Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #11,686 of 62,549
It was a pia but I followed the reset instructions. The key is to keep the buds within 5 cm of each other when removing from the case after resetting. Good luck. Definitely not a simple procedure
Tried a couple or more resets with the Tranya and only one side works when trying to re-pair on all my devices. I'm them sending back and reordering. I'm all for second chances. Plus I like the sound so far.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #11,687 of 62,549
@actorlife This kept showing on my Facebook feed of a 2-in-1 TWS + speaker case. https://www.vissles.com/

These look similar to Earfun Free. I recall Oluv saying Earfun was started up by people who formerly worked at Tribit.

The Marleys are still 150$ at Best Buy Canada. They called that a sale price at launch and for the Labour day but now it's the MSRP so I hope they will go lower Black Friday or Boxing Day. On the other hand with inflation they might actually go up someday.

with no disrespect to Gamesky, but most of the time the way he describes the sound of a product doesn't really match to my own experience/opinion. i trust the Superreview guy more, because what he says usually similar to what i think about the product
Yeah I kinda lost it when he said the originals were bass monsters. I think I got a dud where the right side has more bass (and it's quite deep for that, but lacking in midbass presence), but overall both sides sound very airy/mid-forward. However, I do wonder if some batches of the E12 have already had the tuning altered. Also would be nice to know whether the battery life is actually different or not.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #11,688 of 62,549
Interestingly I just stumbled over a listing on AliX with much higher pricing ... first adopter surcharge? :)

I might get into the BA action some day when the prices are 'normal' and there might be a sale :) They do look great!

Just some dumb Chinese seller. Not even sure if this is any of our official dealers on Aliexpress.

Normal listing should be available soon.

And to everybody who sent me PM about MTW100, will go over them today and give you response.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 10, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #11,689 of 62,549
OK darn it having problems with the Tranya B530 linking together and pairing. I tried resetting and nothing. Was working fine until today. I guess I'll have to get another pair damn.
Clerkpalmer??? I remember you having issues did you get it resolved?
I had problems with them two at first, I followed the reset instructions, I think you have to cradle them? or just power them on until you hear reset, then wait like 15-20 seconds, then put them right next to each other and power them on. make sure BT is off on your device.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #11,690 of 62,549
I have posted in some other threads about this, specifically the Obscure Chinese Dac threads and gotten no responses, so i'm really hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for a portable/pocket DAC player w/ BT that I can stream spotify to from an iphone or has it natively. I'd like to use it specifically for TWS' BUT I was reading today that BT is an all digital signal that is converted using a DAC in the TWS' itself, so having a nicer DAC or amplification won't really matter Can anyone confirm this? @Slater @actorlife @clerkpalmer @FYLegend @hifi80sman or any of you other TWS addicts? Either way,

Here are a few i've been looking at. price range is $100-150.
Hidiz AP80 The Shanling M0, Fiio M6, Cayin N3

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #11,691 of 62,549
I have posted in some other threads about this, specifically the Obscure Chinese Dac threads and gotten no responses, so i'm really hoping someone can help me. I'm looking for a portable/pocket DAC player w/ BT that I can stream spotify to from an iphone or has it natively. I'd like to use it specifically for TWS' BUT I was reading today that BT is an all digital signal that is converted using a DAC in the TWS' itself, so having a nicer DAC or amplification won't really matter Can anyone confirm this? @Slater @actorlife @clerkpalmer @FYLegend @hifi80sman or any of you other TWS addicts? Either way,

TWS are all digital connection, transfer to analog signal happens inside them by their build in DAC(that is small part of main chip inside). So DAC in your player/phone has exactly zero effect on their sound.

If you want to use Spotify on your iPhone, just connect TWS to it. No device in between will bring any improvement.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #11,692 of 62,549

Here are a few i've been looking at. price range is $100-150.
Hidiz AP80 The Shanling M0, Fiio M6, Cayin N3

Agree with @Shanling - you need good quality TWS and the intermediate device would have little to no effect. Keep in mind though that the signal you receive from Spotify doesn't just directly get transferred to the earbuds - your device has to process it, mix in any system sounds, and then recompress back to lossy digital for sending over BT. If you have a dedicated DAC, theoretically that mixing may not happen (as there may not be system sounds), and the subsequent recompression may be utilizing more dedicated algorithms that are better able to account for loss over BT.
Of course that won't make any difference if the DAC in the TWS isn't any good. So spend the money where it counts - on a good pair of TWS - and forget the DAC-in-the-middle.

