Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 22, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #7,051 of 62,552
I thought you all might find this article interesting, since many of these TWs offer AAC:

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/
Nice read. Seems to follow my real-world experiences. For aptX and LDAC, I use my Galaxy s8, but anything AAC, I always use my iPhone Xs Max.

However, they seem to imply SBC is superior to AAC. I can't jump on that bandwagon. Not everything shows up on a frequency response graph.

"Frequency cutoff varies widely from device to device with AAC. None of them approach Hi-Res—as expected—but AAC doesn’t reach frequencies high enough to match CD quality, LDAC or standard Bluetooth’s SBC in any instance. That’s concerning for anyone who prizes audio quality over convenience."

May 22, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,053 of 62,552
Nice read. Seems to follow my real-world experiences. For aptX and LDAC, I use my Galaxy s8, but anything AAC, I always use my iPhone Xs Max.

However, they seem to imply SBC is superior to AAC. I can't jump on that bandwagon. Not everything shows up on a frequency response graph.

"Frequency cutoff varies widely from device to device with AAC. None of them approach Hi-Res—as expected—but AAC doesn’t reach frequencies high enough to match CD quality, LDAC or standard Bluetooth’s SBC in any instance. That’s concerning for anyone who prizes audio quality over convenience."

Yeah, I disagree with that statement also. Every piece of gear I've ever had that was SBC sounds noticeably degraded, like listening to MP3s ripped at 128k.

May 22, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #7,054 of 62,552
Currently have the QCY T2S. They sound nice, but can be a little too quiet at max volume. Are the Anbes 359 louder? How about the Syllable S101?
Yes the 359 are loud. I'll let you know about the S101 in about two weeks or so.

May 23, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #7,055 of 62,552
Currently have the QCY T2S. They sound nice, but can be a little too quiet at max volume. Are the Anbes 359 louder? How about the Syllable S101?

I found them noticeably quieter than my Advanced Model X (which are great btw). It could be that the latter earphones isolate better, but to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the Anbes. Had to have volume set to over 80% to hear music well while walking but even then, the Anbes were seriously lacking in detail and were not engaging or fun. Very muddled.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #7,056 of 62,552

try unpair it/ forget from the phone and pair it again.. does the first time it pair the volume is high enough, but after putting it back in the case and reconnect it again,the volume suddenly more quiet?

May 23, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #7,057 of 62,552
I just bought myself a Cowin KY02, looks like neat little TWS buds

Did you receive them yet? What are your impressions? And where did you get them?

What always puzzles me: Those came across my AliX search today for the very first time, but obviously they have been around for 2 - 3 weeks, as I see people are getting them now and leaving reviews. How come I have not seen them before and what else is out there eluding my random searches :)

May 23, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #7,058 of 62,552
Yeah, I disagree with that statement also. Every piece of gear I've ever had that was SBC sounds noticeably degraded, like listening to MP3s ripped at 128k.
True, but I suspect it is more a sloppy execution of SBC and artificial limitations. This post deals with tweaking SBC on Android to get it to sound closer if not better than AptX (with less dynamic range compression).
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/improve-bluetooth-audio-quality-t3832615

From what I've tried so far Bluetooth speakers tend to do better than headphones for SBC. I also think Android's SBC sounds worse than my laptop's (ASUS Zenbook with BT 5.0 AC 9560). I had a hard time distinguishing between SBC sound on the laptop vs AAC on my phone (although SBC on the phone sounds bad). Astrotec S60 is also more prone to clipping issues using my phone and less so on laptop (still a tad more distorted than AAC though).

May 23, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #7,060 of 62,552
Did you receive them yet? What are your impressions? And where did you get them?

What always puzzles me: Those came across my AliX search today for the very first time, but obviously they have been around for 2 - 3 weeks, as I see people are getting them now and leaving reviews. How come I have not seen them before and what else is out there eluding my random searches :)

They are quite nice to be honest. Solid fit, i’m able to push them loud enough for my needs. Solid bass, not completely flat but also not boomy. Mids are quite recessed though, highs are alright.

Controls could be better, would’ve liked more responsive touch controls. Charging case feels solid, nice and weighty with USB-C charging. Solid Bluetooth performance so far.

May 23, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #7,061 of 62,552
True, but I suspect it is more a sloppy execution of SBC and artificial limitations.

Good point. My Xiaomi Bluetooth receivers and Meizu EP52 use SBC, and they both sound very good. I’m sure there’s differences with the hardware and exact SBC implementation

May 23, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #7,062 of 62,552
FYI, Amazon USA has Nuarl Nt01ax available for $160 https://www.amazon.com/NUARL-Earphones-Microphone-NT01AX-BM-BlackMetallic【Japan/dp/B07QK89X59/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=2VXCALS78SXQS&keywords=nuarl+nt01ax&qid=1558532538&s=gateway&sprefix=nuarl+,aps,128&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

I'm hesitating to buy them since they look a bit bulky, and the isolation is just OK from what I learned here. Could anyone comment on how their size and isolation compared with MW07 and Anbes 359? I'm not worrying about the SQ since I already know they're my type.

I went to sleep with these in last night. Looking in the mirror, they stick out a little bit but I think they look fine. In terms of bulk I don't think they're very different from MW07. I'm a side-sleeper and had no problem. I found the isolation to be up with the best of them.

May 23, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #7,063 of 62,552
So, finally decided to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Buds ("Sound by AKG") after returning the Audio-Technica ATH-CKR7TW, which I felt were overpriced for what you got (I picked them up for $199).

Going into it, I actually had low expectations for the Samsung Galaxy Buds, which I thought would sound shrill and cheap, based on my experience with prior Samsung efforts. To my pleasant surprise, they have a clean, balanced sound and a surprisingly comfortable, secure, and airtight fit. Downloading the app and setting the EQ to "Dynamic", sort of turns it into a "W" shape signature, since the mids to me already sound a bit forward (but good). Vocals sound great, as well as guitar and other mid-centric instruments. They support AAC and Samsung's Scalable Codec. As touched on just above, AAC on iOS sounds noticeably better, as does the Scalable Codec vs. AAC on Android. When toggling to AAC on Android, it sounds dull and uninspiring. AAC on iOS sounds faceslappingly awesome.

Didn't really think I'd care for the Qi Wireless Charging, but it's more handy than I thought it would be. Hanven't tried calls yet, but I'll give that a shot today.

Picked them up for $103 and they are a great value at that price.

Also, I just ordered the Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo today. Anyone have any feedback on those so far?

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #7,065 of 62,552

Users who are viewing this thread

Back