Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 29, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #9,856 of 62,400
Probably due to increased costs and complexities, and size constraints.... Means you have to have separate storage soldered on and a more complex chipset that can decide and process the files. Not to mention an interface for loading those songs to begin with.

Until chipset manufacturers start combining all of that into a single chipset, you won't see many implementations from Chi-Fi TWE's.

Really sad that Galaxy buds threw this feature away.

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #9,857 of 62,400
I'll update on my experience with the Backbay Duet 50. IPX 5 and I have been cooling of under the sprinkler fountain at the park with no ill effects :) Wind noise is not an issue and bone conduction isn't loud at all and no bother with music or podcasts playing. Aptx and thr right tips will get very solid sound out of them well worth the under $40 price tag. I'll not that they have independent volume control. Not all my BT5/0 stuff does and just turns the player volume. So, I can indeed lower the MP3 player volume down and put the battery strain more on the earbuds. Useful for me when a device states 6 hours of BT and That isn't even combining FM reception and then BT broadcasting which I do at times.

I like the fit. They can lean out a bit at the top with bigger tips, that I recc. for the better sound but then I can do the thumb forefinger pinch to press the button and not do the push the buds in thing. Much better this way! I get the double beep signal when top volume is reached and the other beep to tell you to let go when you FF or RW. They have behaved without issue as well.

Only real issue is that bigger tips are better but they don't fit in the case easily. A little push is needed and you can just drop them in with the magnetic force. Softer large tips like Sony hybrids will turn inside out upon removal from the case which is an annoyance.

Solid for there price and are keepers for me. If they did upgrade to an $99 model with their EQ built in, even better sound, and over double digit battery life I would be interested after my experience with the Duet 50. For now the Duet 50 will certainly be fine to hold me over till some such better models come forth with more features. Provided the Duet 50 hold up which we'll see since you can long term test after a week.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note what about modified SBC(mSBC0 and SBC XQ???

"Bluetooth SBC Dual Channel HD audio mode (SBC XQ)
renderTimingPixel.png

LineageOS 15.1 and 16.0 bring a unique audio quality enhancement to the stock Bluetooth SBC audio codec. It introduces support for SBC Dual Channel mode with the eXtreme quality profile (SBC XQ), bumping this old codec’s audio quality to levels on par with Qualcomm’s proprietary codec - aptX HD.

An additional “HD Audio: SBC” checkbox is available in users’ Bluetooth audio device settings, as long as they are running a LineageOS 15.1 build created on or after the 31st of March 2019, or a 16.0 build created on or after the 13th of May 2019. Enabling this setting will toggle the Dual Channel mode, which offers an improved bitrate much higher than the one available in the stock SBC codec. The new bitrate of 452 or 551 kbps depends on the Bluetooth device’s maximum Enhanced Data Rate and is a clear upgrade from the stock 328 kbps when using Joint Stereo mode.

The feature is available on all devices with LineageOS support, and can be used by the overwhelming majority of existing Bluetooth playback devices. It works best with cheaper audio devices that do not support additional codecs - aptX, aptX HD, AAC or LDAC."

Would seem to pretty cool to take advantage of SBC since we all know it is capable of higher bitrate and would seem to make sense like it says above for cheaper devices which don't pay for the rights to aptX and such. Just don't know how much we will see this. i did see a couple of headphones just being released listing support for both SBC and mSBC.

I do use SBC HD and can confirm its noticiably better, but I just found out what its about in your message, thanks.

Probably thats the reason I never cared much about APTX, the difference I found to be minimal.

By the way NEVER turn the volume down in the device and up in the earphone, you will inevitably reduce the signal to noise ratio and amplify the noise.

Imagine you want the volume at 10, the background noise is "1", and your device is playing "10", the signal is 10 times higher than the noise, if you reduce the volume, the noise level will almost not change... So if you turn down the devices volume to "2", the signal will be just double the noise... Amplify that in the earphone and you will end up with the signal volume at 10 and the noise at 5.

