Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 6, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #10,291 of 62,543
It is AVIOT Hybrid Driver True Wireless Earphones TE-BD21f . It is about $200 not the overpriced $650 on US Amazon seller.

Ooooooh, those look interesting! Maybe I can check them out when I am in Japan end of the year (they let you try IEM & TWS in store, cleaning them nicely after each customer)

By then KZ might have proceeded cramming 2DD and 4BAs into their TWS :wink:

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #10,292 of 62,543
What's people thoughts on the Mavin Air x? They still peak my interest.

You know I'm an Air-X fan, but I recently got the Nuarl NT01AX on the advice of some other folks in here. I've had them for a few days and I gotta say... I like the Nuarl even better from a sound quality standpoint.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #10,293 of 62,543
Maybe I need to go the TRN BT20 route.
Anyone knows if the bt20s worth the extra cost?

between my BT20S and BT20, i did a test using the same IEM (Hisenior BT5+ multi BA configuration) :
  1. the BT20S have lots more volume: 30% on BT20S is roughly about 50% volume on the BT20
  2. but because (maybe) the higher volume, the BT20S also has a slightly more base noise /hiss. I'd say the BT20 has a barely audible noise while it's about 5% hiss on the BT20S
  3. the BT20 is about 1 or 2 seconds faster to turn on and off than the BT20S
  4. the BT20S pairs together more easily. the BT20 needs about 5 cm proximity to each other when turning on to pair, while the BT20S can pair together even when I'm using it on my ears.
  5. the battery is obviously a lot longer on the BT20S, although to be fair, i rarely (if ever) encounter low battery on the BT20.
  6. connection is also more stable on the BT20S than the already good BT20
  7. the mic sound (tested with Voice Recorder App): my voice sound closer and fatter relative to the ambient noise compared to the BT20
  8. the buttons on the BT20S is more clicky feeling
  9. the matte finish on the BT20S is nicer looking, nicer to hold, and less prone to scratch compared to the BT20 glossy look.
for me personally, I'd say it's worth it. but maybe if you have a more sensitive IEMs, the older BT20 might be a better consideration.

i really wish TRN let me adjust the volume from the unit

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #10,294 of 62,543
Got my replacement "Anbes" UFO rebrand (which has an unnamed case this time and english instructions) and Jabees Firefly Pro. Impressions forthcoming, but this time around I'm "fully charging them first" just as a precauction whether that caused the defect or not.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #10,295 of 62,543
Hello @FunctionalDoc !

Did you end up reaching a decision for this debate?

I just received my Sony WF-1000XM3 - and they're going back. I realize I don't care about ANC, DSEE HX (sounds digitalized), - for me I care about Sound Quality* (personal taste), Call Quality, Portability, Battery Life - in that order.

I waited a good long time for the Sony's - and I think sound-wise the lack of LDAC/AptX and too small of a driver (6mm) is what's holding them back. The case is also virtually unusable - everything is well designed, but I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing them in a pocket.

So now, the itch is back - and I'm toying with getting the mpow T5 or the Nuarl NT01AX - I also have Sony EX--800ST as a main IEM. I was considering this new KZ T1 - but it sounds as though the call quality may be pretty rough - so we'll see what the next revision brings about.

I may offer more detailed thoughts on the Sony xm3's if people want them - but it was a pretty quick decision for me.

WAIT WHAT?
Sony was being painted here as the 8th wonder of modern times...

Am I a bad person for being happy with it as I cant afford it?

No love for the KZ T1?

GREAT SQ, Bad call quality, good portability, so-so battery life.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #10,296 of 62,543
WAIT WHAT?
Sony was being painted here as the 8th wonder of modern times...

Am I a bad person for being happy with it as I cant afford it?

No love for the KZ T1?

GREAT SQ, Bad call quality, good portability, so-so battery life.
Oh, I have love for the KZ T1 alright. :)

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #10,297 of 62,543
between my BT20S and BT20, i did a test using the same IEM (Hisenior BT5+ multi BA configuration) :
  1. the BT20S have lots more volume: 30% on BT20S is roughly about 50% volume on the BT20
  2. but because (maybe) the higher volume, the BT20S also has a slightly more base noise /hiss. I'd say the BT20 has a barely audible noise while it's about 5% hiss on the BT20S
  3. the BT20 is about 1 or 2 seconds faster to turn on and off than the BT20S
  4. the BT20S pairs together more easily. the BT20 needs about 5 cm proximity to each other when turning on to pair, while the BT20S can pair together even when I'm using it on my ears.
  5. the battery is obviously a lot longer on the BT20S, although to be fair, i rarely (if ever) encounter low battery on the BT20.
  6. connection is also more stable on the BT20S than the already good BT20
  7. the mic sound (tested with Voice Recorder App): my voice sound closer and fatter relative to the ambient noise compared to the BT20
  8. the buttons on the BT20S is more clicky feeling
  9. the matte finish on the BT20S is nicer looking, nicer to hold, and less prone to scratch compared to the BT20 glossy look.
for me personally, I'd say it's worth it. but maybe if you have a more sensitive IEMs, the older BT20 might be a better consideration.

i really wish TRN let me adjust the volume from the unit

1 more difference to add:

BT20 has the problem when you plug it in to charge, about 50% of the time it pushes the circuit board into the housing (which jams the control button until the board is pulled back out). It is very irritating.

The BT20S solves this problem.

Aug 7, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #10,298 of 62,543
1 more difference to add:

BT20 has the problem when you plug it in to charge, about 50% of the time it pushes the circuit board into the housing (which jams the control button until the board is pulled back out). It is very irritating.

