Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #991 of 62,546
I'm finally giving up on the soundsport frees. While I am a fan of the sq and the fit, I've been through 3 RMAs for various issues ranging from a totally dead earpieces and unbalanced sound from left to right. My 3rd pair died last night when the right piece stopped turning on. Earlier this week they started connecting to my phone while in the charging case. Sadly too many issues. I will give Bose props for excellent customer service as they never give me a hard time.

I have the sp700n and m4utw to keep me tied over. Now need to decide whether to grab 65t active or perhaps wait and see how the audio techina work out? Any other suggestions? I've tried the Run and thought the sq was horrible. I was going to try the iconx 2018 but the fact they only transmit via sbc has me scared off.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #992 of 62,546
The AT stuff looks very good so if your looking for new then I would wait for those. The links above for the 2 IEMs with at new Qualcomm chips look promising as well but I worry about sound quality and vaporware when it comes to startups...

Sep 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #993 of 62,546
I'm realizing more and more than I'm very happy with BeatsX. I don't think Beats should be labeled as overpriced per performance ratio anymore. Just look at the audiophile headphones priced 4-6k?!

So on to the Beoplay E8. I think everything is quite neutral except the treble peak. I think if that treble peak wasn't there, it would be the top truely wireless. However, I feel that the fit didn't provided the peak performance in sound for me (due to my ear canals not being symetric, and the choice of tips and insertion depth possible I believe). I do like the general fit in terms of ergonomics, it's comparable to IconX (which I like the fit of). I like the little case it comes with and the full-length cable (I don't like others coming with short cables), the dark green color. IconX still has the best indicator lights.

I have not run into any connection problems or left and right earpice sync issues on audio playpack like IconX. My experience has been pretty comparable to Jabra in terms of connection reliability.

As for lag, it's very acceptable (there's hardly noticible lag or I'd be really picky if I were to say there were an amount to cause disruption in video watching quality). So, I think AV lag performance is probably the best of it's class of truely wireless comparable to IconX. No lag on my television (except slight on Netflix app, but not on Blu Ray sourced material), and connects quickly without hiccups to my TV BT. Slight noticible on Youtube on PC and smartphone.

So, that 6-7k peak has a bit effect on this pricey in-ear. It's the combination of price $299 (while others are around half) and the treble peak makes it a not so good value.

I found the sound to be very close to Jaybird Run. It's not just my ears.

Jaybird Run

frequency-response-graph (9).png

Beoplay E8

frequency-response-graph (10).png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #994 of 62,546
I'm realizing more and more than I'm very happy with BeatsX. I don't think Beats should be labeled as overpriced per performance ratio anymore. Just look at the audiophile headphones priced 4-6k?! Personally, I found Beats Studio 3 Wireless sound likeable as well.

So on to the Beoplay E8. I think everything is quite neutral except the treble peak. I think if that treble peak wasn't there, it would be the top truely wireless. However, I feel that the fit didn't provided the peak performance in sound for me (due to my ear canals not being symetric, and the choice of tips and insertion depth possible I believe). I do like the general fit in terms of ergonomics, it's comparable to IconX (which I like the fit of). I like the little case it comes with and the full-length cable (I don't like others coming with short cables), the dark green color. IconX still has the best indicator lights.

I have not run into any connection problems or left and right earpice sync issues on audio playpack like IconX. My experience has been pretty comparable to Jabra in terms of connection reliability.

As for lag, it's very exceptable (there's hardly noticible lag or I'd be really picky if I were to say there were an amount to cause disruption in video watching quality). So, I think AV lag performance is probably the best of it's class of truely wireless comparable to IconX. No lag on my television (except slight on Netflix app, but not on Blu Ray sourced material), and connects quickly without hiccups to my TV BT.

So, that 6-7k peak has a bit effect on this pricey in-ear. It's the combination of price $299 (while others are around half) and the treble peak makes it a not so good value.

I found the sound to be very close to Jaybird Run. It's not just my ears.

Jaybird Run

Beoplay E8

B&O are not really noted for being good value, they are one of the first design driven hifi companies and have always commanded a premium price for their name and design but often also some really innovative and cutting edge tech

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #995 of 62,546
I agree 100% I have owned a ton of BT IEMS and Headphones and while many are better technically better in all boils down to if they have a signature you like. The SP700N has an awesome sound that is very reminiscent of the Sony IEMs I have loved in the past such as my defunct XBA-Z5 signature wise. No it doesn't have the best tech such as ApTx but honestly it sounds better than many of the products I own that do have the better technology.

Now I want to be clear this does not mean it is technically as adept as the XBA-Z5 as it simply can not be due to BT limitations but is shares the basic signature of the Z5 and other classic Sony IEMs.

My issue is I like SP700N enough I would like to use it more but its 2.5hr battery life limits using it. If Sony makes a newer model that like this but has more battery life and newer tech I will be all over it.

Battery life is definitely the Sony's achilles heel, although I admit I don't run into that very often since I only use 'em in the gym and they sit in the case all other times.

