now sounds like a Bentley. Very quiet. This quiet background really permits small musical details to be readily apparent. SQ is very well balanced tonally and all instruments and vocals sound lifelike. Connectivity has been solid, both at home and in my car, however I visited the local Best Buy store and experienced a lot of interference. I can't begin to imagine all the signals bouncing around in that store!

Fit is the best of any of my TWS phones. They simply disappear once in place and provide quite good isolation even without being connected to Bluetooth. The biggest drawback is the limited amount of things you can do via the touchpads. You have your choice of 2 out of the following three options. Play/Pause, Next song, ANC/Hear-through. Playtime per charge is pretty close to the advertised 6 hours.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #13,174 of 62,439
How are powerbeats pro clones B10? For $28, is it worth the gamble?

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #13,175 of 62,439
Can somebody please tell me if the Shanlings are a warm earphone with rolled off highs or not?

I don't want a headphone like Senn's HD650 with the Senn veil.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #13,177 of 62,439
Hoco question:
Anyone know these / have these (ES 25)? Surprised to find them here (Singapore @ Mustafa, thanks again @karloil ) at pretty much the same price as AliExpress ...
Which of course is perfect for impulse buys :)

So far I could only find some videos in Thai & Vietnamese, the VN video has some helpful comments (in English by some Russian user it seems) in case one has pairing headaches ... but no idea about sound quality ...
The red variant looks kinda pretty :)

You're welcome! So did you get one?

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #13,178 of 62,439
I don't have the T5s but I'm in two minds about the Anbes/SSK due to their fit. I've trip tip rolling (SpinFit CP100, CP360, Sony Hybrids, Whirlwind, etc...) but have to come back to the original tips in L size that give great sound when pushed in the canal. Isolation isn't great but acceptable. Do you maybe have to push them in too since you mention not being able to wear them for longer periods ?
The most comfortable tips for me are the Auvio's from Radioshack, I use the Mediums and only push them in as far as I have to for a seal. My MS spiral dots work well too, but they start to bug me after a an hour or so because I have to push them in further.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #13,179 of 62,439
Anker Liberty Pro 2 - Luchyres *Super Simple and to the point novice Review*

Initial impression: Great - USB-C, Hybrid driver, best form factor case I've used, nice packaging. Nothing glaringly wrong with the sound.

But what do we care about first and foremost? After some critical listening - here are my criticisms

SOUND:
- Big Time BASS. These headphones have what I think of when others talk about an inflated bass response and a "consumer" sound signature. It doesn't repulse me as I suspect it would with some, but I like bassy songs and I even find this a bit much at times (FLAT EQ)* I do not think anyone will wish that they delivered more bass (depth or volume) but I think it could be cleaner and decay faster.

- In contrast, the mids and highs seem to somehow be somewhat veiled and yet peak-y. In listening to a playlist of randomly selected songs from my recent Tidal likes - I came to the conclusion that the artists' voices often sound slightly distant/veiled and a bit compressed - lacking the spaciousness and presence that I really enjoy.** My impression is that the crossover from the DD to the BA has a slight dip and then a spike in the treble (high-hat, metal, some voices) leading to a somewhat recessed treble (relative to the bass) that can be difficult to enjoy when corrected with EQ or turned above a certain volume. NOTE: I am somewhat treble sensitive (IMHO) and prefer neutral -> basshead DD/hybrid headphones that can EQ for my sound sig and bass pref.(Current main setup: EX-800ST with tape mod)

*Changing to the Vocal Boost EQ greatly improved the presence of artists' voices on some songs. It gave me hope to try the "sound ID" feature. Changing to Spinfit tips was also an improvement.

After testing my sound preference - I was given a graph that somewhat confirmed the impressions I had formed of the sound signature - my response indicated that I wanted a boost from about 500kHZ to 1200kHZ, a dip around 1.6kHZ, and then a boost from about 2800kHZ up** - toning down the bass and bringing the mids and highs more forward - excluding the trebly peak around 1.6kHZ.

In addition to general impressions, can you comment on how consistent they are in both amplitude and frequency response? While generally good, I have had some Anker products in the past where is one side had better bass response than the other (experienced this with the Liberty Neo and Life NC).

