Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 17, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #11,926 of 62,084
Still a noob to this forum for the most part. And definitely qualify for being included in the TWEA Group.
I do have a few True Wireless Earbuds and for what it’s worth, here are my impressions.
  • Master & Dynamic MW 07 - this is long term since they first came out...great sound, nice bass..vocals ok, battery life a bit of an issue
  • Jabra Elite 65t - long term since first released..great overall sound, nice bass and detail, great for phone calls, pretty good battery life
  • HifiMan TWS 600 - not enough bass for me at all...very tinny sounding, no EQ can fix the issues I had with these.. returned after a few days
  • Sennheiser Momentum TW - just got these...great sounding, nice soundstage, great bass, mids and highs..
  • Sony WF SP700N - reasonably priced...ok sounding but not enough bass to my liking...they do have noise canceling if that’s important to you....battery life just about 3 hrs
So far for me it’s about a tie between the Sennheisers and Master & Dynamics with a bit of an edge at this point to the Sennheisers....

For what it's worth, I've had the Momentum TW's for about 4 months now, and they are probably my worst technology purchase ever. Never-ending connections issues (even today) with my Pixel 3, signal dropping to the left earbud when you turn your head (apparently this is a known issue), really poor battery life when sitting in the case, need to heavily EQ them via the smartphone app to make them anywhere close to neutral (as delivered they EQ is a big U). Sound is ok but not remotely at the level of wired in-ear monitors. Not worth anything near $240 list. Strongly avoid!

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #11,927 of 62,084
Is it just me or do these look similar to the Syllable S101s?.
Indeed but these have "wings" which I've always as that helps to maintain the seal even if you move about.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #11,928 of 62,084
For what it's worth, I've had the Momentum TW's for about 4 months now, and they are probably my worst technology purchase ever. Never-ending connections issues (even today) with my Pixel 3, signal dropping to the left earbud when you turn your head (apparently this is a known issue), really poor battery life when sitting in the case, need to heavily EQ them via the smartphone app to make them anywhere close to neutral (as delivered they EQ is a big U). Sound is ok but not remotely at the level of wired in-ear monitors. Not worth anything near $240 list. Strongly avoid!
This is why I can't understand why I still see people recommending the Momentums. As if connectivity and battery issues can be ignored, especially at that price point!
Also, did anyone get their Jade Audio EW1 pre-order? I managed to get in at $30 on Amazon.com and mine will arrive on Friday.
Yup, I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Figured $30 was acceptable to take a chance.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #11,929 of 62,084

This is why I can't understand why I still see people recommending the Momentums. As if connectivity and battery issues can be ignored, especially at that price point!

Agree the MTWs need EQ, battery life is subpar, and they are definitely not the bang for the buck but I actually have not had the connection issues that you describe and I use them every day to commute into NYC (1 1/2+ hours each way). Just the normal skips that happen in certain areas due to NYC interference. I only use these for commuting so the battery life has not bothered me but I would not recommend them if they are your only earbuds as they would not be practical for something like air travel. Maybe I just have not had them long enough for the problems to manifest as I have only had these for a little over a month but I have not regretted buying them.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #11,930 of 62,084
Agree the MTWs need EQ, battery life is subpar, and they are definitely not the bang for the buck but I actually have not had the connection issues that you describe and I use them every day to commute into NYC (1 1/2+ hours each way). Just the normal skips that happen in certain areas due to NYC interference. I only use these for commuting so the battery life has not bothered me but I would not recommend them if they are your only earbuds as they would not be practical for something like air travel. Maybe I just have not had them long enough for the problems to manifest as I have only had these for a little over a month but I have not regretted buying them.
I agree with you, I don't recall any drop outs with my Senns, ever. As for sound I have it eq'ed a bit and they sound pretty damn good, no real complaints. However, despite a few negative comments here I still prefer my Sony XM3 to everything I have. I know the battery life is less than desirable for a 300 dollar TWS for the Senns but if you charge it every 4 days there is no issue.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #11,931 of 62,084
I have tested the Edifier TWS1 a bit more, and one noticeable weakness compared to the QCY T1C is bluetooth reception. While walking on the street in downtown Vancouver (Canada) with my iPhone in my left jean pocket, I experienced some cut off. The left bud is primary for Edifier and the right bud is primary for QCY so you would expect the Edifier to be less prone to cut off since the primary is closer to the device but QCY actually performs better. I do not know for sure if clothing played a role because I was wearing more due to the cooler weather.

The Edifier also has a range issue with my rather old Macbook Pro that only supports BT 2.1. The issue may not be related to the BT version but just the strength of the Macbook Pro's signal. The Edifier started cutting off within 5 feet when I oriented myself a certain way whereas QCY worked from a larger distance. It also seems the right bud performed better than the left bud, which is unfortunate because the left bud is primary when used in stereo mode.

