Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #961 of 62,555
No, not Mobius (I don't believe it has ANC). Just a general question on ANC (if you are really familiar with that area). Does it get rid of low frequency noise on trains/airplanes like the engine better than the best sound isolation (passive).
Yes ANC is amazing for trains airplanes. I don't travel much anymore but if you spend time on trains and planes ANC is absolutely worth the investment. That said some people are sensitive to ANC including me. It creates a weird pressure sensation.

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #962 of 62,555
Yup, significant amount of bass (graph from Rtings), greater than a Beats(X) even. Sony is the one I have yet to try.

Looks like there is another Sony. Sony WF-1000X, looking more compact.

Looking more linear as well.

I tried the WF1000X when it was released and liked its signature but while testing had several dropouts on one ear. So politely said I wanted to think about it. From there I researched the model and TONS of people were having that issue so I passed on that model. I only bought the WF-SP700N because it has mostly fixed that issue according to others and so far my experience if proving that to be true.

That Mobius headphone looks amazing I might end up selling some gear to help buy that one.

If you can live with some wires and the horse shoe the WI-1000X is pretty much the IEM equivalent to the WH-1000XM2 and addresses sound quality and battery life issues that true wireless devices all have. I will be using both as needed. No sense in my wrecking my best pair from sweat while jogging...

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #963 of 62,555
Sep 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #964 of 62,555
Those both look nice. The premium one might be perfect for general use. To bad it doesn't have some minimal water protection.

Hopefully some Canadian stores start to carry these. Bestbuy Canada might as they set up an AT listening station in their stores.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #965 of 62,555
Indeed, the lower profile and better sound/battery of the CKR model is nice but some water protection would be nice. It does rain and snow when you go to work. Hot train you may sweat and those buttons are right towards the top risky moisture getting in.

JVC new XX wireless sounded pretty good. Only 3 hour but it is $150 so street price can certainly be better. Seems the connection is good even in crowded environments and bass boost adjustment on board is cool. Another review, albeit translated, favors the JVC over the SP700 at least in some areas(only a short customer review type thing). Their downfall seems to be no FF or RW :confounded:. Device only track change is pretty inconvenient. Maybe, just maybe, for the US version(not out just yet) they will fix that. I sent a message asking if they might be doing that. Duplicates commands on each side so 2 play/pause and sound modes functions and no FF/RW :frowning2:
Functions XC70BT_DNTXILupjobuke.png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #966 of 62,555
@SilverEars
Why not get the Sony WH1000XM2? They have 30 hours battery life and can be plugged in via 3.5 if battery dies. They have the best noise cancelling on the market. I use mine at work all the time and blocks out all ambient sound so all you hear is the music.
You should also try the B&O E8, they sound amazing! In my short time with BT I have acquired 5 different earbuds/headphones all of which have their pros and cons..

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #967 of 62,555
@SilverEars
Why not get the Sony WH1000XM2? They have 30 hours battery life and can be plugged in via 3.5 if battery dies. They have the best noise cancelling on the market. I use mine at work all the time and blocks out all ambient sound so all you hear is the music.
You should also try the B&O E8, they sound amazing! In my short time with BT I have acquired 5 different earbuds/headphones all of which have their pros and cons..
I tried out a Sony NC wireless at an airport one time, but not entirely sure if it was WH-1000XM2/B (looked the same, but it was half the price so probably not), and wasn't impressed with the sound. I know the non-earphone types have greater battery life due to the size, but my purpose is for fitness usage (so, in-ear is the most ideal option for me). I'm curious about how the WH-1000XM2/B sounds though. Among the several wireless headphones, I thought the Sennheiser wireless sounded right up my alley. I believe it was the Momentum full-sized wireless. Perhaps for NC purpose, Sony has the edge over Sennheiser.

So, I tried out the BeatsX while jogging, and I realized there's low frequency noise caused from my body shifting isn't ideal for critical listening (not that critical listening what I am doing during a jog. LOL.). BeatsX has very good BT connection I feel. It connects reliably and quickly (I had trouble with all BT earphones other than BeatsX to connect to my LG TV upon initial pairing, BeatsX got discovered quickly and connected with no hiccups).

Interestingly, microphonics is the least concern when used for jogging with the cable flung out the way it does due to it's stiffness, it's the body shifting noise that effects the sound really. I think it usually goes for around $100, and it's a good choice for sound value I find. Not the highest battery life given it's bulk (8 hrs advertised, but I heard of 5.5 as well). But, the smooth sound makes up for it, for casual usage. Important thing to keep in mind is, it's not water resistant rated, and the charge plug opening has nothing to plug it closed (it is in the bulk that goes around the base of your neck though, so I can't imagine water getting in there unless you sweat like crazy). I don't forsee me sweating so excessively for to be a problem.

Only thing I'm concerned about BeatsX is forgetting to charge it and realize it too late that battery has drained. With the true-wireless, it goes in a case, so you'd charge it routinely everytime you put it in the case, and works as a reminder to charge the case as well.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #968 of 62,555
I think for flights though (or anything you need to drown out low frequency noise for a long duration), Sony sounds like a top option with it's NC ability and all the many features for convenience. 30 hrs battery for long flights, and all the features it has. I don't know if I want to drop $300 just for flights though. Would be nice if BeatsX had NC as well, but is there in-ear NC in existence and is it comparable to full-sized NC?

What are the different qualities of NC that differentiates top performing to mediocre performers?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #969 of 62,555
I tried out a Sony NC wireless at an airport one time, but not entirely sure if it was WH-1000XM2/B (looked the same, but it was half the price so probably not), and wasn't impressed with the sound. I know the non-earphone types have greater battery life due to the size, but my purpose is for fitness usage (so, in-ear is the most ideal option for me). I'm curious about how the WH-1000XM2/B sounds though. Among the several wireless headphones, I thought the Sennheiser wireless sounded right up my alley. I believe it was the Momentum full-sized wireless. Perhaps for NC purpose, Sony has the edge over Sennheiser.