You will also reduce your dynamic range... Avoiding that is the bigger advantage of modern BT linking the devices volume, apart from being more practical.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #9,860 of 62,400
Sad news...had to return the RHA TrueConnect. Sound was really good, but fit, man, horrible. I could get a seal, BUT, they were so bulbous, they would shift around and I'd have to continually adjust. Oh, and the call quality was not as advertised; everyone heard an echo and said it was distracting. At the gym, they kept moving around and I literally lost my mind (although I did get that extra rep!).

In it's place, I ordered the Creative Outlier Air, and let me just say, not disappointed at all. They have a great sound signature that's smooth and kind of reminds me of Sony's house sound. The fit is great as well, however, I'm not a fan of the buttons (have to jam them in a bit when pressing). Overall, I'd recommend them over the RHA.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #9,861 of 62,400
Jul 29, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #9,862 of 62,400
Sad news...had to return the RHA TrueConnect. Sound was really good, but fit, man, horrible. I could get a seal, BUT, they were so bulbous, they would shift around and I'd have to continually adjust. Oh, and the call quality was not as advertised; everyone heard an echo and said it was distracting. At the gym, they kept moving around and I literally lost my mind (although I did get that extra rep!).

In it's place, I ordered the Creative Outlier Air, and let me just say, not disappointed at all. They have a great sound signature that's smooth and kind of reminds me of Sony's house sound. The fit is great as well, however, I'm not a fan of the buttons (have to jam them in a bit when pressing). Overall, I'd recommend them over the RHA.
Yep. Exact issue I had. Too bad. Really nice sq on those.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #9,863 of 62,400
So... I may not be an audio engineer but I'm reasonably certain that's not how it works. Given BT volume control between source and buds are purely digital, though you set the source volume lower and crank up the earbuds, it ultimately still only affects the earbuds' battery life (happy to be proven wrong by those in the know though :beyersmile:)

i don't know, but to me outputting the same amount of volume, whether the volume are {for instance} 20% on the phone, and 80% on the TWS, or the opposite : 80% phone and 20% on TWS, i think it would result the same in battery consumption.

By the way NEVER turn the volume down in the device and up in the earphone, you will inevitably reduce the signal to noise ratio and amplify the noise.

Imagine you want the volume at 10, the background noise is "1", and your device is playing "10", the signal is 10 times higher than the noise, if you reduce the volume, the noise level will almost not change... So if you turn down the devices volume to "2", the signal will be just double the noise... Amplify that in the earphone and you will end up with the signal volume at 10 and the noise at 5.

You will also reduce your dynamic range... Avoiding that is the bigger advantage of modern BT linking the devices volume, apart from being more practical.

yes, i agree on this. for the best signal to noise ratio, try to put the volume on the phone ideally to maximum. unless, of course, you eant to "warm up" the sound a bit and intentionally introduce a slight noise to the sound, then just mix and balance the amount of volume between the phone and the TWS.

i usually put 100% volume on my phone when using bluetooth DACs like my ES100 or BlueDAC, because those bluetooth DACs have great volume step control.

but when using TWS, i usually put my phone volume about 70-80% so i can have a bit of control from the phone if i want to increase the volume a bit

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #9,864 of 62,400
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #9,865 of 62,400
I'll update on my experience with the Backbay Duet 50. IPX 5 and I have been cooling of under the sprinkler fountain at the park with no ill effects :) Wind noise is not an issue and bone conduction isn't loud at all and no bother with music or podcasts playing. Aptx and thr right tips will get very solid sound out of them well worth the under $40 price tag. I'll not that they have independent volume control. Not all my BT5/0 stuff does and just turns the player volume. So, I can indeed lower the MP3 player volume down and put the battery strain more on the earbuds. Useful for me when a device states 6 hours of BT and That isn't even combining FM reception and then BT broadcasting which I do at times.

