Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 5, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #8,191 of 62,587
True, but based on my experience ANC like the full-sized XM3 beats ER4 in a very high noise environments. That's how good the ANC is. This is for low frequencies of course, and that's most practical for me because the usage will be in planes to drown out engine noise. And I really like light compact small formfactors when out and about. I don't like to walk around with bulky full-sized.

Once a good ANC is implimented with good enough sound, it will be my practical iem for all usage other than for SQ.

yes, using the XM3 in a noisy place and turning the ANC on is trippy good. too bad the sound signature is not my liking.

if this mark 3 sounds like the first gen, i might jump in and buy

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #8,192 of 62,587
I hope that is true! If that is true, I'm looking forward to a TW with ANC. The biggest feature I'm looking for. The performance of the ANC has to be worthwhile with good battery life.

ANC has to beat passive noise isolation of ER4. Only then is the iem ANC worthwhile.

Have to respectfully disagree. The tri-flanges and deep isolation are incredibly uncomfortable, for at least a subset of people, including me.

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #8,193 of 62,587
yes, using the XM3 in a noisy place and turning the ANC on is trippy good. too bad the sound signature is not my liking.

if this mark 3 sounds like the first gen, i might jump in and buy
Bass is a bit much, but I'd take it's bass response over Beats Studio bass any day. I like the upper frequencies more than QC35 however.

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #8,194 of 62,587
Bass is a bit much, but I'd take it's bass response over Beats Studio bass any day. I like the upper frequencies more than QC35 however.

yup, the midbass is a bit much for my taste, and the overall sound is too warm. but still, not a bad bass per se

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #8,195 of 62,587
I've run quite a few passive vs ANC isolation tests on transatlantic flights, notably with the Klipsch S4 that isolate as much as the ER4 in my experience (double-flange and deap insertion) vs the QNC15, and it's pretty close. ANC does better on the bottom end of the spectrum but not as well on the top end or voices. The advantage of course if the lack of deep insertion that will irritate all ears after a while. What works well too are standard TWEs, even better with isolating ones like the 65t, with Peltor Earmufs, even the smaller (yellow model) Optime I.

The Bose QC20 have practically zero passive isolation but a great ANC that just filters out the noise and makes for a peaceful listening but will not help with people talking nearby. The new Sony's will probably do better since they have to have better passive isolation. The Japanese guys didn't seem to be too impressed though based on the translated captions.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #8,196 of 62,587
That would be something ! The Japanese guys seem to be saying that the isolation is not very good in the first place, hence the "so so" results ? There could be something lost in the translation of course.
It's mind boggling that CNET had nothing to say about that aspect, seems impossible that they didn't test it...

I just watched the video (I speak Japanese), and on the contrary, he said the isolation was very good if you can get a good fit, enough that you almost don't need the noise cancelling. He rated the noise cancelling function as being about 90% of the WH1000X-M2 (over ears), but the passive isolation to be much better.

He said the sound was good with a 3d soundstage, but that the instrument separation wasn't as crisp as it could be, and compared it to various kinds of fried rice, and said it was like a moist fried rice that sticks together, and not a dryer fried rice that is crispy. I guess the bass probably adds weight and hurts imaging (?). He rated the sound as top class right now for TWE.

He also said the connection was great (on e-earphones it says they use a class 1 bluetooth chip) and that connecting to a source was extremely fast.

His complaint was that to get a good fit, you need to use both hands to push the ear back and twist it in, and the touch buttons that get activated when you are trying to get them to fit in properly.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #8,197 of 62,587
Good news thanks, the translated subtitles probably got confused over the "difficult to get a good fit" part :wink: I had the same problem with the MkI, I had to dig out some old Sony "hybride" (with foam inside) tips to get a good seal, the new hybrids and the silicone's didn't work.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #8,198 of 62,587
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #8,199 of 62,587
Not sure, I like the look of the D42's better and they have a better rating on Amazon than the 360. I can't return the 359's and they aren't available on amazon anymore. looks like the battery life is only 3.5 compared to the 359/360's 4-4.5 hours. I really like my 359's but no matter what tips I use they always dig into my ears when i'm pressing on the button i'm hoping the D42 design will be better. I don't know how legit it is but I read a review comparison between the two and because I listen to mostly podcasts it seems the D42's will be better for me. https://nerdtechy.com/anbes-359-d42-review

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #8,200 of 62,587
Sorry to hear... But looking forward to the comparison!

I also saw this Anbes that looks like it may be a 359 v2.
C$ 35.74 21%OFF | ANBES 358 Bluetooth Earphone Mini Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones Wireless Earphones Hands-free Headset For iPhone Xiaomi Samsung
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b7mPXLo4
That appears to be the 358, it's a sport headphone in a silicon covered housing, looks neat, but there is not volume control. The 360 was/is the successor of the 359, and the D42 is the newest earbud Anbes makes. from this comparison it sounds like the sound is similar to the 359 but with more pronounced vocals. https://nerdtechy.com/anbes-359-d42-review

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #8,202 of 62,587
New True Wireless, ANC earphone from Sony. $230 and seems pretty intriguing despite the absence of higher resolution codecs.

The same chip that is is responsible for 24-bit digital-to-audio conversion and noise cancellation as in the WH-1000XM3 (highly regarded)

Bluetooth 5.0
USB Type C
SBC and AAC only
6 + 18 hours of battery life with ANC.
Ambient noise support

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-unveils-wf-1000xm3-truly-wireless-noise-cancelling-earbuds

Being an iPhone is my primary device, I'm good with AAC. I also have an s8, but I do wonder if AAC implementation on Sony's line of phones is better than the competition.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #8,204 of 62,587
Not sure, I like the look of the D42's better and they have a better rating on Amazon than the 360. I can't return the 359's and they aren't available on amazon anymore. looks like the battery life is only 3.5 compared to the 359/360's 4-4.5 hours. I really like my 359's but no matter what tips I use they always dig into my ears when i'm pressing on the button i'm hoping the D42 design will be better. I don't know how legit it is but I read a review comparison between the two and because I listen to mostly podcasts it seems the D42's will be better for me. https://nerdtechy.com/anbes-359-d42-review
Are you in the US? Why not order the kissral on amazon it's on sale for $32. I have a friend who loves the 359 and wanted a backup, but they were sold out and he ordered the kissral. Looking forward to his review.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #8,205 of 62,587

Users who are viewing this thread

Back