Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #663 of 62,670
What is the useful life of these wireless IEM’s? All of these IEM’s run on battery. I do not believe the battery is replaceable. If you cannot replace the battery, what do you get? Three years tops?

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #664 of 62,670
What is the useful life of these wireless IEM’s? All of these IEM’s run on battery. I do not believe the battery is replaceable. If you cannot replace the battery, what do you get? Three years tops?

Considering it's a pretty tiny battery and they're not doing anything exceptionally strenuous I'd imagine they'll survive a long damn time.

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #665 of 62,670
Thinking about it some more, you are probably correct. Batteries are on my mind. My Jambox’s battery died after six years of daily continuous use. And I just had Apple replace the battery in my iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6 was 3 1/2 years old but Apple told me my battery still had 89% life left. My Jawbone Bluetooth ‘handsfree’ Seems to be working fine after six years. So I’m thinking of batteries.
Reading the FAQ’s on the Nuheara, iqbuds website, they rate the life of the battery and the life of the earphones at 2-3 years if used continuously every day. Which started me thinking of my Bose and Sennheiser bluetooth earphones. And how their batteries may not be replaceable. And then the room started spinning :) In my experience with Lithium Ion cells, they build memory over time and they wear out and will no longer hold much of a charge. It’s gonna happen to these devices over time. For a moment a horror flashed in front of my eyes....a drawer full of expensive, disposable wireless earphones.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #666 of 62,670
Exactly. I'd say you'll get at least 5 out of these. Obviously those guys are gonna tell you 2-3 because they want you replacing them with new models, but I think that's just garbage. Lithium Ion batteries (is it funny that would be LiFe?) are getting better at longevity. I'd be willing to bet that nearly everyone with these will either be upgrading or break them via other means long before the battery dies.

Update: Using the "vocal" setting on the wf-sp700n. Bass is still hella strong, but it's full of energy overall and the boost in the vocal range seems to even out the clarity. I have no idea what is going on with the EQ that Sony shows in the Headphones app, though. It only barely seems to relate.

EDIT: By the by, this might be a dumb question but... shouldn't the Sony last a lot longer on battery if the ANC is off? Or is that circuitry always "active" even if it's not doing anything? Because when I'm just sitting around the house I like using them but I'm unsure about battery life.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #667 of 62,670
Why is it every other pure wireless headphones but the AirPods have connection and sync problems? Everyone I know have no complains about this aspect of their AirPods, same most reviewers. What is Apple's secret sauce that nobody seems to be able to reproduce, W2 chip? Macaroni shape housing big antennas? Tight coupling with phone's hardware and iOS and less variation thereof?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #668 of 62,670
Why is it every other pure wireless headphones but the AirPods have connection and sync problems? Everyone I know have no complains about this aspect of their AirPods, same most reviewers. What is Apple's secret sauce that nobody seems to be able to reproduce, W2 chip? Macaroni shape housing big antennas?

The W1 chip is really good. I should note however, there are many Apple forum threads of users with Airpods who experience drop out/connection issues too.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #669 of 62,670
Why is it every other pure wireless headphones but the AirPods have connection and sync problems? Everyone I know have no complains about this aspect of their AirPods, same most reviewers. What is Apple's secret sauce that nobody seems to be able to reproduce, W2 chip? Macaroni shape housing big antennas? Tight coupling with phone's hardware and iOS and less variation thereof?

No, not really. The Jabra Elite Sport is flawless in that regard. After the latest FW update even the slight sync issue they had with the YouTube app is now resolved.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #670 of 62,670

This is not my experience. In general, I have not had connection or sync problems with any current gen true wireless.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #672 of 62,670

Because Apple made the headphones, the phone, AND the operating system. This isn't terribly difficult. The IconX has nearly no connection issues with the Galaxy phones, and if they were running GalaxyOS they'd have even fewer.

And that's great and all, but considering the Airpods are generally crap in other regards I'm pretty satisfied with dealing with occasional stutters.

BTW the Sony WF-SP700n has a really neat feature where it can put its focus on sound quality or connection stability. Connection hasn't been an issue for me, but hey. It's there.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #673 of 62,670
Good to hear, but I'm just judging by this thread and my own experience with Beoplay E8 and Jabbra 65t. Granted these two have only minor intermittent problems on Manhattan streets mostly, but still.

Admittedly, I do not use any of my TW earphones outside or in a large city so I now understand why there may be connection issues in your setting. On the flipside, I use them in busy gyms with lots of people using BT headsets, wifi all around and televisions so plenty of things available to cause interference.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #674 of 62,670
The only thing that's ever given me any interference is our bigass TV, but you gotta be walking right past it for that. And it happens with everything.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #675 of 62,670
Something weird happened to me yesterday with my Jabra 65t elite actives. I put my headset on before I went into a local Walmart to hear music and make phone some calls while shopping. My headset started acting very wonky, the connection was not solid, I kept hearing like it was connecting and disconnecting but actually it wasn't, it was that weird clipping/static, hiss no hiss type of sound it kept coming in and out. the sound quality wasn't very good either. I took them off put them back into the case to reset everything and when I put them back on and made a phone call. my brother instantly said I sounded way too loud! and everything around me was also very loud! it was hard for him to understand me, it hurt his ears. so I ended the call and when I got home I listened to them again and they still did not sound right, so unpaired the 65t active from my Samsung note 8 phone and re-paired them to my phone. that seem to clear up the wonkiness but I'm not 100% sure yet. they do sound better now, but we will see. I remember my Samsung iconx 2018 never did this, rock solid, dependable no wonkiness at all. I will keep an eye or ear one this incase It happens again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back