Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #13,201 of 62,434
Can you go in detail what Dolby Atmos does on Samsung? What are the changes? I might need to reflash my phone to test out the feature :)

Dolby Atmos is a digital processing feature made popular for movie soundtracks, but it can be used for any audio content. Dolby Atmos becomes available on my Note 8 when the content is Atmos "enabled". I often listen to Google Music and the content there enables this feature. It's also available when I use Samsung Music to play a local mp3 or FLAC file.

As with most digital processing schemes, the designers went for a specific "effect". For me, Atmos does the expected enhancement of high and low ends, but it does so in a subtle fashion. Additionally, it creates a atmosphere (hence the name) of listening in a good room. There's space added and an articulation and placement of instruments and voices in that space. Again, for me, it can make listening to certain music that is well-recorded rather exciting and engaging. It's pure ear candy.

But as with all of this, it's totally subjective - so it might be a bad experience for you. Plus, it's clearly not going for a total flat response, it's going for fun. It can make my T5's and B530's sound very alive and exciting. Combining Adapt Sound with Dolby Atmos works for much of the music I listen to.

Hope this helps!

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #13,202 of 62,434
And so the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 is in...

QYEJSNI.jpg
Can you post a copy of the case when you get a chance, and I'll look forward to your overall impressions. It looks very similar to those Earin TWS buds, at least in form factor, but then again there are a bunch of buds out there that are similar.

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #13,203 of 62,434
The most comfortable tips for me are the Auvio's from Radioshack, I use the Mediums and only push them in as far as I have to for a seal. My MS spiral dots work well too, but they start to bug me after a an hour or so because I have to push them in further.

I use Auvios on both my SSK and QCY QS1. I love em.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #13,204 of 62,434
Dolby Atmos is a digital processing feature made popular for movie soundtracks, but it can be used for any audio content. Dolby Atmos becomes available on my Note 8 when the content is Atmos "enabled". I often listen to Google Music and the content there enables this feature. It's also available when I use Samsung Music to play a local mp3 or FLAC file.

As with most digital processing schemes, the designers went for a specific "effect". For me, Atmos does the expected enhancement of high and low ends, but it does so in a subtle fashion. Additionally, it creates a atmosphere (hence the name) of listening in a good room. There's space added and an articulation and placement of instruments and voices in that space. Again, for me, it can make listening to certain music that is well-recorded rather exciting and engaging. It's pure ear candy.

But as with all of this, it's totally subjective - so it might be a bad experience for you. Plus, it's clearly not going for a total flat response, it's going for fun. It can make my T5's and B530's sound very alive and exciting. Combining Adapt Sound with Dolby Atmos works for much of the music I listen to.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!
I'm definitely open to new things and considering I'm using TRN BT20S + Chi-Fi, it feels less "guilty" to use it :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #13,205 of 62,434
I've been going wireless for everything. I added a FiiO BTA10 Bluetooth adapter to my M50x, and I just ordered a Radsone ES100 that I'm going to attach to my Q701 with a cable as short as possible.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #13,206 of 62,434
Close call SQ wise. I find the PB Pro to suit my tastes very well. They are very punchy and dynamic without going over the top. The Sony sound good too. I would probably base my decision on whether you need ANC versus sweatproofing. Also, the PB Pro fit me like a dream but the Sony fit was fussy. My $200 would go to the PB pro particularly since you are on Ios.

Thank you for your feedback. I was/am interested in the PBP because of the IOS but the connectivity issues scare me a bit. I saw that ebay has the WF-1000xm3 manufacturer refurb's for $150 so that kind of caught my eye as well. But these would be my running earbuds so PBP it is (I didn't realize the Sony didn't have any IPX rating).

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #13,207 of 62,434
Thank you for your feedback. I was/am interested in the PBP because of the IOS but the connectivity issues scare me a bit. I saw that ebay has the WF-1000xm3 manufacturer refurb's for $150 so that kind of caught my eye as well. But these would be my running earbuds so PBP it is (I didn't realize the Sony didn't have any IPX rating).