The BT20S solves this problem.

20190807_204830.jpg

that's why we put this on our BT20s :dt880smile:

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #10,299 of 62,543
So went on and bought the KZ T1 after reading the comments here. SQ is much more important to me than the functions as I mainly listen to long mixes and do not need to fix volume/tracks etc. and I rarely talk on the phone with my Sony WH-1000XM3's either so in that sense the bad talking sq which someone has mentioned does not weigh too much on my choice of TWE's.

Let's see how they are when they arrive. As long as they connect, stay connected and SQ is as good as mentioned here I am happy for that 38€ price.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #10,300 of 62,543
So went on and bought the KZ T1 after reading the comments here. SQ is much more important to me than the functions as I mainly listen to long mixes and do not need to fix volume/tracks etc. and I rarely talk on the phone with my Sony WH-1000XM3's either so in that sense the bad talking sq which someone has mentioned does not weigh too much on my choice of TWE's.

Let's see how they are when they arrive. As long as they connect, stay connected and SQ is as good as mentioned here I am happy for that 38€ price.

PLase add a comparison between both when you receive it.
Im hella curious to know how it stacks against the big boys.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #10,302 of 62,543
No love for the KZ T1?
I'm excited about the T1, but can't afford it right now. Tight budget. :frowning2: I wish someone in the US would buy them and lend me them. Don't worry I'll use my own tips. I guess for now I'll live through you guys comments. ✌️❤️There is another T1 cool long review on the KZ thread.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #10,303 of 62,543
I've decided that I need to get my Mpows replaced, thankfully I got them on Amazon. The issue I posted about before about not auto-pairing seems to be a problem with the charging pins on the right-side bud. When I drop it in the case, it won't charge -- I have to nudge it up and then the lights change. My guess is that the board is in the wrong spot, kind of like what @Slater was talking about above, or the pins are bent, or something. This is the first TWS unit I have that has 4 pins per bud, I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. It seems like with 2 pins they always manage to connect somehow, but maybe I've been lucky. Has anyone else had this issue with the Mpows or another bud with multiple sets of charging pins?

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #10,304 of 62,543
Oh, I have love for the KZ T1 alright. :)
Looking forward to your review. Is it a 4 or 5 star? Are they better than the mpow or Anbes?

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #10,305 of 62,543
Air UFO BE30 First Impressions
20190806_210719.jpg
- Case has no branding. Slightly redder tint than Coolhere UFO. Lights are white but less yellow, instead with a subtle tint of red and blue.
- Has awful, excessive, voice messages compared to Coolhere. On initial pairing "Primary... Secondary... Your headset is connected", followed by a stretched "maximummm volumeee" which happens EVERY time you crank these up to max volume.
- Seems warmer-sounding than the Coolheres but considering those sounded like the EQ had gone wrong with bass and treble cranked up, take this comparison with a grain of salt. No more bass imbalance but MAYBE the left bud has more treble than the right. If that's really the case it's still better than bass as I think treble imbalances can be partly fixed by shoving foam or removing filters. Regardless, it has a relatively neutral sound with good bass impact, but it hasn't really "wowed" me as when I first heard the Coolhere UFO (bass imbalance aside).

Also, as other users have said here, the volume controls JUST DON'T WORK. It was hold 4s for the Coolhere UFO, but this new batch holding it too long powers off the buds, and too short goes to the next/previous track. double tap on either button goes to Google Assistant, while holding goes next/previous track with a creepy "forward" or "reverse" voice message.

I'll give the Air UFO some time, but at the moment I have the Firefly Pro glued to my ears...

Jabees Firefly Pro First impressions
- Case is large with a similar girth to the ill-fated Earfun Free, except dimensions are reversed (taller than it is fatter). Wireless charging works through my 10W power bank, but not my Samsung Fast Charging stand, which is diagonal. One odd quirk is that while the charging case lights up green with high battery, it turns turquoise when being charged, so I'm not not sure if will actually show charging progress. The other LED on the right just shows red to say you are charging the case.
- Case has Type C connector, but only supports Type C to A charging. Not a big deal for my ecosystem, but YMMV.
- Button controls feel rather finicky - small buttons that will moved your seal around when pushed. On the plus side, they don't driver-flex when I push the buttons like the UFOs or Earfun Free. What's more annoying is the high-pitched long beep when switching tracks.
- Fun V-shaped sound with bass emphasis and metallic treble. Sub-bass is deep, but the midbass does rumble a bit too much. Reminds me of my brief audition with the original Firefly, but MAYBE more refined (Jabees told me the SQ is not much different between the two). It amplifies some of the clicking piano artifacts found in Chillhop piano beats (eg. DJ Okawari and Kenichiro Nishihara). Soundstage is a tad small but has good separation and depth. SBC and AAC sound pretty similar but I will need to run more tests to be sure.
- Isolation is decent but a bit underwhelming even though the seal seems quite good (stock tips are wide-bore but there are some flat-fat tips similar to Jabra 65t included as well). Ambient sound works but has a VERY slight delay, and amplifier taps and fingersnaps which sound delayed ever so slightly. Also hisses a fair bit too. It's still very usable though.
- They connect/disconnect only if the lid is shut down with them in the case. This is not terrible but there is a time period between when the lid is shut and the buds actually shutting down. Also, what happens if your lid breaks?
- It's by no means perfect, but I think we got ourselves a Jabra 65t/Galaxy Buds killer.
20190806_233109.jpg

Attachments

• 20190806_210026.jpg
    20190806_210026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back