I'll put a feedback on AliExpress and see what the seller says.
I've been messaging via AliExpress with the Edifier Office Store that sold me the Edifier TWS1. The rep suggested a few things, like re-pairing and charging. None of those helped. Now it is clear that the reception on the left earpiece is significantly weaker than the right earpiece. I believe the left earpiece is defective.

They sound great and are useable in ideal situations (device close by with no obstructions) but can breakup from time to time even with my phone in the front left jean pocket. Exchange/return would cost money (likely need to pay to ship back to the store). The store may offer partial refund but then I'll be left with another set of partially working TWS (My QCY T1C has a broken microphone).

Why can't I just have a properly working pair of TWS?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #11,932 of 62,084
Please, God. Make.It.Stop!

purpletws.jpg

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #11,934 of 62,084
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #11,935 of 62,084
Is it just me or do these look similar to the Syllable S101s?
Apart from the wings it looks like they modified the firmware. There's no volume control on these, which you get on the S101. But they do advertise Qualcomm's True Wireless Stereo Plus (i.e. each bud connects directly to the phone) and I'm not sure that happens on the S101. They've also changed to touch control rather than a physical button, and according to the xda review this is even more fiddly.

I'm not sure if there's any change to the actual drivers and tuning. These ones talk about 'beryllium-plated' and 'composite' drivers, whereas the S101 uses 'PET' and 'graphene' diaphragms. As the inverted commas indicate, I'm not sure how seriously we should take either description. Soundpeats used to sell a set with an identical shell to the S101, but using an Airoha chip, and I suspect their ODM is reusing a lot of the tooling and components for this design. The talk of a 'full and thumpy low-end' suggests they haven't changed the frequency response, but I couldn't find any decent review that actually measured them.

The wings might enhance the fit a bit. I haven't had any problems with my S101s falling out in normal use, but I'm not doing anything too strenuous. If you're a fan of touch controls that might be a plus as well. But otherwise it's a hard sell when the S101s are less than half the price and you can get them right now.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #11,936 of 62,084

ouch, thats a pretty bad experience from something quite expensive. i didn't experienced issues with connection. i did how ever had issues with pairing and firmware upgrade at the start. battery life does suck, their smartphone app is next to useless, the way they implemented the app EQ is stupid compared to something like Sony/Jabra. the sound is definitely better than XM3 prob one of the best out there for TWE. its more comfortable to wear than the XM3 been lighter and smaller.

you are expecting too much for new tech. TWEs has only been out for what? 2-3years? how long has wired IEMs been around for?

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #11,937 of 62,084
Do not look at True Wireless Stereo Plus as a sales argument. Not seen any indication that it works in real life with any snapdragon 845+ devices.

Have had the mavins since november, and tws+ is not working on any phone tested. Also qualcomm will not actually give example of any 845+ enabled devices it works on, just says its up to phone manufacturer to implement it.

Also got the syllable s101, just since finally tws under 30$ had apt-x. They are ok and come a long way for 30$.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #11,938 of 62,084
Got the Edifier TWS1. Very comfortable to my ears, touch controls are so-so and control scheme is a bit weird, haven't noticed Bluetooth issues yet, sound is smooth yet a bit dark.

Also, git this package delivered from Creative. Sweet.

9692B477-8FE6-45FE-B3B5-22DD69E903BE.jpeg

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #11,939 of 62,084
Got the Edifier TWS1. Very comfortable to my ears, touch controls are so-so and control scheme is a bit weird, haven't noticed Bluetooth issues yet, sound is smooth yet a bit dark.

Also, git this package delivered from Creative. Sweet.

I had the Outlier Air and currently have the Outlier Gold. Basing my impressions only on memory, the Outlier Gold sounds a bit more refined with less bass bloat. I'd be curious as to your A/B, given I did not have that luxury. Also, curious what you think about the Super X-Fi on the Gold. For me, it's really only useful for games and maybe movies, but I didn't like it for music.

Did you receive them from Creative to review/test or did you purchase on your own?

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #11,940 of 62,084
Do not look at True Wireless Stereo Plus as a sales argument. Not seen any indication that it works in real life with any snapdragon 845+ devices.

Have had the mavins since november, and tws+ is not working on any phone tested. Also qualcomm will not actually give example of any 845+ enabled devices it works on, just says its up to phone manufacturer to implement it.

Also got the syllable s101, just since finally tws under 30$ had apt-x. They are ok and come a long way for 30$.
Turn down the bass and they get a lot better. Only had them a week, but I'm getting more impressed as time goes by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back