I like the fit. They can lean out a bit at the top with bigger tips, that I recc. for the better sound but then I can do the thumb forefinger pinch to press the button and not do the push the buds in thing. Much better this way! I get the double beep signal when top volume is reached and the other beep to tell you to let go when you FF or RW. They have behaved without issue as well.

Only real issue is that bigger tips are better but they don't fit in the case easily. A little push is needed and you can just drop them in with the magnetic force. Softer large tips like Sony hybrids will turn inside out upon removal from the case which is an annoyance.

Solid for there price and are keepers for me. If they did upgrade to an $99 model with their EQ built in, even better sound, and over double digit battery life I would be interested after my experience with the Duet 50. For now the Duet 50 will certainly be fine to hold me over till some such better models come forth with more features. Provided the Duet 50 hold up which we'll see since you can long term test after a week.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note what about modified SBC(mSBC0 and SBC XQ???

"Bluetooth SBC Dual Channel HD audio mode (SBC XQ)
renderTimingPixel.png

LineageOS 15.1 and 16.0 bring a unique audio quality enhancement to the stock Bluetooth SBC audio codec. It introduces support for SBC Dual Channel mode with the eXtreme quality profile (SBC XQ), bumping this old codec’s audio quality to levels on par with Qualcomm’s proprietary codec - aptX HD.

An additional “HD Audio: SBC” checkbox is available in users’ Bluetooth audio device settings, as long as they are running a LineageOS 15.1 build created on or after the 31st of March 2019, or a 16.0 build created on or after the 13th of May 2019. Enabling this setting will toggle the Dual Channel mode, which offers an improved bitrate much higher than the one available in the stock SBC codec. The new bitrate of 452 or 551 kbps depends on the Bluetooth device’s maximum Enhanced Data Rate and is a clear upgrade from the stock 328 kbps when using Joint Stereo mode.

The feature is available on all devices with LineageOS support, and can be used by the overwhelming majority of existing Bluetooth playback devices. It works best with cheaper audio devices that do not support additional codecs - aptX, aptX HD, AAC or LDAC."

Would seem to pretty cool to take advantage of SBC since we all know it is capable of higher bitrate and would seem to make sense like it says above for cheaper devices which don't pay for the rights to aptX and such. Just don't know how much we will see this. i did see a couple of headphones just being released listing support for both SBC and mSBC.
I am also very pleased with my Back Bay Duet 50. Probably the best fitting of any of my TWS buds. I also like the fact that most of my tip collection can fit the stems while still fitting in the charging case. Most importantly, they sound really fine. A steal at the going price!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #9,866 of 62,400

Are you planning on picking up the new Sony WH1000XM3 TWS? They look really nice and the reviews have been good so far. I'm thinking of getting them I just want someone that has both the first one and the new one to see if the volume is louder on the new one. I always thought the first one was loud enough but in noisy situations I want that extra few clicks.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #9,867 of 62,400
Totally agree, the Tranya T3 are a fantastic buy. Especially if you can find them on sale.

Have you tried the Mpow T5? Just reviewed those and really enjoying their sound (listening to them right this moment actually)

How is Mpow T5 compares to Tranya T3? I really don't care for bass but wants more clarity and details as I am using the buds
mostly for training videos, not music.

Jul 29, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #9,868 of 62,400
What would be wireless ear bud with the following aspects?

1. good run time
2. small and comfortable
3. good isolation or noise canceling
4. NO BASS with ultra clarity intended for hearing voice (movies and audio books).
5. battery indicator either on earbuds or base station to know battery level.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #9,869 of 62,400
How is Mpow T5 compares to Tranya T3? I really don't care for bass but wants more clarity and details as I am using the buds
mostly for training videos, not music.

Then the Mpow T5 would be the better choice between those two. Check out my review in the signature.

Edit: Actually in that case check out balanced armature ones - highly recommend mifo O5 Professional.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back