Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #61,336 of 62,214
It's been so long since I went through this experiment myself, I just don't remember. I think the lower the number you could be okay. Might want to be safe and get the iFi Go Pods. You lose a few features, but they're solid adapters.
1st: Thanks to you all for the help and putting up with the course 101 questions. :beerchug:

The iFi Go Pods AND the Shure are in the cart, with the adaptors:)....but...with the Encore being custom-shelled IEM, I wonder if I can get a good fit?

Looking at the Shanling M200 neckband it might be a better option for fitting?

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #61,337 of 62,214
Also if you could do me a favor and take them on a bike ride at 18mph or so and let me know how they do with wind, I’d appreciate it!
I could do that because I do love to ride my bike, especially all over New York City. Just with the earbuds in, it's easier to die :)

But seriously it wouldn't be bad in the park or on the greenways. Since spring is just starting I'd probably cruise around 15 but then that becomes 17. By the middle of summer could do 20 for decent stretches on the flats. I don't ride too often, And it's a flat bar gravel bike for Urban exploration.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #61,338 of 62,214
I could do that because I do love to ride my bike, especially all over New York City. Just with the earbuds in, it's easier to die :)

But seriously it wouldn't be bad in the park or on the greenways. Since spring is just starting I'd probably cruise around 15 but then that becomes 17. By the middle of summer could do 20 for decent stretches on the flats. I don't ride too often, And it's a flat bar gravel bike for Urban exploration.
Well, even though we’ve had our moments, I wouldn’t wish death on you. Plus if you die, I’d never know how they work in the wind. So buds only in Central Park.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #61,339 of 62,214
1st: Thanks to you all for the help and putting up with the course 101 questions. :beerchug:

The iFi Go Pods AND the Shure are in the cart, with the adaptors:)....but...with the Encore being custom-shelled IEM, I wonder if I can get a good fit?

That's why we're all here. I stop answering at 102 question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Honestly, happy to help.

I'm not a big fan of the bands, but you never know, it might work. Curious, can you post a few pics of the Noble you have? Would love to see what your custom shell looks like.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #61,340 of 62,214
That's why we're all here. I stop answering at 102 question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Honestly, happy to help.

I'm not a big fan of the bands, but you never know, it might work. Curious, can you post a few pics of the Noble you have? Would love to see what your custom shell looks like.
I posted 2 pix in the thread. Look 👀 above. Out and about, be home on a hour can post more?

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #61,341 of 62,214

At this point I know where this rabbit hole ends. Any secrets to getting the pods at a discount ?

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #61,342 of 62,214
I posted 2 pix in the thread. Look 👀 above. Out and about, be home on a hour can post more?
Looks like the iFi Go Pods would work nicely with them. They're made to work with higher end IEMs whereas the Shure are geared toward the Shure OEM IEMs. It's a roll of the dice if aftermarket IEMs work and fit well with the Shure TW2 adapters. I've managed to have good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.jpeg
    IMG_8716.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8717.jpeg
    IMG_8717.jpeg
    805.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #61,343 of 62,214
I've posted this before but it seems new people are exploring the Go Pods and Shure TW2.

From having experience both with the Go Pods and the TW2. IMO, the Go Pods are better if you are mostly listening at home. The case is huge, it does not have great build quality, making it far less a Go Pod than a Stay at Home Pod. They do sound great but the cable from the pod to the IEM can easily be too short for some and/or too stiff. Myself and others had this complaint, which lessened comfort for any longer listening session. I like touch button control, but the pod part of the Go Pods could be too short with not enough surface area poking out from behind your ear to always make it easy to touch right.

Again not so bad chilling at home but annoying on the go. The charging contacts could easily get too dirty to charge and had to be cleaned. No big deal but never had that issue with any TWS before, ones I used much more. And lastly, no app. They can tell you as many times as they want the no app thing is on purpose; it's for a simple put 'em on and forget them experience, but they were just cheap and wanted more money. You don't have to use an app if you don't want to, but even just for firmware updates, come on. Anyway, people do want the option with TWS for basic app features, especially at a premium price. They are $400, they should come with an app, and are overpriced for what you get. Should be max $299. Max. Also the company gaslit the Pod owners with a thread in the sponsored forum essentially promising an app built with community feedback, then almost a year later, when pressed, had zero update on it. As in they hadn't even bothered to start. Too cheap to hire an app developer. But for purely SQ, they are very nice. Imagine with an app and some basic features?

But the Pods are a unique product, so I guess they can get away with an overpriced and under-featured product because of that. I don't respect that type of business practice though. But I get it, when there are a lack of options, there you go. This crap happens.

The Shure TW2. For me, much better portable package, both the case size and the actual device. Serviceable app. A great transparency mode. EQ. They do not put out as much volume, but you can increase it by selecting a different Shure IEM profile, still not as much as the Go Pod. But no lossless codec, but with AptX. And of course, only MMCX. Also the controls are push button, and surprisingly, I really liked their implementation. Works with gloves. Also the controls are slightly customizable. The transparency mode is not only great, better than any TWS I've used, but you can also set it to pause the music when entering ambient mode. To me, that is a small but huge quality of life feautre.