**I tried to listen for diffferences between the buds for you @hifi80sman and I felt that, if anything, the left was slightly louder - but that it could also just be my hearing, or a tip issue. After the hearing test for Sound ID - it showed I wanted a slight boost on the right bud in the highs in particular - take that with a grain of salt, but was interesting to me.

I decided to do a comparison between my former fav TWS (Nuarl NT01AX) and the Liberty Pro 2. New to this, and my taste and hearing are definitely subjective (scratchpad notes):

Playlist (TIDAL) https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/13c7207b-4f85-4625-b70f-cbe6ff136693

Since Six - Key Glock
LPro2: veiled top end, plenty of bass
Nuarl: Bass is tighter - less of a treble peak - voice more present/enjoyable to listen to.

M.e. - Gary Numan
Lpro2: Warm, with treble roll off. Emphasis on drums and bass guitar line - the guitar/string plucks sound flat and congested - lackings some tonality
Nuarl: Less bass. Guitar more textured - the plucking has dimensionality/is more forward and interesting

Milk - Kings of Leon
LPro2: white noise of track is a little pronounced, voice sounds good.... but not intimate or textured.
Nuarl: Bass is cleaner/crisper decay - voice more present

3 Years Sober - 99Punks (or w/e Vic Mensa is doing these days)
LPro2 - lots of bass - peaky guitar/singing - sounds cluttered and resides in the trebel peak - hard to listen to at volume.
Nuarl - spacious, forward, textured, still pleasant to listen to even though he's yelling

Floor Seats - A$AP Ferg
LPro2 - Treble/yell is abrasive - hard to listen to
Nuarl- almost too much - but textured, present and intimate in a way that makes riding that edge good if you EQ to your pref (I tune the treble down a bit on the Nuarl)

Black Truck - Mereba
LPro2: Veiled, Bassy
Nuarl: I can get lost in her voice and the layering and the bass. It's a whole different song.

Overall?
I really like: The case, the comfort, the call quality (did well in a windy dog park), the price ($108 shipped for me - early bird),
Pretty good: Sound, admittedly, I enjoyed the bass presence on some of my rap tracks, the app
Dislike: If I'm being picky - I want a manual EQ in the app. The treble peak and slight veiling.

What have I tried in the past?
Syllable S101, Anbes 359, Sony 1000xm3, MTW, MPOW T5, Earin M2

Current Fav: Nuarl NT01AX

I'm very curious to hear others' impressions (@clerkpalmer ) as I don't really know how my opinion compares to others...

I'll sleep on it and see what I think over the next few days - this was a relatively quick review session.

Interest to hear Trn T200 impressions and to see what the MW07Plus and Go bring to the table!

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #13,182 of 62,439

Initial impression: Great - USB-C, Hybrid driver, best form factor case I've used, nice packaging. Nothing glaringly wrong with the sound.

But what do we care about first and foremost? After some critical listening - here are my criticisms

SOUND:
- Big Time BASS. These headphones have what I think of when others talk about an inflated bass response and a "consumer" sound signature. It doesn't repulse me as I suspect it would with some, but I like bassy songs and I even find this a bit much at times (FLAT EQ)* I do not think anyone will wish that they delivered more bass (depth or volume) but I think it could be cleaner and decay faster.

- In contrast, the mids and highs seem to somehow be somewhat veiled and yet peak-y. In listening to a playlist of randomly selected songs from my recent Tidal likes - I came to the conclusion that the artists' voices often sound slightly distant/veiled and a bit compressed - lacking the spaciousness and presence that I really enjoy.** My impression is that the crossover from the DD to the BA has a slight dip and then a spike in the treble (high-hat, metal, some voices) leading to a somewhat recessed treble (relative to the bass) that can be difficult to enjoy when corrected with EQ or turned above a certain volume. NOTE: I am somewhat treble sensitive (IMHO) and prefer neutral -> basshead DD/hybrid headphones that can EQ for my sound sig and bass pref.(Current main setup: EX-800ST with tape mod)

*Changing to the Vocal Boost EQ greatly improved the presence of artists' voices on some songs. It gave me hope to try the "sound ID" feature. Changing to Spinfit tips was also an improvement.

After testing my sound preference - I was given a graph that somewhat confirmed the impressions I had formed of the sound signature - my response indicated that I wanted a boost from about 500kHZ to 1200kHZ, a dip around 1.6kHZ, and then a boost from about 2800kHZ up** - toning down the bass and bringing the mids and highs more forward - excluding the trebly peak around 1.6kHZ.

