Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 14, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #6,841 of 62,552
May 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #6,843 of 62,552
Anyone hear about the Earin M3 release date? Or any info on it. I will be definitely purchase these when they come available.

I’ve not even seen any rumors yet. The only thing I would actually like would be longer battery life, other than that the M2 fullfill all my true wireless needs

May 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #6,846 of 62,552

At $90, it's probably a good bet. They left Aptx off I believe and are getting roasted about that. Soundguys has complained that AAC over Android generally sucks compared to ios. They posted a cool graph in their powerbeats pro review on the topic. Drop confirmed it's a new driver set up over the BeFree model that launched as a very mediocre product. I'm on the fence. It's a long wait and they could be a lot of compelling options in the second half of the year. I find that with massdrop stuff you can almost always pick one up in the classified for at or near the massdrop price immediately after launch so committing early doesn't always make sense.

May 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #6,848 of 62,552
May 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6,849 of 62,552
Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #6,850 of 62,552
I just picked up a pair of MW07, i really like them, but when I'm watching YouTube videos on my ipad there seems to be a noticeable lag. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I hear that lag is pretty common with truly wireless earbuds, but I guess I was just expecting everything to work perfectly due to the steep price tag. I mostly use earbuds late at night as to not disturb my gf, so maybe I should just get airpods, since I'm usually just watching YT videos, netflix, etc.

I really wanted to love the MW07, but the low battery life and the lag makes me think that I should just get something else. Anyone experiencing lag while watching YouTube?

May 14, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #6,851 of 62,552
FWIW, my daily driver these days is the Syllable S101, which can be had via AliExpress for about $30. They have aptX, AAC, IPX6, 7-10 hours of battery life on the bud (depending, I suppose, on if your source is BT 5.0), another five? or so charges in the case, dual drivers (a first, I think, for totally wireless buds), better than average outgoing call quality (apparently there are four mics that, as with the Jabras, help reduce outgoing background noise during calls), and a reliable connection (at least with the iPhone XS). The form factor is a bit strange, but they fit wonderfully with great isolation — and, most importantly, they sound wonderful to my ears.

For comparison, I also have the Sennheiser MTWs, the Jabra 65ts, the RHA TrueConnects, the Anbes 369s, and the MPOW T5s — but the Syllables are the ones I reach for most often. I just bought (and returned) the Powerbeats Pros — they just didn’t fit my right ear (I tried every tip I have), and since the tips are supposed to sit toward the outside of your ear canal, they provide barely any more isolation than the AirPods. Since I would have been using them on the subway every morning, they just didn’t work for me. Very disappointing, because the feature set is cool, and they sounded terrific in a quiet room (for about 10 minutes, until my right ear would start to hurt).

May 14, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #6,852 of 62,552
FWIW, my daily driver these days is the Syllable S101, which can be had via AliExpress for about $30. They have aptX, AAC, IPX6, 7-10 hours of battery life on the bud (depending, I suppose, on if your source is BT 5.0), another five? or so charges in the case, dual drivers (a first, I think, for totally wireless buds), better than average outgoing call quality (apparently there are four mics that, as with the Jabras, help reduce outgoing background noise during calls), and a reliable connection (at least with the iPhone XS). The form factor is a bit strange, but they fit wonderfully with great isolation — and, most importantly, they sound wonderful to my ears.

For comparison, I also have the Sennheiser MTWs, the Jabra 65ts, the RHA TrueConnects, the Anbes 369s, and the MPOW T5s — but the Syllables are the ones I reach for most often. I just bought (and returned) the Powerbeats Pros — they just didn’t fit my right ear (I tried every tip I have), and since the tips are supposed to sit toward the outside of your ear canal, they provide barely any more isolation than the AirPods. Since I would have been using them on the subway every morning, they just didn’t work for me. Very disappointing, because the feature set is cool, and they sounded terrific in a quiet room (for about 10 minutes, until my right ear would start to hurt).
Definitely looks very compelling for the price. They basically look to be the same as these guys: https://www.amazon.com/KNZ-Technology-KNZSNDFLXBLK-Dual-Driver-Headphones/dp/B07JN92X1C/

How's the latency? Some reviews on Amazon indicate it's not very good. Any case drain issues (earbuds turn themselves on when the case loses charge)? Have you confirmed aptX and AAC? Some Chi-Fi indicate they have one or the other, but they don't. Since I have Android devices sitting around here (LG G6, Galaxy s8), I check the codec in Developer Options.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #6,853 of 62,552

how's the S101 sound compared to your other TWS? also would you mind taking a picture of it while on the ear? I'm curious about how much it would stick out.

May 14, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #6,854 of 62,552
Definitely looks very compelling for the price. They basically look to be the same as these guys: https://www.amazon.com/KNZ-Technology-KNZSNDFLXBLK-Dual-Driver-Headphones/dp/B07JN92X1C/

How's the latency? Some reviews on Amazon indicate it's not very good. Any case drain issues (earbuds turn themselves on when the case loses charge)? Have you confirmed aptX and AAC? Some Chi-Fi indicate they have one or the other, but they don't. Since I have Android devices sitting around here (LG G6, Galaxy s8), I check the codec in Developer Options.

The Syllable S101s certainly share a form factor and case with the KNZs, but I don't think the innards are at all alike. The S101s purport to use a Qualcomm 3020 chip, which I think is newer than would have been available to the KNZs. The S101s don't have built in equalizer options (at least the manual doesn't mention any, and I can't imagine the button presses that would work for that, since all likely button options are already taken). Some of the reviews for the KNZs are brutal -- particularly around battery life. I've been using the S101s for over three hours at the moment, and my phone is reporting that they have 80% battery remaining. That seems normal for them. I also haven't had issues with the case draining -- but, in full disclosure, I usually plug the case in when I get home. The Amazon listing for the KNZs is very short on specs, so it's hard to know what you're getting.

Latency on the S101s is a mixed bag, and seems to depend on the app you're using. YoutubeTV, Netflix and Hulu are all fine -- no noticeable lag. Similarly, Roku's "Private Listening" feature works well, without lag. Youtube (as opposed to YoutubeTV) is bad. I think some apps just correct for latency.

And yes, I can confirm AAC on an iPhone (having checked via the Console app trick on an iMac) and both AAC and aptX, depending on the Bluetooth Explorer settings on the iMac.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #6,855 of 62,552
how's the S101 sound compared to your other TWS? also would you mind taking a picture of it while on the ear? I'm curious about how much it would stick out.

They sound great to me. Overall warm sound, great bass, clear treble. The Sennheisers sound better, but these are very good. The RHAs are different, not necessarily better -- but it's really a matter of taste. Also, an IEM's sound is soooo dependent on fit and seal, which is personal to the listener (and the tips being used). I don't use these for critical listening at home because I have full sized headphones for that -- but for a truly wireless earphone, they more than get the job done. Again, great isolation (with large tips).

There are lots of pictures, including one in someone's ear, at the UK Amazon site: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones...s101&qid=1557873833&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

(That Amazon listing claims 12 hours battery life and IPX7 -- that may be overstating things, but I'm not going swimming with them in any event.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back