I couldnt' warrant having a $400 invested in a TWS system that was best used at home vs on the go so I sold the Go Pods, your mileage may vary. I can just plug in my IEM's to an A&K HB1 or even the iFi Go Blu and I'm fine with that on many walks, let alone at home. It's so convenient, to me.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #61,344 of 62,214
After watching the video review of the new M100, I wish I didn't order them. Seems like the phone call quality is poor, the ANC is good but the transparency mode might be average, and no customizable touch controls. I probably should have watched that first lol. Goddamn impulse buying based on the previous memories of the touch.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #61,345 of 62,214
At this point I know where this rabbit hole ends. Any secrets to getting the pods at a discount ?
Looks like the iFi Go Pods would work nicely with them. They're made to work with higher end IEMs whereas the Shure are geared toward the Shure OEM IEMs. It's a roll of the dice if aftermarket IEMs work and fit well with the Shure TW2 adapters. I've managed to have good luck.
I've posted this before but it seems new people are exploring the Go Pods and Shure TW2..................
Appreciate it, thanks. I've ordered both the iFi Go Pods and the Shure TW2, with the 2>MMCX adapters..... delivery on Monday. I'm traveling a lot between now and then. Looking forward to playing with the MTW4 along the way! I'll bring the Encores sans cable and with a little luck one or both (I want to eat lettuce!) will fit and then decide what to keep, if either.

Pixel, how do you like the A&K HB 1? When I'm in the park next week, I'll be thinking of you NOT bicycling around town. My G-d no life insurance company on the planet would issue a policy if you listed bike riding in Manhattan on your application!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #61,348 of 62,214
This is about to be a quite packed couple of weeks for me in terms of TWS's!

2 days ago I got the Sennheiser MTW4's, the Aviot TE-ZX1 are expected to be here April 2nd, I'm getting the JBL Epic Lab Edition either today or on Tuesday (Easter is messing up the delivery times here), and I also ordered the Cambridge Audio M100's! My wallet is crying, but I'm excited!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #61,349 of 62,214
I've posted this before but it seems new people are exploring the Go Pods and Shure TW2.

From having experience both with the Go Pods and the TW2. IMO, the Go Pods are better if you are mostly listening at home. The case is huge, it does not have great build quality, making it far less a Go Pod than a Stay at Home Pod. They do sound great but the cable from the pod to the IEM can easily be too short for some and/or too stiff. Myself and others had this complaint, which lessened comfort for any longer listening session. I like touch button control, but the pod part of the Go Pods could be too short with not enough surface area poking out from behind your ear to always make it easy to touch right.

Again not so bad chilling at home but annoying on the go. The charging contacts could easily get too dirty to charge and had to be cleaned. No big deal but never had that issue with any TWS before, ones I used much more. And lastly, no app. They can tell you as many times as they want the no app thing is on purpose; it's for a simple put 'em on and forget them experience, but they were just cheap and wanted more money. You don't have to use an app if you don't want to, but even just for firmware updates, come on. Anyway, people do want the option with TWS for basic app features, especially at a premium price. They are $400, they should come with an app, and are overpriced for what you get. Should be max $299. Max. Also the company gaslit the Pod owners with a thread in the sponsored forum essentially promising an app built with community feedback, then almost a year later, when pressed, had zero update on it. As in they hadn't even bothered to start. Too cheap to hire an app developer. But for purely SQ, they are very nice. Imagine with an app and some basic features?

But the Pods are a unique product, so I guess they can get away with an overpriced and under-featured product because of that. I don't respect that type of business practice though. But I get it, when there are a lack of options, there you go. This crap happens.

The Shure TW2. For me, much better portable package, both the case size and the actual device. Serviceable app. A great transparency mode. EQ. They do not put out as much volume, but you can increase it by selecting a different Shure IEM profile, still not as much as the Go Pod. But no lossless codec, but with AptX. And of course, only MMCX. Also the controls are push button, and surprisingly, I really liked their implementation. Works with gloves. Also the controls are slightly customizable. The transparency mode is not only great, better than any TWS I've used, but you can also set it to pause the music when entering ambient mode. To me, that is a small but huge quality of life feautre.

I couldnt' warrant having a $400 invested in a TWS system that was best used at home vs on the go so I sold the Go Pods, your mileage may vary. I can just plug in my IEM's to an A&K HB1 or even the iFi Go Blu and I'm fine with that on many walks, let alone at home. It's so convenient, to me.
Moondrop have announced something that looks similar to the go pods

https://twitter.com/MoondropLab/status/1772915855233298808?t=5tLoQjcEYJsATEVjlpFPcA&s=19

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240328-095731.png
    Screenshot_20240328-095731.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back