Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 6, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #10,276 of 62,145

First minutes:
- Weird controls (how come volume up and next song are on opposite sides?)
- The medium and the big tips both don't have a very tight fit
- The volume settings are way too rough. Either it's too loud or too soft for critical listening.
Congrats. How do they compare to the ZST once you get a good fit?

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #10,277 of 62,145

First minutes:
- Weird controls (how come volume up and next song are on opposite sides?)
- The medium and the big tips both don't have a very tight fit
- The volume settings are way too rough. Either it's too loud or too soft for critical listening.

Wait is one side volume and the other change songs in yours?
Mine is 2 taps next song and 3 taps volume up.

I never got the 2 taps right so 3 taps is out of question for me.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #10,278 of 62,145
Congrats. How do they compare to the ZST once you get a good fit?

Just compared for you, and the difference is bigger than I thought, we arent there yet.

Used the old crappy sbc adapter for a fair comparison and the ZST is better in almost everything, more and deeper bass, but a bit slower, treble is more recessed (and it feels like it has a bit less details, with a little worse instrument separation) in the T1 also, as I suspected the T1 has a less pronounced V curve. ZST also has a wider soundstage.

I guess is the small amplifier, feels like it lacks enough power to get the best from the drivers.

Anyways, it still sounds fantastic for a TWS (and better than a cheap wired such as Piston) but still isnt in the same league of the ZST.

It was also nice to remember how good the ZST still sound even with the crappy BT adapter.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #10,279 of 62,145
Wait is one side volume and the other change songs in yours?
Mine is 2 taps next song and 3 taps volume up.

I never got the 2 taps right so 3 taps is out of question for me.
Yes, that's the control scheme. It just feels weird: increasing the volume but ’decreasing’ a track on the same side.

I'm used to it already... but indeed, it's hard to triple tap.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #10,280 of 62,145
Just compared for you, and the difference is bigger than I thought, we arent there yet.

Used the old crappy sbc adapter for a fair comparison and the ZST is better in almost everything, more and deeper bass, but a bit slower, treble is more recessed (and it feels like it has a bit less details, with a little worse instrument separation) in the T1 also, as I suspected the T1 has a less pronounced V curve. ZST also has a wider soundstage.

I guess is the small amplifier, feels like it lacks enough power to get the best from the drivers.

Anyways, it still sounds fantastic for a TWS (and better than a cheap wired such as Piston) but still isnt in the same league of the ZST.

It was also nice to remember how good the ZST still sound even with the crappy BT adapter.

You are saying an $18 iem beats the T1 in sq? Ugh.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #10,281 of 62,145
You are saying an $18 iem beats the T1 in sq? Ugh.

Well, Im saying a $18 iem beat any TWS I tried so far, the Whizzer TP1, the TFZ X1, the Sabbat E12, all of them more expensive than the T1.

But T1 is the closest and sounds very good.

I could be biased because I love the ZST as it was the iem that made me find out about chi-fi in general and head-fi.

Maybe I need to go the TRN BT20 route.
Anyone knows if the bt20s worth the extra cost?

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #10,282 of 62,145
I debating to go with a $50 model:
Mpow T5

More expensive ones:
1: Nuarl NT01AX $160
2: Jabra Elite Active 65t $169.93
3: Sony WF-1000XM3 $230

I have nice IEM's:
Fearless S8F = 8BA's
Sony MDR ex800st DD driver

MY number first priority is great sound and like tight bass and sub bass but it must not bleed into the mid range.
I don't like that the Sony's and Jabra don't support the higher bit rate codec's.

I read Crinacle's review and I respect his opinion but Sony doesn't have much water and sweat resistance compared to the Nuarl .

The Aviot TE-BD21f-pnk looks very interesting and their quality looks top notch

I want something that has easy controls to pause , change the volume and be decent for an occasional call ,

Love here your thoughts on these choices and other recommendations . Definitely a series of comprises

Thanks .

Hello @FunctionalDoc !

Did you end up reaching a decision for this debate?

I just received my Sony WF-1000XM3 - and they're going back. I realize I don't care about ANC, DSEE HX (sounds digitalized), - for me I care about Sound Quality* (personal taste), Call Quality, Portability, Battery Life - in that order.

I waited a good long time for the Sony's - and I think sound-wise the lack of LDAC/AptX and too small of a driver (6mm) is what's holding them back. The case is also virtually unusable - everything is well designed, but I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing them in a pocket.

So now, the itch is back - and I'm toying with getting the mpow T5 or the Nuarl NT01AX - I also have Sony EX--800ST as a main IEM. I was considering this new KZ T1 - but it sounds as though the call quality may be pretty rough - so we'll see what the next revision brings about.

I may offer more detailed thoughts on the Sony xm3's if people want them - but it was a pretty quick decision for me.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #10,284 of 62,145
Hello @FunctionalDoc !

Did you end up reaching a decision for this debate?

I just received my Sony WF-1000XM3 - and they're going back. I realize I don't care about ANC, DSEE HX (sounds digitalized), - for me I care about Sound Quality* (personal taste), Call Quality, Portability, Battery Life - in that order.

I waited a good long time for the Sony's - and I think sound-wise the lack of LDAC/AptX and too small of a driver (6mm) is what's holding them back. The case is also virtually unusable - everything is well designed, but I wouldn't feel comfortable throwing them in a pocket.

So now, the itch is back - and I'm toying with getting the mpow T5 or the Nuarl NT01AX - I also have Sony EX--800ST as a main IEM. I was considering this new KZ T1 - but it sounds as though the call quality may be pretty rough - so we'll see what the next revision brings about.

I may offer more detailed thoughts on the Sony xm3's if people want them - but it was a pretty quick decision for me.
I bought the T5's on Amazon lighting Dale for $36 and they are great for the price. I bought and returned the Nural's because of the fit and I expected more dynamic sound for $160 .

Trying to get the new Aviot's from Japan that have a 9mm DD and 2 BA'$. I also tried the 1Mores and their connection for wasn't great and limited playback volume.

Still looking for better sound .

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #10,285 of 62,145
I bought the T5's on Amazon lighting Dale for $36 and they are great for the price. I bought and returned the Nural's because of the fit and I expected more dynamic sound for $160 .

Trying to get the new Aviot's from Japan that have a 9mm DD and 2 BA'$. I also tried the 1Mores and their connection for wasn't great and limited playback volume.

Still looking for better sound .

Well dang, I just ordered the Nuarl... I guess we'll see.

What model # is this forthcoming Aviot? Didn't love the look of things I saw in their Amazon web store, but a 9mm DD sounds intriguing...

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #10,286 of 62,145
Well dang, I just ordered the Nuarl... I guess we'll see.

What model # is this forthcoming Aviot? Didn't love the look of things I saw in their Amazon web store, but a 9mm DD sounds intriguing...

Thanks!
It is AVIOT Hybrid Driver True Wireless Earphones TE-BD21f . It is about $200 not the overpriced $650 on US Amazon seller.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #10,287 of 62,145
I got the earfun free's and they fit the bill for me!

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #10,290 of 62,145
Got my Mpow T5s in today... and HOLY MOLY these things are ridiculous! It's like my Aukey T10s, but everything is.... cleaner? That's the best word I can think of. The Aukeys sound really good but the T5 is just more refined in just about every way. I love them! And one of my only pet peeves with the T10 is only being able to use the right earbud if you only want to use one at a time. I love being able to do either with the Mpow!

Are there any 3rd party eartips that are similar to the stock ones that come with the T5s? These are way more comfortable than the stock Aukey eartips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back