No IPX and no fit wings or stabilizers. I don't think they would be a good choice for running. I think you made the right choice. Report back when you get them and let us know what you think of the SQ. I think you will be satisfied.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #13,209 of 62,434
Got to test the Joyroom T05 today which retail on AliX for 25-30$
The setting was less than ideal (busy / loud mall kiosk) but here are my brief impressions. Look & built of the buds is pretty impressive (at that price), the case looks cheap though. Pairing was easy and fit was nice.
But the sound quality was pretty garish: disappointing bass and the mids came across as harsh. not recommended

4DC8208E-A27C-4849-B762-9A7FEFAADB27.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #13,211 of 62,434
Has anyone ever seen this one? It has detachable ear hooks, which would be great for strenuous exercise I would imagine.

2457DC8C-9CB5-4230-A4D9-07A0165DCB04.png

Other than the hooks, it has all of the typical features, Bluetooth 5.0, AAC, IPX rated, touch controls, etc. From the number sold, they seem quite popular.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #13,212 of 62,434
Guys, Someone please drop $21 and buy these so I can get a second opinion. I've had 2 pair, one had a shoddy charging case and wouldn't seat well, but man, I keep coming back to them, they fit nicely and sound great, Controls are excellent and the soundstage is huge. volume is on the left only, 2 clicks up and 3 down. and the buttons are really easy to press, so the don't dig in to your ear drums. I have no idea why they have the same model listed at 3 different prices, but I bought the $29.99 for review and then the $20.99 and they are identical.They def. have a v-shape tuning, but the bass is surprisingly textured and very responsive, solid mids and bright treble, they sound fantastic.

I got my Lystar J29s yesterday. I have been listening to them for about the last hour or so and I would agree on most of your points. The sound quality reminds me a lot of my Tranya B530 with a little less bass oomph. Great highs and mids and quality bass. I also like that I don't have to shove them in my ears or try to pinch them between thumb and finger to articulate the buttons, but I still prefer touch buttons like my Gbuds and Tranyas. My only complaint is the stock eartips. In my ears they slowly push themselves out over the course of 15 minutes or so, even if I'm not moving around. I think they're just too shallow. I put some Spinfit CP100Z on them and they are staying put a lot better and sound pretty much the same. Definitely a good buy for $21!

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #13,213 of 62,434
I live in the Samsung ecosystem (as opposed to Apple) and would like to make 2 points related to that:

1. Not sure if this is real, or a result of expectation bias, but I've found that, all considered, among my TW collection, those that use aptx tend to sound better than those using AAC. This would be consistent with what I've read here that AAC is not implemented as well in Android as it is in Apple products. So, going forward, I'm not considering buying anything that doesn't support aptx. This eliminates the wf-1000xm3 for example, which supports SBC and AAC but not APTX. Would be interested if others could confirm or refute my hypothesis here.
Confirmed. I have several TWS' and Headphones that support both AAC and aptX, so when toggling between AAC and aptX on Android, there is a noticeable difference when A/B the same source material. Obviously, the better the source is and the TWS/Headphones are, the clearer the picture will be. This was a blind test, as I had someone else toggle back and forth while I was in critical discernment mode. :p

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #13,214 of 62,434
Confirmed. I have several TWS' and Headphones that support both AAC and aptX, so when toggling between AAC and aptX on Android, there is a noticeable difference when A/B the same source material. Obviously, the better the source is and the TWS/Headphones are, the clearer the picture will be. This was a blind test, as I had someone else toggle back and forth while I was in critical discernment mode. :p
That's a great way to test. I like your new self portrait @hifi80sman, that mullet rocks! :wink:

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #13,215 of 62,434
What are you guys using for Bluetooth settings, besides aptx?

AVRCP version:
Audio sample rate:
Audio bits per sample:
LDAC codec:

Does any of that even matter?
The sample/bit rate should be maxed out based on the capability of your device and the source content. Unless the source material and your hardware support aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, or LDAC, then changing it to a higher value (if it will even let you) won't make a difference. You'll be able to downscale, but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

If you're using LDAC, Android may, for some inexplicable reason, default to 32-bit, however, LDAC doesn't actually support 32-bit, so you'll actually have to toggle it back to 24-bit. It actually sounds worse when it defaults to 32-bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back