Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 7, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #60,124 of 63,189
I do wonder when the embargo for the Sennheiser MTW4 ends...Really looking forward to them :) Pre order begins in like 15th of this month? Hopefully they'll get shipped soon after.
I'm kinda meh on these. Same drivers? Same shape? A new codec most of us can't use? Looks like a big pile of nothing to me. Maybe I'm missing something. The active exercise versions look far more intriguing. We saw a bunch of manufactures do this last year. Incremental updates or same product in a shiny new form factor. @Noble, are they still on vacation over there? Or is that Triumph manufacturing line cranking those bad boys out?

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #60,125 of 63,189
I'm kinda meh on these. Same drivers? Same shape? A new codec most of us can't use? Looks like a big pile of nothing to me. Maybe I'm missing something. The active exercise versions look far more intriguing. We saw a bunch of manufactures do this last year. Incremental updates or same product in a shiny new form factor. @Noble, are they still on vacation over there? Or is that Triumph manufacturing line cranking those bad boys out?
Still, the MTW3s were solid, even an incremental update will be quite nice. I'll be looking forward to test aptx lossless with my Xperia!

The Nobles will likely sound better, but from a technical standpoint the MTW3s will triumph. Thinking about codec support, voice calls, ANC and especially app features (especially custom controls and ability to automatically pause the music).

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #60,127 of 63,189
My MTW3s have been getting on my nerves (random beeping and popping noises from my left earpiece that seem to happen randomly every few days) and I got the itch again so I stopped by B&H and picked up the Technica AZ80 on my way into the office today. Haven't had much time to play with them or fiddle with the app but they should great even on the stock settings.

Compared to the Elite 10s, they definitely sound clearer and more open (this was with AAC and stock tuning because I had not opened up the app yet) and ANC is definitely stronger than the Elite 10s, which is expected given the semi-open design of the Jabras. Soundstage is fantastic as well.

I took a quick walk down Fifth Avenue in NYC to go pick up lunch and it blocked out the traffic noise really well and reduced the generator noise from the food carts significantly. I was standing on the sidewalk testing ANC and did not even notice the motorcycle stopped at the light until I took one of the earpieces out of my ears (this was on the default "normal" ANC mode since I had not even used the app yet). The ANC allowed me to listen to my music at a comfortable 30% volume, which is great since I tend to listen at low volumes. No noticeable wind noise while walking outside.

They are a bit bass heavy for my taste but that can be EQ'd eventually when I get around to it. In contrast, I have been fiddling with the EQ on my MTW3s for the last year and half because they sound veiled and a bit muddy to me without EQ (this is, of course, personal preference and others may disagree). I got back to the office and found the LDAC and Treble+ settings in the app. LDAC also works well with my Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 and the Treble+ setting made a big difference for me where I don't feel the need to EQ these much right away.

They are also very comfortable but I will need to try some of my other tips since I did notice the seal breaking at times. I do find my Jabra Elite 10s to be more comfortable still (and is still one of my favorites as an all-rounder because of this) and I have not tried making a call yet on my AZ80s,. I may still continue using my Elite 10s for calls because I do like their semi-open design and find them very comfortable. I have had my Jabra Elite 10s run out of battery on me on days where I am just in back to back meetings/calls all day so I am sure the AZ80s will eventually get used for calls as well.

Case is pretty small and pocketable but not as slim as the Elite 10s. Photo is attached for comparison purposes. Wireless charging works well.

My MTW3s make me nervous every time I put them on because of the popping/thumping noise that sometimes happens so they will probably join the rest of my unused TWS in a box. Think I will be pretty happy for now having my Jabra Elite 10 and Technica AZ80s with me as my primary daily TWS.

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_163245471.jpg
    PXL_20240207_163245471.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_163637029~2.jpg
    PXL_20240207_163637029~2.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_162428667.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20240207_162428667.MP~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_163124254.jpg
    PXL_20240207_163124254.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_163236303.jpg
    PXL_20240207_163236303.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240207_162952447~2.jpg
    PXL_20240207_162952447~2.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #60,128 of 63,189
I didn't want to go with the PNC tuning because I have enough bass
Is the base on the PNK version meant to be bigger / more Boombastic?

