Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #59,626 of 63,207
Also, what is the difference between the Falcon Max and the Fokus Triumph for all of you in the know? I haven't seen a clear list of what is different and what's the same in both of those earbuds, except that they both seem to be 1st gen xMEMS earbuds from Noble Audio of course.
I take it that the Falcon is aimed towards Asia and the Triumph against the Western markets/the US, but... What else?
I own a few specific Japan tuned TWS. What I usually noticed from them is the bass is toned down. Usually concentrated on balanced audio. I think the Noble Fokus Triumph will bring what make the Fokus lineup offer. Tons of bass and dynamic v-shape

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #59,627 of 63,207
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #59,629 of 63,207
I ended up getting a set of Linkbuds S last week and skipping the Ace.

I think that my preferences at this moment are quite different to a lot of people in this thread. While I am someone who focuses on SQ, in the case of these, it was more about having something that I can keep on my person at all times for quick use when needed. While I obviously would like the best sound quality possible, in this specific case I was more focused on something that connected quickly, gave me no issue with fit and connectivity, is comfortable and also takes up as little space as possible. I already keep at least a couple of wired sets of IEMs and dongles etc. in my bag for when listening specifically to music.

It is still early days yet, as I haven't really spent too much time with them, but here are a couple of initial impressions:

- Sound quality is ok. It is not the best but I do prefer them to previous Sony TWS that I have tried. The EQ in the app is not exactly the best but it works well enough to adapt them to my general tastes which is fine for when I am grabbing them for a quick youtube video etc.

- When I listen to music I use UAPP which has a 10 band PEQ (along with a 5 band PEQ and also a graphic EQ which can all be used individually). I haven't finished the tweaking yet but in general terms, these can sound pretty good when using the PEQ to adjust most of the things I am not overly keen on.

- I actually like the Sony app. It seems to be stable, no issues with connections etc. and it is pretty easy to quickly access the EQ profiles. Basically what I do is use a custom preset to adjust the tuning more to my preferences when not listening to music via UAPP and then set them to flat when using UAPP (with a better, or at least for me, preset in UAPP). This doesn't take more than 10 seconds or so to change the EQ profile. It also has some nice features in the app, along with some that I have no need for but they aren't overly bloated.

- They are not the loudest of IEMs, especially with a lot of my musical choices that are acoustic and not overly boosted in recordings. However, they do take a bit of gain boost (in UAPP) without seeming to cause any distortion to the naked ear.

- They are small, light and I find them very comfortable. Currently I have opted for using Symbian tips (which are silicone with foam filling) which improves the passive isolation and makes the ANC work pretty darn well. I will be flying next week so I will put that to the test then. My usual set up for flying is a set of ANC overears with wired IEMs beneath but this time I am just going to use the Linkbuds S and see how they hold up (it's only 3 or 4 flights of a few hours each throughout the week, so I won't go crazy if they turn out to not be great). As far as SQ, I will probably play around with some other tips but stick with foam filled silicone as they seem to pair well with these.

I guess that's enough for basic initial impressions. I know these aren't exactly new, so there are probably tons of opinions in this thread already, but I thought I would share anyway.

(On another note, it seems I have the Rose Technics Ceramics incoming, so I guess I will share opinions of them also when they are here)

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #59,630 of 63,207
So basically, 2024 is the year to save up for the next gen xMems. Gotcha.

In the meantime, those who want to know how sound from ultrasound works, can watch this video. Awesome explanation!

He's wrong about the record player needle though, which actually moves in two dimensions (for stereo).

Anyway, the Cypress speaker's ultrasonic pulses work pretty much like in his demo, just that demodulation is done by piezoelectric valves.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #59,631 of 63,207
Also, what is the difference between the Falcon Max and the Fokus Triumph for all of you in the know? I haven't seen a clear list of what is different and what's the same in both of those earbuds, except that they both seem to be 1st gen xMEMS earbuds from Noble Audio of course.
I take it that the Falcon is aimed towards Asia and the Triumph against the Western markets/the US, but... What else?
I'm not sure, but the Cowell assembly dynamic driver is 10mm and the Engadget article says the Triumph is paired with a 6.5mm. If that is not bad info then Noble might be doing something custom.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #59,632 of 63,207
Not TWS but if you like this style as well they will be coming soon...
1704981105818.png

Mondo Freestyle. BT5.3 22 hours of battery life and 36mm driver in 4 colors including a clear and pink for the girls.
https://mondobydefunc.com/freestyle/

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #59,633 of 63,207
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #59,635 of 63,207
Those came with my Walkman in 1986.
Oh stop. We only had BT2.1 back then. I did have the cassette player that popped out of the top of the boombox back then. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #59,636 of 63,207
Earfun Air Pro 4
1704983190800.jpeg

"It is certified as Hi-Res Audio Wireless and supports aptX adaptive Loseless, LDAC, and LC3 codecs. Bluetooth version is 5.4. It also supports Snapdragon Sound and Auracast.

Driver size is 10mm. Compatible with "QuietSmart 3.0 Hybrid Adaptive Active Noise Cancellation" active noise canceling with an effect of up to 45dB. In addition, it is said that the delay of less than 55ms makes it ideal for games and videos. Equipped with IPX5 waterproofing, the earbuds have a battery life of 11 hours, and the case can charge for 41 hours. To be released in June for $79.99 "

Nice specs for the price. So, take this and throw in a Cypress and perhaps a better housing material and care for the sound path and minimizing reflections and vibrations and what $149? I like the Engadget article where they say getting Mems will mean you won't pay more and $150 is achievable day one. Like how they are trying to set the price but not sure we will see it widespread. Not sure the Sony's, Senns, Noble, B&O etc. will follow the this should be more affordable thing instead of the it sounds better than our $299 model so it should be $349.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #59,638 of 63,207
Earfun Air Pro 4
1704983190800.jpeg
"It is certified as Hi-Res Audio Wireless and supports aptX adaptive Loseless, LDAC, and LC3 codecs. Bluetooth version is 5.4. It also supports Snapdragon Sound and Auracast.

Driver size is 10mm. Compatible with "QuietSmart 3.0 Hybrid Adaptive Active Noise Cancellation" active noise canceling with an effect of up to 45dB. In addition, it is said that the delay of less than 55ms makes it ideal for games and videos. Equipped with IPX5 waterproofing, the earbuds have a battery life of 11 hours, and the case can charge for 41 hours. To be released in June for $79.99 "
They sound amazing on paper but most chinese buds do and they often fall short and are mainly good bang for the buck. Also the earfun lettering must be the cheapest font there is, looks hideous

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #59,639 of 63,207
Not TWS but if you like this style as well they will be coming soon...
1704981105818.png
Mondo Freestyle. BT5.3 22 hours of battery life and 36mm driver in 4 colors including a clear and pink for the girls.
https://mondobydefunc.com/freestyle/
I can see them selling very well in the mass market, but obviously not something for people that are active on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back