Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #54,631 of 62,619
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #54,632 of 62,619
Hard to know for sure with chi-fi bought and paid for dishonest reviews.
There are plenty of honest reviews on this and other sites. You shouldn't have too much trouble identifying the real gems. Personally, I think the real challenge is making sure you know your preferred sound signature. If not, you can spend a lot of time/effort with EQ.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that although the latest TWS are getting closer to wired sound, they are not there yet.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #54,634 of 62,619
Any Measurements of the Sony XM5 TWS?

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra-ecouteur-true-wireless/sony-wf-1000xm5-p73667/test.html
26593c33-sony-wf-1000xm5-du-miel-pour-les-oreilles.svg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #54,635 of 62,619
There are plenty of honest reviews on this and other sites. You shouldn't have too much trouble identifying the real gems. Personally, I think the real challenge is making sure you know your preferred sound signature. If not, you can spend a lot of time/effort with EQ.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that although the latest TWS are getting closer to wired sound, they are not there yet.
I think they're there and have been for a while.

Not for audiophile sitting down at your desk in a dark room kind of listening. But when you're doing stuff tws can be just as good for sound. Not kilobuck good. But good

For example I have the IMR BC 2023 Very popular by people that have listened. I compared it to the Noble Fokus Pro in a dark room at a desk and yes it has better edge details.

But the Fokus Pro has more colour (good colour) and a thicker sound. I prefer the signature as the BC could be considered duller against it. Really it's just more neutral and 'real'. But for electronic music that don't matter.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #54,637 of 62,619
Okay, I know this is semi-off topic... But I'm thinking of buying some wired IEM's to use with just like an Apple Usb-c adapter...

How much money would I need to spend to buy something that would just completely stomp the best-sounding TWS?

I have the Rai Solo I want to sell, but those wouldn’t impress you much. On the other hand, I have the Advar, which I will probably never sell and which I cannot praise enough.
I use them with the tiny Apple DAC or the THX Onyx, out of Tidal or AppleMusic, from an iPhone XS. Stellar.

Edit: although you’re using Android, there’s an Apple DAC version with USB-C, amazing for its tiny size and tiny price. And the Onyx is USB-C (it just comes with an adapter for USB-A, if you need it, like I do).

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #54,638 of 62,619
I just got my sample from Sony's store of the WF-1000XM5 ..

They are tiny, thicker than what I wished, but maybe still compatible with the head on the side for sleeping for hours (I will see tonight).
I got instant best insertion and sound quality results with some Spinfit CP1025 L tips.. and none of the Sony's foam tips offered me same sealing and passive noise cancelling.
ANC with the spinfit tips seems just amazing..

Buds Touch controls are really efficient and not activated by a cushion.. It can be the best feeling I own compared to AZ80, Buds2 pro, HA-FW1000T, Liberty 4,Elite 7 pro, Airpods Pro 2..

Distance available with Galaxy Z Fold 4 in LDAC mode 990Kbps covers all my house without drops/cuts..

Sound quality in LDAC 990kbps mode is, as expected, maybe not the best SQ on the market, particularly compared to another way of bluetooth devices like IER-M9 or XBA-N3 pugged in a BTR7/Go Blu/Go Pod, but already, as it is, very solid and convincing without EQ not so far from an entry level "hifi" sound quality.
I will compared in the next weeks with my actual TWS references like AZ80 and FW1000T (and a bit behind Buds2 pro)..

I didn't really enjoy the "huge" 1000XM4 and returned them very quickly after buying them.. this time in less than one day, I am sure to keep the XM5 .. they are more compact, sound quality is at an acceptable level, they are very comfortable in my ears, and produce enough sound level pressure to avoid ANC to be activated in a calm environment....

Edit => my first attempt of A/B comparison with AZ80 ... is not really in favour of the XM5. I knew Technics managed to offer a good sound quality for a TWS
I need some more complete A/B tests tracks to confirm anything

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #54,640 of 62,619
We're there!
1000021561.jpg
Thanks for the reminder! I had totally forgotten that I have those KZ dongles ... and they even still had 70% charge when I just dug them out to check if they still work .. and I have way too many sets of (mainly KZ) iems, but never the patience to really play with them nor the in/out of iems when someone dares to speak to me :D

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #54,643 of 62,619
The case is cool looking but impractical. I fall asleep with these in and when they wake me up complaining they need to be recharged putting them in the case in the dark is painful LOL.

The design looks far worse in pictures than in use. These are actually really comfortable and look good in my opinion. They have less issues looking weird than lots of stem styles I have owned.

I am a back sleeper mostly which I why I wear them to bed.

They are big but very comfortable and the size makes them easy to take in and out.
So is it safe to assume that you do not snore :dt880smile: I am not allowed to sleep on my back........

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #54,644 of 62,619
Cancelled my order. I don't need these. Will be interested to hear opinions. But I've never liked Sony's sound signature all that much. Living vicariously through the rest of of you for once. Popping in my Svanar now.
Trigger happy...huh...

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #54,645 of 62,619
So is it safe to assume that you do not snore :dt880smile: I am not allowed to sleep on my back........
Lol snoring is the least of my issues :). I have severe sleep apnea so snore like a freight train!!! The good news is that only happens when I don't use my CPAP machine. When I use it I don't snore because it helps me breath without apnea. I sleep on my back because of years of it being the only position my mask would not leak. My new mask is better so side sleep a bit but generally just sleep on my back as I have grown used to it.

One reason I wear TWS to bed is that it blocks out the sound of my machine and mask. They are pretty quiet but I like blocking out their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back