Or tighter and more controlled ("better")?

Cause id probs prefer the bass-ier version

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #60,129 of 63,189
Still, the MTW3s were solid, even an incremental update will be quite nice. I'll be looking forward to test aptx lossless with my Xperia!

The Nobles will likely sound better, but from a technical standpoint the MTW3s will triumph. Thinking about codec support, voice calls, ANC and especially app features (especially custom controls and ability to automatically pause the music).

A lot of people in this hobby are just constantly chasing a dragon and that means everything has to be a revolution not an evolution. Look at the water cooler thread it's all about these new tech this and that. And of course sure some new tech is great, But a lot of it's just hype and noise and fomo and a way to keep you spending money as fast as possible, no matter what.

Just try to have a more balanced mindset like you seem to have and you'll be good. If you like the Senn sound, you will probably love the mTW4.

I remember chasing One dragon. This thread was always about the newest stuff. The AZ 60 was like this big big deal. Crushed the big hitters like Sony and Senn.

I bought them I bought into that but after a couple months I haven't picked up the az60
since. And that was a while ago. Because the mtw3 are ultimately more my sound by quite a bit.

By no means am I saying to not try new things. I've just learned the hard way after spending money that it's often just chasing nothing.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #60,130 of 63,189

Sure, I get it. I'm sure they will be fine. I'm kinda of tired of the hype train on these incremental updates.
A lot of people in this hobby are just constantly chasing a dragon and that means everything has to be a revolution not an evolution. Look at the water cooler thread it's all about these new tech this and that. And of course sure some new tech is great, But a lot of it's just hype and noise and fomo and a way to keep you spending money as fast as possible, no matter what.

Just try to have a more balanced mindset like you seem to have and you'll be good. If you like the Senn sound, you will probably love the mTW4.

I remember chasing One dragon. This thread was always about the newest stuff. The AZ 60 was like this big big deal. Crushed the big hitters like Sony and Senn.

I bought them I bought into that but after a couple months I haven't picked up the az60
since. And that was a while ago. Because the mtw3 are ultimately more my sound by quite a bit.

By no means am I saying to not try new things. I've just learned the hard way after spending money that it's often just chasing nothing.
im not sure the MTW4 is even an “evolution”. It looks 97 percent the same.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #60,131 of 63,189
Sure, I get it. I'm sure they will be fine. I'm kinda of tired of the hype train on these incremental updates.

im not sure the MTW4 is even an “evolution”. It looks 97 percent the same.

Thank you for proving my point perfectly. I mean at this point you're just making stuff up. Couldn't have asked for a better response.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #60,133 of 63,189
There's absolutely no giant hype train for the mtw4 at all in this community. That's just nonsense. Also the MTW3 are not 97% the same as the MTW4, That's also nonsense.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #60,135 of 63,189

I remember chasing One dragon. This thread was alwaysj about the newest stuff. The AZ 60 was like this big big deal. Crushed the big hitters like Sony and Senn.

If there’s a point in this long winded rubbish, I sure missed it. The MTW4 is the perfect example of chasing “nothing”. It’s literally the same as the MTW3. Bose did the exact same thing this year. Re-released the same buds with virtually no upgrades and big marketing hype.

Here’s the puff piece from cnet:

“Sennheiser says the Momentum True Wireless 4 are "loaded with more than a dozen enhancements" and are its "most capable earbud yet." The Bluetooth 5.4 earbuds are built on Qualcomm's S5 Sound Gen 2 platform and Snapdragon Sound Technology "for aptX lossless sound quality and ultra-low latency."

According to Sennheiser, the buds also have Auracast support and an overhauled antenna design "for exceptional signal continuity while on the go." It says the Adaptive ANC has been improved, and there's an upgraded battery system with up to 7.5 hours of battery life (the wireless charging case remains the same). There's no word yet on whether Sennheiser did anything to improve voice-calling performance, so we'll have to wait and test that. I expect to see and hear some modest performance improvements all around.“

Color me unimpressed after what 2 years?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back