So, I tried out the BeatsX while jogging, and I realized there's low frequency noise caused from my body shifting isn't ideal for critical listening (not that critical listening what I am doing during a jog. LOL.). BeatsX has very good BT connection I feel. It connects reliably and quickly (I had trouble with all BT earphones other than BeatsX to connect to my LG TV upon initial pairing, BeatsX got discovered quickly and connected with no hiccups).

Interestingly, microphonics is the least concern when used for jogging with the cable flung out the way it does due to it's stiffness, it's the body shifting noise that effects the sound really. I think it usually goes for around $100, and it's a good choice for sound value I find. Not the highest battery life given it's bulk (8 hrs advertised, but I heard of 5.5 as well). But, the smooth sound makes up for it, for casual usage. Important thing to keep in mind is, it's not water resistant rated, and the charge plug opening has nothing to plug it closed (it is in the bulk that goes around the base of your neck though, so I can't imagine water getting in there unless you sweat like crazy). I don't forsee me sweating so excessively for to be a problem.

Only thing I'm concerned about BeatsX is forgetting to charge it and realize it too late that battery has drained. With the true-wireless, it goes in a case, so you'd charge it routinely everytime you put it in the case, and works as a reminder to charge the case as well.
I use the jaybird X3 at the gym for working out only. I use the treadmill and being a 250 lb guy I wasn't built for running so I'm not sure how they be in that respect.
Not to push the issue again but have you tried the B&O E8? They are a great sounding wireless earbud.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #970 of 62,555
I use the jaybird X3 at the gym for working out only. I use the treadmill and being a 250 lb guy I wasn't built for running so I'm not sure how they be in that respect.
Not to push the issue again but have you tried the B&O E8? They are a great sounding wireless earbud.
It's best not to run at that weight. You need to have a strong core(as running need strong core muscles for support) and also the weight will be bad on your knees. It's best to use something that's impact-less like the elliptical for cardio. I think the low frequency noise is caused by foot impact (it's harder during running).

I'm going to have to look into B&O E8 as well, but not motivated at this point as I've given up on true-wireless for now due to connection unreliability.

I just looked at FR from Rtings, and it looks like Bose QC 35 II has better FR than the Sony. Sony probably has more features and better NC. Seems like both are comparable, but I'd have to hear them both to figure out which of the two I prefer and have to test out NC during commuting/flight situations.

Bose QC 35 II

frequency-response-graph (7).png

Sony MDR-1000XM2

frequency-response-graph (8).png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #971 of 62,555
It's best not to run at that weight. You need to have a strong core(as running need strong core muscles for support) and also the weight will be bad on your knees. It's best to use something that's impact-less like the elliptical for cardio. I think the low frequency noise is caused by foot impact (it's harder during running).

I'm going to have to look into B&O E8 as well, but not motivated at this point as I've given up on true-wireless for now due to connection unreliability.

I just looked at FR from Rtings, and it looks like Bose QC 35 II has better FR than the Sony. Sony probably has more features and better NC. Seems like both are comparable, but I'd have to hear them both to figure out which of the two I prefer and have to test out NC during commuting/flight situations.

Bose QC 35 II

Sony MDR-1000XM2

I'm big into bench pressing and upper body(I do work out the legs to so I'm not disproportionate).I do cardio but not big on running as I have a bad knee.
As for Bose v Sony, I was at Bestbuy and went back and forth for awhile seeing which when I wanted more and they both sounded great but the noise cancelling is what really sold me on the Sony.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #972 of 62,555
I'm big into bench pressing and upper body(I do work out the legs to so I'm not disproportionate).I do cardio but not big on running as I have a bad knee.
As for Bose v Sony, I was at Bestbuy and went back and forth for awhile seeing which when I wanted more and they both sounded great but the noise cancelling is what really sold me on the Sony.
Did the Sony NC lower it much greater than Bose?

There's also the new Sony 1000XM3 coming out and I saw a cnet review stating that it has the drivers from Sony MDR 1AM2 and has a new QN1 chip which does the sound processing including NC, and seems like NC performance has improved(with sound performance being better as well), and overall maybe better than QC 35 II as well. I'm gonna hold off for that one.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #973 of 62,555
Something interesting I realized about the BeatsX is that I have generally noticed a difference in sound when connected to my PC via the motherboard's Intel Wireless Bluetooth compared to my Galaxy S8+ bluetooth connection.

The treble sounds more prominant with the PC's Intel Wireless Bluetooth connection, and the bass sounds better controlled. I know it's hard to believe a bluetooth source would effect the sound quality, but if it is really the case I like to find out what it is.

I'm pretty certain that BeatsX sounds best out of my PC's BT connection, and it was through the PC my first impression came with music playback sourced from Foobar2000 software on my PC. I'm impressed how it sounds out the PC, but my Galaxy S8+ with USB Audio Player Pro, no so much (although this playback software seem to sound the best on Android devices to me).

I've noticed this with other BT earphones I've tried as well, and Jaybird Run was the most noticeable one (it sounded best with BT connection to the intel BT module on the PC), but I find BeatsX sounds the best of all I've tried.

This is opposite of what I'm looking for, I'm not carrying around my desktop PC with a car battery. LOL.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #974 of 62,555
@SilverEars - you're likely not imagining things, there is a difference in the BT codec implementations and I've noticed this most pronounced with SBC; using the same headphone but different sources, I've heard both really poor implementations and really good ones that were nearly indistinguishable between AAC/aptX. Try to see if you can check which codec is in use with your Intel vs. S8+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back