Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #60,362 of 62,606
hello head-fiers, i am new here and i have a question, my sony xm3 died and i will purchase a new one but the market now have alot of tws to choose, so to make it simple i am choosing between devialet gemini 2 and mw09 or a recommendation in the same catogery, my priority is for sound.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #60,364 of 62,606
hello head-fiers, i am new here and i have a question, my sony xm3 died and i will purchase a new one but the market now have alot of tws to choose, so to make it simple i am choosing between devialet gemini 2 and mw09 or a recommendation in the same catogery, my priority is for sound.
Gemini.

Feb 17, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #60,365 of 62,606
+1

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #60,366 of 62,606
I am a complete virgin as far as wireless IEM/Headphones are concerned. I only have ever own wired headphones.

With that said, can I get some recommendations for best sounding wireless IEMs under $100, perhaps $150? I don't care about receiving calls, noise cancellation, or any of that except for purely sound quality and comfort. I'll be using them to listen to music/podcasts while working. I noticed the Soundcore Liberty 4 or Liberty 4NC (which one sound better?) seems to be well regarded but wouldn't mind putting them up against a couple other options.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #60,367 of 62,606
I decided to try the Soundpeats Opera 5. They are under $100 and I have never tried that brand. I have to admit I am bored... lol

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #60,368 of 62,606
I am a complete virgin as far as wireless IEM/Headphones are concerned. I only have ever own wired headphones.

With that said, can I get some recommendations for best sounding wireless IEMs under $100, perhaps $150? I don't care about receiving calls, noise cancellation, or any of that except for purely sound quality and comfort. I'll be using them to listen to music/podcasts while working. I noticed the Soundcore Liberty 4 or Liberty 4NC (which one sound better?) seems to be well regarded but wouldn't mind putting them up against a couple other options.

Thanks in advance!
Final ZE3000 is a goodie

Anything from the Nuarl N6 range (specifically the N6 Pro 2 or Mini 2se)

Some people here very bullish on the Mackie mp-20

Are the status pro and Jlab epic air in price range too? Maybe throw them in the mix.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #60,369 of 62,606
Final ZE3000 is a goodie

Anything from the Nuarl N6 range (specifically the N6 Pro 2 or Mini 2se)

Some people here very bullish on the Mackie mp-20

Are the status pro and Jlab epic air in price range too? Maybe throw them in the mix.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will be looking into all of these later tonight. Much appreciated!

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #60,370 of 62,606
My MTW3s have been getting on my nerves (random beeping and popping noises from my left earpiece that seem to happen randomly every few days) and I got the itch again so I stopped by B&H and picked up the Technica AZ80 on my way into the office today. Haven't had much time to play with them or fiddle with the app but they should great even on the stock settings.

Compared to the Elite 10s, they definitely sound clearer and more open (this was with AAC and stock tuning because I had not opened up the app yet) and ANC is definitely stronger than the Elite 10s, which is expected given the semi-open design of the Jabras. Soundstage is fantastic as well.

I took a quick walk down Fifth Avenue in NYC to go pick up lunch and it blocked out the traffic noise really well and reduced the generator noise from the food carts significantly. I was standing on the sidewalk testing ANC and did not even notice the motorcycle stopped at the light until I took one of the earpieces out of my ears (this was on the default "normal" ANC mode since I had not even used the app yet). The ANC allowed me to listen to my music at a comfortable 30% volume, which is great since I tend to listen at low volumes. No noticeable wind noise while walking outside.

They are a bit bass heavy for my taste but that can be EQ'd eventually when I get around to it. In contrast, I have been fiddling with the EQ on my MTW3s for the last year and half because they sound veiled and a bit muddy to me without EQ (this is, of course, personal preference and others may disagree). I got back to the office and found the LDAC and Treble+ settings in the app. LDAC also works well with my Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 and the Treble+ setting made a big difference for me where I don't feel the need to EQ these much right away.

They are also very comfortable but I will need to try some of my other tips since I did notice the seal breaking at times. I do find my Jabra Elite 10s to be more comfortable still (and is still one of my favorites as an all-rounder because of this) and I have not tried making a call yet on my AZ80s,. I may still continue using my Elite 10s for calls because I do like their semi-open design and find them very comfortable. I have had my Jabra Elite 10s run out of battery on me on days where I am just in back to back meetings/calls all day so I am sure the AZ80s will eventually get used for calls as well.

Case is pretty small and pocketable but not as slim as the Elite 10s. Photo is attached for comparison purposes. Wireless charging works well.

My MTW3s make me nervous every time I put them on because of the popping/thumping noise that sometimes happens so they will probably join the rest of my unused TWS in a box. Think I will be pretty happy for now having my Jabra Elite 10 and Technica AZ80s with me as my primary daily TWS.

Thanks in advance!
I have owned both models of the Liberty 4. The original is a bit flatter sounding the NC is a bit warmer. I ended up selling both, they just never jived with my sound preferences, I actually liked the sound of their older sibling Liberty 3 Pro more.

In your price range their ar e several other options. I have a pair of Soundpeats Opera 5 coming in tomorrow so will give some feedback on how they sound.

Are you on Apple or Android for your source? If Apple then several other brand come into play as Apple just supports SBC/AAC where as android opens up LDAC and depending on your phone APTx and the higher codecs above base APTx.

If Apple you could also look at some of the JBL TWS stick or earbud style as they all are discounted at the moment.

I also own the Mackie MP-20TWS and they are definitely a great sounding TWS, very well tuned witha good hybrid driver configurations. They only support SBC/AAC but I find their tuning and design more than make up for the lack of LDAC or other hires codec. But they have no app, so they can not be EQ from their own own app or have FW updates. But for me they sound good enough I have no need for EQ and while they have the occasional hiccup I find they don't need any FW fixes.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #60,371 of 62,606
I have owned both models of the Liberty 4. The original is a bit flatter sounding the NC is a bit warmer. I ended up selling both, they just never jived with my sound preferences, I actually liked the sound of their older sibling Liberty 3 Pro more.

In your price range their ar e several other options. I have a pair of Soundpeats Opera 5 coming in tomorrow so will give some feedback on how they sound.

Are you on Apple or Android for your source? If Apple then several other brand come into play as Apple just supports SBC/AAC where as android opens up LDAC and depending on your phone APTx and the higher codecs above base APTx.

If Apple you could also look at some of the JBL TWS stick or earbud style as they all are discounted at the moment.

I also own the Mackie MP-20TWS and they are definitely a great sounding TWS, very well tuned witha good hybrid driver configurations. They only support SBC/AAC but I find their tuning and design more than make up for the lack of LDAC or other hires codec. But they have no app, so they can not be EQ from their own own app or have FW updates. But for me they sound good enough I have no need for EQ and while they have the occasional hiccup I find they don't need any FW fixes.

Thanks for the informative reply. FWIW, I am an Apple guy.

Per the Liberty 4, the NC sounds more to my preference than the regular L4 based on you description. However, I am going to look into the IEMs that you, as well as SynaestheticA, has mentioned.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #60,372 of 62,606
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #60,374 of 62,606
So I’ve had the Mystique for a day finding the fit to be an issue comfort wise.
Looks like I will be moving them on would the Gemini 2 be the next pair to try or perhaps the soon to be released SMTW 4 ?
Or any suggestions
Creative Aurvana Ace 2 and Denon PerL Pro are also some to try out imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back