Or if you follow this thread at all - spend the money on 3, 4, 5, 20+ TWS to find the best one for any given situation :)

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #11,693 of 62,549
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #11,695 of 62,549
UPDATE:

Although I still feel the SQ is pretty decent, the BT connection doesn’t hold well. I just a workout of 30min Jump Rope and 30 min Treadmill, and the BT on the Panfrey didn’t hold as well. Also any shielding of the buds drops the connection btwn the two. I was comparing the B530 at the time, and those are better in all aspects. Also the B530’s kept a connection to my iPad when I walked from my basement to the 3rd floor of my house!! WTH.

I am blown away with the distance these Go and stay connected. I really dig these b530s.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #11,696 of 62,549
TWS are all digital connection, transfer to analog signal happens inside them by their build in DAC(that is small part of main chip inside). So DAC in your player/phone has exactly zero effect on their sound.

If you want to use Spotify on your iPhone, just connect TWS to it. No device in between will bring any improvement.

Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

Agree with @Shanling - you need good quality TWS and the intermediate device would have little to no effect. Keep in mind though that the signal you receive from Spotify doesn't just directly get transferred to the earbuds - your device has to process it, mix in any system sounds, and then recompress back to lossy digital for sending over BT. If you have a dedicated DAC, theoretically that mixing may not happen (as there may not be system sounds), and the subsequent recompression may be utilizing more dedicated algorithms that are better able to account for loss over BT.
Of course that won't make any difference if the DAC in the TWS isn't any good. So spend the money where it counts - on a good pair of TWS - and forget the DAC-in-the-middle.

Or if you follow this thread at all - spend the money on 3, 4, 5, 20+ TWS to find the best one for any given situation :)

I see, that makes sense. I guess one of the other benefits of getting a DAC player would be a better Eq and Aptx for me since i'm using an Iphone. I already own 14 pair or TWS' LOL.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #11,697 of 62,549
Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

I see, that makes sense. I guess one of the other benefits of getting a DAC player would be a better Eq and Aptx for me since i'm using an Iphone. I already own 14 pair or TWS' LOL.

Glad to help.
Keep in mind how the signal will get to the DAC - if it's AAC to the DAC anyway you're just adding even more compression.

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #11,698 of 62,549
Another example of TWS + something mashup ...

20EE1E50-2034-4C60-8A2C-0C3E7B663575.jpeg

It’s getting amusingly silly :wink:

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #11,699 of 62,549
Hi, I'm looking for a first TWS pair in the 100-150$ range.

I was thinking to get the Galaxy Buds after the short Crinacle review, but their battery life isn't that great with the case.
What else do you recommend?
I'm looking for at least 6 hrs battery life on a charge + 2 or 3 charge with the case, great BT stability, and best SQ within the budget.

The Sony 1000xm3 look great but I don't want to spend that much on my first TWS pair.
I can get the Sennheiser MTW for €150 but their battery life is terrible and there are issues with the case that hasn't been fixed with firmware updates.

I'm pretty lost at the moment. Thanks for your help :grinning:

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #11,700 of 62,549
Hey guys...for those interested, the review of the Sabbat E12 Ultra by Gamesky is here...

Looks like a worthy upgrade over the originals: Aptx support, a (finally) proper mic with decent bg noise cancellation, true mono mode and an improved SQ, with still plenty of bass but better balance with mids and highs.

Almost sold to get myself a pair...

Thanks for the link.

Hope someone does a review of the Sabbat X12 Ultra too !

BTW I managed to grab the Libratone Track Air + with the QCC5121 ANC as an Amazon "refurbished" (they're backordered everywhere) - will compare to the Sony WF-1000xm3 that are excellent in SQ and ANC but pretty poor in fit, with only the Comply T-200 allowing them to be usable on the go (Silicone's are ok if you're static). Apparently the Libratone offer a great fit but/because they're "semi in-ear" so passive isolation and ANC probably won't be great, like the QC20...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back