**I tried to listen for diffferences between the buds for you @hifi80sman and I felt that, if anything, the left was slightly louder - but that it could also just be my hearing, or a tip issue. After the hearing test for Sound ID - it showed I wanted a slight boost on the right bud in the highs in particular - take that with a grain of salt, but was interesting to me.

I decided to do a comparison between my former fav TWS (Nuarl NT01AX) and the Liberty Pro 2. New to this, and my taste and hearing are definitely subjective (scratchpad notes):

Playlist (TIDAL) https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/13c7207b-4f85-4625-b70f-cbe6ff136693

Since Six - Key Glock
Nuarl: Bass is tighter - less of a treble peak - voice more present/enjoyable to listen to.

M.e. - Gary Numan
Lpro2: Warm, with treble roll off. Emphasis on drums and bass guitar line - the guitar/string plucks sound flat and congested - lackings some tonality
Nuarl: Less bass. Guitar more textured - the plucking has dimensionality/is more forward and interesting

Milk - Kings of Leon
LPro2: white noise of track is a little pronounced, voice sounds good.... but not intimate or textured.

LPro2 - lots of bass - peaky guitar/singing - sounds cluttered and resides in the trebel peak - hard to listen to at volume.
Nuarl - spacious, forward, textured, still pleasant to listen to even though he's yelling

Floor Seats - A$AP Ferg
Nuarl- almost too much - but textured, present and intimate in a way that makes riding that edge good if you EQ to your pref (I tune the treble down a bit on the Nuarl)

Black Truck - Mereba
Nuarl: I can get lost in her voice and the layering and the bass. It's a whole different song.

Overall?
I really like: The case, the comfort, the call quality (did well in a windy dog park), the price ($108 shipped for me - early bird),
Pretty good: Sound, admittedly, I enjoyed the bass presence on some of my rap tracks, the app
Dislike: If I'm being picky - I want a manual EQ in the app. The treble peak and slight veiling.

I'm very curious to hear others' impressions (@clerkpalmer ) as I don't really know how my opinion compares to others...

I'll sleep on it and see what I think over the next few days - this was a relatively quick review session.

Interest to hear Trn T200 impressions and to see what the MW07Plus and Go bring to the table!

Looks like I don't have to make a purchase then. My current favorite is also the Nuarl NT01AX.

I was looking for a replacement because of the hiss, but a recent update made the hiss go down from a loudness of 6 out of 10 to about 2 out of 10. Since updating they are all I have used this week, even for videos.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #13,183 of 62,439
You may want to wait for the Master & Dynamic MW07 Plus. They should be an improvement over the MW07, which has great sound, but 2.5 hours of realistic battery life (maybe close to 3 if you listen at lower volumes). It also has multipoint, so I can connect to both my phones at the same time (listening on one, receiving calls from the other). I'd imagine the MW07 Plus will retain multipoint, but that remains to be seen. It's billed as having far better battery life, BT 5. (vs. 4.2), ANC, and better mics (original only has 1 mic) for calls.

Also, I really enjoy the WF-1000XM3, which can be EQd to your taste.

In terms of SQ, I don't think any of the Jabra TWS' come anywhere near the Master & Dynamic or Sony.
Those are WAY over my budget, sadly. Twice as expensive as Jabra Elites and even those were a stretch. Guess I won't be listening to music on walks anytime soon then.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #13,184 of 62,439

SOUND:

Since Six - Key Glock

M.e. - Gary Numan

Milk - Kings of Leon

Floor Seats - A$AP Ferg

Black Truck - Mereba

Overall?

Excellent impressions. Doesn't sound like they are a game changer, but for $99, sounds like they are pretty good.

What did you think of the Sound ID? Did it work or was it more of a gimmick?

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #13,185 of 62,439
Looks like I don't have to make a purchase then. My current favorite is also the Nuarl NT01AX.

I was looking for a replacement because of the hiss, but a recent update made the hiss go down from a loudness of 6 out of 10 to about 2 out of 10. Since updating they are all I have used this week, even for videos.

I didn't even think to try to find an app to update the Nuarl until you mentioned it, so thank you! Do you know what else may have improved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back