Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #10,248 of 62,439
But does it drive the DD iems as hard as more powerful amps out there? And like I stated, it's how hard DD being driven that matters. This is why those weak amps in the earpieces do not do the drivers justice. This is the primary imprtance of driver sound quality next to tuning, not codecs. Codecs starts to come into play once all the essentials are established.

I have some dynamic driver iems that take a bit juice to drive. A phone can't drive it well, so a weak amp inside thes earpieces will not drive them well.

This is the TW bottleneck in SQ.

it drives my IEMs plenty loud to me. i also never have any problems with not enough volume with my TWSs.
just curiousa and so we are on the same page, when you mention more powerful amps that drives better: what kind of difference are you referring to? let's say for a scenario you take one IEM, and plug it to a phone and then a powerful amp, what kind of difference in sound does the more powerful amp produce? when talking about power do you mean the gain increase, and not just a volume increase?

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #10,249 of 62,439
it drives my IEMs plenty loud to me. i also never have any problems with not enough volume with my TWSs.
just curiousa and so we are on the same page, when you mention more powerful amps that drives better: what kind of difference are you referring to? let's say for a scenario you take one IEM, and plug it to a phone and then a powerful amp, what kind of difference in sound does the more powerful amp produce? when talking about power do you mean the gain increase, and not just a volume increase?
If you have some experience with full-sized headphones with amps, you'd understand that loudness doesn't mean well driven. Given dynamic drivers are harder to drive than more efficient BA drivers, their sound quality improves quite a bit from strong amping.

Even from a typical PC headphone out with Realtek chip, drives the dynamic drivers quite well that you get a much tighter response, and better defined response. It's obvious when they are not well driven, but people may shrug it off like they are just bad sounding iems, until you driven them well. Cheap dynamic drivers like $5 Sony MH755 or AKG Samung iem response makes a world of a difference if driven harder. These are all dynamic drivers. These Realtek onboard sound cards or ordinary stuff you'd find on pretty much most PCs motherboards out there.

Reason why dynamic drivers responds so well to them is due to strong output, and also the fact that dynamic drivers have a linear impedance response (unlike BA drivers), so even if the onboard sound card output impedance is a good amount, the frequency response doesn't change like BA drivers would. This is one of the benefits of dynamic drivers, but the negative is that they require greater power than the much more efficient BA drivers. If you are ok with Laptop or PC Realtek sound cards, no need to pay a lot for a DAP for a dynamic drive iem.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #10,251 of 62,439
Me again. Just ordered the "Ayake Silver O5" which basically looks like the Mifo O5 Pro (BA version) for $51 w/ coupon. I had the Mifo O5 standard version and found it to be a bit too warm for my taste. Hopefully, this really is the BA version and the listing photos aren't bogus.

I saw this earlier today. What leads you to believe it's the BA version? I don't see anything that says that. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but to maybe learn something I didn't know or see before. Everything in the description sounds like the Mifo O5 standard, unless I missed something. If it is the BA version, I might pick it up as I've never used a BA IEM before. That would be a killer deal though, being $30 cheaper than the Mifo standard right now on Amazon!

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #10,252 of 62,439
They're running a BA and a DD, so that's hitting the battery life a lot. Hopefully the reality is a little better, we'll see.

Also, keeping those blue LEDs blinking every 3 seconds must cost battery

Personally I don't have an issue with the 3h, but I have other TWE I can use for longer sessions. For those looking for 'the one', I see how this could be a deal breaker.

(Started battery test 20 mins ago, but not sure I can finish it as I might have to skedaddle in 2h or so and won't be around to wait for the end)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #10,253 of 62,439
Pre-ordered WF-1000xm3 from Best Buy, should be shipped by next Monday. Finger crossed.
Watch some Chinese videos comparing WF-1000xm3 with Libratone Track Air+. Seems Sony sounds better, while Air+ more comfortable to wear, and head to head for ANC.
Hmm, Totallydubbed just posted his review (not posting it here, as he got a shady history on Head-Fi), saying Sony is better for ANC, but Air+ has better sound (bass not as deep as Sony but better-controlled). He called it the "definition of true wireless buds."

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #10,254 of 62,439
KZ T1 battery test at 50%

3h in and THIS is the level indicator in iOS right now:

kzt1batt.jpg

looks promising (The 65% is the phone battery, NOT the TWE)

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #10,255 of 62,439
KZ T1 battery test at 50%

3h in and THIS is the level indicator in iOS right now:

looks promising (The 65% is the phone battery, NOT the TWE)
Dang possibly 4.50 hr battery looks 30% at 3hrs. Egag must order. Wait you're almost homeless better wait. :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #10,256 of 62,439
Aaaaaaand the result of my highly scientific battery test on the KZ T1, I started at 7:04 local time.

kzbatt2.jpg

at 50% volume I got the first message 'battery low' after 4h08min. After that it kept repeating every minute, rendering any further listening time useless :) I did not wait for final shut off, but according to product description:

kzbatt3.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #10,257 of 62,439
Aaaaaaand the result of my highly scientific battery test on the KZ T1, I started at 7:04 local time.

at 50% volume I got the first message 'battery low' after 4h08min. After that it kept repeating every minute, rendering any further listening time useless :) I did not wait for final shut off, but according to product description:

Im doing about the same "scientific" test... also wanna try a call to check mic quality.
Is it the best sounding TWS you have?

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #10,258 of 62,439
Is it the best sounding TWS you have?

Right now it feels like it ... but I am very cautious before I make such a statement. Let's for now just say that I have not experienced this kind of audio bliss since when I first checked out the Bose SSF ... i have not done any A/B checks with other TWS ... but I'd say that as much as I enjoy the Mpow and the Tranya as bassy EDM style great for running (and sweatproof) buds, the KZ T1 take a slight step back on the bass, seemingly more refining it and then layer over that a lot of wonderful BA detail in the highs (maybe also mids, still not done much listening on that)

Also impressed that right of the box I got perfect fit with those 'pacifier grade silicone ear tips'

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #10,259 of 62,439
NqqNMux.jpg

Time to hand in my audiophile card? iBasso IT03s on the TRN BT-20s. Connection is rock solid and the BT20s are pretty much transparent. I haven't done a comparison between wired/wireless yet, but used in an outdoor environment, any sonic differences are almost negligible.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #10,260 of 62,439
What would people recommend for a basshead/good subass iem for mostly dnb/house? Currently got the tranya t3 which has really nice subass but the mids are lacking a bit and the highs are slightly too much for me at times. Currently looking at the KZ T1 and NT01AX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back