Fortunately they have AAC which, in my experience, is better than aptX so they sound pretty damn excellent from my phone.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #996 of 62,546
when it comes to true wireless, seems you better stay away from crowdfunding.

Eoz is 6 months late, and at last minute changed from "latest csr 5.0" with apt-x to cheap realtek used in something like sabbat x12.

A quick search discovered it supports sbc and aac. Looks like they are not mentioning aptx.

Then theres Aria, this always looked like an alibaba resell. Down to the watersplash images used.
Promised aptx, they closed surveys and now says aac codec.

Another one is Touch, this one is now sold under many names in asia and backers got nothing. I picked one up in a tmall sale some time ago.

So before jumping on crowdfund tws, just check alibaba or chinese manufacturers like this.

Even the japanese crowdfunding AVIOT TE-D01b looks like it comes straight from the chinese factory.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #997 of 62,546
Battery life is definitely the Sony's achilles heel, although I admit I don't run into that very often since I only use 'em in the gym and they sit in the case all other times.

Fortunately they have AAC which, in my experience, is better than aptX so they sound pretty damn excellent from my phone.

Have you found the charging case flimsy? I have to fiddle with the port to keep the red light on. I returned my first pair for this and now the second pair is doing it. Really garbage charging case from Sony. I expected better. I agree on sound. I'm using aac on bright setting. Really solid.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #999 of 62,546
B&O are not really noted for being good value, they are one of the first design driven hifi companies and have always commanded a premium price for their name and design but often also some really innovative and cutting edge tech
if they were the first of this design, that's innovasion, but there are others out there with this design. For the usage scenario, design is in terms of practicality, not really looks. They have it, but it doesn't distinguish itself, so atleast the SQ must if pricing is of such a significant disparity. SQ doesn't.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,000 of 62,546
if they were the first of this design, that's innovasion, but there are others out there with this design. For the usage scenario, design is in terms of practicality, not really looks. They have it, but it doesn't distinguish itself, so atleast the SQ must if pricing is of such a significant disparity. SQ doesn't.

Design as in looks and I was not specifically talking of the E8 but their entire history

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,003 of 62,546
I'm lucky as I got a new pair for 160.00USD.
Have you played with the App to change the sound? I get a little of the High frequency issue that you had but its really rare for me and I just love the fit and sound.
No, I should do that. I can use the Rtings graph to reduce the treble, but what I hate EQ is not being able to save the EQ for different devices (I hope to see this feature one day). I can't EQ my TV (see the limitations?). Also, I don't find EQ to be a real change of headphone signature, just sounds different to me, like software processed. Some EQ, I've heard autotune like effects like it's going through tonal changes real time and I hear it.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,004 of 62,546
No, I should do that. I can use the Rtings graph to reduce the treble, but what I hate EQ is not being able to save the EQ for different devices (I hope to see this feature one day). I can't EQ my TV (see the limitations?). Also, I don't find EQ to be a real change of headphone signature, just sounds different to me, like software processed. Some EQ, I've heard autotune like effects like it's going through tonal changes real time and I hear it.
I tried using using the Beoplay app EQ which is a bit of joke. It's not a traditional EQ with sliders, but some circle thing with sectioned off into 4 section, and you place the dot into the point that hits the spot in sound for you. Uh, no. B&O can take back their design philosphy that do not align with me. I want real EQ, parametric preferred (but probably not happen since B&O is "design" oriented).

beoplay-app-beolit-17-2-920x785.jpg

I have a question for any BT experts out there. I'm actually considering just going with wired iems with a tiny BT module. Anybody know of a good one that doesn't have a AV lag issue with a connecting device like a smartphone (Android for me)?

I'm going to try out the Shanling M0 which is a bidirectional BT device, and can be used as a receiver to wired headphone BT module. It has aptX and LDAC.

See how small it is? It's actually a DAP as well, and takes in up to 512GB of micro SD storage, and has touch screen. For my needs, it should work fine as long as it doesn't have much AV lag.

M0-3.png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,005 of 62,546
I tried using using the Beoplay app EQ which is a bit of joke. It's not a traditional EQ with sliders, but some circle thing with sectioned off into 4 section, and you place the dot into the point that hits the spot in sound for you. Uh, no. B&O can take back their design philosphy that do not align with me. I want real EQ, parametric preferred (but probably not happen since B&O is "design" oriented).

I have a question for any BT experts out there. I'm actually considering just going with wired iems with a tiny BT module. Anybody know of a good one that doesn't have a AV lag issue with a connecting device like a smartphone (Android for me)?

I'm going to try out the Shanling M0 which is a bidirectional BT device, and can be used as a receiver to wired headphone BT module. It has aptX and LDAC.

See how small it is? It's actually a DAP as well, and takes in up to 512GB of micro SD storage, and has touch screen. For my needs, it should work fine as long as it doesn't have much AV lag.

You can also change the size of the white dot.

If one does not like the B&O design philosophy one should just stay away from their products, they wont change philosophy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back