Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #11,941 of 62,443
The Soundpeats Truengine (1 I supposed, opposed to the new 2 on Kickstarter) has been on AliX for a while and looks like a 100% copy / version of the S101 but without AptX...

now, Truengine 2 has wings and it appears a slighlty new logo ... interesting

It also appears very similar to the KNX SoundFlux that I backed, with the addition of those wings and touch rather than buttons. The buds weren't actually that bad, I guess they were very similar/the same as the #1s. Battery life sucked, less than promised, and the case was a dumpster fire. I'm really done with KS/indegogo and their recycled crap, I've been burned by too many TWS campaigns.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #11,942 of 62,443
It also appears very similar to the KNX SoundFlux that I backed, with the addition of those wings and touch rather than buttons. The buds weren't actually that bad, I guess they were very similar/the same as the #1s. Battery life sucked, less than promised, and the case was a dumpster fire. I'm really done with KS/indegogo and their recycled crap, I've been burned by too many TWS campaigns.
Only once did I ‘fall’ for a KS campaign... was a new thing back then. Imagine my surprise when I saw a lookalike of the finished product on AliExpress cheaper than the KS offer, while the KS people were still sending me delay emails ...

Those guys. Ah, good memories. Ended up never receiving them ...

52DDC064-9C02-4534-AC9A-1C02EC19CA93.jpeg

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #11,943 of 62,443
Only once did I ‘fall’ for a KS campaign... was a new thing back then. Imagine my surprise when I saw a lookalike of the finished product on AliExpress cheaper than the KS offer, while the KS people were still sending me delay emails ...

Those guys. Ah, good memories. Ended up never receiving them ...

There are basically two types of crowd-funding campaign:

Ones that are basically a bulk-buy from a Chinese ODM who's already established the design. The importer slaps their brand on it and provides some elementary support, and in some cases might commission a few tweaks to the firmware. You can guarantee that the same design will show up on AliX for half the price,

Ones that are a truly original design that's then outsourced to a contract manufacturer on an exclusive basis. Since most of the people behind these campaigns have little experience with industrial design, these projects tend to suffer large cost overruns and in most cases never ship at all.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother with either of them.

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #11,944 of 62,443
I received my Areabi T515, they surely sound warm, and a bit bass-heavy, but sound is very pleasant I have to say, bass do not overpower the other ranges.

EDM music is great with these, try listening to Zomby's "Natalia's Song", they are amazing at it.

They're really loud BTW, way louder than my previous QCY and Anbes.

EDIT: I'm listening to a bit of post-rock, and I think these are...okayish with this genre of music, which is made of mainly highs and lows, I think bass drowns the highs a bit, and the sound is a tiny bit muffled...

I don't know for sure, but I think I might return these, unless they open up, I want my post-rock to be clear, not drowned out by the bass.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #11,945 of 62,443
There are basically two types of crowd-funding campaign:

Ones that are basically a bulk-buy from a Chinese ODM who's already established the design. The importer slaps their brand on it and provides some elementary support, and in some cases might commission a few tweaks to the firmware. You can guarantee that the same design will show up on AliX for half the price,

Ones that are a truly original design that's then outsourced to a contract manufacturer on an exclusive basis. Since most of the people behind these campaigns have little experience with industrial design, these projects tend to suffer large cost overruns and in most cases never ship at all.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother with either of them.
Because we are suckers and buy the pitch. :L3000:
None of the ones I've backed (only 3, so I'm at least a slow learner) have failed to ship, but they also haven't generally met the original specifications and any issues post-sale mean you're SOL.

You forgot the third type. The one where they have a somewhat innovative design or features, and they outsource to a contract manufacturer who turns right around and sells without a logo prior to any of the backers getting their units. At a much cheaper price. I've been involved in those. Some of those are selling on Amazon at "full" retail price, and it appears that at least some people have fallen for it.

I understand that some companies do KS or Indegogo for PR purposes (cough, cough....Advanced), and I'm not sure why people keep falling for it. Are you really saving any money on an "early bird" if it's delayed several months?

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #11,947 of 62,443
I had the Outlier Air and currently have the Outlier Gold. Basing my impressions only on memory, the Outlier Gold sounds a bit more refined with less bass bloat. I'd be curious as to your A/B, given I did not have that luxury. Also, curious what you think about the Super X-Fi on the Gold. For me, it's really only useful for games and maybe movies, but I didn't like it for music.

Did you receive them from Creative to review/test or did you purchase on your own?
I got these to review. Haven't had the time to properly test them yet. Do notice severe Bluetooth connection problems on the Gold though.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #11,948 of 62,443
I got these to review. Haven't had the time to properly test them yet. Do notice severe Bluetooth connection problems on the Gold though.
I mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere my Outlier Air had a lot of trouble keeping a solid connection outside, even in areas where I've never had a problem. My phone would literally be on my chest (in a pouch hanging on my bag strap) and it would stutter horrendously and drop the left bud.

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #11,949 of 62,443
I mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere my Outlier Air had a lot of trouble keeping a solid connection outside, even in areas where I've never had a problem. My phone would literally be on my chest (in a pouch hanging on my bag strap) and it would stutter horrendously and drop the left bud.
I had exactly the same experience with my Outlier Air's. Never were even remotely satisfactory when outside to to very poor connectivity. Returned them to Creative for full refund.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #11,950 of 62,443
I had exactly the same experience with my Outlier Air's. Never were even remotely satisfactory when outside to to very poor connectivity. Returned them to Creative for full refund.
Interesting. I haven't had any connection issues with my Outlier Gold yet. I'm not in the subway or anything like that, but no issues at the gym and none in the office. Using an iPhone Xs Max.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #11,953 of 62,443
The Soundpeats Truengine (1 I supposed, opposed to the new 2 on Kickstarter) has been on AliX for a while and looks like a 100% copy / version of the S101 but without AptX...

now, Truengine 2 has wings and it appears a slighlty new logo ... interesting

It wouldnt' suprise me if soundpeats was copying the Syllable design, but Syllable was also not the first and only company to use the S101's dual driver design.

Turn down the bass and they get a lot better. Only had them a week, but I'm getting more impressed as time goes by.
Any word on functionality with the new Snapdragon 855+? I read the one plus 7 is using it.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #11,954 of 62,443
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #11,955 of 62,443
Anyone give these "Bomaker" TWS a shot yet? 10% off coupon + promo code XPXVCURW gets them down to $29.98. My collection is getting too big and my wife is starting to ask a lot of questions, so I need to make sure they are a solid buy before I hit "Buy Now".

I've had them for about an hour now, and I would definitely classify these as a "solid buy"- ESPECIALLY for $30.

They are very small and light, and do not stick out of my ears. They do not seat as well for me as the Mpow T5, Panfrey's, or the Ofusho F16's, but after a walk and a jog up some stairs I can tell you they aren't going anywhere. The case is one of the smallest I've come across.

Music is clear, clean - no mud here. Bass is there. It's well-articulated, not boomy. Highs are crisp. These are bright, but not too bright. They've handled every genre I've thrown at them so far very well.

Not so much as a hiccup so far, and that's including a 10 minute walk outside.

I am well-pleased (so far) with this addition to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back