Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 13, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #6,827 of 62,437
BTW, this Apple dev explains how to verify iOS for codecs used:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how...n-ios-device-and-bluetooth-headphones.835289/

I own (2) BT20, but unfortunately no Mac so I can’t verify for myself. So I just have to take the word of the Reddit user and another HeadFi member who said they “verified” it uses AAC.

TRN does not state what codec is used in any of their marketing. So to truly “verify” the codec, you’d have to connect to your Mac or else use the iOS method. This is what I assume those 2 people did.

May 13, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #6,828 of 62,437
@Slater I was able to verify aac option using android and logging the bt.

For a while now I've wondered what Codec my BT20's were using with my old Samsung Note 4. Unlike newer versions of Android, I don't have the option to select or see what audio codec is being used in developer options (if enabled).

Downloaded wireshark (it's a free program) and made a bluetooth hci log on the Note 4 to see. Turns out it's using SBC at 328kbs (44.1khz) and further digging to check the SBC bitpool showed a bitpool size of 53 which confirms this.

Interestingly enough, the BT20 did report it had APT-X capability in the log. I don't currently have a way to try and force it to use it, to see if it will actually work.

May 13, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #6,830 of 62,437
May 13, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #6,832 of 62,437
Anybody tried the Tannoy Life Buds? Looks promising but can't find a review yet.

May 13, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #6,833 of 62,437
Just got the Mifo O5's so far it's impressive....

May 14, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #6,834 of 62,437
Fatal flaw though, earhooks.
What? These don't have earhooks. They're just downright bulky and can hardly be considered "IEMs".

Anyways, it seems with the onset of TWS, casual listeners are back to calling everything "true wireless earbuds" not "true wireless IEMs". Makes it harder to search for things online.

EDIT: Astrotec has posted a new photo of their new TWS case which has linen fabric and metal. I just hope it's not far more pricey than the S60.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #6,835 of 62,437
Mee Audio X10. Bright sound signature, vocal and mid focused, lean quick bass. Not for bass head. AAC codec on my phone. LED light does not blink when in use. Left is Creative Outlier Air and right is Mee Audio X10. Similar form factor which is very comfortable on my ears. Spinfit cp350 tips works well on them, I get a better fit with the Spinfit tips.

dyoh0g.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #6,836 of 62,437
Does anyone happen to know any similar TWS that has transparent hearing/hearthrough feature. I been addicted ordering TWS earphones but realize that I don't want to disrespect my coworkers by having both earphones in and have them repeat what they say lol. I know I could just use one ear piece for mono but just seeing the options

May 14, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #6,837 of 62,437
Does anyone happen to know any similar TWS that has transparent hearing/hearthrough feature. I been addicted ordering TWS earphones but realize that I don't want to disrespect my coworkers by having both earphones in and have them repeat what they say lol. I know I could just use one ear piece for mono but just seeing the options
Sennheiser, Apple and new beats have this feature. Lots of others as well. Should be easy to find a pair. I’ve found it doesn’t work very well on most.

May 14, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #6,838 of 62,437
Sennheiser, Apple and new beats have this feature. Lots of others as well. Should be easy to find a pair. I’ve found it doesn’t work very well on most.

Yeah I have the Sennheiser TWS and it's really sensitive. Too bad I can't adjust the settings but I'm searching for smaller forms and trying to be more discreet about it without looking like Frankenstein lol . I know I can't find the perfect product but my go-to at the moments are Mavin Air-X and the anbes 359

May 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #6,839 of 62,437
These days I have been getting irritated by my TWE sets. Maybe I use too many sets with too many different sources (2 TWE sets a dap and a phone), but they have a hard time auto pairing, and manually doing it seems to take forever! I even had to reset completely the Sabbats the other day to get them to pair.

In a rush the other day I just grabbed the ES100 and in a flash it instantly paired to both my phone and dap at once, even though I hadn't used it in weeks.

May 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #6,840 of 62,437
Yeah I have the Sennheiser TWS and it's really sensitive. Too bad I can't adjust the settings but I'm searching for smaller forms and trying to be more discreet about it without looking like Frankenstein lol . I know I can't find the perfect product but my go-to at the moments are Mavin Air-X and the anbes 359
Jabra 65t also has this. And you can config transparency level via the app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back